TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #31
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 2.2

Relatively minor changes -- normally I wouldn't have released this as a new version yet, but I don't expect to have much time to work on HME/VLC for a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #32
Danimal4326

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The app runs at 640x480. However, this only applies to the menus and overlays -- HD streams will play in HD.

I think the menus and overlays look pretty good as is (apart from some cropping in the info bar, which is fixed for the next release), and HD HME is just slightly harder to work with (you can't set a background color on a view larger than a certain size), so I haven't bothered in this case.
Ok just checking. I know that the youTube app and tivos HD picture viewer both change the resolution.

As long as the videos are still in HD.

Can one check this if you configure the Tivo to output native instead of hybrid resolutions?? i.e. when you start the app, it runs at lower res, then when you view a hd stream, you can see the resolution change as well???
Danimal4326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #33
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, the YouTube app has a lot of info to put up. Re: Picture viewers, I also did an HD one (included in the HME for Python package), but it's just a simple slideshow. I mean to do something more one of these days.

Testing... Yes, the resolution does change for 480 and 1080 videos in Native mode. The default mode (used for menus and nonstandard sizes) is actually 720p. (That is, the TiVo is outputting 720p, even though the menus are rendered at 640x480.) Hmm, and the menus stay in the mode of the last-played video until I select another video or exit. (The default of 720p is just left over from the TiVo's own menus, apparently.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #34
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 2.3

I only post this one because I'm compulsive.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #35
PaulS

I just set this up last night. Got it running on WinXP SP2, but ran into a few gotchas.

1. Recordings drive letter != HME/VLC installation drive letter.
Of course this is fixed by adding "--datapath X:\" to the command line, but it would have been nice for this to be included in the installation docs, rather than having to go scouring to find the answer.

2. Path names with spaces in them are not really handled well. Adding double-quotes around the paths didn't seem to correct the problem, and resulted in a different kind of path name parsing error instead. I remedied the situation by renaming the directories and filenames to remove the spaces.

3. Begin playback of one video. After a short while, left click out of the recording and get back to the file browser. Choose a different video and select it for streaming. Playback commences, but of the FIRST video, and right at the point from which you exited it in the first place. Once you're in this state, it doesn't matter how many times you exit and select a different video, you'll always be returned to the original video when you try to play anything back. I had to kill the ffmpeg window in order to play out anything else. Is there a feedback mechanism between HME and ffmpeg (or VLC) to halt it from streaming when the user interrupts playback ?

Other than that, this is really cool. It will handle most playback cases, except for high resolution (>720p) sources, which my current machine can not stream in real time. pyTivo will have to suffice for those videos.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #36
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

On 3, are you saying that happens every time, or just sometimes? (Of course it should happen never.) Are you using Python 2.4? (See post #14 above.)

I haven't seen the space problem; I'll look into it.

Edit: I can't reproduce any problem with spaces under Linux. It could be some time before I can test it in Windows. Could you be more specific about what you're seeing? I tried spaces in the "dir" path, spaces in intermediate directories, spaces in the file name, and for good measure, spaces in the share name.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-14-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #37
PaulS

Quote:
On 3, are you saying that happens every time, or just sometimes? (Of course it should happen never.) Are you using Python 2.4? (See post #14 above.)

I haven't seen the space problem; I'll look into it.
I would have to say sometimes, because I can't say it happened always. I iterated through quite a few test runs last night, and I can't definitely say it happened all the time. I'll re-test and report.

Python 2.5.2
Old 09-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #38
goodtrips

Installed and ran this today on a successful live p2p tv test. This has got amazing potential!

I haven't been able to have any luck, however, with streaming any local MP4 or M4V video files. I tried taking out spaces in the naming convention, but am getting -404 and message Not Found errors accompanied with "error reading stream" on the TiVo itself.

My feeling is that this could be a much more elegant and powerful solution to pyTivo. Very encouraged, and keep up the good work!
goodtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #39
Allanon

FYI, a new version of VLC has been released and the default command line your program uses to open the stream doesn't work with this new version.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #40
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OK, I finally got a chance to test under Windows, and I couldn't reproduce any problem with spaces at all. PaulS, you may want to reexamine your issue. (I can't duplicate your other problem, either.)

