TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #61
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Which directory are you running the app from?
/usr/share/TiVoStream. Here is a snippet of the script:
Code:
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_03
#JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre
PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME:$JAVA_HOME/bin

# Start tivostream
ps -ef | grep tivostream | grep java > /dev/null
if [ $? -gt 0 ];
then
        cd /usr/share/TiVoStream
	nohup java -cp tivostream_v0p3.jar com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream & >> /var/log/tivostream.log
	echo Starting tivostream;
fi
Quote:
Then post what you see. You can P.M. me if you want to take this offline.
OK, I will.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #62
moyekj

New version posted. Previous version had a bad bug reported by Irhorer. Also added some of the easy stuff on Irhorer's wish list.
http://tivostream.googlecode.com/fil...tream_v0p4.zip

RELEASE NOTES:
v0p4 - August 25, 2008
----------------------
CHANGES
* Fixed bug with incorrect http stream URI construction for certain
configurations.
* Skip ahead button on the remote now jumps to end of a list in file
browser mode and back to start of list if at end (just like Tivo
functionality).
* Changed default list sort order to alphanumeric and with folders always at
the top
* Added sort by file date option.
* Similar to Tivo Now Playing List sorting pressing 1 toggles between
alphanumeric and file date list sorting in file browser mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #63
lrhorer

Quote:
New version posted. Previous version had a bad bug reported by Irhorer. Also added some of the easy stuff on Irhorer's wish list.
Thanks! Oh, just BTW, that's Lrhorer, not Irhorer.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #64
moyekj

P.S. Next version I'll make it so when you pop back left in file browser mode it remembers and returns to the file/folder you traversed into. (Currently it returns to 1st item in the list).

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #65
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Has anyone tried tivostream with the output of a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR?
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #66
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
Has anyone tried tivostream with the output of a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR?
If it's like other PC tuners it probably defaults to mpeg2 transport stream as an output. Some tuners allow you to save in mpeg2 program stream format instead. Currently I don't think anyone has figured out how to successfully feed an mpeg2 transport stream to Series 3 Tivos - they must be in mpeg2 program stream format.
HDTVtoMPEG2 is an example of freeware that can convert from transport stream to program stream (and edit out commercials). There are plenty of non-free tools such as VideoRedo that can do that too.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #67
fyodor

This is a new product that came out a few months ago. It captures HD component video and compresses it to a high definition h264 transport stream.

The transport streams are famously hard to play back correctly outside of applications that did not make a specific decision to support the HD-PVR so I'd be very surprised if this worked with Tivo.

F

Quote:
If it's like other PC tuners it probably defaults to mpeg2 transport stream as an output. Some tuners allow you to save in mpeg2 program stream format instead. Currently I don't think anyone has figured out how to successfully feed an mpeg2 transport stream to Series 3 Tivos - they must be in mpeg2 program stream format.
HDTVtoMPEG2 is an example of freeware that can convert from transport stream to program stream (and edit out commercials). There are plenty of non-free tools such as VideoRedo that can do that too.

Last edited by fyodor : 08-25-2008 at 04:42 PM.
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #68
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
This is a new product that came out a few months ago. It captures HD component video and compresses it to a high definition h264 transport stream.

The transport streams are famously hard to play back correctly outside of applications that did not make a specific decision to support the HD-PVR so I'd be very surprised if this worked with Tivo.

F
Interesting. Being a transport stream it would still at minimum require conversion to program stream before attempting to stream to Tivo.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #69
moyekj

A note for those running other HME based applications such as Galleon. This already is described in documentation of latest release: you can tell this application to use a different port than default port 7288 if you like by adding --port # at the end of the java command used to launch the application.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:01 PM   #70
cleverdevil

Java 5 Compatibility?

I have an older Mac Mini I'd like to run this on, and the newest version of the JRE available is Java 5 (1.5.x). Can you compile the jar with a 1.5 target, so that I can try it out?

I checked out the source, but it didn't seem to include any sort of build files or dependencies, so I gave up pretty quickly.

Thanks!
cleverdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #71
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverdevil View Post
I have an older Mac Mini I'd like to run this on, and the newest version of the JRE available is Java 5 (1.5.x). Can you compile the jar with a 1.5 target, so that I can try it out?

I checked out the source, but it didn't seem to include any sort of build files or dependencies, so I gave up pretty quickly.

Thanks!
Sent you a P.M. with build from source instructions.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #72
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
you can tell this application to use a different port than default port 7288 if you like by adding --port # at the end of the java command used to launch the application.
Nice.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:12 AM   #73
lrhorer

Quote:
A note for those running other HME based applications such as Galleon. This already is described in documentation of latest release: you can tell this application to use a different port than default port 7288 if you like by adding --port # at the end of the java command used to launch the application.
Thanks. I may do that just because. By running tivostream first and then Galleon, it seems to avoid the issue.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 AM   #74
lrhorer

The next step

OK, the next step is to convert my video library to MPEG-IV. I'm having some problems getting a playable mp4 stream, however. I can get a great looking conversion with about a 40% space savings using the following:

Code:
ffmpeg -i filename.mpg -b38810 -acodec copy filename.mp4
but ffmpeg warns about the file not being playable, and although Nero will play the file, it won't play audio. The TiVo rejects it entirely. I've tried various permutations of the -ac switch, but it usually just croaks saying the codec is unsupported. Most of the material is 5.1 Dolby, originally recorded on the Tivo. How do I get this to convert to a TiVo-friendly h.264 format with 5.1 audio?

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-26-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #75
djwilso

I was able to download an MP4 video file from iTunes that this would play, but for some reason all of the files I've tried to create myself using CloneDVD Mobile using the Apple TV option all get an error on the TiVo saying they are rejected for some reason. All of the files play fine on the computer, in iTunes, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Nero Showtime, etc.

The files transfer over using pyTiVo just fine, of course.

Any ideas what might be wrong with my files? I've tried various forms of naming conventions and have tried both large and very small files, but I get the same result.

Are there constraints with which audio or video codecs are allowed?

Not sure how I can create a compatible MP4 file that the TiVo will play.

What applications can I try if I want to convert a DVD into an MP4 file that will stream properly using this application? I have Nero 8 installed.

Thanks,
Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #76
moyekj

Major breakthrough tonight - I finally figured out how to allow streaming from different file volumes/partitions in Windows. It's actually quite trivial - the trick was getting the right URI which I finally figured out in Java with File.toURL().toURI() functions. This will be very useful for anyone using Windows and storing video files on external drives (like me!).

Now I can focus on allowing multiple top directories to be specified in config.ini as a top screen starting point.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #77
jtkohl

Quote:
For Galleon, you can change the port in the properties panel (menu item) from the configuration tool.
jtkohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM   #78
Chew

Would it be possible to include a sample "config.ini" file with the next release?
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #79
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
How do I get this to convert to a TiVo-friendly h.264 format with 5.1 audio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine
The MPEG-4 files that work (so far) are h.264 video, AAC audio, in a Quicktime (MOV) wrapper.
But I can't comment specifically on the issue of 5.1.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #80
moyekj

Too busy right now to play around with ffmpeg conversions to see what Tivo likes but I'm sure there are others familiar with ffmpeg here that can post what works for them (hopefully preserving 5.1 audio if present in original source).

Old 08-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #81
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Would it be possible to include a sample "config.ini" file with the next release?
Will do. With the upcoming release there will be a little change in that under <topdir> now multiple top level directories can be specified (1 per line), but other than that no change to current syntax described in html doc.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #82
windracer
joined the 10k club

How about the ability to customize the name of the app on the menu instead of just 'videostream'?

|
Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #83
moyekj

v0p5 release

Some good stuff in this release as well as a fix to FF/REW.
NOTE: Very simple sample config.ini is now included with the installation. You should edit the file to add paths to your video files under the <topdir> line before starting the application. You can add any paths you like now from any file volume and it doesn't matter if they don't all exist at the time you run (non-existent paths are ignored).

http://code.google.com/p/tivostream/downloads/list

v0p5 - August 27, 2008
----------------------
* Added capability to stream files from any file volume.
* Added option to configure multiple top directories as starting point
for file browser (see documentation).
* Made file suffix checking case insensitive.
* When returning from a directory you are no longer thrown to the
top of the list.
* Switched to use the more stable (non-experimental) HME version 1.4.
* Added Tivo sounds where previously they were missing.
* Clear number display & buffer immediately after n min jump forwards/back
* Change application showing under Music, Photos, Products & More
to "Video Streamer"
* Added error text id & message display when video playback fails.
* Documentation updated

Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #84
windracer
joined the 10k club

I can get tivostream to run through Galleon, sharing port 7288, but there must be some conflicting functions in the jar because some of my Galleon apps will crash.

So for now I'm back to running it separately with the --port command-line parameter.

|
Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #85
Sevenfeet
Gentle Giant

First of all, thanks to Moyekj for working on this. Unfortunately, I've yet to be successful in getting a movie to play.

I have a small collection of movies from my DVD collection that I have converted via Handbrake using default options. A few of the movies were converted using Roxio's Toast for the Mac.

Getting an environment to play a movie wasn't easy. Although I have lots of hardware in the house, most of it is Mac hardware. In order to run a Java 1.6 app, I need a 64-bit Mac and only my wife's Macbook Pro fits the bill. She usually is using that machine for school so I didn't want to try to configure it.

I do have an ancient Sun Ultra 60 running Solaris 10, but I don't think I have Java 1.6 on it. I'm about to rebuild this machine so I'll make sure it's included when that happens.

That leaves my Thinkpad laptop running Windows XP SP2 that I use for work. After loading Java 1.6 on it, monkeying around with the config.ini file syntax and doing the upgrade to p5, I at least got to the point where error messages on the console ended. The fact that p5 can play movies from a network share helped since all of my movies sit on a file server in the house. But every time I tried to play something, I got an error from the Tivo screen saying the movie couldn't be played with an "0xffff" error.

I've read in this thread about the fact that the Tivo might be sensitive to how movies are converted for playback. The Sony PS3 is extremely sensitive to this versus my Macs that will pretty much play anything thrown at them. So assuming the error I'm seeing is a playback error, what should I be doing (or not doing) to properly convert a movie that the Tivo would like?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #86
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
How about the ability to customize the name of the app on the menu instead of just 'videostream'?
Quote:
* Change application showing under Music, Photos, Products & More to "Video Streamer"
Nice.

|
Old 08-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #87
PaulS

I've had my first successes streaming video with this latest version. I had no luck with the previous versions (v0p3 and v0p4), but this newest build is up and running without issue. 720p H.264 content stream just fine, at slightly faster than realtime on my semi-clunky Athlon 3000+ (2.0GHz) machine over a longish 802.11g wireless network.

Thanks moyekj!
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #88
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I've read in this thread about the fact that the Tivo might be sensitive to how movies are converted for playback. The Sony PS3 is extremely sensitive to this versus my Macs that will pretty much play anything thrown at them. So assuming the error I'm seeing is a playback error, what should I be doing (or not doing) to properly convert a movie that the Tivo would like?
First I would establish that you can indeed play back a known to work video such as systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4 posted earlier in this thread which is a HD h.264 encoding. If that one works it establishes that your problem is indeed an encoding the Tivo can't handle.
NOTE: That one is a pretty big download, so if you have a decrypted mpeg2 from a Tivo to try instead that would be a good option too.
I've never used handbrake but I'm sure there are configuration options for the encoding that can be tweaked to make it work. One of these nights I'm going to have to play around with ffmpeg/mencoder/handbrake and figure out an encoding recipe that works starting from a small mpeg2 clip. Currently most of my videos are in mpeg2 format as they came mostly from my Tivos and I don't like to lose any quality by re-encoding and I haven't tried re-encoding them to mpeg4/h.264. If anyone else here has movies they have converted to mpeg4/h.264 please share your recipe.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-28-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #89
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
* Change application showing under Music, Photos, Products & More to "Video Streamer"
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Nice.
Original plan was to make the name configurable as well (in config.ini) but it's not possible as the name must be defined in the main class constructor which gets called before the parsing of the config.ini file happens.
For next release I've added some font customization capability (medium,large,small choices) to config.ini.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #90
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Original plan was to make the name configurable as well (in config.ini) but it's not possible as the name must be defined in the main class constructor which gets called before the parsing of the config.ini file happens.
Just a thought, but what about passing it as a commandline option, defaulting to "Video Streamer" if nothing is given?
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote