TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
dubluv
tivo lover

tivoHD w/dvr expander keeps locking up

there have been a couple of threads about freezing hd units, that have dvr expanders connected. mine has been freezing on live tv or playback of recorded content. it sometimes will come back if i leave it for a while, say 30 minutes or longer. sometimes it will reboot on its own. sometimes i've had to reboot it. my other hd w/o dvr expander never freezes. this is getting real annoying. is there a workaround, fix or software update that will address this? i'm getting to the end of my rope with this. please help!

note: no audio plays while the unit is frozen. it sometimes will skip a few frames ahead if i press FF button, but then it just locks again. grrrrr...........

recordings in progress stop

Premier 4
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD 'Lifetime' (320gb)
TiVo HD, soon to be gifted to my son ;-)

Last edited by dubluv : 06-21-2008 at 05:44 AM.
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubluv View Post
there have been a couple of threads about freezing hd units, that have dvr expanders connected. mine has been freezing on live tv or playback of recorded content. it sometimes will come back if i leave it for a while, say 30 minutes or longer. sometimes it will reboot on its own. sometimes i've had to reboot it. my other hd w/o dvr expander never freezes. this is getting real annoying. is there a workaround, fix or software update that will address this? i'm getting to the end of my rope with this. please help!

note: no audio plays while the unit is frozen. it sometimes will skip a few frames ahead if i press FF button, but then it just locks again. grrrrr...........
Just curious why you think the expander is the cause? There are a few well known, but still unresolved, situations where HD units lock up.

You should look for a few of these prominent threads and see which, if any, apply to your case and provide the appropriate information if you think you fall into one of these scenarios.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
dubluv
tivo lover

i'm not saying the expander is the problem, but it seems the leading cause at the moment. i have followed some of the other threads, but not recently. since there's been no new post stating a tivo patch or update to fix this, i am just really venting and hoping there was someone who could at least answer what i've been unable to figure out which is why this is happening, and if there's anything i can do. my other tivo hd has never frozen, so i wanted to make sure i stated the problem was with a expander connected.

Premier 4
Old 06-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
RonDawg

There is a known issue with the eSATA cable that is included with the WD My DVR Expander in that sometimes it does not fit properly. Improperly seated eSATA connections are known to cause spontaneous reboots, so you may want to first check that these connections are tight.

If you have another eSATA cable, you can try that to see if indeed it is a defective cable issue.

If these suggestions don't work, unfortunately the only way you'll know if the problems are really related to the My DVR Expander is to disconnect it and "divorce" it from the host TiVo, which means any recordings made since it was added will be forever lost.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
WO312

I have a Tivo HD with an external HD, like you, and I had the same problems you had. What fixed it for me: I unplugged the unit from power. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour unpowered. I disconnected the coaxial cable and ethernet cables, so it wouldn't get any inputs. I powered it up and let it boot entirely up. I got some message but I don't remember what it was anymore. After I viewed a program that was previously giving me problems, I powered down and reattached the cables. After booting up I haven't had any more issues for about a month. Knock on wood.

YMMV.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
I have a Tivo HD with an external HD, like you, and I had the same problems you had. What fixed it for me: I unplugged the unit from power. I let it sit for about 1/2 hour unpowered. I disconnected the coaxial cable and ethernet cables, so it wouldn't get any inputs. I powered it up and let it boot entirely up. I got some message but I don't remember what it was anymore. After I viewed a program that was previously giving me problems, I powered down and reattached the cables. After booting up I haven't had any more issues for about a month. Knock on wood.

YMMV.
just curious, has your tivo been working ok since you unplugged the expandedr?

Premier 4
Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
MANOWARę
um, yeah.

I put a laptop cooler fan powered from the USB under my WD expander and haven't had an issue since. It's been over a month for sure. Without it the heat coming off of the WD is ridiculous. With the fan on, it's about room temp all the time, even during 2 channel recording.
MANOWARę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
dubluv
tivo lover

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOWARę View Post
I put a laptop cooler fan powered from the USB under my WD expander and haven't had an issue since. It's been over a month for sure. Without it the heat coming off of the WD is ridiculous. With the fan on, it's about room temp all the time, even during 2 channel recording.
manowar, now that's what i call a great idea! btw, when divorcing an expander from the tivo, you'll lose all recorded material, not just what was recorded since the expander was connected. i can verify this ;-(
anyway, with that great tip from you, i'm going to order a laptop cooler and reattach the expander. its funny, wouldn't you think tivo's engineers would have encountered some of these heat issues before signing off on the expander?
thanx so much for the tip, hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for you.

Premier 4
Old 07-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
dwit

Quote:
manowar, now that's what i call a great idea! btw, when divorcing an expander from the tivo, you'll lose all recorded material, not just what was recorded since the expander was connected. i can verify this ;-(
anyway, with that great tip from you, i'm going to order a laptop cooler and reattach the expander. its funny, wouldn't you think tivo's engineers would have encountered some of these heat issues before signing off on the expander?
thanx so much for the tip, hopefully it will work as well for me as it did for you.
"...when divorcing an expander from the tivo, you'll lose all recorded material, not just what was recorded since the expander was connected. i can verify this..."

When the units are functioning properly, and the divorce is done properly, only the recordings made since the marriage are lost. Many can confirm this.
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
. its funny, wouldn't you think tivo's engineers would have encountered some of these heat issues before signing off on the expander?
perhaps it is just some expanders, just like it is some TiVo HDs that have a problem.

I have a TiVo HD with a myDVR expander, no cable cards but regular cable and OTA antenna. No lockups, no overheat on the MyDVR.

If you lost all programs then I submit that your MyDVR expander did not setup correctly and must not have been working right from the get go.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
perhaps it is just some expanders, just like it is some TiVo HDs that have a problem.

I have a TiVo HD with a myDVR expander, no cable cards but regular cable and OTA antenna. No lockups, no overheat on the MyDVR.

If you lost all programs then I submit that your MyDVR expander did not setup correctly and must not have been working right from the get go.
i suppose it could be just some expanders, and some tivoHD's, but since tivo themselves told me to divorce my expander and see if that would fix the problem, i guess i'm not the only one having this problem that they know about. and they did acknowledge that the non expander freezing issue is another problem as yet unresolved. as for the expander setup, i can only say i followed the instructions and it has worked for over 6 months without issue until recently. manowar's suggestion about using a laptop cooler is very ingenious, and i plan on trying it.

Premier 4