Allanon, can you tell me exactly what does happen with the new version of VLC?

goodtrips, if you're in Windows, try starting it with the datapath option, e.g., "python start.py --datapath c:\".

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #41
PaulS

Quote:
OK, I finally got a chance to test under Windows, and I couldn't reproduce any problem with spaces at all. PaulS, you may want to reexamine your issue. (I can't duplicate your other problem, either.)
Sorry, not going to be able to get to it tonight. Had to do some work at home, and then my wife took over the TiVo to watch "her shows".

I'll take another crack at it as soon as I can.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #42
Allanon

This is the output from VLC version 0.92 when trying to stream NASA TV:
Quote:
[00000392] dummy interface: VLC media player - version 0.9.2 Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000392] dummy interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a command-line window, go to the directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I qt"

[00000392] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[00000408] main access out: creating httpd
[00000412] mux_ps mux: Open
[00000412] mux_ps mux: Close
[00000448] main access out: creating httpd
[00000451] mux_ps mux: Open
[00000453] access_mms access: selecting stream[0x1] audio (34 kb/s)
[00000453] access_mms access: selecting stream[0x2] video (275 kb/s)
[00000453] access_mms access: connection successful
[mpeg1video @ 00B7C6F0]Warning vbv_delay will be set to 0xFFFF (=VBR) as the specified vbv buffer is too large for the given bitrate!
[mpeg1video @ 00B7C6F0]low delay forcing is only available for mpeg2
[00000495] avcodec encoder error: cannot open encoder
[00000445] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot find video encoder (module:any fourcc:mp1v)
[00000445] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create video chain
[00000493] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output (WMV3)
The previous version of VLC worked fine before updating.

Edit: This problem might be due to the new version of VLC not recognizing a MPEG-1 video encoder on my computer. When I tried transcoding using VLC's GUI it reported the it couldn't open the MPEG-1 encoder.

Last edited by Allanon : 09-16-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
goodtrips

Quote:
goodtrips, if you're in Windows, try starting it with the datapath option, e.g., "python start.py --datapath c:\".
Yep, that did it -- thanks wmcbrine.

I know you're obviously working through some kinks, but just a side thought -- is it possible to to modify the output stream settings that are sent to the TiVo? I'm thinking the quality of the files would look significantly better if we let VLC handle the upscaling versus the TiVo/TV.

I believe for 720p we'd be looking at 1280x720 @ 60fps. Not sure what the bitrate would have to be to support that, but could be an interesting test.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #44
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtrips View Post
Yep, that did it -- thanks wmcbrine.

I know you're obviously working through some kinks, but just a side thought -- is it possible to to modify the output stream settings that are sent to the TiVo? I'm thinking the quality of the files would look significantly better if we let VLC handle the upscaling versus the TiVo/TV.

I believe for 720p we'd be looking at 1280x720 @ 60fps. Not sure what the bitrate would have to be to support that, but could be an interesting test.
That may be true, but the computational overhead involved with rescaling HD resolutions may be too onerous for many folks' computers. This may be a good candidate for a configurable option.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #45
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I played around with VLC 0.9.2 for a while, and couldn't make it work. It seems broken to me. I'm going to have to recommend that people stick with 0.8.x for now.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #46
PaulS

Another problem I've yet to resolve involves videos that fail to play out. I can successfully browse the file system, and select a video to stream. At that point, a command window is spawned on the server machine running VLC or ffmpeg, and the TiVo displays the filename with the ping-pong graphic. After a while, the VLC/ffmpeg command window simply disappears and the TiVo shows an error message.

Is there some way to help diagnose what's going on ?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #47
mulscully

How 'bout with HDHomerun

Can we use this to read streams from HDhomerun
mulscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #48
Allanon

I was able to watch my WinTV capture card by using VLC to stream the video from the WinTV over a HTTP port and then use wmcbrine's HME/VLC video streamer to watch the video. I'm thinking of writing a HME program that allows me to change channels and maybe put up a guide. This would be like having a third Tuner in my Tivo HD.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #49
digger69

thanks for all the fish

Quote:
I played around with VLC 0.9.2 for a while, and couldn't make it work. It seems broken to me. I'm going to have to recommend that people stick with 0.8.x for now.
Thanks for your work on this wmcbrine. I just got this downloaded w/ the latest vlc and it crapped as Allanon reported. Found here that I needed to downgrade to 8.6i. Did that and now I'm getting:

Code:
[00000298] dummy interface: VLC media player - version 0.8.6h Janus - (c) 1996-2
008 the VideoLAN team
[00000298] dummy interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a command-line window, go to
the directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I wx"

[00000298] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[00000315] main private: creating httpd
[00000319] mux_ps private: Open
[00000322] access_mms access: selecting stream[0x1] audio (63 kb/s)
[00000322] access_mms access: connection successful
Compiler did not align stack variables. Libavcodec has been miscompiled
and may be very slow or crash. This is not a bug in libavcodec,
but in the compiler. Do not report crashes to FFmpeg developers.
This is an MMS stream:
url=mms://wm-live.world.mii-streaming.net/live/klove/high_01 and is audio only. I bet that's the issue... Any workaround?

NASA, CNN, etc. play fine (aspect ration is way funky on my panny).

Thanks for all your work on this wmcbrine. I concur, you are a hoopy frood
digger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #50
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm thinking about how to do audio streams. Stay tuned. (The "Compiler did not align" message is standard, BTW. You'll see that on any stream, video or audio.)

CNN streams are 16:9, but a lot of their material is stretched from 4:3 sources, so the weirdness is built in. The other streams should look the same as other 4:3 material on your TiVo (controllable by the Aspect button, but not from within HME/VLC -- you have to change it from Live TV or Now Playing).

Old 09-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #51
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 2.4

Better handling of VLC in nonstandard locations or missing VLC; various minor menu tweaks to make it closer to TiVo's own.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #52
goodtrips

Some strange behavior I've been seeing -- I'm constantly getting socket.error 10054 - Connection rest by peer errors when I try streaming regular MP4 files. However, h.264 files (baseline 3 ipod format) seem to stream just fine.

For what it's worth, I use handbrake to encode all my media.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #53
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

h.264 is the only flavor of MPEG-4 that I've seen to work on the TiVo, although it's possible that others will work.

You can force the files to be reencoded while being streamed, by giving them a different extension.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-21-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #54
Allanon

If you want to stream SopCast to the Tivo just add the following to the config.ini:

Code:
[SopCast]
url=http://127.0.0.1:8902/stream
needs_vlc=True
Then you can run the SopCast software and once you have a stream playing just select the "SopCast" menu item on the Tivo and it will stream.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #55
digger69

Quote:
I'm thinking about how to do audio streams. Stay tuned. ...
Staying tuned
digger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #56
Allanon

The same simplification that wmcbrine did in this post which made streaming DVDs easy can also be applied to VLC compatible capture devices.

Adding the following code to the config.ini file made it easy to stream my WinTV capture device to the Tivo:
Code:
[Capture Device]
url=dshow://
needs_vlc=True

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #57
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Version 2.5

Reorganization; more options for config.ini; no longer need to set the datapath in Windows.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #58
dankruse

I have two .mp4 files: 1) I downloaded from YouTube. 2) Converted from an AVCHD file using Nero 8.

The YouTube video streams without any problem.
My video will not stream without that socket.error 10054 error.

Both play fine on my PC.

According to VLC, they are identical format with the exception of the stream order.

I've attached screen captures.

Any idea why it wouldn't work? Does the stream order matter?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg working.JPG (29.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg not_working.JPG (29.1 KB, 24 views)
dankruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:17 AM   #59
Loopey_The_Great

any plans to support VLC 9.x ?

I've spent 2 entire days now trying to install VLC 8.0, 8.5, 8.6 on my SUSE 11 box. I've encountered an unbearable number of package incompatibilities and bugs and I have now officially given this up as being impossible. I can however, get vlc 9.0 / 9.3 to install OK. Are their any plans to get this program to work with the current version of VLC?
Loopey_The_Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #60
Ely105

Does this require VLC to stream or is VLC just for transcoding. Would be great to get this working on a ReadyNAS so that you don't need a PC to stream directly from your NAS box...
Ely105 is offline   Reply With Quote