TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Brighthouse Central Florida - Tuning Adapter Coming Soon!

Hi guys. This is related to thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=383361, but I thought it deserved a new thread.

Those of you in the Orlando area likely remember the problems we went through to get our HD channels added back to cable cards.

With the certification of the tuning adapter, and the impending SDV implementation, I pinged the same resource I was working with previously, and asked when we will know more about the adapter, and beta testing, etc...

Here's the response I received this morning:

Quote:
Mr. Okeemike,
We will support the new adapter and expect to receive one for lab testing within the next three weeks. I donít have a date for when they will be available in our market for customers, but I will be back in touch as soon as we receive further updates. I have also let our team know that you would be willing to be a beta tester, though plans for customer testing will not be made until the lab testing is successfully completed.

Regards,
BHN
Looks like we ought to know more in perhaps a month or so...once they receive the device in house.
Series 2 DT
Assorted other humans and animals
Okeemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
tivoknucklehead

great news because I still can't get the 3 new channels they added last month
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
acvthree

I thought that had nothing to do with SDV. Is the tuning resolver going to help that at all?

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
I thought that had nothing to do with SDV. Is the tuning resolver going to help that at all?

Al
The problem is related to channel lineup for CableCard customers not being updated. Since the Tuning Adapter gets it's own channel lineup independent of CableCards (like the cable set top boxes) presumably that issue should go away as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

It will definitely make a difference once SDV is rolled out in
Series 2 DT
Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
The problem is related to channel lineup for CableCard customers not being updated. Since the Tuning Adapter gets it's own channel lineup independent of CableCards (like the cable set top boxes) presumably that issue should go away as well.
Ok, so Tivo is going to use the Tuning Adapter channel lineup before, or at least independent of, SDV.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Al
Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okeemike View Post
It will definitely make a difference once SDV is rolled out in
It should be interesting.

The previous poster says that there are going to be two difference channel lineups, one for the tuning adapter and one for cable card. It is going to be interesting to see how conflicts are handled.

Al
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
It should be interesting.

The previous poster says that there are going to be two difference channel lineups, one for the tuning adapter and one for cable card. It is going to be interesting to see how conflicts are handled.

Al
Not quite. To be clearer, when using the Tuning Adapter you will get the same channel lineup that customers with Cable Company set top boxes get. As we have already seen in many areas, this can be different from the channel lineup that CableCard customers see. Brighthouse in Orlando is a good example. My provider, Cox Orange County for a while was also intentionally leaving channels out of the CableCard channel lineup before SDV was even deployed (while cable box users got the complete set of channels). So it's not just when SDV is deployed that 2 different channel lineups can exist. Some cable companies already have been using different lineups for CableCard customers vs. set top box customers even before SDV deployment.

As far as conflicts between 2 lineups I'm not sure exactly how it works but I don't think that will be an issue. My perception (could be wrong) is that with the tuning adapter it will completely take over the responsibility of channel mapping (mapping cable channels to the right frequencies - in order to handle SDV channels it must do that). The CableCard will still be used for authorizing/decrypting but not for channel mapping purposes.
If my above understanding is correct, then this also leads to another interesting possibility: those without CableCards that want to get a proper cable channel lineup (see the big unencrypted QAM threads) may be able to do so with the adapter. Of course, how those customers can get hold of the adapter without having CableCards is another story, but in theory this could solve that issue as well.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-22-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
acvthree

Thanks. That was different from what I had imagined.

My guess (and purely a guess, I have no information) was that the tuning adapter was just a communication device for sending an SDV request back to the cable head end. I was thinking that the channel mapping would be done how it had always been done.

This looks more sophisticated than I had imagined.

Al
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #10
JWThiers
Smartypants

Its not that their are 2 channel lineups its that there is a variable channel lineup depending on who is watching what at any given moment. Actually with SDV not all channels are at the headend all the time. The headend only puts channels that are actually being used by customers being served by the headend. This allows for more channels to be carried, because ALL Channels are usually not being viewed at any one time. For example, say an area served by a headend has 1000 people. How many channels are actually being watched? The number will be surprisingly low. Probably as low as a couple of dozen (well less than the 200+ channels the cable company has available at any rate) Currently without SDV ALL channels are available ALL of the time. With SDV only the channels that are being viewed are available. This is because the cable boxes are sending a request for a channel to the headend and the headend makes it available. The "Channel Frequencies" can change so 2 way communication between the headend and your cable box is needed. Tivo's do not have this ability built in currently so the "Tuning Resolver" (aka Dongle) fills that roll.

This is WAY oversimplified, but that is what the effect is.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
Its not that their are 2 channel lineups its that there is a variable channel lineup depending on who is watching what at any given moment.
When SDV is deployed certainly that can be the case. I gave examples specifically where SDV has NOT yet been deployed and yet the channel lineups are different. Even way back when I got my 1st S3 there were cases when channel lineup for CableCards were updated at different times (in some cases days apart) than for the set top box folks in my headend, so obviously the UDCP devices were getting a different channel map than set top boxes back when SDV wasn't even on the radar. (And note when I say different channel lineups I am not talking about missing guide data which can be a difference between zap2it and cable co. listings, I mean the physical channel->frequency mappings).

Old 07-23-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
When SDV is deployed certainly that can be the case. I gave examples specifically where SDV has NOT yet been deployed and yet the channel lineups are different. Even way back when I got my 1st S3 there were cases when channel lineup for CableCards were updated at different times (in some cases days apart) than for the set top box folks in my headend, so obviously the UDCP devices were getting a different channel map than set top boxes back when SDV wasn't even on the radar. (And note when I say different channel lineups I am not talking about missing guide data which can be a difference between zap2it and cable co. listings, I mean the physical channel->frequency mappings).
Agreed. I was getting the impression that acvthree thought that SDV was just a different channel lineup and for some reason cablecard couldn't decode it, hence the clarification as to what SDV does and why.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
acvthree

Actually, I was thinking that SDV just required a signal to be sent to the head end to turn on a channel to be transmitted. I thought the channel mapping would be the same, just dependent on if a channel was turned on (transmitting) or not. I'm now getting a better understanding that there is also a different channel mapping. I did also know about what moyeki was saying, I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together. It wasn't as obviously 4 to me as it was to you guys.

I appreciate the patience. I can get these things figured out eventually. :-)

Al
Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
cableguy763

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking that SDV just required a signal to be sent to the head end to turn on a channel to be transmitted. I thought the channel mapping would be the same, just dependent on if a channel was turned on (transmitting) or not. I'm now getting a better understanding that there is also a different channel mapping. I did also know about what moyeki was saying, I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together. It wasn't as obviously 4 to me as it was to you guys.

I appreciate the patience. I can get these things figured out eventually. :-)

Al
Most companies using sdv with simulcast have the cablecards going to the still existant analog channels. I think this is what they were referring to "different" channel maps.
cableguy763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy763 View Post
Most companies using sdv with simulcast have the cablecards going to the still existant analog channels. I think this is what they were referring to "different" channel maps.
I was pleasantly surprised that for my headend (Cox, Orange County), they haven't put any of the digital simulcast channels under SDV and still map CableCard channels to the SD digital versions instead of the analog ones. I was expecting once SDV was deployed for all my sub-100 channels to go analog on my Tivos but so far so good.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
ciner

Question for the ORL folks as I live here as well. Even with this Tuning Adapter, we'll still have the problem of not being able to receive on demand channels right? I love my TMC/HBO/Showtime/Cinemax on demand for free with the regular subscription to the channels. Is there a thread about this already, or when can we expect that fixed as well so we can receive all channels with Tivo?

TIA
ciner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
ciner

Found the answer to my question mostly here:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/03/06...ures-like-vod/

Sounds like soon enough thanks to tru2way there will either be a new Tivo box that supports VOD/PPV or if we're extra lucky they can do it via software for existing Tivo HD owners.
ciner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
JWThiers
Smartypants

Hey Okeemike, Have you heard anything else about this?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #19
dkahs23

Bump
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
guarh

I am interested in this too as a new Tivo customer. Cablecards are scheduled to be installed on Tuesday. Called BHN today and talked to their reps that deal with Cable tv, and of course they didn't know anything about SDV or Tuning adapter. I asked them if I will receive all of my current HD channels with Cablecard and they said yes... (that's North Pinellas, FL)
Will see on Tuesday.

Last edited by guarh : 08-31-2008 at 02:28 PM.
guarh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Hi guys. I haven't been watching this lately... I dropped an email this afternoon to my BHN contact asking for a status up.

I'll reply back here with what I get back.
Series 2 DT
Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
guarh

Would the tuning adapter also fix the problem with channels under 99 being analog?

Last edited by guarh : 09-02-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
tivoknucklehead

I'm not holding my breath
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #24
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

UPDATE
I was contacted by BHN this morning, and advised that they have not yet begun testing the new tuning adapter, and do not have one in house yet. They expect that it will be a 'few more weeks' before they get one in for testing. Their belief is that there is some kind of 'inventory' issue.
Series 2 DT
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #25
JWThiers
Smartypants

Thanks for the info. its nice to have info from someone with a contact on the inside.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #26
guarh

It would be nice if they can get it out soon and start expanding their HD lineup. Their current channes lineup can't compete with new FIOS HD lineup coming up on 10\7
It has most of the channels that I watch in HD, including USA, Sci-fi, Speed and others. It can get very tempting to switch especially if I won't have to deal with SDV and nasty quality analog channels.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #27
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarh View Post
It would be nice if they can get it out soon and start expanding their HD lineup. Their current channes lineup can't compete with new FIOS HD lineup coming up on 10\7
It has most of the channels that I watch in HD, including USA, Sci-fi, Speed and others. It can get very tempting to switch especially if I won't have to deal with SDV and nasty quality analog channels.
And IF I had Fios Available in my area I would be on it like white on rice. Not just for the TV, but especially for the big tubes . they won't clog as easy.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #28
guarh

True. The only thing holding me back is that I have 3 more SD tv's that I will have to use boxes for, which can add a lot to the monthly bill. I will have to check into that.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
JWThiers
Smartypants

Did anyone else lose their HD locals this morning, in the BHN CFL area? I didn't have time to do anything but I wasn't getting signal at all on 1020, 1060 or 1090. I did get a message about a Cable Card Decoder but have no time to check. Has SDV finally hit?
Old 09-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #30
lombard

God I hope not. I'll be checking first thing when I get home. I'm on Merritt Island, so if it's a regional problem, we should know.
lombard is offline   Reply With Quote