TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Series 3 + FreeAgent Pro = no 9.4 (and now no YouTube)

So, I have 3 S3 and 2 THD. All but one S3 has upgraded to 9.4. The one remaining one got a message about potential problems with FreeAgent Pro's.

Is that it? So no upgrade on that one until I get rid of the FreeAgent Pro?

Anyone with a S3 and a FAP external drive get 9.4 yet? I'd think most of us early S3 folks have at least one left with a FAP on it (like me)?

Edit - It appears this is true. If you have a FAP, and weren't in the beta, you won't get 9.4! At least right now. Perhaps Tivo will change their minds? Otherwise, we all have to dump our recordings and buy an Antek and start over! Lame...

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

Last edited by AbMagFab : 08-06-2008 at 09:58 PM.
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
RouterGuy

Same thing here

I have a S3 with a FAP, and got the same message and no 9.4
RouterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
sbessel
Reformed Geek

So what are out options?
I have a spare 1tb drive in an antec case, can I put that in place, will 9.3 accept it?
My other S3 has a 1tb Western Digital with an Antec case and it updated just fine.

What will I loose if I pull the drive?

TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (His) 500 gig eSata
TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (Hers) 1tb eSata
TiVo HD (2/16/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo HD (6/01/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo user since the Series1.
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
jrm01

Quote:
I have a spare 1tb drive in an antec case, can I put that in place, will 9.3 accept it?
What model?
Quote:
My other S3 has a 1tb Western Digital with an Antec case and it updated just fine.
I have this also and it updated and is running fine.

Quote:
What will I loose if I pull the drive?
Everything.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Does WinMFS copy 2-drives to 2-drives yet?

I'd be happy to replace it, but I'd prefer not to lose recordings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
n0pa

I am in the same boat (FAP and not 9.4). Hopefully they push it soon.
n0pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
KGeorgio

All programs recorded since you hooked it up.
KGeorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
n0pa

Other then random restarts every coupe of days i have no problems with shows recording.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0pa View Post
Other then random restarts every coupe of days i have no problems with shows recording.
I've had no problems at all with my FAP S3. However, it looks like they won't download 9.4 to any FAP S3's.

So I have to go and spend $350 on two new 1TB drives and an Antek case, and it looks like completely blow away my S3 and start clean (WinMFS and MFSLive don't support 2-drive to 2-drive copies... bummer...).

!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
(WinMFS and MFSLive don't support 2-drive to 2-drive copies... bummer...).
only one byte needs to be changed.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=399179
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon View Post
That's 2-drive to 1-drive. Do we know that works for 2-drive to 2-drive, plus expansion on both drives?

!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #12
MJedi

I got the same message that the FAP is not reliable with my S3. So they won't push the update to us FAP users? Or the update will break the S3+FAP combo?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
I got the same message that the FAP is not reliable with my S3. So they won't push the update to us FAP users? Or the update will break the S3+FAP combo?
It appears they won't push the update to us. Super lame.

I'm not looking forward to redoing my S3 from scratch, but I'm TTG everything I care about now, and have 2 x 1TB's on order from newegg. I'll try the patched mfslive to see if I can go from 2x750's to 2x1TB's, but I doubt that will work, so I'll be starting with a clean S3...

I'll post again here at a minimum when I get through the upgrade. Hopefully someone else can help, either with confirmation that there is a good 2x -> 2x copy keeping recordings, or that there's some way to get 9.4 without dropping the FAP (although I'm now kind of committed to the upgrade since I just bought the drives).

And hey, I'll get another 500GB of storage on my S3 when I'm done. So it's not a total waste...

!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
S3-2501

I have had no problems with my FAP and S3 since I installed it over a year ago. Alas, I also received the same message and have not gotten v9.4. I have a lot of stuff saved on the FAP/S3 combo and would hate to lose it all now...
S3-2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #15
eDbolson

My Tivo S3 is updated to 9.4 and is running a Free Agent Pro 750

My Tivo S3 just got the message about problems with the Free Agent Pro, but I already have 9.4 on it. Perhaps because I signed up for something I'm not supposed to discuss!?

In any case, I have had severe problems with lockups followed by reboot while playing recordings from HD channels (usually). BUT, I had a curious thing happen just before leaving for a 2 week vacation:

The TiVo rebooted and then would not connect. In fact, the drive appeared to not even be running. I did all of the stuff about powering off, turning on drive, then TiVo, but the drive still wasn't working. I thought that I'd just lost a lot of hours of saved and unwatched shows. However, I have several of these drives. On a whim, I plugged in a different power supply - bingo, drive started up, connected to TiVo and everything was back!

I contacted Seagate and they promised to send a new supply (and less than a month later, I got it!).

In the meantime, I was still having the lockup/restarts. One detail is that the disk and TiVo are in a cabinet with no active cooling and the drive especially gets very hot. In addition it is sitting on a shelf directly on top of a large sub-woofer (supposedly shielded).

I finally pulled the TiVo S3 and FAP out of the cabinet and put them out in the open air. Getting wires rerouted was not fun (optical audio barely reaches) but I am convinced the disk and TiVo are working much better. I have not had a lockup/reboot while watching any NEWLY recorded shows. I believe I still get them with some recordings that I eventually will watch and then remove (or give up on) since I can usually fast forward past the bad spots. I am also convinced that there is a hardware problem with the disk, and have already purchased a new 750 GB drive and put it in the Antec MX-1 enclosure. Now I just need a day free of expected recording to copy the FAP to the new drive.

I bought the Free Agent Pro due mostly to the 5 year warranty. But it apparently doesn't play nice with TiVo S3. Oh well.
eDbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #16
spike2k5

I think one possible solution is to take the drive out of FAP and put it in Antec MX-1.

Quote:
Does WinMFS copy 2-drives to 2-drives yet?
Sorry, WinMFS doesn't do that yet but currently working on a better solution.
spike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #17
msrolla

I also have no problems with the FAP. If I have to stay on 9.3, so be it. I have another S3 (without an FAP) that's updated to 9.4, so it will be used for watching youtube.

Maybe I'll eventually offload the shows and swap for an approved drive, but it's not a rush. What's the status on the WD 1TB "My DVR" Expander?.

Weren't there some people looking for ways to NOT receive 9.4? Looks like there may be a way.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike2k5 View Post
I think one possible solution is to take the drive out of FAP and put it in Antec MX-1.

Sorry, WinMFS doesn't do that yet but currently working on a better solution.
Any ETA? I posted about this on the WinMFS boards back in February, and I don't think anything has been done to help. I don't hold out much hope we'll every be able to do this (at least not in any timeframe that matters - it will be quicker to just TTG/TTCB/MRV everything for most people).

!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrolla View Post
I also have no problems with the FAP. If I have to stay on 9.3, so be it. I have another S3 (without an FAP) that's updated to 9.4, so it will be used for watching youtube.

Maybe I'll eventually offload the shows and swap for an approved drive, but it's not a rush. What's the status on the WD 1TB "My DVR" Expander?.

Weren't there some people looking for ways to NOT receive 9.4? Looks like there may be a way.
But it's not just YouTube, is deleting folders, it's guide-over-playing-program, it's 24-hour guide hop, and a couple other things. It's a nice update (and seems peppier, too).

In any case, I have to be able to upgrade my main HT Tivo to the newest software... And it's really lame of Tivo to simply not upgrade us.

!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #20
NJChris
Moogs!

Funny how my FAP has worked fine since the backdoor was introduced way back when.... and all of a sudden it's not good enough?

Last edited by NJChris : 08-01-2008 at 11:46 PM.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #21
sbessel
Reformed Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
What model?

I have this also and it updated and is running fine.

Everything.
Everything as in all settings and season passes, or just recordings?

The 1tb model I have is a samsung 1tb, the one in my wifes is a Hitachi 1tb.

Funny thing is my wife's got the update and now we are missing a bunch of cable card channels...

so personally I thnk I will stay where I am, the feature list is way to small for such a big change.

But my real question will 9.3 allow me to put in another drive that is not the TiVo blessed unit? I know when I did mine it was a limited window and a menu item that I could add, I know they took that out a while back, so I am concerned if I pull my FAP I would be locked into a TiVo blessed MyDVR 500g unit.

TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (His) 500 gig eSata
TiVo Series3 (6/14/07) (Hers) 1tb eSata
TiVo HD (2/16/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo HD (6/01/09) 1tb internal (Kids)
TiVo user since the Series1.

Last edited by sbessel : 08-02-2008 at 12:14 AM.
sbessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #22
Grey Griffin

I had a FAP hooked up and disconnected it yesterday. AFTER I disconnected and went back to single drive I received the message about it not being compatible. I found the timing rather amusing.

My S3 had started freezing and rebooting the last two weeks and I'm pretty sure it was always shows that were on the external drive. I had a similar problem with a WD drive last year and it ended up frying the whole Tivo so I decided to disconnect before things got any worse.

"I'd call you a genius but I'm in the room."
-The Doctor
Grey Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 AM   #23
MJedi

So what is it about the FAP that makes it unreliable? And why would an Antec with the FAP's drive be better? Or what makes the My DVR Expander work best?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #24
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
So what is it about the FAP that makes it unreliable?
From the TivoHD freeze thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
In very recent testing, multiple Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750gb drives were determined to write to disk slowly enough to cause performance problems. The drive also appears to have some type of basic incompatability with the SATA controller (throws out a lot of drive status CRC errors). This could be caused by a bad or flaky cable, or even electromagnetic noise on one or two drives, but we saw it across the board. Those problems have been there since day one but may not have been particularly noticeable to the customer.

If a problem arises during startup, the external drive might be detected as unsupported or not be recognized at all. Multiple restarts would likely get around the incompatability, but YMMV.
Quote:
And why would an Antec with the FAP's drive be better?
If the problem is the SATA controller on the FAP, it could make a difference. (Your Tivo would still think it is a FAP because it reads the drive's firmware info not the controller's.) I assume they will still push 9.4 to the FAPs anyways? If not, this won't get around the issue of being excluded. If you could do that, people would just buy the MyDVR Expander and throw in a 1TB drive... (to get Plug-N-Play on TivoHD's with bigger drives.)

Quote:
Or what makes the My DVR Expander work best?
Nothing, other than it is the only one support with Plug-n-Play for TivoHD.

Last edited by greg_burns : 08-02-2008 at 08:20 AM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #25
ronr2006

What if I remove my FAP (that's working perfectly!), get 9.4, and then reconnect my FAP? Will 9.4 then not allow the FAP connection ? I realize that I'll loose everything.

RR
ronr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #26
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr2006 View Post
What if I remove my FAP (that's working perfectly!), get 9.4, and then reconnect my FAP? Will 9.4 then not allow the FAP connection ? I realize that I'll loose everything.

RR
Honestly, I can't imagine they will not push 9.4 regardless. Is there a precedent to not receiving an update because of hardware? I seem to recall an issue with a usb adapter, but that was just until the problem was resolved software side.

Edit: I see I didn't really address your question, which is a good one. Can you add a FAP to a 9.4 running S3 Tivo? IDK, but would guess not.

Last edited by greg_burns : 08-02-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #27
n0pa

It doesn't bother me that they will not push 9.4. I think it's nice that they will allow us to run 9.3 because it work better. Most companies will just push the software and leave you to figure out the problem. After all it's easier for them to only have to support one version of the software.

What does bother me is the fact they never told us. It would have been nice in the message they sent to say, "Because of this issue you will not receive 9.4 and later updates". Open communications is all I am asking for. I guess the message they did send is better then nothing at all.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #28
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine they will not push 9.4 regardless. Is there a precedent to not receiving an update because of hardware? I seem to recall an issue with a usb adapter, but that was just until the problem was resolved software side.
The 9.4 switch has been flipped for everyone.

Only people with a FAP on a S3 are unable to get 9.4 (unless they were in the beta testing group). Keep forcing dial-in, and no upgrade. Everything/everyone else should have 9.4 by now.

Ergo, they aren't pushing 9.4 to FAP users. And the message they gave us all indicates such, but the empirical evidence is pretty definitive.

!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #29
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
Otherwise, we all have to dump our recordings and buy an Antek and start over! Lame...
Will just buying an Antec case be enough? Won't you have to also buy a new drive?

Or I am mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
If the problem is the SATA controller on the FAP, it could make a difference. (Your Tivo would still think it is a FAP because it reads the drive's firmware info not the controller's.) I assume they will still push 9.4 to the FAPs anyways? If not, this won't get around the issue of being excluded. If you could do that, people would just buy the MyDVR Expander and throw in a 1TB drive... (to get Plug-N-Play on TivoHD's with bigger drives.)

Old 08-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
RouterGuy

So what can I do if I want v9.4?

Can I just take the drive out the FAP format it and reconnect it to the my S3 with another eSATA enclosure?

Or is my only option to get the official Tivo eSATA drive?
RouterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote