TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
perrce

Announcing: Harmonium Music Player

Harmonium Music Player is an HME application that streams music from your PC to your TiVo, and is now beginning an open beta testing period. Get more information at http://software.dazeend.org

There are other music streaming HME apps out there, so what makes Harmonium special?
  • Harmonium uses information from ID3 tags in your MP3 files to automatically sort your music collection. (Harmonium honors the Album Artist tag when it is found, so albums that contain songs by different artists or combinations of artists are grouped together.)
  • Harmonium supports high-definition televisions and displays album art in large format high-definition when possible.
  • Harmonium has integrated playlist support. Native playlists can be created and edited on-screen. M3U playlists are also supported.
  • Harmonium is easy to use. Installation is as simple as unzipping a file, editing a few lines of text, and starting the application. Using Harmonium is easy too. Harmonium uses TiVo usage conventions when possible to make its interface familiar to anyone who's used a TiVo.
  • Harmonium is cross-platform. There are distributions prepared that install Harmonium so that it starts on Windows and Linux on reboots. There's also a distribution that should run on any operating system that has Java installed (including Mac OS X).
  • Harmonium is free. Licensed under the GNU AGPL, Harmonium has no cost to use and its source code is available to modify and distribute.

Learn more about Harmonium at it's project web page http://software.dazeend.org. Download the software, try it out, and let me know what you think. One word of warning though: this is still beta software and there may be a few kinks to work out. That being said, I and some of my friends use it at home every day. Enjoy!

Last edited by perrce : 04-26-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Update website URL
perrce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

That is a very very nice feature-set! I won't have time to really play with this for a few days, but I'll try to make some time to over the weekend. I'm glad to see some fresh HME development from outside TiVo, Inc. .
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
bacevedo

This looks like a very nice app. Does it support AAC files (non drm)?

About 90% of my collection is m4a in iTunes. Is there a way for me to use this, even if it requires an additional plugin, etc.?

Bryan
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
perrce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
Does it support AAC files (non drm)?
Not right now. For the moment it is MP3 only. My goal right now is to have a full-featured MP3 player for version 1.0, with AAC, Ogg, and FLAC targeted for v2.0.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
bacevedo

Sweet! Once you get AAC support in there, I am all over it. That UI looks fantastic. I have to say nice work on it. Any idea when v2.0 is slated? Are we talking weeks, months, years?

What would be nice is if in v2.0 you could get the playlists from iTunes as well. Not sure how hard that is. I am sure you already have your wishlist for v2.0!

Bryan
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
perrce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
Sweet! Once you get AAC support in there, I am all over it. That UI looks fantastic. I have to say nice work on it. Any idea when v2.0 is slated? Are we talking weeks, months, years?

What would be nice is if in v2.0 you could get the playlists from iTunes as well. Not sure how hard that is. I am sure you already have your wishlist for v2.0!

Bryan
We're probably talking months for v2.0. As for feature requests, head over to the Harmonium web site and post something in the feature request forum. That's how I'm planning to track requests for the time being.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
s2kdave

Nice. Looking at the screenshots it looks like you might be using my bananas-plus api? I still haven't made an official release of that. Yeah, I'm lazy.

At one point I was starting to work on a music player to replace the galleon one. That's actually what prompted me to start the bananas plus, but I got side tracked.

I'll definitely check it out.
s2kdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

/subscribe

I'm a long time JavaHMO -> Galleon music user, but I'll try out something new and shiny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
perrce

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave View Post
Nice. Looking at the screenshots it looks like you might be using my bananas-plus api? I still haven't made an official release of that. Yeah, I'm lazy.

At one point I was starting to work on a music player to replace the galleon one. That's actually what prompted me to start the bananas plus, but I got side tracked.

I'll definitely check it out.
I started out using it, but I ran into a roadblock streaming MP3s using the experimental 1.4.1e TiVo SDK. I ended up having to switch back to non-HD supporting 1.4.0 and use the HME-HD Library which Galleon uses (gotta love Open Source!), and which I thought you also had a hand in. This is probably as good an opportunity as any to thank all the other open source HME apps out there, especially Galleon, that I looked at to for examples of how to use the SDK.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking for suggestions and bug reports. If you haven't downloaded it yet, you might want to hold off a couple hours. I'm going to release v0.2 later today which will add a few convenience features and fix a bug that showed up when you played an empty playlist.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
perrce

Version 0.2 Beta Released

As promised, version 0.2 Beta is now available for download from the Harmonium web page. Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
windracer
joined the 10k club

When I try to fire up Harmonium in console mode, I can see it scanning all my music and then it ends like this:

Code:
jvm 1    | error: unable to invoke method: null
jvm 1    | error: make sure the class is public and has a public static getAppFactory method
jvm 1    | Failed to instantiate any HME apps
jvm 1    | WrapperSimpleApp: main method completed
jvm 1    | Wrapper Manager: ShutdownHook started
jvm 1    | WrapperManager.stop(0) called by thread: Wrapper-Shutdown-Hook
jvm 1    | Send a packet STOP : 0
wrapperp | read a packet STOP : 0
wrapper  | JVM requested a shutdown. (0)
wrapper  | wrapperStopProcess(0) called.
wrapper  | Sending stop signal to JVM
wrapperp | send a packet STOP : NULL
jvm 1    | Received a packet STOP :
jvm 1    | Thread, Wrapper-Shutdown-Hook, handling the shutdown process.
jvm 1    | calling listener.stop()
jvm 1    | WrapperSimpleApp: stop(0)
jvm 1    | returned from listener.stop() -> 0
jvm 1    | shutdownJVM(0) Thread:Wrapper-Shutdown-Hook
jvm 1    | Send a packet STOPPED : 0
wrapperp | read a packet STOPPED : 0
wrapper  | JVM signalled that it was stopped.
jvm 1    | Closing socket.
wrapperp | socket read no code (closed?).
wrapperp | server listening on port 32001.
wrapper  | JVM exited normally.
wrapper  | Signal trapped.  Details:
wrapper  |   signal number=17 (SIGCHLD), source="unknown"
wrapper  | Received SIGCHLD, checking JVM process status.
wrapper  | JVM process exited with a code of 0, leaving the wrapper exit code set to 0.
jvm 1    | Wrapper Manager: ShutdownHook complete
jvm 1    | Server daemon shut down
wrapper  | <-- Wrapper Stopped
java version "1.6.0_06" on my Ubuntu Hardy box.

Any ideas?

|

Last edited by windracer : 07-26-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
raianoat
TiVoBlog.com

I'm receving the following error when I try and start Harmonium on my Mac (10.5.4). Sorry for the cross post but, I also posted something in Harmonium's forum.

http://harmonium.dazeend.org/forums/...ic.php?f=3&t=4

HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:675)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoade r.java:124)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:316)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:280 )
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:374 )
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)
at com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main.createFactory(Main.java:384)
at com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main.<init>(Main.java:151)
at com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main.<init>(Main.java:60)
at com.tivo.hme.host.sample.Main.main(Main.java:534)
raianoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
When I try to fire up Harmonium in console mode, I can see it scanning all my music and then it ends like this:
So actually I noticed that it was always stopping on the same MP3 file. So I loved that MP3 out of my music directory. It got a little farther and then stopped on a different file. So I moved that one out. Then it got through about 1,000 files before it yakked again.

So I'm not sure what's "wrong" with my MP3 files, or what Harmonium is trying to read, that is causing it to crash.

|
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #14
perrce

(Responded to both windracer and raianoat on the Harmonium forums.)
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #15
s2kdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrce View Post
I started out using it, but I ran into a roadblock streaming MP3s using the experimental 1.4.1e TiVo SDK. I ended up having to switch back to non-HD supporting 1.4.0 and use the HME-HD Library which Galleon uses (gotta love Open Source!), and which I thought you also had a hand in. This is probably as good an opportunity as any to thank all the other open source HME apps out there, especially Galleon, that I looked at to for examples of how to use the SDK.

Thanks for checking it out. I'm looking for suggestions and bug reports. If you haven't downloaded it yet, you might want to hold off a couple hours. I'm going to release v0.2 later today which will add a few convenience features and fix a bug that showed up when you played an empty playlist.
Yeah, I wrote the hmehd library too. Same graphics and stuff. I just expanded on it when I made bananas-plus.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
pcbrew

Most of my music does not show album art even though it is embedded. What are the requirements for showing Album Art?
(This is one reason I am interested in this since the TiVo app still does not support album art display.)
(648) Series3 - 750GB (LT, dead PS for now)
pcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
perrce

For album art to show up it has to be in an ID3 tag, and be in GIF, JPEG, or PNG format. If you continue to have problems, send me a track that you think should work and I'll check it out.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #18
s2kdave

I've noticed a few bugs:

- There are duplicate band names in the Browse Music section. There might be spaces or unprintable characters before or after the names in the ID3 tags. You should probably trim the string before comparing if you aren't doing that.

- I played an album that had 1 song in it and then was browsing through the UI. I went to the preferences section and when the song ended, it seemed to have don't a pop() on the screen I was on and went back to the screen before it automatically.

- Music added after the server is started never shows up. If you add new music you have to restart the server. It should either listen for changes or do a quick update check each time the application is started on the tivo. Restarting the tivo app is reasonable.

- On my windows box, the mdns entry never gets registered so it never shows up on my tivo and it doesn't show up in the list in my simulator. I have to manually type in the url in the simulator to use it. There are no errors in the logs either.

- When you go to the Browse Music section, music only gets put into an Artist folder if it has an Artist AND and Album in the ID3 tag. I would expect it to at least create the Artist folder. Everything else gets stuck at the end of the list. Seems a little messy too. Maybe you should create another folder called <Untitled> if there is no Artist name.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
perrce

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave View Post
I've noticed a few bugs:

- On my windows box, the mdns entry never gets registered so it never shows up on my tivo and it doesn't show up in the list in my simulator. I have to manually type in the url in the simulator to use it. There are no errors in the logs either.
This one confuses me. It works just fine on my XP box. I've just been relying on the SDK to take care of all that and haven't seen any problems. Any ideas on how I can reproduce what you're seeing, or what might be the issue?

I'll take a look at the other issues you pointed out as well. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
s2kdave

Quote:
This one confuses me. It works just fine on my XP box. I've just been relying on the SDK to take care of all that and haven't seen any problems. Any ideas on how I can reproduce what you're seeing, or what might be the issue?

I'll take a look at the other issues you pointed out as well. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem is. I've been trying to debug it a little. I'm using the jmdns browser tool. And I see the Harmonium mdns packet coming in, but it never ends up in even the browser list.

Code:
java -classpath hme-host-sample.jar com.strangeberry.jmdns.tools.Main -d -browse -bt
Another thing I noticed that I'm not sure if it's just a bug with the simulator is that if I hit forward or reverse to try and fast forward through a song, the whole app chokes and restarts. I think it might be the simulator though, I'd have to test it on my tivo in order to verify.

You're welcome with the help. I figured I'd rather help you make the music app into what I was envisioning when I was going to create mine.

Other minor annoyances are the preferences dialogs how you have to go down the the button at the bottom in order to hit left to go back. Also, I haven't checked, but are the settings persisted between server restarts?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
s2kdave

Quote:

Ok, I figured it out. I have iTunes installed so it setup Bonjour (mDNS). There must have been something broken about it. I re-ran the latest bonjour binary from http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html and then hit Repair (because it was already installed from iTunes). After doing that, everything started working.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #22
s2kdave

I tested the forward/reverse issues on my tivo and I was right, it was only a problem in the simulator.

Found another potential bug. What is the Screen Blanking preference supposed to do? I assumed after a certain time, it would black out the screen or dim it like a screen saver. It didn't do that so I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

I'm curious, what was your troubles with using HME 1.4.1 experimental? Because there are a lot of things in bananas-plus that I can see your app benefiting from. Like the moveable list (for the playlist editor) and the skin stuff. It also has support for custom keyboards. And has support for the black (greyed out) buttons/list. And all the SD graphics look like the HD ones.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #23
perrce

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kdave
Other minor annoyances are the preferences dialogs how you have to go down the the button at the bottom in order to hit left to go back. Also, I haven't checked, but are the settings persisted between server restarts?
The preference thing was intentional; I agree it's clumsy though. The problem is that you have to press left/right to select a different option, so I didn't want a left press to sometimes change an option and sometime pop the screen. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Preferences should be persistent between server restarts for any given TiVo. If you find that's not the case, it's a bug.

Quote:
What is the Screen Blanking preference supposed to do? I assumed after a certain time, it would black out the screen or dim it like a screen saver. It didn't do that so I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.
Just as you suspected, it is supposed to act as a screensaver when the idle event is received. I was pretty sure it was working for me, but I'll check it again.

Quote:
I'm curious, what was your troubles with using HME 1.4.1 experimental? Because there are a lot of things in bananas-plus that I can see your app benefiting from. Like the moveable list (for the playlist editor) and the skin stuff. It also has support for custom keyboards. And has support for the black (greyed out) buttons/list. And all the SD graphics look like the HD ones.
The problem I had was that I couldn't get it to play music on a TiVo. It created the stream just fine, and music was played on your HD Simulator, but on my Series 3 it would actualy put sound out the speakers. Sort of defeats the purpose of an MP3 player, I think. Anyway, after messing with it for several days, the only change I made was to swap out the version of the SDK and then magically everything worked. Your right, though. Those extra features would have made my life easier. I struggled with the movable list and finally got it working, but I never could figure out an easy way to gray out a button.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #24
perrce

Version 0.3 Beta Released

I've just put out a big update to Harmonium. Version 0.3 Beta is available for download from the Harmonium website. This version fixes lots of bugs (Thanks to all who reported them!), adds some new features, and makes some cosmetic changes.

Highlights include:
  • Now runs on Java 5.0 or later
  • Add or delete music without restarting the server
  • A new look for the Now Playing Screen

For complete details see the Change Log.

Please download, install, and enjoy! If you find any bugs or have any suggestions, please report them in the forums on the Harmonium website. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #25
benh57

Looks good.

A couple requests:

- Show elapsed time on now playing screen
- Automatic fetch of album artwork, like galleon. (none of my tracks have artwork, but the 'image search' galleon displays works most of the time..)

btw any suggestion for a mac/itunes script to automatically get all my album art?

Why does 'next' turn on/off shuffle and repeat? That makes no sense... they should skip forward and back tracks.

Last edited by benh57 : 08-01-2008 at 08:33 PM.
benh57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 AM   #26
perrce

Elapsed time: I'd like to, but I get my time cues from tivo and they are only updated periodically. I'll look into it, but it might not be possible to do cleanly. It's pretty likely that we would skip seconds (jump from 2:22 to 2:24), and/or the elapsed time might be greater than the reported total time. It's goofy like that. Despite that, I agree it would be nice.

Auto fetch artwork. Maybe, but it would be a low priority item for a while.

Key selection: There's no great reason. I had decided early on that next/prev tracks would be controlled by channel up/down. I needed keys for toggling shuffle/repeat and they had some things going for them: they were symmetrically placed on the remote, and the icons on the keys gave visual cues to their purpose. The one that loops back on itself (instant replay) controls whether the music will loop back to the beginning, and the one that looks like the arrow in being inserted into the middle of a stack (advance, and ok, that one takes a little imagination ) controls the shuffle.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #27
s2kdave

Quote:
The problem I had was that I couldn't get it to play music on a TiVo.
I found a workaround so you can play music and use bananas plus with HME 1.4.1e if you want to try it out. Just have your factory extend FactoryPlus and pass in true to the superclass and then music should play properly.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...86#post6542286
Old 08-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #28
jhimmel

Percce,

Thank you for providing this.
I have been waiting for something like this. Installed today and working well.
Have a great day.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #29
perrce

Version 0.4 BETA Released

Version 0.4 BETA of Harmonium Music Player is available for download from the Harmonium web page. This version fixes a few minor bugs, and implements one new feature. For details see the Change Log.

Harmonium now caches the contents of your music collection so that start up times can be sped up. For example, my startup time for my music collection went from around 14 minutes to less than one minute. Hopefully this will help all of you guys with massive music collections. Note that you won't see the speed up the first time you run the new version. You should notice a marked improvement on the second and subsequent runs, though. (The first time, it has to re-read the music collection so that it can be cached.)

Please report any bugs or suggestions to the Forums on the Harmonium web page. Enjoy!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #30
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Harmonium now caches the contents of your music collection so that start up times can be sped up.
Downloading now ...

|