TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #451
lrhorer

Well, I can't speak for every version of sudo or login, but a non-interactive shell should not time out. You might try `su -c <command> <user>`, instead of sudo. I can't speak authoritatively for your system, but nohup really should not make a difference either way. Nohup disinherits a process from its ordinary parent and causes init to adopt it. Thus, you can see here:

Code:
RAID-Server:/usr/share/sensors# /etc/init.d/pyTivo restart
Restarting pyTivo Multimedia Server: pyTivo.
RAID-Server:/usr/share/sensors# ps -ef | grep pyT
root     29042     1  3 20:39 pts/4    00:00:00 /usr/bin/python2.6 /usr/share/pyTivo/pyTivo.py
RAID-Server:/usr/share/sensors# echo $$
The pyTivo process is owned by PID 1, not the current shell (PID 3960 in this case). It should also cause the process to ignore a HUP (-1) signal. I believe it will still respond to all other signals in whatever fashion it has been designed to do. The Term signal (-15) should work normally, and the Kill signal (-9) cannot be blocked, so it should definitely work normally. (This is why the nohup command should not prevent sudo or login from killing an inactive shell.)

Edit:

Come to think if it, since this is going to be run from an init script, the daemon startup utility in your system should have an option to run as another user. In Debian derivatives, the start-stop-daemon utility simply uses the -c <user> option to accomplish this. The equivalent utility may be startproc -u <user> or something similar on your system. You still should use nohup, re-directing the output (both stdout and stderr) to either /dev/null or a log file, and terminate the line with "&" in order to spawn the utility in the background.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #452
lrhorer

Oh, BTW, kill -9 is generally a rather nasty thing to do, and should be reserved for times when a process is well and truly hung. A much better practice for stopping well behaved processes in general is to use the TERM signal (-15), rather than the KILL signal (-9). It produces an orderly shutdown of the process and its children.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #453
jwagner010

Thanks lrhorer, I could not get sudo to work from a rc.d script, it would work from the command line but not the script, so after pulling out my remaining hair I tried su and that got HMEVLC up and running using a rc.d script but vlc is now erroring out when starting a stream that requires vlc when I start HMEvlc through the script with su (ps if I start hmevlc at the command line using su things work fine with streams requiring vlc ??). I will look at my stdout and stderr file over the weekend to see if it provides any hints for what is going on. Appreciate the tip on kill -15.
jwagner010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #454
lrhorer

Is there a startproc or start-stop-daemon binary on the system? If not, check out some of the other init scripts that start daemons and see how they daemonize the utilities.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #455
jwagner010

Okay did some testing this morning before coming into work. My STDOUT and STDERR log is below. I start HMEVLC using the script with su as discussed above. The first time I try and stream a video requiring vlc to transcode I get the output below (see Try 1) in my STDOUT/STDERR log. From a HMEVLC perspective on the Tivo it just hangs. I then get out of HMEVLC on the Tivo, go back into HMEVLC and try and stream the same video and it comes back and says error trying to read the stream (as opposed to hanging) and get the following output below (see Try 2) in my STDOUT/STDERR log.

Also please note I use dbus-launch in vlc.py as this is running on a NAS. Finally if I start HMEVLC from the command line versus my init script using su things work fine. Not sure if any one has any further ideas?

Code:
Try 1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

192.168.0.4:53966 - - [21/Dec/2012 06:16:30] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.0.4:53966 - - [21/Dec/2012 06:16:30] Starting HME: hmevlc
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 560, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 322, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py", line 141, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/SocketServer.py", line 617, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 329, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 323, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py", line 232, in do_GET
    self._page(True)
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py", line 186, in _page
    appinst.mainloop()
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hme.py", line 1139, in mainloop
    while self.active and self.get_event():
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hme.py", line 1236, in get_event
    handle(resource, status, info)
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hmevlc/hmevid.py", line 220, in handle_resource_info
    self.retry_or_quit()
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hmevlc/hmevid.py", line 206, in retry_or_quit
    self.start_vlc()
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hmevlc/hmevid.py", line 80, in start_vlc
    vlc.start(self.item['url'])
  File "/usr/local/hmeforpython/hmevlc/vlc.py", line 77, in start
    pid = subprocess.Popen(['dbus-launch', vlcpath, url, '-I', 'dummy', '-V', 'dummy', '--sout', PARAMS % globals()]).pid
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 623, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/opt/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Try 2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

192.168.0.4:38917 - - [21/Dec/2012 06:28:52] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.0.4:38917 - - [21/Dec/2012 06:28:52] Starting HME: hmevlc
192.168.0.4:38917 - - [21/Dec/2012 06:29:27] Ending HME: hmevlc
PS. Is it normal that the port changed between try 1 and try 2?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #456
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
File "/opt/lib/python2.6/subprocess.py", line 1141, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Well, that seems pretty clear-cut. It's not finding your VLC. Again.

Quote:
PS. Is it normal that the port changed between try 1 and try 2?
Yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #457
jwagner010

Ok appears my problem was not using full path for dbus, ie /opt/bin/dbus-launch in the python code.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #458
jwagner010

I finally got things (mostly) working and now use HMEVLC to view a couple of Foscam Cameras I have in the house as a baby monitor. I thought I would document my installation mods to make this work on a Synology NAS in case others have a similar issue (as well to document it in case I have to repeat the install one day!!):

1. Install VLC on the Synology NAS: The easiest way to do this is to bootstrap ipkg onto the Synology machine and then install vlc (see Synology wiki and forums for help with this).

2. Install python using ipkg or one of the Synology packages.

3. Install the HMEVLC python modules per the instructions at: https://github.com/wmcbrine/hmevlc

4. Add a line to config.ini under [hmevlc] telling HMEVLC to use cvlc versus vlc as this is a headless NAS: vlc=/opt/bin/cvlc

5. Set up scripts to automatically start HMEVLC:
Add the following script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for HME for Python

HMEFORPYTHON=/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py

case "$1" in

start)
	if [ -x "$HMEFORPYTHON" ] ; then
		sleep 30
		echo "Starting HME for Python..."
		su admin -c sh -c '/usr/bin/nohup /usr/local/hmeforpython/hmeforpython_start.sh > /usr/local/hmeforpython/scrpt_log 2>&1 &'
	fi
	;;

stop)
	echo "Stopping HME for Python......."
	kill -9 `ps |grep hmeforpython/start.py | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` > /dev/null 2>&1
	;;

*)
	echo "usage: $0 { start | stop }" >&2
	exit 1
	;;

esac
The script above uses su to run under user admin as vlc will not work under root. Then add the following script at /usr/local/hmeforpython which is where I keep my hmevlc python files and scripts:
Code:
cd /usr/local/hmeforpython
/opt/bin/python /usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py > /usr/local/hmeforpython/hmevlc_log 2>&1 &
6. Change vlc.py [both start () and stop()] so that it launches vlc using dbus and it terminates the vlc pid versus the dbus pid:
Code:
def start(url):
    """ Increment the client count, and start VLC if this is the first
        client.

"""
    global client_count, pid
    client_count += 1
    if client_count == 1:
	pid = subprocess.Popen(['/opt/bin/dbus-launch', vlcpath, url, '-I', 'dummy', '-V', 'dummy', '--sout', PARAMS % globals(), 
':sout-mux-caching=150000', '--sout-keep']).pid
        # Give VLC a little time to start up before the request.
	time.sleep(2)

def stop():
    """ Decrement the client count, and stop VLC if this was the last
        client.

"""
    global client_count, pid
    if client_count:
        client_count -= 1
        if not client_count:
            if sys.platform == 'win32':
                import ctypes
                handle = ctypes.windll.kernel32.OpenProcess(1, False, pid)
                ctypes.windll.kernel32.TerminateProcess(handle, -1)
                ctypes.windll.kernel32.CloseHandle(handle)
            else:
                import os
                import signal
                os.kill(pid, signal.SIGINT)
                vlcpidps = subprocess.Popen(['ps', '-w'], stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
		out, err = vlcpidps.communicate()
		for line in out.splitlines():
  			if 'vlc' in line:
				vlcpid = int(line.split(None, 1)[0])
				os.kill(vlcpid, signal.SIGKILL)
I am sure my stop () vlc code is probably heavy handed but it works and I am not a python programmer so best I can do, as I said it works. I also mentioned at the start of the post that it mostly works. My remaining issue is that the stream will freeze after a few minutes, I suspect this is a vlc issue as my log shows vlc working and providing a stream and my NAS only maxes out at 16% CPU use but it is frozen when watching on the Tivo, see log below:
Code:
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000361] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[00000377] main access out: creating httpd
[00000381] mux_ps mux: Open
I am running vlc 0.9.9a-2 which I know is an old version but that is what is installed when using the Synology ipkg Package Management system unfortunately. If someone can confirm this is definitely a vlc issue I might spend the time trying to compile a later version of vlc but right now I only need to watch the cameras for a minute at a time so will only try and compile a new version of vlc if I am sure it will fix the remaining issue.

Thanks for the help and support on getting this far.

Last edited by jwagner010 : 12-24-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #459
jwagner010

Looking for some guidance on editing the HMEVLC python code to enable me to use HMEVLC to stream output from a number of new IP video cameras I now have attached to my home network to my Tivo using HMEVLC. I have the URL to add to the config.ini file along the lines of: http://ipaddress: port/url-stream/cameraName that provides me access to the camera stream and I have added it to the HMEVLC config file.

My problem is my cameras require a separate http url / get command to authenticate myself to the camera before the previous URL will work, along the lines of: http://ipaddress:port/url-authitcati...D&pwd=PASSWORD .

How can I edit the Python code to do the authentication call before it calls for the stream. Ultimately I would like to add a line to the config.ini file along the lines of 'authneeded=http://ipaddress:port/url-authitcati...D&pwd=PASSWORD' for each stream needing authentication and then change the Python code to issue the authentication get/http command if required per the config.ini file.

Any thoughts on where to start? I am a complete Python novice so go easy on me.

Last edited by jwagner010 : 02-10-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #460
grantsa4

Does anyone have a list of the rss feeds they use?
grantsa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #461
wr0ngway

Anyone know if this will stream to a tivo mini? I already have pytivo+vidmgr setup to push video to a Roamio, from which I can view it on the mini, but it would be nice to skip that step.
wr0ngway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #462
moyekj

No. HME "streaming" in general doesn't work for a Mini since it's actually copying instead of streaming and the Mini doesn't have video buffer for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #463
wr0ngway

Ok, thanks, I take it no one has reverse engineered the Tivo mini streaming protocol yet? It really surprises me that tivo just doesn't open up those protocols to give people more reasons to use and keep using Tivos as the gateway to the TV
wr0ngway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #464
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr0ngway View Post
Ok, thanks, I take it no one has reverse engineered the Tivo mini streaming protocol yet? It really surprises me that tivo just doesn't open up those protocols to give people more reasons to use and keep using Tivos as the gateway to the TV
If they did that, they would lose their CableLabs certaification, which would effectively put them out of business. If that stream is not secure, then there is nothing preventing a developer from decrypting it and saving it to disk. DRM rules the world.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #465
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It would be possible for TiVo to provide the specs without giving up the DRM, such that an unencrypted server could be implemented, for example. But I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #466
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Trying to set this up to feed an IP camera stream. The camera works from vlc using "rtsp://<ip address>/0". I tried setting that in the config.ini but I get a traceback on the console where I started the app, and the TiVo tells me "The requested application is currently unavailable. (V301)"

