TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #301
ninjaFred

i'm using pyTivo, but not galleon. i'll check into it. thanks for the response.
ninjaFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #302
jay0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There must be multiple interfaces available and tivostream is not picking up the one you are expecting. Not sure about OS X but in unix you can run following command to check all available interfaces:
ifconfig -a
It's likely that 192.168.158.1 is one of them. Do you have 2 different domains running on your network?
I uninstalled VMWare Fusion as I use Parallels now and all is well. It properly detected the correct network interface and all is well. it works like a champ, good work!

Thanks!
jay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:55 PM   #303
jay0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaFred View Post
moyekj, the streamer rules. very cool.

one request...how hard would it be to install this as a windows service? my kids often close the cmd window and kill the streamer.
Hehe, and as a service for OSX that would show up in the Preference pane
jay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM   #304
menos

Quote:
It looks like your Tivo(s) are rejecting the streams after several minutes. Do the original mpeg2 files from which these were encoded stream and/or transfer OK to the Tivos? It helps to run them through VRD QuickStream fix if you didn't before encoding to mpeg4. If one of the samples is not too huge PM me if you like so I can give you a location to deposit a sample so I can try it out.

Are you able to get this sample to stream OK all the way through?
systm--0063--dolby--hd.h264.mp4
If that one works OK then that means your setup is OK.
The test file you provided streams just fine. I'll try one of the .mpg files here in a little while but I'll have to download it again from the tivo. All of the files I'm reencoding have been run through VRD quickstream fix, as part of the kmtgg job.
Is there anyway to check the integrity of a .mp4? Tivostream seems to be dieing on the files, but pytivo doesn't seem to have a problem.

If you've got somewhere I can upload 3gig I'll send you one of the files thats crapping out on me.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #305
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
The test file you provided streams just fine. I'll try one of the .mpg files here in a little while but I'll have to download it again from the tivo. All of the files I'm reencoding have been run through VRD quickstream fix, as part of the kmtgg job.
Is there anyway to check the integrity of a .mp4? Tivostream seems to be dieing on the files, but pytivo doesn't seem to have a problem.

If you've got somewhere I can upload 3gig I'll send you one of the files thats crapping out on me.
3 GB is a little too big to deal with. Since you know about where it is crapping out perhaps you can use VRD to edit out everything but shortly before and after the point it craps out and then send me the resulting mpeg2 clip? If resulting mpeg2 is below 1GB then I can work with that so please PM me and I can give you an upload location (ftp).
EDIT: Of course it's possible that after editing the file as such and re-encoding to mpeg4 that it will work fine, but it's worth a shot.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 11-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #306
Laserfan

I installed & ran v0p9 over the weekend and my test mpg streamed & looked great from both my S3 Tivos. Then yesterday I tried it again and it doesn't work anymore:
1. Tivostream appears as usual on the menu
2. My mpg appears there as well
3. When I select the mpg, I get the black screen & "Playing..." displayed
4. But it never goes further, it's just hung

To this point, the tivostream window has shown this:

Code:
C:\tivostream>java -cp tivostream_v0p9.jar com.hme.tivo.videostream.Main com.hme
.tivo.videostream.videostream
STARTING tivostream...
LOG: added factory
MDNS: http://192.168.1.108:7288/videostream/
LOG: 192.168.1.109 icon.png HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
>> Reading config file: config.ini
>>config: topdir=.
>>config: extensions=.mpg .mpeg2 .mp2 .mp4 .mpeg4
>>config: font=medium
>>config: timeout_status_bar=5
>>config: timeout_info=10
>>config: skip_back=8
>>config: skip_forwards=30
>>config: slow_speed=0.125
>> NOTE: No bookmark file found
LOG: HME receiver connected
LOG: unknown event opcode : 8
Now, if I let the Tivo sit on this "Playing..." screen it eventually times-out (5mins feels right) and returns to LiveTV. If I'm stuck on the "Playing..." screen and I left-arrow then the Tivo displays "Can't Run -- An error occurred while running the application. The application closed during a read (0x50006)."

