TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #421
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv View Post

Great! Any idea on how to get it to work?
adamt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #422
djl25
C64 hacker

What a great program! It's working fine for me on Windows Vista Premium, but I'm having trouble with this stream:
http://mtvnmobile2.rd.llnwd.net/4462...8x432_1720.mp4
This is video from The Daily Show, optimized for iPad. The stream plays fine with vlc 1.1.11 (it crashes vlc 0.8.4, but that version just doesn't work well with Vista, period.) When loading the same stream in hme-vlc I get:
Code:
[01d881cc] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[01d61564] main access out: creating httpd
[01d64004] mux_ps mux: Open
[01d8712c] main stream out error: Failed to create audio filter
[01d8712c] stream_out_transcode stream out error: Failed to find conversion filt
er for resampling
[01d8712c] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create audio chain
[043925e4] main decoder error: cannot create packetizer output (mp4a)
Again, this works fine if I just paste the url into VLC. Any suggestions on getting it to play on the Tivo?
djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #423
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

That stream file is directly compatible with a TiVo (at least the Premiere). No need to involve VLC, and you shouldn't. Just don't put "needs_vlc=True" in the config.ini entry for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #424
djl25
C64 hacker

Thanks so much for the quick reply. In fact, I don't have needs_vlc=True in that entry, but it seems to invoke vlc automatically. This is on a Tivo HD.
I noticed that you differentiated between the stream and the file; is this the problem? As I mentioned, vlc will play the stream without problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
That stream file is directly compatible with a TiVo (at least the Premiere). No need to involve VLC, and you shouldn't. Just don't put "needs_vlc=True" in the config.ini entry for it.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #425
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl25 View Post
In fact, I don't have needs_vlc=True in that entry, but it seems to invoke vlc automatically. This is on a Tivo HD.
VLC is invoked when the direct stream is rejected by the TiVo. It may be that this file is incompatible with an HD, even though it works with a Premiere.

Quote:
I noticed that you differentiated between the stream and the file; is this the problem?
No. I was just observing that it is in fact a file, and not really a "live stream". That doesn't make any difference to HME/VLC, but it does mean that you could download the file and use other means to transfer it to the TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #426
djl25
C64 hacker

I was just looking for a way to automate the Daily Show clips, and even went so far as to write a scraper that created an RSS feed from the mobile web site. hme-vlc would have been a great way to finish it off since it picks up the feed perfectly. Unfortunately, it can't play the file...

Quote:
VLC is invoked when the direct stream is rejected by the TiVo. It may be that this file is incompatible with an HD, even though it works with a Premiere.

No. I was just observing that it is in fact a file, and not really a "live stream". That doesn't make any difference to HME/VLC, but it does mean that you could download the file and use other means to transfer it to the TiVo.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #427
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I can reproduce this if I force needs_vlc=True. (I don't have an HD. I tried it with an S3, which still didn't invoke VLC, but the sound was messed up.) It seems to be just more VLC brokenness, not much I can do, sorry.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #428
Allanon

I've been experimenting with Mencoder, it takes video streams and files as input and converts them to mpeg files. I set it up so when Mencoder outputs to a temp file that temp file is also streamed to the Tivo. I've had success but still need to work on Mencoder's settings. There are other programs that do the same type of conversions and I was thinking of changing the needs_vlc parameter to one that allows the user to specify which transcoder should be used. So if one stream doesn't work with VLC then the user can try other methods such as Mencoder.

Last edited by Allanon : 08-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #429
djl25
C64 hacker

That's a great idea. I was thinking of something similar, perhaps overriding the hme-vlc transcoding defaults for stubborn streams in config.ini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
I've been experimenting with Mencoder, it takes video streams and files as input and converts them to mpeg files. I set it up so when Mencoder outputs to a temp file that temp file is also streamed to the Tivo. I've had success but still need to work on Mencoder's settings. There are other programs that do the same type of conversions and I was thinking of changing the needs_vlc parameter to one that allows the user to specify which transcoder should be used. So if one stream doesn't work with VLC then the user can try other methods such as Mencoder.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #430
richkeith

No Start.py File

I've installed python and downloaded the zip file from github, but there is no start.py file included in the zip file. And when I launch any of the other files it only opens up the source code files in python. Where is the start.py file and how to I have python execute it rather than open the source code.
richkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #431
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkeith View Post
I've installed python and downloaded the zip file from github, but there is no start.py file included in the zip file.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...17#post8446417

The screen looks a little different now, but the advice still applies.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #432
richkeith

That worked but now when i click on start.py it just opens the file in the python editor. How do I get python to actually run the file? Sorry I'm brand new to python.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #433
richkeith

Nevermind. figured it out. MAC was opening it with IDLE and not Python Launcher
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #434
Sam Ray

Quote:
No, it's not dead, and there are no broken links or missing files. You're just downloading the wrong file.

