TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2008, 08:37 AM   #31
dmurphy
[Team 700]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
If you DON'T have the slices, I've made them available with some easy to use scripts (thanks to an anonymous donor) which can be run as follows from the telnet prompt:
Lou -

I just wanted to say thank you SO VERY MUCH for hosting these slices - that was the 'missing key' for me!

I just replaced a bad drive in one of my DTiVo units (an HDVR2) and wanted to get it on the latest-n-greatest software.... I don't particularly care about 'hacking' this box, so what I did was this:

1) Used my trusty InstantCake CD to restore a 6.2 image (not 6.2a - it's an older disc)
2) Booted with my PTVBoot LBA48 boot CD;
3) Inserted my Zipper CD and ran the Zipper Script to enable networking; (didn't bother with any of the enhancement scripts, etc. Just wanted to turn on networking)
4) Used a Linksys USB100M USB-to-Ethernet adapter;
5) Logged into the DTiVo, downloaded the slices via wget;
6) Edited & ran installSw.itcl to install it.

LIFE IS GOOD - we're up and going. Thanks again so much for your wonderful tools - they really make all the difference in the world!!

Now, if only we had some nifty new software for the Series1 boxes - I've got a Series1 box that feels awfully lonely

Thanks again!

--Dennis
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #32
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
No loss of recordings. When the drive does the initial Boot it is not yet paired with the machine. The initial boot does the pairing as well as choosing which slices match the hardware. As long as you are using the same motherboard the recordings will match.
Didn't work for me. I tried multiple numbers even and still no update by putting the drive in another machine that got the update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #33
rbtravis

Sorry, I did it eight times straight with a Philips DSR708 motherboard. It downloaded each time.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #34
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtravis View Post
Sorry, I did it eight times straight with a Philips DSR708 motherboard. It downloaded each time.
Maybe my local connections are just bad. I even tried connecting with an old DSR704 with the original drive on 6.2 and it didn't download. I also tried with an old Hughes unit also with no success. Oh well glad to hear it worked for you. I will keep trying with my old machines.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #35
rbtravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Maybe my local connections are just bad. I even tried connecting with an old DSR704 with the original drive on 6.2 and it didn't download. I also tried with an old Hughes unit also with no success. Oh well glad to hear it worked for you. I will keep trying with my old machines.
I heard from TiVoupgrade that they have also experienced like problems. check your PM
Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #36
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
Lou -

I just wanted to say thank you SO VERY MUCH for hosting these slices - that was the 'missing key' for me!

I just replaced a bad drive in one of my DTiVo units (an HDVR2) and wanted to get it on the latest-n-greatest software.... I don't particularly care about 'hacking' this box, so what I did was this:

1) Used my trusty InstantCake CD to restore a 6.2 image (not 6.2a - it's an older disc)
2) Booted with my PTVBoot LBA48 boot CD;
3) Inserted my Zipper CD and ran the Zipper Script to enable networking; (didn't bother with any of the enhancement scripts, etc. Just wanted to turn on networking)
4) Used a Linksys USB100M USB-to-Ethernet adapter;
5) Logged into the DTiVo, downloaded the slices via wget;
6) Edited & ran installSw.itcl to install it.

LIFE IS GOOD - we're up and going. Thanks again so much for your wonderful tools - they really make all the difference in the world!!

Now, if only we had some nifty new software for the Series1 boxes - I've got a Series1 box that feels awfully lonely

Thanks again!

--Dennis
Dennis,

Glad that worked for you! Thx!

innocentfreak, et al; please review this post if you haven't seen it already. there is just no way to 'force' the download to happen if its no longer being sent to your unit (either by satellite or through telephone/network download). some units are getting the updates, and not others...

Lou
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #37
webdeck
Gadget Guru

tivoupgrade,

Do you have a script for an HR10-250 (01-2-357)? I got a 500 error trying to download that one. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #38
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeck View Post
tivoupgrade,

Do you have a script for an HR10-250 (01-2-357)? I got a 500 error trying to download that one. Thanks!
Should work fine with slicer -d 6.4a-01-2-357.

Just put this up as well, but it is untested:

Code:
wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/getslice-6.4a-01-2-357
cd /var/packages
sh ./getslice
Please reply to let us know whether or not it works for you (and what errors you get if it doesn't...)

Cheers,
Lou

Old 09-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #39
webdeck
Gadget Guru

Quote:
Should work fine with slicer -d 6.4a-01-2-357.

Just put this up as well, but it is untested:

Code:
wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/getslice-6.4a-01-2-357
cd /var/packages
sh ./getslice
Please reply to let us know whether or not it works for you (and what errors you get if it doesn't...)

Cheers,
Lou
Thanks - that was fast! I'm still getting error 500 from wget:

Code:
# wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/getslice-6.4a-01-2-357
Connecting to www.dvrupgrade.com[68.178.174.174]:80
wget: server returned error 500: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #40
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdeck View Post
Thanks - that was fast! I'm still getting error 500 from wget:

Code:
# wget -O /var/packages/getslice http://www.dvrupgrade.com/software/update_tool/getslice-6.4a-01-2-357
Connecting to www.dvrupgrade.com[68.178.174.174]:80
wget: server returned error 500: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
I forgot to update one file. Sorry.

It should work now.

Lou

Old 09-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #41
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

When you finalize your 6.4a Instant Cake product, can you please include MFS_FTP as an installed and running by default process? I ask because there is no MRV in 6.4a, but there is HME. The HME application MovieLoader replaces and even improves on the MRV processes. It should not be harmful to those who don't use or need it.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:35 PM   #42
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
When you finalize your 6.4a Instant Cake product, can you please include MFS_FTP as an installed and running by default process? I ask because there is no MRV in 6.4a, but there is HME. The HME application MovieLoader replaces and even improves on the MRV processes. It should not be harmful to those who don't use or need it.

the author of mfs_ftp doesn't even provide an updated version. read the mfs_ftp thread and README for reasons he doesn't want anyone selling his program. besides, Instantcake is a virgin image, so any extra files will get nuked once you boot up after using it.

Lou (and your anonymous donor), thanks for the 357 slice.
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #43
texster

dcstager-

If you are having trouble installing mfs_ftp on on your, try following these instructions:

http://dvrpedia.com/MFS_FTP
texster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #44
webdeck
Gadget Guru

Quote:
I forgot to update one file. Sorry.

It should work now.

Lou
Worked like a charm! Thank you so much!

-Mike
Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #45
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
When you finalize your 6.4a InstantCake product, can you please include MFS_FTP as an installed and running by default process? I ask because there is no MRV in 6.4a, but there is HME. The HME application MovieLoader replaces and even improves on the MRV processes. It should not be harmful to those who don't use or need it.

Nope. InstantCake is just for building a new replacement hard drive, plain and simple. We'd never bundle anything like that with something like InstantCake.

If what you meant was to include it with something like PTVnet, which is the tool for turning on USB ports, installing telnet, ftp and TiVoWebPlus, then the answer would still have to be "nope." MFS_FTP is not redistributable in that way (unless Riley has changed the rules with respect to his code) and since MFS_FTP is an extraction tool, it also muddies the waters when it comes to DRM issues. BTW, for MFS_FTP to be useful, you'd need to turn off encryption on your unit anyway, and that is also something we cannot do.

Sorry...

Lou

PS Webdeck - glad all is well.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #46
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Yes, I'm obviously confusing the PTVnet product -- which I purchased long ago when your company started up. The procedure you posted for forcing an upgrade is much appreciated and much needed - thank you for that effort!

At least the DIY set will have something to keep us busy.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #47
sk33t3r

Ok im a little confused here, if you do the wget to download the slices to /var/packages and then run ./getslice. What exactly happens, does the system get upgraded to 6.4 or are just the slices loaded into the db? I dont want to loose my enhancements so I guess it would be wise to download the slicer, Is the slicer to the same for dsr7000 and hdvr2, i have several units all different models.
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
sk33t3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #48
rbtravis

Its the same for the HDVR2 and DSR7000 Make sure you load the correct slices.
http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...ison_chart.cfm
The process of enabling the slices may erase your hacks.

Last edited by rbtravis : 09-21-2008 at 08:10 PM.
rbtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #49
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33t3r View Post
Ok im a little confused here, if you do the wget to download the slices to /var/packages and then run ./getslice. What exactly happens, does the system get upgraded to 6.4 or are just the slices loaded into the db? I dont want to loose my enhancements so I guess it would be wise to download the slicer, Is the slicer to the same for dsr7000 and hdvr2, i have several units all different models.
Take a look at post #21 of this thread for the full information; short answer is it just loads the slices if you don't have them (the equivalent of the -d option in slicer).

You would still have to manually install them, once loaded, and copy/preserve your hacks - and that is what slicer does.

Same version of slicer for all models....

Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #50
sk33t3r

Thank you

Quote:
Take a look at post #21 of this thread for the full information; short answer is it just loads the slices if you don't have them (the equivalent of the -d option in slicer).