Under both scenarios (timeout and user impatience) the tivostream window adds the following:

Code:
LOG: HME receiver disconnected
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.NullPointerException
My sense is that these latter msgs are not telling me anything i.e. they don't happen until the hung "Playing..." is aborted. Is there an extended logging mode I can invoke to try to learn more?

I reinstalled tivostream and even reinstalled Java to no help. Can't imagine what might have happened as I say that very mpg played fine the other day--heck I watched most of it tho I was only really testing tivostream!

p.s. Both my Tivos played this mpg before via tivostream (from the same computer). Both have the problem now.
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 AM   #307
moyekj

Laserfan, the console window should show something like the following when starting a stream:
Code:
LOG: 192.168.1.107 lost.mpg HTTP GET - to factory /videostream/
url=file:/c:/home/dvd/testing/lost.mpg
To get a lot of debugging information edit the run_win.bat script and add the following as 1st line:
Code:
set DEBUG=1
How are you starting mpg playback? Select, right arrow, or play button? The play button will try and start from where you left off while select/right arrow will start from beginning, so they are different which is why I ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #308
Laserfan

Quote:
How are you starting mpg playback? Select, right arrow, or play button?
I tried it both ways. Not getting the "URL" msg, must have some glitch in my network?

Code:
C:\tivostream_v0p9>set DEBUG=1

C:\tivostream_v0p9>java -cp tivostream_v0p9.jar com.hme.tivo.videostream.Main co
m.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream
STARTING tivostream...
LOG: added factory
MDNS: http://192.168.1.108:7288/videostream/
>> Reading config file: config.ini
>>config: topdir=.
>>config: extensions=.mpg .mpeg2 .mp2 .mp4 .mpeg4
>>config: font=medium
>>config: timeout_status_bar=5
>>config: timeout_info=10
>>config: skip_back=8
>>config: skip_forwards=30
>>config: slow_speed=0.125
>> Reading bookmarks file: bookmarks
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=C:\t
ivostream_v0p9
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2089,
focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30] x=25 y=4 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setFlags(line 66): flags=1
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=C:\tivost
ream_v0p9
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.handleFocus(line 62): fo
cus=true v1=BView[#2089,focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30] v2=null
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=Top Level

>>>Listener.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.Listener.getLogger(line 425):
LOG: HME receiver connected
>>>Listener.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.Listener.readEvents(line 315): app=vi
deostream[#1,uri=null] in=com.tivo.hme.host.http.server.HttpConnection$InStream@
15fea60
>>>HostContext.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.HostContext.getLogger(line 91):
LOG: unknown event opcode : 8
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.handleKeyPress(line 70):
 code=6 rawcode=16778246
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.handleAction(line 92):
 action=push
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.makeFileName(line 87):
 name=C:\tivostream_v0p9
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.lastEntryPush(line 197
): name=C:\tivostream_v0p9
>>>InitialScreen.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.InitialScreen.updateFileList(lin
e 71): DIR=C:\tivostream_v0p9
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=DIR: C:\t
ivostream_v0p9
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.clear(line 39):
>>>ViewScreen.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ViewScreen.remove(line 491):
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.handleFocus(line 62): fo
cus=false v1=null v2=BView[#-1,focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30]
>>>InitialScreen.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.InitialScreen.getSortedByName(li
ne 144): DIR=C:\tivostream_v0p9 files=[Ljava.lang.String;@911f71
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeEntryName(line 72): DIR=C:\t
ivostream_v0p9 name=Gattaca.mp4
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeEntryName(line 72): DIR=C:\t
ivostream_v0p9 name=India Arie - Purify Me.mpg
ivostream_v0p9 name=The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
ivostream_v0p9 name=video1.mp4
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.createRow(line 18): pare
nt=BView[#2118,focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30] index=0
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=Gatt
aca.mp4
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2118,
focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30] x=25 y=4 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=Gattaca.m
p4
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.createRow(line 18): pare
nt=BView[#2124,focusable,bounds=0,30,512x30] index=1
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=Indi
a Arie - Purify Me.mpg
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2124,
focusable,bounds=0,30,512x30] x=25 y=4 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=India Ari
e - Purify Me.mpg
nt=BView[#2130,focusable,bounds=0,60,512x30] index=2
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=The
Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2130,
focusable,bounds=0,60,512x30] x=25 y=4 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=The Fugit
ive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
nt=BView[#2136,focusable,bounds=0,90,512x30] index=3
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=vide
o1.mp4
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2136,
focusable,bounds=0,90,512x30] x=25 y=4 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=video1.mp
cus=true v1=BView[#2118,focusable,bounds=0,0,512x30] v2=null
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setVisible(line 46): visible=false