{images clipped}

And you know, this was already covered just a few posts further back in the thread.
I went to github.com from the first post of this thread. There are very many files in the download page with very little indication of what to download. It is very frustrating when download pages make us guess. Sourceforge does that a lot. I did the best I could to decide which one to download. I cannot be specific at the moment about what I downloaded since github.com is not working for me at the moment.

The thing is that the readme.txt file was in the files downloaded. It says to "Run start.py". It only lists Tivo, Pyton and VLC as requirements.

There are many unrelated posts in this thread. It would sure help to at least give an indication that we must read through all the messages, even all the irrelevant ones, to get the instructions. Or better yet, put the instructions at the beginning of the thread. Or better than that, put a better description in github of what file to use. If github does not provide that ability then that is unfortunate; as I say, it is frustratingly common for free software to be confusing like this. It would be understandable if it took time to do, but it does not.

Thank you in advance for the software. I assume it will work if I install it correctly. I only have an hour to do that before the coverage of the Curiosity landing begins. I can watch it using my PC but it will be nice if others in the family can watch it on the TV through the Tivo.
Sam Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #435
lrhorer

I certainly had no problems finding it, but here is the link:

https://github.com/wmcbrine/hmevlc/downloads
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #436
Sam Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I certainly had no problems finding it, but here is the link:

https://github.com/wmcbrine/hmevlc/downloads
I will try that.

github is working again for me, so I can tell you what I did. I went to the page from the first message in this thread. Then I clicked on the button near the top that says "ZIP". That downloaded a zip file. I don't see what else I should have done. You said it was easy to find, but I think I did what most people would do.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #437
lrhorer

Then you need to merge it into HME for Python. You do have HME for Python loaded and running?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #438
Sam Ray

Now it works for me. Thank you.

Note that I did look at the first and last pages of this thread before I tried to install. Hopefully now people looking at the last page will see useful instructions, at least until this page is no longer the last page.

Unfortunately I misunderstood the description. I was hoping to be able to see NASA TV live but apparently I misunderstood.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #439
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Not here for whiners.

No, you didn't misunderstand. It's supposed to let you watch NASA TV (among other things). But I can't get that to work right now, either. It's been a while since I tried it.

Edit: And here's why it doesn't work:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA
Note to viewers: On July 31, 2012, NASA.gov discontinued streaming NASA Television in the QuickTime and Windows Media proprietary formats. The change helped us to simplify our webcasting infrastructure. The site will continue to stream NASA Television and NASA Newsaudio in Flash and HTML 5 for iOS devices.
From http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Oh well.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 08-05-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #440
Allanon

Easiest way to stream NASA TV to the TiVo is to record NASA TV using Stream Transport and while recording use HME/VLC Video Streamer, Stream Baby, or pyTiVo to stream that recording to the TiVo. You don't have to wait for the recording to stop before transferring it to the TiVo.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #441
jwagner010

I have hmevlc running however none of the URL's in the config.ini file show up. The RSS feeds and Video directories do. Any thoughts?
jwagner010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #442
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
I have hmevlc running however none of the URL's in the config.ini file show up. The RSS feeds and Video directories do. Any thoughts?
Are you saying the streams won't play, or they don't even appear in the menu? If it's the latter, I'd assume that HME/VLC can't find a working copy of VLC.

If it's the former... yeah, most of the example streams are dead now.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #443
jwagner010

Appears to be the later as when I remove the needs VLC True line from config they now appear on the menu (but obviously stream doesnt play witout VLC now). I have VLC installed and it works when I use it from the command line but HME/VLC seems to have problems locating VLC. Any thoughts?

Running on Linux

Last edited by jwagner010 : 12-09-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #444
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

[hmevlc]
vlc=/your/path/here/vlc

Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #445
jwagner010

Thanks I was able to get HMEVLC to see VLC with your advise above. When I run a URL requiring VLC (NB I can play the URL in my web browser), HMEVLC throws the following errors:

Code:
./start.py
HME Server for Python 0.20
Sun Dec  9 15:33:47 2012 Server Starts
Registering: hmevlc
Registering: test
192.168.0.4:56322 - - [09/Dec/2012 15:34:07] "GET /hmevlc/ HTTP/1.1" 200 -
192.168.0.4:56322 - - [09/Dec/2012 15:34:07] Starting HME: hmevlc
VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure  '--build=i386-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-linux-gnu' '--target=i686-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/opt' '--enable-v4l' '--disable-v4l2' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-x264' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-a52' '--enable-dvdnav' '--with-dvdnav-config-path=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/bin' '--enable-faad' '--enable-flac' '--disable-gnutls' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-png' '--disable-remoteosd' '--enable-shout' '--enable-speex' '--enable-vorbis' '--disable-alsa' '--disable-dca' '--disable-glx' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--disable-libcdio' '--disable-libcddb' '--disable-screen' '--disable-sdl' '--disable-wxwidgets' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-x11' '--disable-nls' '--disable-static' 'build_alias=i386-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CC=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc' 'LDFLAGS= -L/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib -Wl,-rpath,/opt/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib ' 'CPPFLAGS=-O2   -O2 -pipe -I/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/include -I/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/include/ncurses' 'CPP=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc -E' 'CXX=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/toolchain/gcc-4.2.1-glibc-2.3.6/i686-linux-gnu/bin/i686-linux-gnu-g++' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/slug/optware/syno-i686/staging/opt/lib/pkgconfig'
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
[00000310] dummy interface: using the dummy interface module...
[00000316] main access out error: no sout access module matched "http"
[00000315] stream_out_standard stream out error: no suitable sout access module for `http/ps://:9028'
[00000313] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create chain
[00000312] main stream output error: stream chain failed for `transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=2048,acodec=a52,ab=384,audio-sync,samplerate=48000,fps=30}:std{access=http,dst=:9028,mux=ps}'
[00000311] main input error: cannot start stream output instance, aborting
Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #446
jwagner010

I figured out my error above and vlc is now transcoding my stream and things are working fine..... when I start HMEVLC through a terminal window. I then wrote a start up script that would start HMEVLC on my NAS at boot time so that I don't need a terminal window open on my PC. HMEVLC starts fine under this method except anything requiring vlc no longer works again. Below is my start up script. Any thoughts appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for HMEVLC.. put in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

HMEFORPYTHON=/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py

case "$1" in

start)
	if [ -x "$HMEFORPYTHON" ] ; then
		sleep 60
		echo "Starting HME for Python..."
		cd usr/local/hmeforpython
		/opt/bin/python /usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &
	fi
	;;

stop)
	echo "Stopping HME for Python......."
	kill -9 `ps |grep hmeforpython/start.py | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` > /dev/null 2>&1
	;;

*)
	echo "usage: $0 { start | stop }" >&2
	exit 1
	;;

esac

Old 12-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #447
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
I figured out my error above and vlc is now transcoding my stream and things are working fine..... when I start HMEVLC through a terminal window. I then wrote a start up script that would start HMEVLC on my NAS at boot time so that I don't need a terminal window open on my PC. HMEVLC starts fine under this method except anything requiring vlc no longer works again. Below is my start up script. Any thoughts appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# Startup script for HMEVLC.. put in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

HMEFORPYTHON=/usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py

case "$1" in

start)
	if [ -x "$HMEFORPYTHON" ] ; then
		sleep 60
		echo "Starting HME for Python..."
		cd usr/local/hmeforpython
		/opt/bin/python /usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py > /dev/null 2>&1 &
	fi
	;;

stop)
	echo "Stopping HME for Python......."
	kill -9 `ps |grep hmeforpython/start.py | awk -F" " '{print $1}'` > /dev/null 2>&1
	;;

*)
	echo "usage: $0 { start | stop }" >&2
	exit 1
	;;

esac
I suggest not re-directing to /dev/null. Instead, I would not employ a redirection in the init script, at all. What I do is call a startup script from the init script. That way the init script should never hang the system. Then in the startup script, I redirect the output to a log file, rather than /dev/null using nohup. I'm not familiar enough with Red Hat derivatives to know for sure, but in the Debian System V init every init script is supposed to terminate. Even if it is not the case on your system, it is a good idea to make sure the init scripts do terminate. For more specific info, may I suggest you see this thread. You'll see some of the init and startup scripts I created there.

The other issue could be vlc. I know it does not like running as root, which probably is the case with your script. Redirecting to a log file will help determine if this is the case. You might need to implement a sudo in the calling script.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-19-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #448
jwagner010

Yes appears to have the issue of vlc running as root. I am not familiar with sudo any examples of how this would look in the script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
I suggest not re-directing to /dev/null. Instead, I would not employ a redirection in the init script, at all. What I do is call a startup script from the init script. That way the init script should never hang the system. Then in the startup script, I redirect the output to a log file, rather than /dev/null using nohup. I'm not familiar enough with Red Hat derivatives to know for sure, but in the Debian System V init every init script is supposed to terminate. Even if it is not the case on your system, it is a good idea to make sure the init scripts do terminate. For more specific info, may I suggest you see this thread. You'll see some of the init and startup scripts I created there.

The other issue could be vlc. I know it does not like running as root, which probably is the case with your script. Redirecting to a log file will help determine if this is the case. Yoou might need to implement a sudo in the calling script.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #449
lrhorer

sudo -u <user> <command>

You could run the startup script with sudo from the init script, but if it were me, I think I would do something like

nohup sudo -u <user> /opt/bin/python /usr/local/hmeforpython/start.py

from within the startup script.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #450
jwagner010

Thanks I will try it this weekend. I heard sudo will only temporarily (15 minutes) keep a session/process alive under the alternate user profile and then terminate the session/process. Does the nohup prevent this from occurring?