You would still have to manually install them, once loaded, and copy/preserve your hacks - and that is what slicer does.

Same version of slicer for all models....

HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #51
sk33t3r

im at 6.4a, via wget and slice. The only thing that doesnt start thus far is TivoWeb, but i can start it manually.

Thanks DVRUPGRADE
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #52
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Rerun the tweak.sh script again. It will install Tivoweb but not the latest. You have to upgrade to the latest from the version the script will install. Also, you need to change your fakecall.tcl to an older version available on DDB and put the DDB version of fakecall.tcl into /busybox. Look for Alphawolf's utilities and extract the working fakecall.tcl from that collection.

Last edited by dcstager : 09-30-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #53
sk33t3r

I went back to 6.2a, with the latest zipper, I did downlaod teh slices jsut for any future needs
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #54
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
I went back to 6.2a, with the latest zipper, I did downlaod teh slices jsut for any future needs
If you download the slices with the upgrade method here, they will only remain in the MFS for a day or so and then get wiped and you have to do it again. It's better to wait until you are ready to do the upgrade, download the slices and install them immediately. They won't persist on your machine. Just FYI for those who think once they have them they'll be able to keep them until needed.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #55
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
If you download the slices with the upgrade method here, they will only remain in the MFS for a day or so and then get wiped and you have to do it again. It's better to wait until you are ready to do the upgrade, download the slices and install them immediately. They won't persist on your machine. Just FYI for those who think once they have them they'll be able to keep them until needed.
Either that, or download them and keep them in a safe place. The issue is whether or not you dbload them or not, unless I'm mistaken...

Lou

Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #56
sk33t3r

Quote:
Either that, or download them and keep them in a safe place. The issue is whether or not you dbload them or not, unless I'm mistaken...

Lou
I have them up on the web, so that I or anyone else can get them or you could put them in /hacks or /enhancements
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re
Old 10-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #57
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I have them up on the web, so that I or anyone else can get them or you could put them in /hacks or /enhancements
That is good that they are in more the one place. I have no intentions of taking them down, but then again, you never know.

For those just tuning in, please see this post for instructions.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #58
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:

Lou
Lou, I wanted to have the slices in the MFS as if they'd come over the satellite normally, so I went through your entire procedure in post 21. It worked perfectly and checking SwSystem in MFS they were there. But the next day, they did not appear in MFS. I tried again and went through the whole procedure and sure enough, the 6.4a was there in the MFS in SwSystem as expected. But a day later it was completely gone as if nothing had been done.

So, using your procedure, the MFS entries for SwSystem do not persist from day to day. You can keep dbloading them daily, but they won't stay there.

Eventually I went through it all and ran slicer immediately and my machine updated properly to 6.4a. So, you have to do your procedure and update fairly soon or you have to start all over.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #59
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Lou, I wanted to have the slices in the MFS as if they'd come over the satellite normally, so I went through your entire procedure in post 21. It worked perfectly and checking SwSystem in MFS they were there. But the next day, they did not appear in MFS. I tried again and went through the whole procedure and sure enough, the 6.4a was there in the MFS in SwSystem as expected. But a day later it was completely gone as if nothing had been done.

So, using your procedure, the MFS entries for SwSystem do not persist from day to day. You can keep dbloading them daily, but they won't stay there.

Eventually I went through it all and ran slicer immediately and my machine updated properly to 6.4a. So, you have to do your procedure and update fairly soon or you have to start all over.
Yes, I understand that, and unless I'm mistaken, that was what you meant in your previous post - ie after dbloading the slices into MFS, they will 'vanish' after a day or two.

That is why I suggested that you simply copy the slices off to a safe place rather than dbloading them.

One way to do this would be to edit the getslice script I have you downloading with wget and just commenting out the dbload statements. Then you can just go into /var/packages and copy them somewhere safe (ie, somewhere other than /var)

Lou
Old 10-15-2008, 08:15 PM   #60
sk33t3r

Quote:
Yes, I understand that, and unless I'm mistaken, that was what you meant in your previous post - ie after dbloading the slices into MFS, they will 'vanish' after a day or two.

That is why I suggested that you simply copy the slices off to a safe place rather than dbloading them.

One way to do this would be to edit the getslice script I have you downloading with wget and just commenting out the dbload statements. Then you can just go into /var/packages and copy them somewhere safe (ie, somewhere other than /var)

Lou
Or just wget /hacks FILENAME the files to the /hack directory or any other directory

and PS, I have a lot of DTV S1 files that I had saved there
HR21-200
HR20-100
DRD420re