>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.handleApplicationError
(line 208): code=4 message=view -1 not found
>>>ScreenList.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ScreenList.handleKeyPress(line 70):
 code=3 rawcode=16777475
cus=false v1=BView[#2124,focusable,bounds=0,30,512x30] v2=BView[#2118,focusable,
bounds=0,0,512x30]
cus=true v1=BView[#2124,focusable,bounds=0,30,512x30] v2=BView[#2118,focusable,b
ounds=0,0,512x30]
 code=3 rawcode=16777475
cus=false v1=BView[#2130,focusable,bounds=0,60,512x30] v2=BView[#2124,focusable,
bounds=0,30,512x30]
cus=true v1=BView[#2130,focusable,bounds=0,60,512x30] v2=BView[#2124,focusable,b
ounds=0,30,512x30]
 code=6 rawcode=16778246
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.handleAction(line 92):
 action=push
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.makeFileName(line 87):
 name=The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>videostream.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.videostream.lastEntryPush(line 197
): name=The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>GLOBAL.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.GLOBAL.makeFileName(line 65): name=The
Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>HostContext.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.HostContext.getBaseURI(line 153):

>>>ViewScreen.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.ViewScreen.startStream(line 52): UR
I=http://192.168.1.108:7288/videostream/The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg fil
eName=The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>MetaData.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.MetaData.<init>(line 17): fileName=C:
\tivostream_v0p9\The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>MetaData.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.MetaData.parseMetaData(line 25): file
=C:\tivostream_v0p9\The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg.txt
>>>MetaData.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.MetaData.exists(line 106):
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2112,
bounds=0,0,640x480] x=32 y=24 h_multiplier=1 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=The Fugit
ive -- This'll Kill You.mpg
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setVisible(line 46): visible=false

>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2112,
bounds=0,0,640x480] x=32 y=420 h_multiplier=1 type=

bounds=0,0,640x480] x=32 y=320 h_multiplier=6 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setFlags(line 66): flags=258
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setColor(line 61): object=java.awt
.Color[r=255,g=0,b=0]

>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.<init>(line 13): view=BView[#2111,
bounds=0,0,640x480] x=32 y=240 h_multiplier=2 type=small
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setFlags(line 66): flags=258
>>>VText.java: com.hme.tivo.videostream.VText.setValue(line 51): value=Starting
The Fugitive -- This'll Kill You.mpg ...
No firewalls anywhere in it. Will keep looking unless you have another idea!?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #309
chlorox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdian06 View Post
If I'm reading this right, the only h264 video that works is in an MP4 container (MOV wrapper). From what I understand of the MP4 container, the only 5.1 audio it can contain according to spec is AAC 5.1. You can force AC3 5.1 (aka Dolby Digital) into the container (ala -acodec copy), but that violates spec.

So to remain within spec for MP4, you would need to convert the AC3 5.1 to AAC 5.1. To get ffmpeg to do that, your ffmpeg has to be compiled with libfaac support. ffmpeg itself doesn't have a native AAC encoder currently (it's in development, an initial AAC decoder was recently added to ffmpeg trunk), hence the need for the library.

However, even if you create an mp4 file with h264 video and AAC 5.1 audio and the Tivo will play it with tivostream, no one knows what will happen with the audio. If the Tivo just bitstreams the AAC 5.1 signal to your receiver, then chances are your receiver doesn't support AAC 5.1 and won't know what to do with the signal. If you happen to have an AAC 5.1 capable receiver, it just might work.

In my case, my receiver can't handle AAC 5.1 so I would have to hope that Tivo wrote a AAC 5.1 decoder and then set the Tivo unit to decode it to PCM and pass that out to my receiver. If they did that then maybe I could get 5.1 audio.

Has anyone tried playing an EVO or an Mpeg2 TS file with tivostream? Both those support h264 video and AC3 5.1 audio.
an m4v file is an MP4 file with AC3 5.1.... (same exact thing but it's allowed to have AC3)
chlorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #310
moyekj

Laserfan, from your logs it looks like tivostream is not reaching the point where it sends the stream to the Tivo(s) for some reason, but there's no Java exception being generated either so it doesn't appear to be crashing.
Perhaps the file naming is causing an issue somewhere (due to a tivostream bug). Try renaming the file to a very simple name without special characters or spaces just to see if that gets any further...

Old 11-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #311
Laserfan

Quote:
...there's no Java exception being generated either so it doesn't appear to be crashing.

Try renaming the file to a very simple name...
Changed the file to Fugitive.mpg and got rid of the others, some of which were attempts to mux .264 files but which failed miserably (thought maybe getting them out of there was prudent). Anyway, same thing.

About Java, when tivostream worked for me I was running 1.5.0.11. Then it stopped working and I un-installed and re-installed to no effect. So I un-installed again and from the initial trouble post(s) above have been running:

C:\>java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

I should ask--is this build OK? Should I go back to 1.5.0.11 (which I think is the last of the 1.5 versions). I at least want to start-over troubleshooting this with the right version of Java that you'd recommend.

I'm maniacal to get this working again, and then next to figure-out how to properly do 264s for my Tivos. Thanks for paying attention here! Appreciated!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #312
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Changed the file to Fugitive.mpg and got rid of the others, some of which were attempts to mux .264 files but which failed miserably (thought maybe getting them out of there was prudent). Anyway, same thing.

About Java, when tivostream worked for me I was running 1.5.0.11. Then it stopped working and I un-installed and re-installed to no effect. So I un-installed again and from the initial trouble post(s) above have been running:

C:\>java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

I should ask--is this build OK? Should I go back to 1.5.0.11 (which I think is the last of the 1.5 versions). I at least want to start-over troubleshooting this with the right version of Java that you'd recommend.

I'm maniacal to get this working again, and then next to figure-out how to properly do 264s for my Tivos. Thanks for paying attention here! Appreciated!!!
That version of Java matches exactly what I am running on Windows so should work fine. As I said your problem seems rather unique as the application is not crashing but it's not getting to the point where it sends the stream either so something is going wrong.
Perhaps try out tivostream_v0p8 and see if you have same issue there? (There may be extra log commands showing in that version that may help pinpoint the problem further).
EDIT: Another thing to try is reboot your Tivo(s) to see if that makes a difference (I doubt it but worth a shot).

Last edited by moyekj : 11-19-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #313
Laserfan

Quote:
EDIT: Another thing to try is reboot your Tivo(s) to see if that makes a difference (I doubt it but worth a shot).
Kevin, I'd tried running tivostream on 2 other computers, turned-off Home Media on one of my Tivos, physically DISCONNECTED a Tivo from my network, messed with router settings, and disconnected other equipment.

I had not tried rebooting a Tivo, but your idea made sense to me, as I recalled that my Popcorn Hour media player needed re-boot when one tried to play the wrong kind of file on it. I had certainly done that with a couple of my attempts at 264 playback.

Well, rebooting worked! Holy bleep! I will sleep tonight, many thanks for that!

It's gonna make finding a muxer that makes tivostream-friendly 264s very difficult, but at least my hours of troubleshooting this problem are over. Jeez, a TiVo reboot, how simple can you get...

Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #314
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Kevin, I'd tried running tivostream on 2 other computers, turned-off Home Media on one of my Tivos, physically DISCONNECTED a Tivo from my network, messed with router settings, and disconnected other equipment.

I had not tried rebooting a Tivo, but your idea made sense to me, as I recalled that my Popcorn Hour media player needed re-boot when one tried to play the wrong kind of file on it. I had certainly done that with a couple of my attempts at 264 playback.

Well, rebooting worked! Holy bleep! I will sleep tonight, many thanks for that!

It's gonna make finding a muxer that makes tivostream-friendly 264s very difficult, but at least my hours of troubleshooting this problem are over. Jeez, a TiVo reboot, how simple can you get...

Thanks again!
I guess I should know better and always make a reboot my 1st suggestion. Anyway glad it's working now.
As far as encoding H.264 if you use "kmttg" there are 2 encoding profiles called "tivostream_sd" and "tivostream_hd" which use ffmpeg to create files that will stream to Tivos (it automatically runs the encodings through qt-faststart after ffmpeg). If you don't want to install kmttg then you can use ffmpeg & qt-faststart directly to do it (I can post the exact ffmpeg commands necessary), but having a GUI makes things easier. For SD files it's best to leave them as mpeg2. H.264 format is handy for HD files as it cuts down the bandwidth needed to stream them and keep up with real time playback.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #315
Laserfan

Quote:
I guess I should know better and always make a reboot my 1st suggestion.
In my own defense neither of my Tivos showed any hint of instability, and in 8+ years of owning Tivo I've had to reboot only a couple of times so I just never think about it!

Re: encoding 264 for Tivo, as I indicated I already have a Popcorn Hour that plays everything I throw at it, but it sure would be nice, for the room I have (only) an HDTV and TivoHD in (not the PCH), if I could re-mux & play Blu-ray discs, both comm'l and homebrew. In particular I like to re-encode HDTV to BD because it's the most efficient way to back-up such programs in full HD glory, and cost-effective too (DVD-5/9).

I need either to figure out how to demux & remux .m2ts files to mp4, or I suppose the alternative might be to start by re-encoding for tivostream mp4, then trying to convert those to BD-compliant (without re-encoding which takes days for me). But I don't know anything about mp4 containers.

P.S. Altho I'm not going to use it this way, I discovered tonight that tivostream works on my 450MHz P3 from, what, 1998? Streaming SD that is. Still, pretty amazing stuff.

Last edited by Laserfan : 11-19-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #316
menos

Quote:
3 GB is a little too big to deal with. Since you know about where it is crapping out perhaps you can use VRD to edit out everything but shortly before and after the point it craps out and then send me the resulting mpeg2 clip? If resulting mpeg2 is below 1GB then I can work with that so please PM me and I can give you an upload location (ftp).
EDIT: Of course it's possible that after editing the file as such and re-encoding to mpeg4 that it will work fine, but it's worth a shot.
Initial results are that the .mpg streams fine though way, way slower . I've tried cutting a chunk of the video out of the .mp4 and the .mpg +-3 minutes around the failure timecode, but the shorter samples stream fine.

Both of the files I've worked today have had the problem. One died after 21:16 and the other died at 20:50. Coincidence?

Like the last attempt this is the entry in the log
Code:
21:17:49,234  INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - 192.168.1.50 I/O Exception handling  HTTP GET Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles-(Nov-17-2008)-Complications.mp4: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
I guess it's funny but that is the same error you get if you just hit the left arrow and leave the stream. It's like the tivo is killing the stream for some reason.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #317
menos

The plot thickens. Both of the problem children videos have the exact same problem and die in the exact same place when using wcmbrine's hme/vlc streamer. I guess I need some way of verifying the .mp4 file doesn't have any errors.

They play fine in vlc, though quicktime errors when I try and play them through it (should they play through quicktime?).
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #318
moyekj

Quote:
The plot thickens. Both of the problem children videos have the exact same problem and die in the exact same place when using wcmbrine's hme/vlc streamer. I guess I need some way of verifying the .mp4 file doesn't have any errors.

They play fine in vlc, though quicktime errors when I try and play them through it (should they play through quicktime?).
That's good information that the hme/vlc streamer also fails which points the finger at some .mp4 incompatibility for Tivo. Which encoding profile did you use? If you used tivostream_hd try using tivostream_sd instead to see if that works.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #319
Laserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
One minor update... 2 mbits/sec for 1080p is a pretty lousy bit rate, even for upscaled standard def. It looks ok on a standard def TV (32") but it's pretty lousy to my eyes on the 1080i RPTV I have. Compare that to 10 mbits/sec for a Wall-E trailer I have from Pixar (also 1080p). Broadcast HDTV (which is Mpeg-2) is anywhere from 12-19 mbits/sec or 1080i.

I'll try some better rates and see what looks good to the eye.
I've made a 1080p .mp4 that plays beautifully (a little over 5Mbps) using MP4Muxer which is a GUI front-end to MP4Creator. It now includes AC3 support, but my first effort results in no sound out of Tivo. Maybe it doesn't like the 640Kbps audio track bitrate--I will try 448 instead to check.

EDIT: Turns out 640Kbps AC3 is OK; I think I just de-selected the "Interleaving" checkbox in MP4Muxer. And the total bitrate is 6600Kbps--I will try to find the upper range of 1080p bitrate the TiVo will handle. This is very exciting stuff!

Last edited by Laserfan : 11-23-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:16 PM   #320
westside_guy
Annoyingly ephemeral

I'm having a small problem with tivostream and certain mp4 files. I've got a few H.264 / AAC mp4 files that are widescreen 640x360 (they're TV shows we purchased from iTunes maybe a year ago, but recently ran through Requiem so we could play them on the TV rather than our computer). If I use tivostream to stream and watch them (to a Tivo HD feeding a 16:9 Sony Bravia TV), they are displayed as if they have a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than 16:9 - but if I transfer them to the Tivo using pytivo instead, they display correctly.

I don't have very many digital videos to use for comparison; but this aspect ratio problem seems to only effect these particular shows - other files appear to display using the correct aspect ratio. However I don't have any other iTunes-purchased television shows to use for comparison - I don't have any other videos that are 640x360 actually.

Any ideas how I can rectify this? Thank you!
westside_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #321
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by westside_guy View Post
I'm having a small problem with tivostream and certain mp4 files. I've got a few H.264 / AAC mp4 files that are widescreen 640x360 (they're TV shows we purchased from iTunes maybe a year ago, but recently ran through Requiem so we could play them on the TV rather than our computer). If I use tivostream to stream and watch them (to a Tivo HD feeding a 16:9 Sony Bravia TV), they are displayed as if they have a 4:3 aspect ratio rather than 16:9 - but if I transfer them to the Tivo using pytivo instead, they display correctly.

I don't have very many digital videos to use for comparison; but this aspect ratio problem seems to only effect these particular shows - other files appear to display using the correct aspect ratio. However I don't have any other iTunes-purchased television shows to use for comparison - I don't have any other videos that are 640x360 actually.

