TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #121
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yeah, the first thing on my list is the program names in the main list. For example, the file name might be "2 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Recorded Sat Apr 12, 2008, KSATDT).mpg, but in the metafile the title is "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and the episode title is "...and the Chamber of Secrets". Since I'm in the "Harry Potter" directory, the "Harry Potter" is not absolutely necessary, although now with the smaller fonts, it will all fit. So it would be nice if the main program display were either the title field (great now with the smaller fonts) or the episode title filed from the metafile, rather than the filename. Of course pyTivo utilizes the episode title, which is why I put the truncated name there, but with the smaller fonts the full title is actually preferable, since some of the shares don't separate by folder that way.

I've got to say, man, you're doing a fabulous job with this utility.
Thanks, I think a lot of the low-hanging fruit type stuff is now out of the way. There are plenty of harder challenges to tackle yet, such as:
* bookmarking location where you last left off viewing a file so you can resume viewing from that point (I think this is possible with some more investigation/work. It sounds easy on the surface but though I have the time point where you stopped viewing I need the corresponding location in bytes of the file)
* ability to jump beyond available buffer (this may not be possible but a worthwhile endeavor)
* some kind of closed captioning support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #122
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You have to build libx264 and libfaac separately before building ffmpeg. I haven't tried yet but the corresponding builds you can get here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/faac/faac-1.26.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/...9-2245.tar.bz2
I got ffmpeg to build with libx264 & libfaac after building the libs given above. One spot of trouble I had is you need to pass -lpthread as an extra ldflag option for ffmpeg configure:
Code:
./ffmpeg -formats | grep lib
FFmpeg version SVN-r15018, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --prefix=/home/moyekj/linux/src/ffmpeg --enable-gpl --enable-libx264 --enable-libfaac --extra-cflags=-I/home/moyekj/linux/src/ffmpeg/include --extra-ldflags=-L/home/moyekj/linux/src/ffmpeg/lib -lpthread
  libavutil     49.10. 0 / 49.10. 0
  libavcodec    51.70. 0 / 51.70. 0
  libavformat   52.21. 0 / 52.21. 0
  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
  built on Aug 29 2008 19:15:09, gcc: 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
  EA    libfaac         libfaac AAC (Advanced Audio Codec)
  EV    libx264         libx264 H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
 DEV D  zlib            LCL (LossLess Codec Library) ZLIB

Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #123
lrhorer

Quote:
You have to build libx264 and libfaac separately before building ffmpeg.
I'm still not quite getting there, I'm afraid. I ran the configure utility for the x264 library which completes just fine, but the make spits out tons of errors if I include the --enable-mp4-output, which I think I need. If not, then I think I'm OK with that codec, as I can configure it into ffmpeg. Don't I need the mp4 output, though, or will ffmpeg take care of that?

The ffmpeg configure utility seems to work OK with both libx264 and libfaac enabled, but I can't get ffmpeg to make. Even with nothing enabled but the defaults for configure, make errors out. There are lots of undefined references, and the linker exits with various errors depending on what I specify in the configure command line.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #124
Rdian06

Quote:
I'm still not quite getting there, I'm afraid. I ran the configure utility for the x264 library which completes just fine, but the make spits out tons of errors if I include the --enable-mp4-output, which I think I need. If not, then I think I'm OK with that codec, as I can configure it into ffmpeg. Don't I need the mp4 output, though, or will ffmpeg take care of that?

The ffmpeg configure utility seems to work OK with both libx264 and libfaac enabled, but I can't get ffmpeg to make. Even with nothing enabled but the defaults for configure, make errors out. There are lots of undefined references, and the linker exits with various errors depending on what I specify in the configure command line.
What version of the x264 library did you get? I just looked at the configure script in git and it doesn't have an --enable-mp4-output option:

Code:
echo "Usage: ./configure [options]"

6 echo ""

7 echo "available options:"

8 echo ""

9 echo "  --help                   print this message"

10 echo "  --disable-avis-input     disables avisynth input (win32 only)"

11 echo "  --disable-mp4-output     disables mp4 output (using gpac)"

12 echo "  --disable-pthread        disables multithreaded encoding"

13 echo "  --disable-asm            disables assembly optimizations on x86"

14 echo "  --enable-gtk             build GTK+ interface"

15 echo "  --enable-debug           adds -g, doesn't strip"

16 echo "  --enable-gprof           adds -pg, doesn't strip"

17 echo "  --enable-visualize       enables visualization (X11 only)"

18 echo "  --enable-pic             build position-independent code"

19 echo "  --enable-shared          build libx264.so"

20 echo "  --extra-asflags=EASFLAGS add EASFLAGS to ASFLAGS"

21 echo "  --extra-cflags=ECFLAGS   add ECFLAGS to CFLAGS"

22 echo "  --extra-ldflags=ELDFLAGS add ELDFLAGS to LDFLAGS"

23 echo "  --host=HOST              build programs to run on HOST"

24 echo ""
Maybe you got confused with the --disable-mp4-output option?

After you compiled the libx264 and libfaac, did you do a make install to actually put them into your systems lib and include paths?

Also, here is the configure information for my Windows ffmpeg build. Not exactly the same, but might help a little:

Code:
FFmpeg version SVN-r14196-rdian06-0.93, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard,
 et al.
  configuration: --enable-memalign-hack --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --disable-ffserver --disable-vhook --enable-avisynth --enable-pthreads

Works on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Rdian06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #125
lrhorer

Quote:
I got ffmpeg to build with libx264 & libfaac after building the libs given above. One spot of trouble I had is you need to pass -lpthread as an extra ldflag option for ffmpeg configure:
I tried it and it didn't fix the problem. There are still a lot of unresolved references, and the linker exits with an error.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #126
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
What version of the x264 library did you get?
x264-snapshot-20050824-2219 I looked a little cross-eyed at the tar file monkeyj specified, and thought it was a bit older, so I'll update the version.

Quote:
Maybe you got confused with the --disable-mp4-output option?
No, it was definiitely enable. I'll get the newer codec, though.

Quote:
After you compiled the libx264 and libfaac, did you do a make install to actually put them into your systems lib and include paths?
Yes, and the ffmpeg configure command finds them just fine, but the make command croaks even with no configure options.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #127
Rdian06

Quote:

Yes, and the ffmpeg configure command finds them just fine, but the make command croaks even with no configure options.
Did you do a make distclean before re-running configure with no options and doing the subsequent make?

If so, what is the compile error it's reporting?

Old 08-30-2008, 12:42 AM   #128
lrhorer

Quote:
Did you do a make distclean before re-running configure with no options and doing the subsequent make?
No, I hadn't thought of that. I'm downloading the new version of the h.264 codec right now. I'll give it a shot after I compile the new codec.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #129
lrhorer

Hoboy. Well, another stumble. When I try to compile the new x264, it trips over yasm. I have yasm installed, but the assembler check looks like this:

Code:
$AS conftest.asm $ASFLAGS $2 -o conftest.o 2>$DEVNULL
In this environment, this translates to:

Code:
yasm conftest.asm -o conftest.o 2>DEVNULL
The contents of conftest.asm are

Code:
pabsw xmm0, xmm0
When I run this externally, yasm complains:

Code:
conftest.asm:1: label or instruction expected at start of line
by which I take it yasm doesn't like the instruction "pabsw".

If I disable assembly compilation via the --disable-asm switch, it compiles, but I would much rather have optimized code. Any ideas, anyone?

I can compile ffmpeg with the result of disabling assembly in the x264 ibrary, but I get a segmentation fault when I try to use the -vcodec libx264 option of ffmpeg. The libfaac audio seems to work, however. I tried transcoding using the mp4 codec, and it plays fine in Nero Showtime, but the Tivo rejects it, both with the -ac 2 option and with -acodec libfaac.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-30-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #130
moyekj

Somehow it seems ffmpeg screws things up for Tivo. I tried lots of things that didn't work. Finally, I decided to take a small test.mp4 file that works and just run it through in copy mode via ffmpeg:
ffmpeg test.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy copy.mp4
You guessed it, copy.mp4 does not play back!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #131
djwilso

Quote:
Somehow it seems ffmpeg screws things up for Tivo. I tried lots of things that didn't work. Finally, I decided to take a small test.mp4 file that works and just run it through in copy mode via ffmpeg:
I am also still having trouble creating my own mp4 files that will play back. CloneDVD Mobile, HandBrake, and Nero 8 Recode all create files that give the 0xffff error. I tried multiple settings with each of the programs.

However, sample mp4 files I can get from iTunes and even the HD H.264 mp4 files from Diggnation work fine.

Does anyone know what tool Revision3 uses to create the Diggnation mp4 files? They play perfectly.

Does anyone have Quicktime Pro that could try to see if that will create a compatible mp4 file? I don't want to waste the $30 if it won't work.

Thanks!
Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #132
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
I am also still having trouble creating my own mp4 files that will play back. CloneDVD Mobile, HandBrake, and Nero 8 Recode all create files that give the 0xffff error. I tried multiple settings with each of the programs.

However, sample mp4 files I can get from iTunes and even the HD H.264 mp4 files from Diggnation work fine.

Does anyone know what tool Revision3 uses to create the Diggnation mp4 files? They play perfectly.
An update from me.

First, the updates to this program keep coming fast and furious. It's really taking shape. I also have been successful with the sample Revision 3 clip that was mentioned earlier. So at least I know I can play some clips using this software.

That being said, I'm seeing the same problems with MP4s that I had previously encoded via Handbrake or Toast using default settings. Clearly this is an encoding issue. I'm assuming that this program can't change what MP4s that a Tivo can play successfully, so it's up to us to figure out what encoding options work, and what don't.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #133
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

When I built my own ffmpeg on Ubuntu, I found it sufficient to use the x264, etc., libraries from the repositories. It was only ffmpeg itself that I had to build. Of course you also need the "-dev" packages that correspond to the libraries (they contain the header files).

I haven't yet tried to make an MP4 file for the TiVo...

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #134
moyekj

Quote:
Using GSpot I see that the copy is missing headers and timestamp and perhaps that is sufficient to mess up the Tivo decoder...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 AM   #135
moyekj

H.264 Encoding settings that work for Tivos

Eureka! Took a lot of trial and error and many different tools but perseverance finally paid off. I ran into this tool I'd never heard of called SUPER which is really just a GUI around x264/ffmpeg/mencoder and after a lot of playing around got some encodings that worked:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

SUPER SETTINGS FOR TIVO-COMPATIBLE H.264 ENCODING
=================================================
Output Container = mp4
Output Video Codec = H.264/AVC
Output Audio Codec = AAC LC

H264 Profile:
BaseLine (CABAC off)
H.264 levels: 2.1 or 3.1 (maybe others I didn't try yet)

Other Opts: (VERY IMPORTANT! THIS WAS THE BREAKTHROUGH SETTING)
Enable "Streamable H.264"

For Video
Pretty flexible, I tried several bit rates and both 29.97 or 24 fps work fine.

For Audio
Also seems flexible, settings I tried:
Sampling Freq = 44100 or 48000, 2 channel, various bit rates
Sampling Freq = 48000, 6 channel, various bit rates

Would be nice to figure out what the above settings translate into for x264 batch encoder.
Not sure exactly what enabling "streamable h.264" does, but the encodings don't work on Tivos without that setting.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-31-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #136
Rdian06

Haven't done it myself, but check this out to try to fix the ffmpeg mp4.

ffmpeg MP4 does not stream qt-faststart
http://www.saiweb.co.uk/linux/ffmpeg...m-qt-faststart

Old 08-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #137
moyekj

For example, something like the following seems to work (mostly):
ffmpeg -y -i test.mpg -vcodec libx264 -coder 0 -level 31 -r 29.97 -b 1008k -g 300 -bug +autodetect+ms -me epzs -trellis 2 -mbd 1 -maxrate 1008k -bufsize 450k -vol 150 -acodec libfaac -profile aac_low -ac 2 -ar 48000 -ab 64k -f mp4 temp.mp4

qt-faststart temp.mp4 test.mp4

EDIT: After more experimentation the ffmpeg generated .mp4 files while they do play normally on the Tivo some of the trick functions such as REW/FF don't work very well, so looks like some further tweaks are needed in the recipe. I have noticed also that playing back some YouTube videos Tivo doesn't handle trick play functions very well either so this may be more a Tivo problem than anything else.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-31-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #138
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

One thing that I have noticed is that both Handbrake (Mac version) and Roxio Toast both have settings for streamable videos. For Handbrake, its a HTTP checkmark setting. The strange thing is that Handbrake doesn't end up saving a file when this setting is used...it's written to but it disappears when the final information is written. This is probably a bug since it occurred on two different Macs in the house.

For Roxio Toast, there is a streaming setting which has a lot of tweaks. So far, I have gotten it to write files, but not something the Tivo + Videostreamer will play (same xFFFF error). One strange bit...the streamable MP4 file I created with Toast will not play via a Quicktime movie player. It's possible it only works from a web browser.

Still trying to find something that works.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #139
lrhorer

Well, the fact Super is a Windows program doesn't thrill me, especially since all the fast machines are running Linux, but there seems to be some bigger issues. First of all, while I've been playing with some of the settings, none of the results play reliably on the TiVo. What's more, even when I select 6 channel audio, I only get stereo on my receivers. The real killer, though, is that all the resultant files are at least six times larger than the original. The whole point of this exercise is to reduce the file size, not increase it.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 AM   #140
moyekj

Quote:
Well, the fact Super is a Windows program doesn't thrill me, especially since all the fast machines are running Linux, but there seems to be some bigger issues. First of all, while I've been playing with some of the settings, none of the results play reliably on the TiVo. What's more, even when I select 6 channel audio, I only get stereo on my receivers. The real killer, though, is that all the resultant files are at least six times larger than the original. The whole point of this exercise is to reduce the file size, not increase it.
The ffmeg line above I got from running Super and then finding out what jobs it spawned off. There is an extra re-mux step Super does at the end I'm not sure about yet but the above is a good starting point and probably just needs a little tweaking and no need for Super anymore. Either way (through Super or ffmeg) most of the files produced do not work very reliably with REW/FF and jumps back and forwards but work OK at normal play speed, but as I mentioned that's also the case with YouTube.
Personally most of my recordings are mpeg2 and they work great so I'm not too bothered about it for now, though HD mpeg2 streaming I sometimes catch up to buffer so a good mpeg4 HD encoding would certainly be a benefit for streaming and space reasons.

Another development today is I think I've uncovered a way to make bookmarking possible (play starting from where you last left off streaming). That should be a handy addition for next release if I can get it fully working and integrated - need to figure out a good, easy way to choose between play from start or play from last saved position.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #141
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Success in encoding

I'm pleased to report that I've had my first success in encoding a MPEG-2 video to MPEG-4 and playing it on my Tivo through Tivostream. I managed to get Roxio's Toast 9 Titanium for Mac to do the job through a customer setting. I'm currently encoding another video now so I can't list every thing I did but here's the basics.

The first thing I did was looked a little closer at the sample Revision 3 video that we all use for testing. According to the Apple Quicktime player, this is a 720p video that is encoded for H.264. The data rate is 2164 kbits and uses a standard 2 channel AAC soundtrack. Outside of that, nothing about it seems that remarkable.

Test video was the Pixar short "Jack Jack Attacks" from "The Incredibles" Bonus DVD. It was originally ripped with Mac The Ripper to my central Leopard Server in my home.

Custom setting:
1. Use the generic H.264 player instead of the pre-made settings for Apple products, like Apple TV.

2. I used a 2000 kbits data rate

3. I just had it optimized for download, not streaming.

4. Single pass encoding (I'm testing a multipass encode right now and will report if it works or not)

5. Optimized for server (there's a special "video" button that reveals this feature"

6. Audio. Two channel AAC, 48kbits.

7. Resolution. At first I tried to match the native resolution of the DVD, which is a 720 x 580 setting (anamorphic widescreen). But for reasons I don't understand, that setting, while it played on the Tivo, had a weird jutter problem in playback that made watching the video difficult. So I tried upscaling to 1080p. This looked and played far better, both on my 1080i RPTV and my 480i standard def bedroom television.

Today, I'll experiment with my more settings (whether encoding for streaming makes a difference or not, other encoding tweaks). One thing that would be nice to do is 5.1 sound (required for me to be happy with doing it for my home theater) but even though it's possible to encode AC3 audio in a H.264 video, whether the Tivo willl play it back properly is a big mystery. Handbrake has a setting for this but I'm not sure that Toast does. Also, I'm not sure the data rate is going to be optimal for a 1080p encode...I have some 1080p movie trailers which I will look at again to check what their data rate is. And I'm sure that 480p trailers of the same movie trailers have a lesser rate.

Last edited by Sevenfeet : 09-01-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Sevenfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #142
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

One minor update... 2 mbits/sec for 1080p is a pretty lousy bit rate, even for upscaled standard def. It looks ok on a standard def TV (32") but it's pretty lousy to my eyes on the 1080i RPTV I have. Compare that to 10 mbits/sec for a Wall-E trailer I have from Pixar (also 1080p). Broadcast HDTV (which is Mpeg-2) is anywhere from 12-19 mbits/sec or 1080i.

I'll try some better rates and see what looks good to the eye.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #143
moyekj

Sevenfeet, how do trick play functions like FF/REW work with your encodings?
With ffmeg there's an option for 6 channel AAC that I've used and it worked (with TV speakers), but I don't have surround sound system to test it.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #144
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Sevenfeet, how do trick play functions like FF/REW work with your encodings?
With ffmeg there's an option for 6 channel AAC that I've used and it worked (with TV speakers), but I don't have surround sound system to test it.
Fast forward and Rewind work pretty well with the Toast encodings.

Toast doesn't seem to have a setting to do 6 channel soundtracks with H.264 encodings (at least the generic ones...still haven't looked at the Apple ones). I know Handbrake can do this in the form of attaching AC3 5.1 soundtracks (Apple starting doing this with their own encodings for Apple TV rentals). Even if you could do 6 channel AAC, I don't know many home theater receivers that could decode that and it would only work over HDMI. My Denon 3805 receiver is too old and doesn't do HDMI.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #145
RaGINaR
Fly Boy

So, is there a nice wrapper that makes this work on my mac?

Wii Code 6715 3989 4782 3489
XBOX LIVE Raginarr
RaGINaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 AM   #146
Rdian06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I know Handbrake can do this in the form of attaching AC3 5.1 soundtracks (Apple starting doing this with their own encodings for Apple TV rentals). Even if you could do 6 channel AAC, I don't know many home theater receivers that could decode that and it would only work over HDMI. My Denon 3805 receiver is too old and doesn't do HDMI.
Apple is putting AC3 5.1 in their rental files? Are they using mp4 container for this or something else?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #147
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaGINaR View Post
So, is there a nice wrapper that makes this work on my mac?
I would think the run_unix.sh wrapper probably works no?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #148
cleverdevil

Quote:
I would think the run_unix.sh wrapper probably works no?
Well, sort of...

Currently, Apple only provides the Java 1.6 runtime as a beta, in a fairly hard to find developer-only area of their website, and only for 64-bit intel Macs.

If the released version were compiled with the "-target 1.5" command line option, then it would work out of the box on Macs, and prevent people like me (with older, 32-bit Mac Minis) from having to compile this by hand every time a new release is out. Alternatively, a script to download dependancies, and build the project from scratch would also do the trick.

I've been playing with this since its release, and really like the idea, but have gotten bored of having to go through the compile process each time, and will likely not bother until there is a way for me to download and install new released *quickly* and *easily* on my Mac Mini. Note, I am not complaining, and I appreciate the work thats been done on this project thus far, I am just saying that my time is very limited, and the current setup is a huge barrier for me personally
cleverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #149
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdevil View Post
Well, sort of...

Currently, Apple only provides the Java 1.6 runtime as a beta, in a fairly hard to find developer-only area of their website, and only for 64-bit intel Macs.

If the released version were compiled with the "-target 1.5" command line option, then it would work out of the box on Macs, and prevent people like me (with older, 32-bit Mac Minis) from having to compile this by hand every time a new release is out. Alternatively, a script to download dependancies, and build the project from scratch would also do the trick.

I've been playing with this since its release, and really like the idea, but have gotten bored of having to go through the compile process each time, and will likely not bother until there is a way for me to download and install new released *quickly* and *easily* on my Mac Mini. Note, I am not complaining, and I appreciate the work thats been done on this project thus far, I am just saying that my time is very limited, and the current setup is a huge barrier for me personally
Point taken. There's no real reason that Java 1.6 is needed instead of 1.5 but at the time I started development I had an ancient JDK installed and needed to update and 1.6 was what was available easily at the time. For next update I'll see if I can revert back to JDK 1.5 when compiling and preparing the jar file.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #150
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

Quote:
Point taken. There's no real reason that Java 1.6 is needed instead of 1.5 but at the time I started development I had an ancient JDK installed and needed to update and 1.6 was what was available easily at the time. For next update I'll see if I can revert back to JDK 1.5 when compiling and preparing the jar file.
Excellent. That means I can run this off of my Leopard Server (PowerPC) where this program belongs.