TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Using Minis with pyTivo?

I saw a discussion many moons ago about using minis with pyTivo through push from a computer or by using VidMgr to push from the mini to another Tivo on your network and then watch from the mini. I am wondering if this is possible.

I use pyTivo to pull videos mostly (push from computer infrequently) and I have VidMgr set up but I'm getting errors (another thread) and I also do not see the VidMgr app on my mini at all. Is this possible?

I am asking because effective this month, my cableco has increased the cablecard price from $1.99 to $4.99 and I may want to add more minis and ditch some Tivos that are mostly used for videos from my server.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrs View Post
I saw a discussion many moons ago about using minis with pyTivo through push from a computer or by using VidMgr to push from the mini to another Tivo on your network and then watch from the mini. I am wondering if this is possible.

I use pyTivo to pull videos mostly (push from computer infrequently) and I have VidMgr set up but I'm getting errors (another thread) and I also do not see the VidMgr app on my mini at all. Is this possible?
Does vidmgr show up on the TiVo?

In any case, you don't need a "real" computer ti initiate a push. Anything that can run a browser, such as a smartphone, can do it.

Quote:
I am asking because effective this month, my cableco has increased the cablecard price from $1.99 to $4.99 and I may want to add more minis and ditch some Tivos that are mostly used for videos from my server.
What model TiVos would you be replacing and are they lifetime or monthly?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Do you use Plex? The community is working on a Plex client that will work perfectly on a mini.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=512505&page=8
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You could turn in the cards, but keep the TiVos. They'd have the same functionality as Minis, plus more.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
leswar
leswar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You could turn in the cards, but keep the TiVos. They'd have the same functionality as Minis, plus more.
Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks.
I should shift my Premiere XL and cable card from the living room into
a new Roamio Basic and use the XL in the bedroom without card.

The XL would then hookup to OTA and also be able to access cable-tv content from the Roamio. Would the XL be able to access Comcast OnDemand as well?
Yes, I have OnDemand on it currently thru the cable card.

"plus more"... what would that be?
leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by leswar View Post
Would the XL be able to access Comcast OnDemand as well?
I dunno.

Quote:
See thread title (as well as OTA, which you mentioned).

Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
lpwcomp

Quote:
Interesting. I never knew that. Thanks.
I should shift my Premiere XL and cable card from the living room into
a new Roamio Basic and use the XL in the bedroom without card.

The XL would then hookup to OTA and also be able to access cable-tv content from the Roamio.
Even though I personally prefer this to replacing it with a Mini, it's not quite the same. The XL cannot "steal" a tuner from the Roamio. It can stream any recording on the Roamio, including those in progress, but you could not use it to channel surf.

Quote:
Would the XL be able to access Comcast OnDemand as well?
No.

Quote:
As you noted, use as an OTA DVR.

Backup to the Roamio if it goes out.

Direct access to pyTivo shares.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
leswar
leswar

thanks for all your answers
leswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
I do need live TV at those locations and my system is all digital. Does anyone with a mini see the vidmgr app?

Are home media apps blocked on the mini?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Allanon

I have a Mini, Premiere, and two Tivo HDs all working together. The Mini only works with the Premiere, you can see the Tivo HD's from the Mini but it won't allow transfer (because Mini doesn't have video storage) or streaming of videos. The same goes for pyTivo, you can see the videos but no streaming. I can transfer shows to the Premiere and then watch them with the Mini since the Mini is just a remote viewing station for the Premiere.

To answer your question, I am able to use VidMgr with the Mini but if I try push to the Mini nothing happens but I can push to the Premiere then watch using the Mini. But there is the usual wait associated with the push before you can watch the video.
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #11
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
I have a Mini, Premiere, and two Tivo HDs all working together. The Mini only works with the Premiere, you can see the Tivo HD's from the Mini but it won't allow transfer (because Mini doesn't have video storage) or streaming of videos. The same goes for pyTivo, you can see the videos but no streaming. I can transfer shows to the Premiere and then watch them with the Mini since the Mini is just a remote viewing station for the Premiere.

To answer your question, I am able to use VidMgr with the Mini but if I try push to the Mini nothing happens but I can push to the Premiere then watch using the Mini. But there is the usual wait associated with the push before you can watch the video.
This is EXACTLY what I want. Is it possible that I have some setup wrong (wrong IP, etc) since I do not see VidMgr on my Mini in the apps section?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I want. Is it possible that I have some setup wrong (wrong IP, etc) since I do not see VidMgr on my Mini in the apps section?
Does vidmgr show up when you directly access the Elite rather than through the mini?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
You do have to "Allow home network apps", or somesuch, at the bottom of the Apps & Games menu.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
You do have to "Allow home network apps", or somesuch, at the bottom of the Apps & Games menu.
Yes, that did it. It had been so long since I had bought a new Tivo that I had forgotten that step.

I can report that it does work. Thanks for the input!

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
Old 09-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Does vidmgr show up on the TiVo?

What model TiVos would you be replacing and are they lifetime or monthly?
I already added one mini months ago for our workout room in the basement, but I am planning to sell all of my Tivos listed below, pick up a Roamio Pro and maybe keep the Premiere XL4 so I would have 10 tuners available- the rest would be minis to eliminate some of the cablecard fees. The fee change from $1.99 to $ 4.99 is a killer, especially since the minis no longer have subscription fees.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and