TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
kucharsk

Software 9.4 just hit my S3…

A handful of new features, including toggling of closed captions directly from the info screen, the ability to view the guide over programming, and the ability to play or delete a whole folder at once.

But do they fix bugs? Of course not.

This is the third or fourth release in a row where the resolution of the channel reported in the info banner when you change channels is actually the resolution of the last channel you were watching.

I guess we'll also never be able to view stations with slightly bad PSIP data - something all my other ATSC receivers can do.

Someday…
kucharsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
A handful of new features, including toggling of closed captions directly from the info screen
Ah!

Quote:
the ability to view the guide over programming,
How is that new? Or do you mean it will now pop up over recordings, and not drop to Live TV?

Quote:
and the ability to play or delete a whole folder at once.
Interesting!

Quote:
But do they fix bugs? Of course not.
I'm sure they fixed lots of bugs. They just have a policy of not telling us what they are, for reasons they can't adequately explain.

Quote:
I guess we'll also never be able to view stations with slightly bad PSIP data - something all my other ATSC receivers can do.
You'll have to elaborate on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
jy3

How about the lock ups?
jy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
jeffshome

I hope they fixed the “Suggestion group is empty” when it is not and frame advance being ignored.
jeffshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
wdpower

The OP said he had an S3, has any TiVo HD's gotten the update yet? I think I'll force a few conections tonight and see if I get it.
wdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
LoREvanescence

Hmm, I have an S3

I just checked mine, not on 9.4 yet, but did have a restart pending status.

rebooting it now and checking the software version.

Edit:
This is definitely a service update, looks to be a big one too. This is taking longer then the last few.

I have been on a screen that says:

"Preparing the service update.
This may take up to an hour, possibly longer."

For almost a half hour now.

I wonder if their is any chance this update includes the mpeg-4 support for youtube.

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 07-15-2008 at 07:34 AM.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
pomerlp

What is it with this forum? An update is released and the first person to report complains that bugs are not fixed.

Please tell me what bugs you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge right now my TiVo's are working just fine. I had a problem with Amazon Unbox but that got resolved.

Outside of that I have no complaints. I never look at the suggestion area so maybe I'm just not aware of that.

Edit: Just checked my S3. No update but suggestion are there, no problem.

Last edited by pomerlp : 07-15-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: follow up
pomerlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:45 AM   #8
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Subject: You have a new service update!
Date: Tue 7/15

Congrats! You've just received the Summer 2008 TiVo Service Update for TiVo HD and Series 3 DVRs, including these new enhancements to your TiVo Experience:

*Play or Delete a Folder
Play or delete an entire folder of programs with a single button press (including kids shows, music videos ext). Highlight a folder and press PLAY to play all the shows in sequence. Pres CLEAR to delete the entire folder.

*Browse the Guide Any Time
Press the GUIDE button to display the program guide over what you're watching: live TV, a previously recorded program, or even a video download.

*Jump Forward in the Guide
When the Guide is on-screen, press the ADVANCE to jump 24 hours ahead. Press INSTANT REPLAY to go back 24 hours.

*Find a Station in the Guide
Now you can search for a station "call sign" within the Guide, e.g. KQED, WPIX, MSNBC. When viewing the program guide, press ENTER to bring up Guide Options, then SELECT Find by call sign.

*Toggle Closed Captioning On and Off
The Closed Captioning icon in the Channel Banner now toggles closed captioning on and off.

*Review Thumb Ratings
To display a list of all programs that you have rated, select Find Programs, then TiVo Suggestions. Press ENTER to bring up the Review Thumbs screen

Enjoy!

-The TiVo Team
The version number is: 9.4.L6.01-2-648

I'm going to play around with this new release and see if I can find anything else and let you all know how the new features work=)
Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
andyf

Waiting for the Series 2 folks to find this thread and wondering why they don't get these features.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Waiting for the Series 2 folks to find this thread and wondering why they don't get these features.
This S2 owner is praying that they leave his units the heck alone....
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
ADG
Allan

The "Guide" changes are most welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdpower View Post
The OP said he had an S3, has any TiVo HD's gotten the update yet? I think I'll force a few conections tonight and see if I get it.
If you don't get it the first time, there's no point in forcing a connection again for another day or so. It won't make it come any faster.

I tried a forced call this morning; no luck. Also, the priority page is still showing 9.3. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they're now in the "post-beta, pre-wide-release testing" phase, or whatever they call it. Only a few will get it now.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #13
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
The "Guide" changes are most welcome.
Yes, the most definitely are.

The Find by Call Sign is sweet too. I can see where it would be very very useful. If you are hooked up to digital cable and want to find a station you do not watch often and don't know where it is with out looking through the guide or you channel line up. It's quick too. It starts to display matches right away to the right of the text input box. And it will ding and go to the correct station once only one possible match is found. For example, when testing it. I only had to Type WM to get it to go to WMUR.

It also list the channel number location, and the program source such as Antenna. When you hit enter on the highlighted channel, it brings you to that location in the guide.

Also, being able to view the guide while playing back records. It works like a charm.

This release for me seems to be really stable, and any bugs that I did have, such as channels that keep coming back after I unchecked them in channels I receive seem to be gone=) I'm very happy with this release, great job TiVo
Old 07-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
LoREvanescence

I just want to report I found something that will cheer you all up!

Under menu there is now and option called:

Remote, CableCARD, & Devices (I don't remember it saying Devices, though it may have)

Under this menu set there is an option for a "Tuning Adapter"

This menu item gives me a generic page that says No Tuning Adapter:

Some cable providers require a Tuning Adapter for the DVR to receive all channels in your subscription package.

For more information on Tuning Adapters and Switched Digital Video please visit http://tivo.com/switched.

For more information on the need for and availability of a Tuning Adappter, please contact your cable provider.

Another thing that is under this section
Network Remote Control

"The network remote control feature allows your TiVo Digiral Media Recorder to be intergrated with home automation and entertainment control devices on your network. These device include touch panel remotes and other devices that are configured to work with TiVo's network based remote control protocol. This setting will be enabled by your home entertainment or home automation installer."

It is disabled by default

Last edited by LoREvanescence : 07-15-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #15
moyekj

Looking forwards to getting these 4 features!
Quote:
Press the GUIDE button to display the program guide over what you're watching: live TV, a previously recorded program, or even a video download.

When the Guide is on-screen, press the ADVANCE to jump 24 hours ahead. Press INSTANT REPLAY to go back 24 hours.

*Toggle Closed Captioning On and Off
The Closed Captioning icon in the Channel Banner now toggles closed captioning on and off.
Quote:
Remote, CableCARD, & Devices
Under this menu there is an option for a "Tuning Adapter"
P.S. Hope the "Freeze" problem has been fixed for THD users.

Last edited by moyekj : 07-15-2008 at 08:57 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
fallingwater

Thumbs up "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
The version number is: 9.4.L6.01-2-648

If TiVo carried the above concept forward and allowed users to select as default a mode of operation which optimizes either watching TV as TiVo was designed and optimized for, totally time shifted, OR watch it in the more casual manner that Cable Co. DVRs are optimized for, live with trick play, how would TiVo's revenue stream be compromised in any way?

Rather than selling that watching TiVo your (its) way is superior, sell TiVo's versatility and reliability no matter how it's used and let users decide! (Perhaps even throw in a simplistic but reassuring Free Space Indicator.)

Hardcore TiVolutionaries could select with one click to use TiVo precisely as they do now while less committed or newby users would, unless opting for TiVo's traditional mode, hear a program's audio continue when searching, setting up future recordings, or utilizing any of TiVo's various other menus.
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Tazznum1

Mine updated and then it went to the grey/black screen about the cable cards. Then it goes to Now Playing screen and is frozen. About 10 minutes later after many attempts to get it to go to live tv, it is freezing and jumping. So I restart it by unplugging it since it was completely frozen on the Now Playing, except nothing was there.

I think it's DEAD. It's a lifetime sub on a Series 3 HD Tivo model that is a little over a year old. I know Tivo well and had a series 1 and 2 before this one. I'm really upset about it and wonder if it was the new service update since it died right after it.
Tazznum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #18
MickeS

Those new functions sound great. Hopefully some bug fixes too...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
DBLClick

I would be happy if they would just fix the Freeze and reboot issue. It make my tivo useless.
DBLClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Just a little FYI I found. If you are using the live guide style and not the grid. Your highlighted program has to be over on the left side of the guide. If you are over on the right side where it lists the next 8 programs it will just go BONK.

It works really nice to speed though the guide though, I love it.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #21
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
[b]Hardcore TiVolutionaries could select with one click to use TiVo precisely as they do now while less committed or newby users would, unless opting for TiVo's traditional mode, hear a program's audio continue when searching, setting up future recordings, or utilizing any of TiVo's various other menus.
so if i was in menus with that setting then I would always be hearing the live TV buffer audio on the active tuner. That sounds useful for maybe the news or talk shows or music videos but sounds downright annoying when some horror movie or other show that would throw out wild sounds that vary in intensity is on..
Old 07-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
fallingwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
so if i was in menus with that setting then I would always be hearing the live TV buffer audio on the active tuner. That sounds useful for maybe the news or talk shows or music videos but sounds downright annoying when some horror movie or other show that would throw out wild sounds that vary in intensity is on..
The mute button would continue to work regardless of default of course.

Your objection, which many hardcore TiVo users share, is precisely why selecting audio override and related options would properly be a one time user selection of TiVo's default modus operandi which wouldn't require constant fiddling with.

I'd prefer it and I'm sure an unknown but sizable proportion of TiVo users, especially new customers, would appreciate having such a choice as well.
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #23
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
It also has youtube
Where? I don't see it on mine. YouTube doesn't appear to be released to the boxes yet at least for me.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #24
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
It also has youtube
If that's the "real" youtube, that should mean they have enabled mpeg-4 decoding. I wonder if that's the case.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
AdmiralTivo
You talkin' to me?

Any word on if this is supposed to also address the S3 freeze/reboot issue?
AdmiralTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
If that's the "real" youtube, that should mean they have enabled mpeg-4 decoding. I wonder if that's the case.
I was wondering if that was the case with this release.

There is no way to test it though until the real youtube is released onto our boxes, or a update to tivo desktop is released.

The current tivo desktop, 2.6.1 still will convert all mpeg-4's on transfer. However, Tivo did say in another thread there is a new version of tivo desktop coming out this month (but don't hold that to them). I wonder if this is for the ability to transfer mpeg-4s.

It makes me wonder. This update took about 40 minutes to install on my S3.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:16 AM   #27
jrm01

I got the update on my THD last night, but not on my S3.

Interestingly, last night Comcast made a major lineup change, moving 8 channels from analog to digital, adding 4 HD channels and adding 3 Digital channels. The updates were recognized and noted on my S3, but not on my THD. Coincidence?
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #28
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I got the update on my THD last night, but not on my S3.

Interestingly, last night Comcast made a major lineup change, moving 8 channels from analog to digital, adding 4 HD channels and adding 3 Digital channels. The updates were recognized and noted on my S3, but not on my THD. Coincidence?

Try forcing a connection on your THD. The updated guide information should be available for it now if your S3 got it, it probably just missed it either because it connected before the update was posted or what not.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #29
jrm01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post

Remote, CableCARD, & Devices (I don't remember it saying Devices, though it may have)

Under this menu set there is an option for a "Tuning Adapter"

This menu item gives me a generic page that says No Tuning Adapter:
It said Devices before (external storage).

Also, if you go into Diagnostics (which now is called DVR Diagnostics) and check the cablecard status portion it has a new field labeled Tuner Adaptor. Mine says: none.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #30
Tivoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLClick View Post
I would be happy if they would just fix the Freeze and reboot issue. It make my tivo useless.
Did you install a new Hard drive or use an external HD? I have an external drive and I am pretty sure it has been having problems more after I install the external HD.
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote