TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
hitthepacecar
Caveman Engineer

Duh.....

Dam TIVO and digital converter box, I have the same issue Tivo on setup goes to page to select converter box but its empty, I have series 2 single tuner (TCD240040). I also had the hang on please wait, after TIVO did service load via my home network, that was fixed by delete everything and start over.... I think I try it again, tryrd connecting to TIVO service but it didn't fix it. the TIVO has 9.3.2A-01-2-140 software..... I just brought this tivo back from the dead (i.e. hard drive died 4 months ago and got a parts unit on ebay to fix it....) I just want to use the unit with antenna for a spare room... analog signals weak in my area and don't want another Directv payment just for the spare room. PM me or email if TivoJerry or someone else finds a fix or work around. Duh Duh.... need more beer....

P.s. theres another thread about the same issue

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...=list+is+empty

hope it fix soon.

Also I try using the RCA input to the TIVO instead of the coax...

Last edited by hitthepacecar : 01-16-2009 at 05:17 PM.
hitthepacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #32
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

The problem only seems to affect units recently brought back from a long retirement that are running older SW. We're still working on a way to resolve the issue and are making progress. I will let you know more as it becomes available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #33
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Good news...we've made progress that has tested well in the office. If you'd like to have this mapped to your unit, please send me a PM with your service number. I'll map you and send you instructions on what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #34
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

I've received several confirmations from the field of success!

To recap:
If you are repeating Guided Setup for Antenna w/box (digital, ATSC) on a Series2 and you either receiver a Please Wait when entering the list of converter box manufacturers, or that list is blank, send me a PM with your TSN to be mapped for the RunMe (not new SW).

We'll work on getting a fix for this in the next version of S2 SW, so this is just a workaround for now.

If I am unavailable, please call CS to have the case escalated for mapping by others in my team. Thank you all for your patience on this one.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #35
sweetp

Also have blank converter box list upon set up with series 2 unit

I have a series 2 Tivo, which I successfully set up a converter box on a couple of months ago. However, I had to replace the hard drive this week after it died. When going through the setup time, however, the screen that asks you to select the converter box brand from a list is now blank! It worked a couple of months ago, but now i cannot select my converter box because there is no list. Is there a solution to this issue that I see a few other people have?

Thanks,

Paul
sweetp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #36
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Yes. The issue is caused by having an older version of SW for your image.

1> email me with your TSN so I can map you to receive the IRDB update.
2> make a newer image

Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #37
papafreebird

I just had the same problem of getting stuck on Please Wait after the inital connection in guided setup. After calling tivo support I was advised to change my zip code to the next closest town to me and that worked.

Last edited by papafreebird : 07-27-2009 at 09:59 AM.
papafreebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #38
G_spec

Exclamation

I had the same problem. Was able to get further by changing zip codes, but now my DTV converter list is empty in the guided setup. Please help!!
G_spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #39
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

As I've stated previously, send me a PM with your TSN so I can fix it.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #40
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

PM received. Your TSN has been mapped for a runme that will wipe the IRDB setting. If you are still in Guided Setup, please unplug and start again.

If you are no longer in guided setup, you may start it again at this time.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #41
G_spec

Thank you so much Jerry!! The runme did the trick!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #42
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

For posterity's sake (anyone searching in the future): If you encounter this issue with a drive you've imaged, try to find an image newer than 5.3 to build from. IIRC, 7.1 or higher should suffice but that detail wasn't fully vetted. 9.x or higher would be best.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #43
G_spec

I recall my tivo downloaded and installed a pretty large software update (9.3.2) before the guided setup problem came up. Does the original drive image version matter since the Tivo will download and install the software update to the latest version anyway? Will there be a fixed update so the missing DTV converter list issue does not happen again? Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #44
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Yes, the original drive image matters. A new IRDB type had to be created for DTV converters. That DB loads automatically during guided setup. Older SW does not know what to do with that DB type and an update does not clear the problem.

A fix would go out if another software release to the S2 models is ever made, but the volume for this particular issue is almost nonexistent. The workaround is for us to manually map a runme. Customers can call support for this issue and it will be escalated or you can PM me and I'll get to the request when I can (usually pretty quickly but I do take time off without always posting as such).

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #45
crisarn

I am new to the forum and I need 5 posts to send TivoJerry a PM and I don't want to flood the forum with unnecessary posts so.... how do I get to pm him/you?
crisarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #46
hardly

From here it looks like you have enough posts.
Good Luck
hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #47
candyr

Arrow How do I get to the advanced menu to enter IR code?

I have a Series 2/540 dvr w/ software at 9.3.2b-01-2-540. Just got a Zinwell ZAT-970A DTV converter. Tivo says it is supported (which is why I got it). I have run through guided setup a couple of times but have not been able to access the advanced menus to enter the IR code for this converter. From guided setup, I have been able to
1. configure wifi (no change from when I had cable)
2. am able to watch live TV thru the converter (so physical connections are fine and converter has scanned for channels)
3. have configured channels that the converter found (Tivo downloaded the channels available based on zip code).
Then Tivo gets to a screen where it asks what brand of converter I have. Chose Other - still no Zinwell on the next page. I click thumbs up, down, pause, play as described in Tivo support docs (The support doc is for 7.2 software and my screens are very different). The Tivo "dings" a few times and shows my software version (9.3.2) when I click Select to continue (like the doc says). Clicking select on this screen just takes me back to selecting a converter brand. I do not ever get to a "Channel Changing Tests" menu. There is no "Press Enter for advanced settings" message at the bottom of any screen. I press Enter anyway and nothing happens. I have tried going back, have had to unplug and run again etc. Can never get to a place where I can enter an IR code.

Update: When I go to TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels, I only have Channel List now. No "Channel Changing" settings.

Sooo... how do I access the advanced settings menu to enter the IR code for the Zinwell converter? On software version 9.3 (as opposed to 7.2 that the doc describes)?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by candyr : 01-05-2011 at 07:06 PM.
candyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #48
candyr

No video now...

Things have taken a turn for the worse... I no longer see video using Live TV or as part of video setup. Video (and audio) goes thru fine to my TV using the same cables & converter. When I use thumbs up, down, pause, play I can see that Tivo is expecting input via composite cable, which is what I am using. Restarting Tivo had no effect.... Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #49
1629dill

Irdb

Is TivoJerry still around? I am having the same problem, but can not send him a PM.
1629dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #50
candyr

I didn't hear back from TivoJerry. However, Tivo support told me I don't need special updates with the 9.3 OS. They pointed out that you need to enter some converter from the basic menu (pick any from the menu) and go thru a couple steps before you can enter advanced setup mode and enter the code for your converter box. I was able to do this nd get my Zinwell converter working with Tivo. Hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #51
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

1629dill, I received your PM and have mapped you for the runme. For posterity's sake, we at TiVo refer to it as "ClearIrdbType6" (upper/lower case is specific).

It's been awhile since I'd received a request like this and I'd almost forgotten what the RunMe was!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #52
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Steve_heerdt, I've gone ahead and mapped your box. Please remove the last 10 post count bumps so future readers won't have to see them.

For anyone else encountering this issue who does not yet have the ability to send me a private message, please contact customer support via chat or phone and they can help you out.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #53
timelliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
For anyone else encountering this issue who does not yet have the ability to send me a private message, please contact customer support via chat or phone and they can help you out.
I have been online with TiVo support twice today and they say they can't help since I used 3rd party software to image my new drive (InstantCake). I have exactly the same issues described in this thread with a Series 2 stalling at the 'please wait' screen once I try to complete guided setup for an OTA digital converter box. My TiVo is running 9.3.2b but it still does not get past this screen. Am I out of luck or do I have to re-image with updated software?
timelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #54
timelliott

As it turns out you can install a digital set-top box for antenna OTA service but have to clear the TiVo before it will go through guided setup fully. Since my imaging software used a 5.x version here is the process I used to get my single-tuner Series 2 working with an Access HD DTA:

1) Imaged the new drive via InstantCake.
2) Powered up the TiVo and started guided setup via modem (phone) connection.
3) Followed the directions for setting up a cable connection.
4) Once inside 'Now Playing' I forced a connection to TiVo to update. Checked the software version until I had version 9.3.2b forcing connections as needed (I think it took 2 or 3 connections, one of them quite long).
5) Setup my wireless adapter and connected to TiVo to confirm it worked.
6) Went to 'Messages & Settings' > 'Restart or Reset System' > 'Clear & delete everything' (note: 'Repeat Guided Setup' does not work)
7) Followed guided setup again but setup for 'Antenna only' and selected my digital converter box.

Now my TiVo is setup and seems to be working properly. Hope this helps anyone else in the same boat.
timelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #55
kitt0024

Same issue

I am hitting this exact same issue with a Tivo 540 that works great over cable, but we are trying to get it set up with a converter box and the list of converter boxes is totally empty meaning we can't continue with Guided Setup. Have contacted Tivo with the exact info posted by TIVOJerry in this thread and have been getting the runaround for a couple of weeks and am no closer to getting the issue resolved. Hoping to PM for help with the ClearIrdbType6 as no one at Tivo seems to know anything about it, but need to get my post count up first.

Last edited by kitt0024 : 10-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
kitt0024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #56
hardly

I pm'd TIVOJerry on your behalf.

Luck
hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #57
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Apologies for the delay but I was on vacation all last week. I've mapped the box and PM'd kitt0024.

I'd also like to point out that we have a workaround posted online at http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/131 that should've worked as well (IIRC)

Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #58
deswanson

Sorry for Flooding but I need 5 posts

deswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #59
deswanson

Old 06-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
deswanson

Number 3