TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #31
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
ill this app run under Linux? I need any video transfer application to run under Linux, because my video server is a Linux machine.
I got it to start on my Ubuntu machine, but kept getting http errors when connecting to it with my TiVo.
Quote:
Will it co-exist with Galleon? I have both Galleon and pyTiVo running on the server.
Seems to, I've got Galleon and pyTiVo running on my server as well. I tried to get tivostreamer to run through Galleon (via launcher.txt) and had problems, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:19 PM   #32
moyekj

Quote:
I have some questions:
  1. Will this app run under Linux? I need any video transfer application to run under Linux, because my video server is a Linux machine.
  2. Will it co-exist with Galleon? I have both Galleon and pyTiVo running on the server.
  3. Have you tried any high bandwidth videos? Of course a 20 Mbps MPEG-II video when converted to MPEG-IV probably streams at only 10 Mbps or so, but if the TiVo (S3 or THD) has a problem keeping up with the video content, this could mean trouble.
  4. Do you have folder support built-in like pyTiVo?
  5. Do you have Metafile support built-in?
1. Yes. In fact a lot of my development is on a Linux server.
2. Yes, this app uses different ports than the default ports used by those apps.
3. Yes. I've served up some 1080i & 720p mpeg2 streams to my S3s as well as a few 720p h.264 streams. One issue of course is how fast the transfers happen. S3s do a better job than THD units but for high bit rates you will likely end up catching up to the buffer pretty quickly. h.264 files HD files since they are smaller than mpeg2 obviously transfer faster. This app automatically pauses when you catch up to the buffer (similar to MRV viewing while transferring). Haven't tried 1080p and I doubt the tivo decoder can even handle those never mind the transfer speed issue.
4. Yes, you browse for video files on your computer in any folder structure you want.
5. No. Currently pressing info button simply shows the name of the file being streamed. Parsing the metafile to grab more information about what's playing is a good idea and I'll put it on the to do list.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #33
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I got it to start on my Ubuntu machine, but kept getting http errors when connecting to it with my TiVo.
I'm seeing something like that, as well. From the server:

Code:
RAID-Server:/RAID/Recordings# sh run_unix.sh
Instance ID = 000b143431bee13b
hme-host-sample version: 1.4.1 threadsafe-experimental
debug: Loaded factory: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream
debug: Class loader for com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader
debug: Context class loader: sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader
added factory
MDNS ADD: http://192.168.0.56:0/videostream/
Contacting mDNS localhost daemon at 127.0.0.1:5354
Connection to mDNS localhost daemon failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
mDNS localhost daemon: service not found.
        > java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
jmdns library: register [start]: http://192.168.0.56:0/videostream/
jmdns library: register [done]:  http://192.168.0.56:0/videostream/
On the TV:

Code:
An error occurred while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error. 0x50005).
Quote:
Seems to, I've got Galleon and pyTiVo running on my server as well. I tried to get tivostreamer to run through Galleon (via launcher.txt) and had problems, though.
I'm just trying it directly from bash, at the moment.

Edit: The docs call for JRE 1.6.0_01-b06 or later. I'm running 1.6.0_03-b05, which I would think is later than 1.6.0_01-b06. I'm running the 64 bit JRE, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-23-2008 at 10:40 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #34
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
1. Yes. In fact a lot of my development is on a Linux server.
See my post above.

Quote:
3. Yes. I've served up some 1080i & 720p mpeg2 streams to my S3s as well as a few 720p h.264 streams. One issue of course is how fast the transfers happen. S3s do a better job than THD units but for high bit rates you will likely end up catching up to the buffer pretty quickly
They don't when I'm using pyTivo or galleon, except whenI am transferring the very highest bitrate programs. As long as the average bit rate is below around 16Mbps, I don't usually have any trouble:

As you can see, I'm usually able to get TTCB transfers above 16 Mbps, but some of the MPEG-II programs I have exceed that, requiring me to buffer as much as 5 minutes per hour of program time. That means waiting about 15 minutes before starting to watch Lawrence of Arabia or Judgment at Nuremberg, for example.

Quote:
h.264 files HD files since they are smaller than mpeg2 obviously transfer faster.
Well, one would tend to think so, but not necessarily. If any extra overhead is involved between the TCP stack and the hard drive for h.264 content versus MPEG-II, it could slow down the transfer. Also, it's possible HMO transfers might tend to be faster than HME. I'd be interested in quantitative comparisons. For that matter, I'll do them myself, if I can get the app running.

I'm hoping for two things:

1. Smaller program files stored on the server, whihc obviously allows me to store more programs. I'm running out of room fast, and I didn't want to have to upgrade the RAID array until the 2T drives are released, and hopefully drop in price. Cutting the file sizes in half will take me a long, long way.

2. To have even the very highest bandwidth videos stream without bumping up against the buffer.

Quote:
Haven't tried 1080p and I doubt the tivo decoder can even handle those never mind the transfer speed issue.
That's OK. Almost all the videos were transferred from the TiVos in the first place.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #35
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Netflix?

So now you have me wondering. Is this, or something similar now going to allow us to watch Netflix movies streamed through the PC?
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #36
moyekj

Quote:
Code:
jmdns library: register [start]: http://192.168.0.56:0/videostream/
jmdns library: register [done]:  http://192.168.0.56:0/videostream/
It's not binding to the correct port. If it's working right it should be on port 7288 not port 0. Use ps to find and kill any stray java jobs and then try it again. Once it starts on port 7288 then it should work. I found on Linux once in a while a previous server run did not die correctly and was hogging port 7288 and subsequent runs wouldn't bind. That portion of the HME code is not in my control so I can't look for alternate available ports.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #37
lrhorer

Quote:
It's not binding to the correct port. If it's working right it should be on port 7288 not port 0. Use ps to find and kill any stray java jobs and then try it again. Once it starts on port 7288 then it should work. I found on Linux once in a while a previous server run did not die correctly and was hogging port 7288 and subsequent runs wouldn't bind. That portion of the HME code is not in my control so I can't look for alternate available ports.
Well, there was a java job, but it wasn't a stray. It was clearly spawned by galleon. When I killed the child process, the parent spawned another one automatically, and I still could not launch tivostream. When I killed the parent process and then the child process, tivostream launched correctly, but galleon went crunch. I could neither launch the Galleon GUI on the server nor any Galleon apps on the TiVos.

I'll gather some greater detail later. In the mean time, I've started a TTCB session of pyTivo transferring an episode of Planet Earth I'm going to get some sleep and then transfer the same episode using tivostream and see how the transfer rates compare.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #38
moyekj

Quote:
Well, there was a java job, but it wasn't a stray. It was clearly spawned by galleon. When I killed the child process, the parent spawned another one automatically, and I still could not launch tivostream. When I killed the parent process and then the child process, tivostream launched correctly, but galleon went crunch. I could neither launch the Galleon GUI on the server nor any Galleon apps on the TiVos.

I'll gather some greater detail later. In the mean time, I've started a TTCB session of pyTivo transferring an episode of Planet Earth I'm going to get some sleep and then transfer the same episode using tivostream and see how the transfer rates compare.
Galleon uses a few ports, one of them being 7288 which would conflict with this app. According to this page Galleon should look for alternate ports if not available, but that doesn't seem to be happening in your case:
http://galleon.sourceforge.net/index...d=36&Itemid=47

Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #39
windracer
joined the 10k club

Ok, that would explain why I couldn't get tivostreamer to work either (through Galleon or alongside it). I see the same thing as lrhorher (the http error and tivostreamer is unable to bind to port 7288). The lack of an icon next to the app name should have been a giveaway to that. I guess I'll try starting tivostreamer first, and then Galleon.

edit: that worked. I started tivostream first, then Galleon grabbed 7289 instead so I have them running side-by-side now.

|

Last edited by windracer : 08-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #40
moyekj

Download:
http://tivostream.googlecode.com/fil...tream_v0p3.zip
(Documentation in HTML is included in zip file)

Release notes for this version:
v0p3 - August 24, 2008
----------------------
CHANGES
* Prevent idle timeout to Live TV during video playback
* Keep status bar up during pause (can be cleared with clear button)
* Added optional config.ini file where starting folder and desired video file
extensions can be specified.
* Added flexible n minute jump ahead/jump back during playback. For example:
1,-> jumps ahead 1 minute
1,1,-> jumps ahead 11 minutes
5,<- jumps back 5 minutes
etc.

NOTE: Because of timeout to live TV in previous versions this version is highly recommended.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #41
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Note that for mpeg4 videos pyTivo transcodes to mpeg2 first before sending to Tivo so the Tivo is not getting same thing in that case. I don't think it's a firewall issue as with firewall blocking you wouldn't be able to get to the initial file browser window either. Give systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4 file a go as it works for me.
Well, that file works.

Any idea on what settings I need when converting my MPG files to MP4 files for this streaming app?

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #42
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
Any idea on what settings I need when converting my MPG files to MP4 files for this streaming app?
There's no reason to do that. It can stream both MPEG-2 (and MPEG-1, for that matter) and MPEG-4.

The MPEG-4 files that work (so far) are h.264 video, AAC audio, in a Quicktime (MOV) wrapper. There's some indication from the specs of the chips in the TiVo that it should handle some other types, but this is all that have been successfully tested, AFAIK.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #43
moyekj

For any developers out there right now there are 2 big hurdles I haven't figured out how to overcome:
1. How to serve up local files on different volumes/partitions? For example if server is running on volume c: then how can I serve up files on volume d:
2. How to override current behavior to allow one to skip ahead of the available buffer? A true stream allows one to jump anywhere in the stream. For this app in particular serving up from local drive it should be possible to do that, but I can't seem to find a way to override that behavior in hme_sdk_1.4 or hme_sdk_1.4.1.

The latest source corresponding to release v0p3 is posted in Source section of Google project:
http://code.google.com/p/tivostream/source/checkout
(If you need help with building full jar file from source send me an email)

Old 08-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #44
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There's no reason to do that. It can stream both MPEG-2 (and MPEG-1, for that matter) and MPEG-4.

The MPEG-4 files that work (so far) are h.264 video, AAC audio, in a Quicktime (MOV) wrapper. There's some indication from the specs of the chips in the TiVo that it should handle some other types, but this is all that have been successfully tested, AFAIK.
The main reason I've been converting my MPG2 movies to MP4 is space... Dropping from 4 to 8GB down to 1 to 2GB saved me from having to get a bigger NAS (yet). I have in the neighborhood of 400 movies.

pyTivo has been converting them back to MPG2 and playing them on my S2 and TiVoHD just fine, but I was hoping to be able to skip the reconvert (as it seems to be adding an occasional artifact/glitch.)

Any suggestions as to what Handbrake settings would be optimal would be appreciated.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #45
fyodor

I'm curious what type of streaming speeds people are getting. My old HD recordings from my computer PVR are too large to stream in real time, even though I have a network that is fast enough (NIM-100s). Between Tivos, my HD recordings usually transfer about 1.5 times as fast as the watched times (i.e. after 10 minutes, 15 minutes of show have transferred).
fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #46
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
I'm curious what type of streaming speeds people are getting. My old HD recordings from my computer PVR are too large to stream in real time, even though I have a network that is fast enough (NIM-100s). Between Tivos, my HD recordings usually transfer about 1.5 times as fast as the watched times (i.e. after 10 minutes, 15 minutes of show have transferred).
I've started some testing, and so far within the limit of uncertainty of the test, the transfer speeds with tivostream seem to be just about the same as TTCB using pyTivo from the same server. Transfer speeds can vary a lot depending on how busy the TiVo is with other things, particularly disk intensive operations. Setting the tuners to disabled channels helps a very significant amount, usually allowing real time or better transfers of moderately high bit rate MPEG-II HD material. The difference between doing a transfer just after a daily call when the tuners are sitting on two 1080i HD programs and waiting a couple of hours and tuning to disabled channels on both tuners is very significant. Last night I transferred a copy of Planet Earth: Great Plains at just over 20Mbps, which means it would have transferred fully in real time. Right after a daily call with both tuners active, that fell to 10.96 Mbps, meaning it would have taken over an hour and 45 minutes to transfer this 1 hour show. Activity on the server, and depending on the LAN topology the LAN as well can impact transfer speeds. The RAID array on my video server can transfer as much as 5600Mbps, but the link to the switch is limited to 1000Mbps. No other machine on the LAN can transfer at anything more than 300Mbps, and the most I have been able to transfer real world has been 500Mbps, but the point is the LAN and video server have no problems keeping up with a 17 - 18 Mbps video stream. Your situation may not be able to readily support such speeds on a regular basis.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM   #47
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
FYI, transfers from this app to your Tivo show up under Network Diagnostics->Transfer History->Videos copied from remote device
Under normal conditions (both tuners tuned to HD channels and perhaps recording) and my laptop using 802.11g I get around 10-11 Mbps which is same as I get with normal Tivo To Go transfers. If I switch laptop to a wired connection and tune both tuners on my S3 to channels I don't receive then I can get it up to around 15 Mbps which is sufficient to keep up with or exceed bit rate of most of my mpeg2 HD recordings. From what I've gathered THD units are still a little slower than S3 units. HD mpeg2 kind of pushes the limit of typical transfer speeds but HD mpeg4 seems very viable - the few I've tried so far need much less than 10 Mbps for real time but of course you can find mpeg4 HD videos with much higher bit rates as well.

NOTE: I would have expected transfer speeds more on the order of MRV which I can get quite easily over 30 Mbps. With TTG there is CPU overhead with encryption and TS->PS conversion which MRV doesn't need to do. I suppose there still is PS->TS conversion going on when streaming to a Tivo? I think it goes back to the fact that this is not real streaming - seems to be using the same TTG/TTCB mechanism. Ideally the Tivo should just decode and display the stream without buffering to hard drive and any conversions it may be doing.
(PS=Program Stream, TS=Transport Stream)

Last edited by moyekj : 08-24-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #48
lrhorer

Quote:
Release notes for this version:
v0p3 - August 24, 2008
----------------------
CHANGES
* Prevent idle timeout to Live TV during video playback
* Keep status bar up during pause (can be cleared with clear button)...

NOTE: Because of timeout to live TV in previous versions this version is highly recommended.
I'm going to give this build a try. As I mentioned, I was doing some testing. I had transferred an episode of Planet Earth using pyTiVo at just a bit above 20Mbps. The average bit rate of this program is 17.5 Mbps. I started up the transfer under tivostream, and it was almost, but not quite, keeping up. I paused the playback and allowed the system to buffer 45 seconds of video before pressing play. The stream kept up pretty well for a while, but then after several minutes it did exhaust the buffer and automatically pause. I left the program paused for several minutes while I munched on a snack, when suddenly the screen went black. Pressing Play brought up the progress bar, but the video would not start streaming again. It also did not apper to be buffering any more data. I tried FF, RR, Play, and while the transport icon changed, nothing happened to the video playback.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #49
lrhorer

Quote:
I see the same thing as lrhorher (the http error and tivostreamer is unable to bind to port 7288). The lack of an icon next to the app name should have been a giveaway to that. I guess I'll try starting tivostreamer first, and then Galleon.

edit: that worked. I started tivostream first, then Galleon grabbed 7289 instead so I have them running side-by-side now.
That worked for me, too. I have a single startup script which now runs pyTivo, tivostream, and Galleon running under Debian "Etch" Linux and a 2.6 kernel on a Dual Core AMD Athlon 64.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #50
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Ideally the Tivo should just decode and display the stream without buffering to hard drive and any conversions it may be doing.
I don't really agree there... although a faster start would be nice, the buffering is what makes all the trick play functions keep working.

Quote:
(PS=Program Stream, TS=Transport Stream)
Unfortunately I have so far been unable to get the TiVo to accept a transport stream.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #51
lrhorer

Quote:
v0p3 - August 24, 2008
This build doesn't work for me. On the trivial side, you might fix your installation instructions. In both the syntax text and the sample config.ini file, you specify the target directory specifier to be <top>, but this does not work. In the discussion text, however, you list the specifier as <topdir>, which does work. When I put <topdir> in the config.ini file, tivostream finds the target directory.

It seems to work fine for programs in the <topdir> directory, but when I try to transfer a program in a subdirectory of <topdir> the TiVo gives me an error saying, "Error: stream rejected by Tivo".

For example, /RAID/Recordings/Used Cars (Recorded Mon, Mar 03, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg plays just fine, but /RAID/Recordings/IMAX/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg does not. I've tried several files in the /RAID/Recordings/ directory and they all work, and several in various subdirectories and none of them do.

They all worked under build 02 when I had the .jar file in the /RAID/Recordings directory.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #52
lrhorer

Quote:
4. Yes, you browse for video files on your computer in any folder structure you want.
Actually, that is only part of what I meant. In pyTiVo I can set up multiple shares. So for example, I have the main share, called "RAID Server" pointing to /RAID/Recordings, which is where all the hard links for the program's inodes reside with subdirectories for series like Star Wars and Harry Potter. I have another share, however, called "Videos Sorted by Genre" which is actually not even on the RAID server volume. Instead, it's top level directory only contains directories such as "Mystery", "Romance", "Comedy", "Western", "Sci-Fi", etc. In each of those subdirectories are symlinks to files in /RAID/Recordings. If I want to browse by Alpha with the series at the top, I select "RAID Server" If I want to browse by genre with no series subdirectories, I select "Videos Sorted by Genre". With your newest build, something like that should be possible.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #53
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I don't really agree there... although a faster start would be nice, the buffering is what makes all the trick play functions keep working.
I came from the ReplayTV world where streaming is true streaming. You can use all the normal trick play functions while streaming and you can jump all the way to the end of a recording instantly without waiting for buffer to build. That's the case when you are playing back a show from a different Replay (i.e MRV) or if you are streaming the stream to your computer (i.e. TTG) and when serving back to the Replay (i.e. TTCB).

That to me would be the ultimate functionality in this kind of app. The down side with ReplayTV is the little buffer they do use is not enough to deal with even small network glitches, so streaming over wireless is hit or miss. Of course that was SD streams only and with the much higher HD streams it's good to have a much bigger buffer to avoid any playback glitches, but there's no reason the buffering needs to happen on the Tivo side. Let the server handle buffering.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #54
lrhorer

Wishlist

This may be premature, but I figured I would go ahead and put in my suggestions for a wishlist:

1. Subdirectories listed separately at the top, regardless of sort. Perhaps configurable via the config.ini file.

2. Sort by Alpha, as opposed to date. Really nice would be making this a switch available from the remote. Of course this presents a little problem as you are using the numeric keys for time jump codes, but the TiVo uses the numeric pad to change the sort order and turn on and off groups. OTOH, there is nothing absolutely requiring consistency between the TiVo UI and your application, but still...

3. Enable the jump key to jump to the end and then the top of whatever folder is being listed.

4. Configurable fonts (probably in config.ini), with commensurately more or less lines on screen. The smallest screen I have where I will be using this utility is 62". More lines on screen and more characters per line would be great.

Edit: strike through most of #2, which was posted because of my own obtuseness.

Last edited by lrhorer : 08-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #55
moyekj

Quote:
This build doesn't work for me. On the trivial side, you might fix your installation instructions. In both the syntax text and the sample config.ini file, you specify the target directory specifier to be <top>, but this does not work. In the discussion text, however, you list the specifier as <topdir>, which does work. When I put <topdir> in the config.ini file, tivostream finds the target directory.

It seems to work fine for programs in the <topdir> directory, but when I try to transfer a program in a subdirectory of <topdir> the TiVo gives me an error saying, "Error: stream rejected by Tivo".

For example, /RAID/Recordings/Used Cars (Recorded Mon, Mar 03, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg plays just fine, but /RAID/Recordings/IMAX/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg does not. I've tried several files in the /RAID/Recordings/ directory and they all work, and several in various subdirectories and none of them do.

They all worked under build 02 when I had the .jar file in the /RAID/Recordings directory.
Hmm yes I'm still not happy with the file browser structure. What I changed was to build paths relative to the starting directory. For example, if you start the app in /RAID/Recordings but want to play videos in /RAID then the URI would be:
URI=http://<ip>:7288/videostream/../RAID/file
For the case you describe your file is below the starting directory so the behavior is not supposed to be different. Can you check that the URI it spits out to the console looks right? It should be in this example:
URI=http://<ip>:7288/videostream/RAID/Recordings/IMAX/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg

Regarding top vs topdir I realized the mistake soon after posting the version and I deleted and replaced the html document (with same name), but seems like Google must have cache that prevents the changes from being seen, since when I download from there it's still wrong (and missing a .gif file that is supposed to be part of the zip file I also replaced).

Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #56
lrhorer

Quote:
I came from the ReplayTV world where streaming is true streaming. You can use all the normal trick play functions while streaming and you can jump all the way to the end of a recording instantly without waiting for buffer to build.
I see both sides of the argument for this. There are indeed times I wish I could jump past something whether the buffer is exhausted by the request or not. 'Mostly, this happens at the beginning of a program, when I might want to skip over the leader and intro credits. It's definitely low priority for me, however, and given a choice between stability and the ability to jump past the end of the buffer, I'll take stability.

Quote:
it's good to have a much bigger buffer to avoid any playback glitches, but there's no reason the buffering needs to happen on the Tivo side. Let the server handle buffering.
Well, yeah, there is a reason for at least somewhat of a buffer on the TiVo side. Due to the nature of networking, even wired networking, and the fact the TiVo may vbe fairly busy doing other things, even if the network connection is on average sufficient to stream the program without pauses, in real time both the program data and the network utilization are going to be somewhat "bursty". Without at least several seconds of buffer, one is liable to run out of data even though the average data rate is lower than the average network performance. Of course with many of the programs I transfer, the LAN can't keep up, even with a very large buffer. Only by relying on at least a 15 minutes (about 2 gigabtes) of buffer, can I reliably expect to not have to sit and wait multiple times during the program. Doing so is very distracting. Of course, as I mentioned before, I hope h.264 encoding will eliminate the problem altogether.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #57
moyekj

Quote:
This may be premature, but I figured I would go ahead and put in my suggestions for a wishlist:

1. Subdirectories listed separately at the top, regardless of sort. Perhaps configurable via the config.ini file.

2. Sort by Alpha, as opposed to date. Really nice would be making this a switch available from the remote. Of course this presents a little problem as you are using the numeric keys for time jump codes, but the TiVo uses the numeric pad to change the sort order and turn on and off groups. OTOH, there is nothing absolutely requiring consistency between the TiVo UI and your application, but still...

3. Enable the jump key to jump to the end and then the top of whatever folder is being listed.

4. Configurable fonts (probably in config.ini), with commensurately more or less lines on screen. The smallest screen I have where I will be using this utility is 62". More lines on screen and more characters per line would be great.
1. Yes that is my goal, have a list of individual shares at the top level that you can delve into. I'd like to resolve the Windows multiple volumes problem though before attempting that.
2. The numeric codes I implemented are only in effect during video playback. In file browser mode they currently do nothing. i.e. the remote control functions in file browser mode and playback mode are completely independent so no reason that type of thing could not be implemented.
3. Should be easy enough - in fact I'm surprised the default class I'm using in the bananas SDK doesn't already do that. Channel up and down at least work currently to skip up and down by page.
4. I programmed with that thing in mind to allow configuration of such things in long term by using variables everywhere instead of hard coded numbers. One annoying thing however is currently there's no easy way to get font size information (specifically how many pixels are occupied horizontally & vertically) on the fly thus making dynamic calculations based on font size very difficult. Via trial and error I can make a few different font sizes work but that's not a very appealing thing to work on right now.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #58
lrhorer

Quote:
For the case you describe your file is below the starting directory so the behavior is not supposed to be different. Can you check that the URI it spits out to the console looks right? It should be in this example:
URI=http://<ip>:7288/videostream/RAID/Recordings/IMAX/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg
No, it isn't. Here is the output to nohup.out:

Code:
Using vStrings!
>> Reading config file: config.ini
>>config: topdir=/RAID/Recordings
URI=http://192.168.0.56:7288/videostream/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg
192.168.0.102 Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
As you can see, the directory structure is missing. This is what it looks like when I select one in the top directory:

Code:
URI=http://192.168.0.56:7288/videostream/../../..//RAID/Recordings/systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4
192.168.0.102 ../../..//RAID/Recordings/systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4 HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
Quote:
Regarding top vs topdir I realized the mistake soon after posting the version and I deleted and replaced the html document (with same name)
OK.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #59
lrhorer

Quote:
1. Yes that is my goal, have a list of individual shares at the top level that you can delve into. I'd like to resolve the Windows multiple volumes problem though before attempting that.
Well, OK. Since I avoid Windows like the plague whenever possible, I don't care whether multiple volumes work on Windows, or not.

Quote:
2. The numeric codes I implemented are only in effect during video playback. In file browser mode they currently do nothing. i.e. the remote control functions in file browser mode and playback mode are completely independent so no reason that type of thing could not be implemented.
Oh, duh! I realized my error a few minutes ago, but you had already posted this.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 PM   #60
moyekj

Quote:
No, it isn't. Here is the output to nohup.out:

Code:
Using vStrings!
>> Reading config file: config.ini
>>config: topdir=/RAID/Recordings
URI=http://192.168.0.56:7288/videostream/Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg
192.168.0.102 Aliens of the Deep (Recorded Sat Mar 01, 2008, HDNETMV).mpg HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
As you can see, the directory structure is missing. This is what it looks like when I select one in the top directory:

Code:
URI=http://192.168.0.56:7288/videostream/../../..//RAID/Recordings/systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4
192.168.0.102 ../../..//RAID/Recordings/systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4 HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
Which directory are you running the app from? I've got a feeling the app is not getting the right initial CWD. Enabling more debug messages may shed more light on the problem. To enable debugging information, set shell variable DEBUG=1 before starting the app. Easy way to do that is add following in the run_unix.sh script before the app launch:
DEBUG=1; export DEBUG
That just spits out information about function calls and their arguments which may give me more information.
Then post what you see. You can P.M. me if you want to take this offline.