Any ideas how I can rectify this? Thank you!
There's probably not a 16:9 flag defined in those videos so Tivo is assuming 4:3. There's probably not an easy way to fix it other than stretching the picture horizontally which if you use Native output mode you may be able to do with TV settings, or if you use some fixed output mode on Tivo then choose "Full" under Aspect Correction Mode. Note, aspect ratio button doesn't work inside tivostream playback so you need to set it externally before starting tivostream if you go that route.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #322
menos

Quote:
That's good information that the hme/vlc streamer also fails which points the finger at some .mp4 incompatibility for Tivo. Which encoding profile did you use? If you used tivostream_hd try using tivostream_sd instead to see if that works.
Update: The exact same .mpg that was encoded to the tivostream_hd profile and failed was encoded to the tivostream_sd profile and streamed correctly.

Isn't the only difference between the two the bitrate?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #323
moyekj

Quote:
Update: The exact same .mpg that was encoded to the tivostream_hd profile and failed was encoded to the tivostream_sd profile and streamed correctly.

Isn't the only difference between the two the bitrate?
Yes, bitrate is only difference. _hd is 8000k and _sd is 2000k. Perhaps editing the _hd profile and backing down to 6000k will solve the problem and still be a good encode (the file to edit is tivo_mp4_encode.pl).

Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #324
Laserfan

Does anyone here have a TivoHD with the new update (11.0.P3 I think) and is tivostream working? My S3 w/9.4 sees my tivostream server but not the TivoHD (yes I rebooted it ).
Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #325
BiggieSmalls

This App ROCKS! Is it possible to have multiple instances of this app running on various machines throughout the network?

I suppose each stream server would need to be named differently so there aren't duplicate "Video Streamer" apps listed on the Tivo.
BiggieSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #326
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
This App ROCKS! Is it possible to have multiple instances of this app running on various machines throughout the network?

I suppose each stream server would need to be named differently so there aren't duplicate "Video Streamer" apps listed on the Tivo.
Yes you can run multiple instances on different machines. I believe when you have more than 1 of same name the second will be called "Video Streamer [1]", the third "Video Streamer [2]", etc.

NOTE: I know it's not what you are asking, but while technically one instance of this app running on one computer can serve multiple Tivos at once I didn't write the app with that in mind, so while it's possible to start multiple shows playing back from 1 server I don't believe you can exit out of playback mode properly once you do that (the app crashes I believe). It should be possible to fix things so that serving more than 1 Tivo at a time works properly - perhaps a future enhancement if the need is there.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #327
Emillion

Question Black bars on 16:9 source on 16:9 display, vob, live TV

1. Posted this on the pyTivo thread but it is common to tivostream and Tivo Desktop too, on a TiVo HD, 9.4. Wondering if this is a known issue and would appreciate any suggestions for a fix... It would apply to any DVD saved as .vob, renamed as .mpg and then tivostreamed.

... most of the 16x9 DVD vob files still show bars on top/bottom on a 16:9 display... they are MPEG2/AC3 files ... looks like a TiVo problem? No matter what TiVo settings I try - the bars are still there. However I have found DVD-vob files that don't show the bars and the only difference between the files looks to be the "player telecine" 3:2 pulldown. The files "with bars" show 23.976 pics/s but with 3:2 pulldown still 29.97 frames/s (NTSC), 720x480, sar 3:2, par 32:27, dar 16:9. The files that play full 16:9 screen are the same except they have 29.97 pics/s and don't require 3:2 pulldown.

2. Any way to fix the "vob rename to mpg" issue the same way you tricked the lower-upper case for extensions? Would be nice not to have to rename the vob files; and internaly they still are DVD-vob files even when renamed as mpgs so that TiVo could play them...

3. Is the "go back to live TV" after five minutes fixed in the new 0.9 tivostream version?

Thank you
Emillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #328
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post
1. Posted this on the pyTivo thread but it is common to tivostream and Tivo Desktop too, on a TiVo HD, 9.4. Wondering if this is a known issue and would appreciate any suggestions for a fix... It would apply to any DVD saved as .vob, renamed as .mpg and then tivostreamed.

... most of the 16x9 DVD vob files still show bars on top/bottom on a 16:9 display... they are MPEG2/AC3 files ... looks like a TiVo problem? No matter what TiVo settings I try - the bars are still there. However I have found DVD-vob files that don't show the bars and the only difference between the files looks to be the "player telecine" 3:2 pulldown. The files "with bars" show 23.976 pics/s but with 3:2 pulldown still 29.97 frames/s (NTSC), 720x480, sar 3:2, par 32:27, dar 16:9. The files that play full 16:9 screen are the same except they have 29.97 pics/s and don't require 3:2 pulldown.

2. Any way to fix the "vob rename to mpg" issue the same way you tricked the lower-upper case for extensions? Would be nice not to have to rename the vob files; and internaly they still are DVD-vob files even when renamed as mpgs so that TiVo could play them...

3. Is the "go back to live TV" after five minutes fixed in the new 0.9 tivostream version?

Thank you
1. I don't think there's anything that can be done in tivostream to deal with that. The streams are being thrown at Tivo as is and it's deciding aspect ratio to display. I have seen several cases of YouTube playback where the aspect ratio is not right either. So short of possibly adding flags to the mpeg stream itself I'm not sure what can be done.

2. Tivo rejects files with .vob extension last I checked, so while you can add .vob as an extension in tivostream to make the files visible in browse mode I don't think Tivo will accept them. There is a way to pass a mime type to Tivo HME streams but I think it basically ignores that and tries to use file extension to determine file type. I'll have to experiment some more with mime type but I think I tried that before and didn't get far.

3. Timeout to live TV during video playback was fixed several releases ago (v0p3 in August). If you are talking about timeout while in browser mode with no activity then that is still there (intentionally).

Old 11-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #329
Emillion

Thumbs up

Quote:
1. I don't think there's anything that can be done in tivostream to deal with that. The streams are being thrown at Tivo as is and it's deciding aspect ratio to display. I have seen several cases of YouTube playback where the aspect ratio is not right either. So short of possibly adding flags to the mpeg stream itself I'm not sure what can be done.

2. Tivo rejects files with .vob extension last I checked, so while you can add .vob as an extension in tivostream to make the files visible in browse mode I don't think Tivo will accept them. There is a way to pass a mime type to Tivo HME streams but I think it basically ignores that and tries to use file extension to determine file type. I'll have to experiment some more with mime type but I think I tried that before and didn't get far.

3. Timeout to live TV during video playback was fixed several releases ago (v0p3 in August). If you are talking about timeout while in browser mode with no activity then that is still there (intentionally).
Thank you for your prompt reply,
1. That's what I thought with tivostream - unless there is a flag for 3:2 player telecine...
2. Tx for looking into it - it would be a plus for tivostream. BTW - with pyTivo vob files transfer and play - why? is this an indication it could be done?
3. Just great!

wmcbrine mentioned HME based apps could "play folders" theoretically - any thoughts on tivostream being able to stream an entire folder of music videos, in random order, for example?
Emillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #330
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emillion View Post
Thank you for your prompt reply,
1. That's what I thought with tivostream - unless there is a flag for 3:2 player telecine...
2. Tx for looking into it - it would be a plus for tivostream. BTW - with pyTivo vob files transfer and play - why? is this an indication it could be done?
3. Just great!

wmcbrine mentioned HME based apps could "play folders" theoretically - any thoughts on tivostream being able to stream an entire folder of music videos, in random order, for example?
Regarding vob files: pyTivo is HMO protocol not HME so different animal.

Regarding "play folder" option: it's probably doable in theory. In practice I foresee the hardest issue would be to correctly identify when a stream has completed playback to know when to stop the stream and start the next one. From what I recall it's pretty hard right now to distinguish between catching up with the end of buffer and reaching end of file. As a result the behavior in tivostream right now is it will pause the stream in either case. There probably are other ways to determine when end of file is reached but it's not trivial by any means. A good suggestion for future enhancements. If you want to get your hands dirty the source code is there (I think source code in Google project is up to v0p8 and I need to check in v0p9).