TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #91
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
No. In fact I was trying to find a solution that would explicitly *not* require reencoding. These are VOBs ripped from DVDs, renamed to .mpg.

And the quality of the video (when not tearing, or macroblocking) is absolutely DVD quality.

-Kevin
I found it helpful to run ripped VOBs through VideoRedo Quickstream Fix first before attempting to stream or transfer to Tivos. Otherwise in some cases the stream or transfer would have some issues such as you describe and in some cases the transfer would halt altogether. The Tivo decoder seems to be picky about getting "clean" mpegs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #92
KevinG

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I found it helpful to run ripped VOBs through VideoRedo Quickstream Fix first before attempting to stream or transfer to Tivos. Otherwise in some cases the stream or transfer would have some issues such as you describe and in some cases the transfer would halt altogether. The Tivo decoder seems to be picky about getting "clean" mpegs.
Yes, that fixed it entirely. Thanks!

Now I'm bumping up against the fact that streamed movies don't remember where you were if you stop in the middle and plan to come back later... May end up sticking with pyTivo just for this reason alone.

-Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #93
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
Yes, that fixed it entirely. Thanks!

Now I'm bumping up against the fact that streamed movies don't remember where you were if you stop in the middle and plan to come back later... May end up sticking with pyTivo just for this reason alone.

-Kevin
tivostream supports resume playback from where you left off for .mpg... too bad you can't seem to get it working.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #94
mitchk

Here are two streams for coverage of the Los Angeles area fires. Just add these lines to your config.ini file.

[ABC-7 Los Angeles]
url=mms://a352.l5671334351.c56713.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/352/56713/v0001/reflector:34351
needs_vlc=True

[NBC-4 Los Angeles]
url=http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/live/reflector:30763.asx
needs_vlc=True
mitchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #95
dwgsp

Can't stream from the web

I installed the latest version of HME/VLC and can successfully stream mp4 files from my hard drive (WinXP). However, I cannot stream anything from the web. In fact, I can't even get them to show up in the HME/VLC top level screen on my Tivo HD. I suspect that there is a problem in my config.ini, but I have tried everything that I can think of and still no luck.

Any ideas? Here's my config.ini. It references a working URL for NASA TV.

[DEFAULT]
cnnbase=http://www.cnn.com/video/live/cnnlive_
cspanbase=http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=cspan/cspan/wmlive/cspan

[hmeserver]
port=9043
#datapath=C:\
apps=hmevlc

[hmevlc]
vlcport=9044
vbitrate=2000
# not sure what the syntax is for the following line
vlc=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC
#vlc=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

# this works fine
[Test]
dir=C:\Video\TED

# this does not even show up on the top level Tivo screen.
[NASA TV]
url=http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1369080
needs_vlc=True

Thanks!
/Don
dwgsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #96
texaslabrat

Awesome app...I've got it running on my Ubuntu 8.04 server against a Tivo HD..and it works wonderfully.

I do have one issue..and my apologies if it's been addressed previously..but I've found that one has to be very careful how one exits the HME "environment". If I exit "cleanly" by hitting left arrow multiple times (waiting for each successive menu to be rendered), then everything's great...works as expected.

However, if I exit by just hitting the Tivo button (and from there doing whatever...standby, live tv, or anything else)...then the app doesn't seem to exit gracefully. In many cases, the VLC process will still be running on the ubuntu box, happily transcoding away (though a netstat -a reveals that there is no remote socket attached to the VLC process, so the Tivo has dropped the connection from its perspective). If I immediately go back to the HME app and select another stream (or even the same one, for that matter), it generally "does its thing" and changes gears successfully as I begin watching content. All seems well and good. However, if I hit the Tivo button/standby and go to bed..and try to access the HME app later on the next day...I get an error trying to open the stream (*any* stream or local file) as the VLC app has either frozen and/or crashed (probably due to some memory leak in the vlc application...been quite a problem over the years it appears from various threads dug up in a quick google search on the topic).

The HME "control" python process doesn't seem to recognize this fact...and never restarts VLC or attempts to clean up the defunct process. I've also tested with hitting the Tivo button, observing that VLC is still running..and then manually killing the VLC process. Going back into HME has the same problem...it won't start up another VLC process and again errors out when trying to open up a stream or file.

Killing the start.py and restarting it fixes the issue in all these cases, however I can't but wonder if there's a way to have the HME application sense that something's amiss and "punt" with regards to the VLC process. I took a look at the code, and I see that it's keeping some basic accounting that enumerates clients and kills the VLC when number of clients = 0..and then can subsequently start a fresh VLC process when needed. This is where I think the weakness lies...when one exits with the Tivo button, the HME process doesn't seem to be getting notified that it is disconnecting. Is there a better way to sense a "hang up"? Or perhaps a different approach is needed...one thing I thought of is instead of trying to count clients and killing the VLC process when clients=0, instead actively look at the number of sockets open (via a system call to netstat or some other way) and attached to the VLC process. When THAT number is zero, then kill the VLC process if it's still running. If no one is pulling data from VLC, then that's a sure-fire sign that the VLC process isn't needed and is going to cause problems if it hangs around.

Anyway, in the mean time I'll try to be careful how I exit the application, and I'll try to train the wife on the particulars on how to avoid the issue as well.

Thanks again for a wonderful application released for free to the public
texaslabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #97
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post
# not sure what the syntax is for the following line
vlc=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC
#vlc=C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
It's the full path, including the filename, so the second (commented-out) line would be correct. However, that path is already the default, so there's no reason to specify it at all... assuming that you actually have a copy of VLC there.

It's normal for the "needs_vlc=True" entries not to show up in the menus if the VLC executable isn't present.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #98
dwgsp

I ended up commenting out both of vlc lines, and when that didn;t work in reinstalled the 0.8.6 version of vlc. That worked. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #99
dwgsp

Flash Streams?

Has anyone gotten flash streams to work? It looks like the latest version of VLC supports streaming flash, but previous messages in this thread indicate that the newest VLC is not supported.

I want to get this working with live streams from the Big Ten Network (for college basketball games).

http://video.bigtennetwork.com/

Thanks!
/Don
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #100
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

VLC 0.8.6 will transcode FLV movies. Whether this is the same as "supporting streaming Flash" is not clear to me.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #101
dwgsp

Ok, let me try to give a better explanation. The Big Ten Network streams college basketball games, using flash. I would like to use HME/VLC to re-stream these to my Tivo HD. Currently I can not get this to work (I can re-stream other things, like NASA TV). Here's an example URL for a basketball game:

http://video.bigtennetwork.com/video...videos=archive

I tried entering this URL directly into VLC 0.8.6 and it didn't work. I looked at the release notes to the most current version of VLC, and it looks like they have added more support for flash in versions newer than 0.8.6.

I am wondering of anyone has gotten HME/VLC to work with the newest version of VLC. Alternatively, do anyone know how to get the current version to work with this URL?

Thanks!
/Don
Old 11-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #102
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgsp View Post
I tried entering this URL directly into VLC 0.8.6 and it didn't work.
Nor does it work in 0.9.4. Nor would I expect it to, since that's an HTML page.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #103
kurt711

Awesome app william. I like this better than pytivo to serve up my tech podcasts i download with podpuppy. I was wondering if you had any plans for supporting ffmpeg for encoding as well. I understand vlc/online content thing but would be awesome to stream xvid, wmv shows and movies reencoded in mpeg2. Finally I can have something like TVersity for tivo. Once again great job and no worries if it can't be done...I'll stick with your other work in pytivo. Thanks.
kurt711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #104
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You're welcome. But, you haven't really explained why you want ffmpeg. You can stream all formats through VLC (although you may miss the first couple of seconds). Also, as far as WMV, I suspect that you'll be able to pass it through without reencoding once you get TiVo software version 11 (and I update the extensions list). In the meantime, VLC will handle it.

I'm actually pretty unhappy with VLC right now, since they broke MPEG encoding in the 0.9.x series, and they don't seem to care. That does have me looking at alternatives. Still, VLC is something that ffmpeg couldn't easily replace. In addition to handling streaming on its own -- both as a client, and as a server -- it provides it in a nice, neat, end-user-oriented package, that's easy to install for users on all three major platforms (Linux/Mac/Win). Contrast this with ffmpeg, which is only available through SVN, or from third-party packagers. This is arguably the biggest hassle with pyTivo.

I'd probably support MEncoder (which can at least act as a streaming client) before ffmpeg.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #105
kurt711

Thanks for replying. The reason I was asking about ffmpeg is audio, especially ac3 5.1. I have several movies encoded in xvid or h.264 with ac3 5.1 audio. I use TVersity(uses ffmpeg) to stream to xbox and pytivo(also uses ffmpeg) and it works great on both. I'm trying to minimize the complexity on server(trying to keep one encoder) and wanting 5.1 audio. I tried video streamer and it only passes 2 channels of audio and didn't see any way to change that.

VLC is great but oh so complicated. I used to use VLC to capture streams from HDHomeRun but gave up on it after couple of weeks.

Mencoder will work. It will pass ac3 audio and it will work for me. once again thank you for all you efforts in promoting HME. Only wish Tivo would give up and enable upnp or dlna.
kurt711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #106
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt711 View Post
it only passes 2 channels of audio and didn't see any way to change that.
Ah. I don't have 5.1 equipment, so I can't check this. There's no number of channels set in HME/VLC, but it uses MPEG audio, which I'm thinking is limited to stereo. So, if you changed the ACODEC line in hmevlc/vlc.py from

ACODEC = 'mpga'

to

ACODEC = 'a52'

that might solve your problem. (Not tested.) You probably would want to up the audio bitrate from the default, too -- for that you'd have to edit PARAMS. (It will be a config.ini setting in the next version.)

Edit: a52 tests OK, though of course I still can't really check 5.1. I'll probably make this the default in the next version, although I'd kinda like to check CPU usage vs. MPEG audio first.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 11-29-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #107
moyekj

Confirmed today (see tivostream thread) that there seems to be a ~1.1GB upper limit for buffer size for video streaming. You will note after the 1.1GB mark or so the connection will drop (Connection reset by peer) and buffer will no longer build up. Very disappointing indeed.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #108
leenuxg33k

Quote:
Confirmed today (see tivostream thread) that there seems to be a ~1.1GB upper limit for buffer size for video streaming. You will note after the 1.1GB mark or so the connection will drop (Connection reset by peer) and buffer will no longer build up. Very disappointing indeed.
I'm glad this isn't just me. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

So how is this supposed to work? Can the HME app drop off some of the data at the beginning of the buffer when it hits the 1.1g limit?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #109
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenuxg33k View Post
I'm glad this isn't just me. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

So how is this supposed to work? Can the HME app drop off some of the data at the beginning of the buffer when it hits the 1.1g limit?
In current implementation these HME players are just throwing data over the pipe and letting Tivo handle storing/buffering it. There is no control of the buffer possible via HME as far as I know. Perhaps an ugly workaround is to limit the data streamed to the Tivo to below the 1.1GB limit and once playback reaches that limit to initiate a new transfer, but that's currently only possible with mpeg2 streams and means big pauses at 1GB intervals and loss of buffer buildup. Tivo needs to see the start of .mp4 files for information about the stream so you can't arbitrarily start somewhere else in an .mp4 stream. So I really don't see a viable solution right now for this major drawback.

It will be interesting to see how the Netflix streaming works as obviously the 1GB limitation cannot be there for that implementation. I'm guessing in light of this drawback either there is no buffer at all for Netflix streaming or there is some way to "ask for bigger buffer". I'm guessing there won't be any buffer at all just as if you play back from Roku box or a Blu Ray player.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #110
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 2.6

Looks a little more like TiVo, should fix people's audio complaints, and handles irregular exits better.

I had hoped to have some resolution of the VLC 0.9.x issues, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Then I was waiting for 11.0, but who knows when I'll get it; and based on moyekj's findings, I'm leaving WMV in the "needs VLC" category for now. (If you want to try passing it through, you can add it to PASSTHROUGH_EXTS and remove it from TRANSCODE_EXTS in hmevlc/__init__.py. I'll probably make these config.ini-configurable in the future, but not today.)

Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #111
MelSmith

More hacks - Bookmark / Resume !!!

Thanks again wmcbrine for another awesome application. There was just one frustrating thing for me: the Tivo would exit to live TV if the HME stream was paused for too long, which happens a lot to me; so I added a bookmark function that saves the current position whenever I pause the stream or return to the list of files. I have attached the two files I changed for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hmevlc.zip (4.6 KB, 18 views)
MelSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #112
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelSmith View Post
Thanks again wmcbrine for another awesome application. There was just one frustrating thing for me: the Tivo would exit to live TV if the HME stream was paused for too long, which happens a lot to me; so I added a bookmark function that saves the current position whenever I pause the stream or return to the list of files. I have attached the two files I changed for reference.
I didn't look at the changes too closely but it appears this implementation will only work if using VLC.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #113
MelSmith

Quote:
I didn't look at the changes too closely but it appears this implementation will only work if using VLC.
That is correct, since HME/VLC Video Streamer uses VLC.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #114
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelSmith View Post
That is correct, since HME/VLC Video Streamer uses VLC.
But you can also bypass VLC completely for mpeg2 and H.264 mpeg4 sources (in fact I believe that's default behavior).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #115
MelSmith

Quote:
But you can also bypass VLC completely for mpeg2 and H.264 mpeg4 sources (in fact I believe that's default behavior).
Not knowing the HME SDK or Python means this truly is just a hack. I will have to learn more, to make this more legitimate.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #116
grantsa4

Problems

I unzipped the zip file and ran Start.py and the console gets to Registering hmelvc and stops. Is there a problem?

Should it be getting further?
Is there anything I need to do.

Thanks for any help.
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #117
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, that's what it's supposed to say. You wouldn't see any other output until you entered the app from the TiVo.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #118
grantsa4

Thanks - when I tried to go into the Server on the Tivo it went to "Please wait" and nothing happened?
It eventually times out and brings up a message :

"An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error: 0x50005).

Should it take a while?
I have no changed the config.ini at all - I just unzipped the program and tried start.py

I have Python 2.5 installed as well as VLC 0.8.6e

Last edited by grantsa4 : 12-03-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #119
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Did you try again? Once could be a fluke. If you get it repeatedly, then it sounds like a network problem.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #120
grantsa4

Yip, still same problem. Any advice on what to check network wise?