I was wondering if I could use my single Comcast remote which I use for digital cable with my tivo boxes.
I thought that maybe some of the keys would work, but not all.
I was pleasently surprised.
If you have a comcast 3 in 1 remote(commonly given to you with your comcast digital cable box) you can use the codes below to program it to control your tivo direclty.
You will need to unlock the channel buttons from cable only. The reason for this is because the tivo needs to be able to change channels. Typically with digital cable, your cable box is the only device needs to be able to change the channels. This also unlocks the "enter" key which is actually "select" on the tivo boxes.
Believe it or not, the down arrow key is actually enter
. The info key
is actually thumbs down. This is needed to restart the tivo, repeat guided setup, as well as other functions.
You can still use your cable box to change the channels by pressing the "cable" button on top of the remote.
To disable channel lock:
1) on the remote control, press Cable once. Then press and hold Setup until the Cable key blinks twice, then release setup.
Enter 9 -7 - 3. Press CH-(that's channel down) once. The cable key will blink four times.
Now you can control your channel changing from more than one device.
For all standard stand alone tivos series 2, you will need to program the TV key on the remote to control the tivo. I know this sounds funny, since you would think that you would want to program the Aux key to do this. However, just like a TV, Tivo has channel up and down functions, as well as the ability to jump to any channel by inputting the number.
1) Press the TV key on the comcast remote once. The press the Setup key once. The TV button will blink twice. Quickly after that enter the TIVO code 20618.
After you are done with this, your comcast remote can now control your comcast box and your tivo box.
Below is a list of keys that I have found out through trial and error and their equivalent Tivo remote keys.
1)Play, FF, and RW are all the same. So is ch+ and ch-. These work as you would think.
2) The arrow down key is actually "enter"
This is important to remember for guide setup, restart, etc.
3) The info key is actually "thumbs down"
4) Guide key, brings up the guide as well as the Live button. These work as you would think. The Ok/Select key is the same as the select button the original tivo remote.
5) The Menu key brings you to the main tivo menu. Pressing it twice brings you to now playing. This also seems to be the Tivo button. I repeated guide setup a couple of times to verify this.
I understand that the Tivo remote is a great device. This is just for reference for those who don't want to deal with two remotes. I know the comcast remote is not laid out as nice as the tivo remote. I can work with this in a pinch.
This is especially nice for those of us with worn out Tivo remotes or those with buttons that are no longer working.
PS: For the toshiba SD-H400, you would use code 21996.
Most of the keys are the same. I have NOT found the equivalent menu/Tivo button. But the forward arrow and back arrow seem to be able to get you where you need to go. I was NOT able to complete guide setup on this unit because there is no equivalent "tivo button". I'm still investigating other codes for this.
Please post your comments and questions.