Traceback:
Code:
[root@host vid-stream]# ./start.py 
HME Server for Python 0.18
Fri Mar 28 14:44:42 2014 Server Starts
Registering: hmevlc
192.168.1.203 - - [28/Mar/2014 14:44:47] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.203 - - [28/Mar/2014 14:44:47] Starting HME: hmevlc
----------------------------------------
Exception happened during processing of request from ('192.168.1.203', 34934)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 593, in process_request_thread
    self.finish_request(request, client_address)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 334, in finish_request
    self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
  File "./start.py", line 139, in __init__
    client_address, server)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/SocketServer.py", line 649, in __init__
    self.handle()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 340, in handle
    self.handle_one_request()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/BaseHTTPServer.py", line 328, in handle_one_request
    method()
  File "./start.py", line 230, in do_GET
    self._page(True)
  File "./start.py", line 184, in _page
    appinst.mainloop()
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/hme.py", line 1120, in mainloop
    while self.active and self.get_event():
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/hme.py", line 1173, in get_event
    handle(keynum, rawcode)
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/apples/listview.py", line 205, in handle_key_press
    self.app.set_focus(self.app)
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/hme.py", line 1292, in set_focus
    getattr(focus, 'handle_focus')(True)
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/hmevlc/__init__.py", line 313, in handle_focus
    s['func'](s)
  File "/export/data/vid-stream/hmevlc/__init__.py", line 266, in new_menu_rss
    feed = urllib.urlopen(rss_item['rss'])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib.py", line 87, in urlopen
    return opener.open(url)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib.py", line 208, in open
    return getattr(self, name)(url)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/urllib.py", line 352, in open_http
    'got a bad status line', None)
IOError: ('http protocol error', 0, 'got a bad status line', None)
----------------------------------------
Is there a way to get the rtsp stream to show up on the TiVo? My TiVo is an HD, TSN758.

I tried running the HME/VLC app as root on a Fedora 20 system. I tried running as a normal user but it wouldn't start up, I do know vlc does not like to run as root in Fedora 20 so maybe there's an issue there.

I cleaned out all the feeds in config.ini for testing and added just one that I thought might work for my camera:
Code:
[Front Cam]
rss=http://192.168.1.231:554/0
needs_vlc=True
I did try using "rss=rtsp://192.168.1.231/0" in the config.ini, got a similar traceback, the last bit said "Unknow url type: 'rtsp'".
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #467
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
Trying to set this up to feed an IP camera stream. The camera works from vlc using "rtsp://<ip address>/0".
Code:
[Front Cam]
rss=http://192.168.1.231:554/0
needs_vlc=True
You're not setting up an RSS feed, so use "url" instead of "rss".

Code:
[Front Cam]
url=rstp://192.168.1.231/0
needs_vlc=True

Old 03-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #468
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Awesome, I didn't pay attention the examples you put in the config file. I do get one error/warning that looks like it might need some tweaking:

Code:
Registering: hmevlc
192.168.1.200 - - [28/Mar/2014 15:11:50] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.1.200 - - [28/Mar/2014 15:11:50] Starting HME: hmevlc
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
[0x7de248] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[0x7fcdf04c8ab8] mux_ps mux: Open
MultiFramedRTPSource::doGetNextFrame1(): The total received frame size exceeds the client's buffer size (100000).  95943 bytes of trailing data will be dropped!
[h264 @ 0x7fcdec011b80] Invalid level prefix
[h264 @ 0x7fcdec011b80] error while decoding MB 75 35
[h264 @ 0x7fcdec011b80] concealing 3934 DC, 3934 AC, 3934 MV errors in I frame
192.168.1.200 - - [28/Mar/2014 15:13:19] Ending HME: hmevlc
[0x7fcdf04c8ab8] mux_ps mux: Close
The buffer size bit, is that on the TiVo side or the Linux side of things? My camera runs 1920x1080 at 10 fps. It's a Grandstream GXV-3672-FHD.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #469
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
The buffer size bit, is that on the TiVo side or the Linux side of things?
It's an error message from VLC, which is talking directly to your camera. Apparently there's something VLC doesn't like about the camera's stream. I doubt that either of us can fix that.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #470
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It's an error message from VLC, which is talking directly to your camera. Apparently there's something VLC doesn't like about the camera's stream. I doubt that either of us can fix that.
Ok, is there some documentation for all the options in config.ini? I didn't see any so far.

I did change the name that appears on the TiVo menu, could that be set from the config.ini?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #471
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I did change the name that appears on the TiVo menu, could that be set from the config.ini?
No.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #472
dantruong

Follow me, I have spent 2 entire days now trying to install VLC 8.0, 8.5, 8.6 on my SUSE 11 box. I've encountered an unbearable number of package incompatibilities and bugs and I have now officially given this up as being impossible. I can however, get vlc 9.0 / 9.3 to install OK. Are their any plans to get this program to work with the current version of VLC?
dantruong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #473
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's been a while since I messed with it, but AFAIK it should work now. (?) Those incompatibilities (due to regressions in VLC) were a long time ago. But anyway, the incompatible versions of VLC will forever remain incompatible, because they broke the fundamental capabilities required for HME/VLC to work.

I'll try to get around to providing an update sometime in the not too distant future, after testing. Meanwhile, try the latest source from git if the last release doesn't work.

My biggest reason for lack of motivation on this project is that streams everywhere have been shut down in favor of inaccessible Flash-based players.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-20-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #474
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Just noticed that when I stream one of my surveillance cams the image on the TiVo is cropped a bit. The camera puts out a 1920x1088 image, and I'm missing a bit around the whole thing. Is there anything I can do about that?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #475
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Turn off the overscan on your TV?

Old 09-14-2014, 12:31 AM   #476
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
My biggest reason for lack of motivation on this project is that streams everywhere have been shut down in favor of inaccessible Flash-based players.
Ok, here's some motivation, maybe.

I don't know that much about HME/VLC, but I think it's the right target for my idea.

Here's my thought:
Enter Webz is limited to video streaming that the built-in Video Player can handle. I believe HME/VLC can handle most any video stream (apparently including the rtsp stuff that EWz doesn't even try to handle in any way).

If I provide users who have installed HME/VLC the ability to identify where it is installed on their local network, I should be able to launch HME/VLC from EWz by using that local URL (since the TiVo, on the same network, does the actual launching).

If HME/VLC is updated to accept the same arguments as the Video Player, and immediately starts playing that transcoding video stream, suddenly EWz supports all video it can come across thanks to a more capable video playing app.

I hope to provide a simple proxy program to similarly handle https media URLs and for automatic conversion and possibly resizing of image content. Instead of my public server doing the heavy lifting and data transfer, the user's home computer does that part once EWz is configured to point media URLs at it.

... or do you think it would be better to try to get Streambaby as the video player somehow and leave HME/VLC alone (I don't think it's set up to handle URL content yet, though).

David.Blackledge.com Solitaire/FreeCell, Calendar, Map...
hmedev.wikidot.com
davidblackledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:02 AM   #477
Allanon

I would suggest adding Livestreamer to HME/VLC. This program makes it so you don't have to worry about finding the video URL from the web page. It can accept normal web page URLs from YouTube, Twitch.tv, Dailymotion, Livestream, plus many more sites then pipes the video to VLC. It can be configured to have VLC stream the transcoded video to a port on the local network just like HME/VLC does. It's a command-line tool so it's easy to execute and control from your program. I use this command-line to watch videos using HME/VLC:

Code:
livestreamer.exe URL best -p "'C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe' --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=2048,acodec=a52,ab=384,audio-sync,samplerate=48000,fps=30}:std{access=http,dst=:9044,mux=ps}"
Plus there is a pass-through option that will pass the video URL to VLC and let it handle it. So you can play any video VLC accepts.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote