TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
bassque

Emergency alert message

Ok I have a bit of a rant on this. But in reading the FAQ's (here, I found out that this cannot be turned off????? People...I live in Vegas and of course most of my messages are not weather related. But we seem to get every amber alert from most counties around us of course but also counties about 2 hours away from us in Barstow and Bakersfield CA. I REALLY don't want to be an ass and of course the amber alerts are important my god. When I'm paying for a service, I really don't want to be interrupted 3 or 4 times while I'm trying to watch a program which I recorded about an Amber alert. I don't get many chances to watch my Tivo system and would like to "disconnect" when I do watch my shows.

So anyway, I'll get off my soap box but who do we need to talk to about making this feature optional? I'd like to revert to my old software revision until this is optional so I don't keep getting slammed with emergency alerts every 15 minutes while I'm watching shows. Is there a way I can do that...oh hey look...while I was writing this here is another one. San Bernardino California. 3 hours away! This just smells of congress. Was this a law that was passed?
bassque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
jjberger2134

Check out this thread for a lengthly discussion on the topic....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=394269
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
bassque

Thanks for that. It defiantly shows both sides of the argument there. But the question I guess is, is this a government issue that we need to lobby our congress/senate to make optional or is this something we can mobilize on Tivo/Cable Companies to make it optional and not a requirement.
bassque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Elzocone

Maybe it wouldn't be so inconvient if it allowed you to pause live TV until the alert is over. Or if it didn't stop playback of recorded video to show live TV, instead playing the alert over the top of recording playback (and also allowing for pausing).

I really don't like how it turns off current playback to instead play live TV (and also doesn't allow for the changing of channels) while the alert is active.
Elzocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
Millionaire2K

I watch TV a lot. I had Tivo for 2 months now and still have not seen the eas kick in. Now my comcast box downstairs kicks to eas about 1 a week but never my tivo. I have 1 ms cc with every ch.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
If your TiVo and your Comcast box are both hooked into a Comcast cable feed, they should both be displaying the same thing on the same channels.

If they're not, something's wrong.

I get EAS interruptions, and I don't even have a cable box.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Millionaire2K

Im not saying nothing to comcast! My tivo still has never been hit with a EAS and I want it to stay that way. Last night I got another EAS on the comcast box, buy my Tivo was chugging along with no EAS. Also ALL the paid ch's are working great so I don't need them messing up my cc if I call! lol.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
erick0305

I would to. The message is quite annoying. At least it doesn't show in a recording.
erick0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
ramiss

The "lengthy" thread referenced in post #2 is closed. I read the entire thread and, considering there are 6 pages, nobody suggested the obvious answer....

I am fine if TIVO displays important alert messages. Just return me to where I was automatically. It is even worse if my daughter is watching Netflix and a Weather alert comes on about "rain in Vegas" (oh the humanity). Do you know how many buttons need to be pressed to get back to the Netflix program every 5 minutes that the Alert comes on?

Come on TIVO... Get to the top of the tech game again and either:

1) Return us to what we are watching, or...

2) Do what every other DVR does and display the alert over what we are currently watching regardless of what channel it originates on. Ever heard of an "overlay"? (probably not, its too technical)

Richard
ramiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
sharkster

Those damnable EAS alerts are so infuriating. We get them all the time and I have been told that you cannot opt out of it.

I don't know about everywhere, but here - even if you are watching something recorded it tosses you out. Changes channel to CSPAN and then comes the big black screen with the write writing, the screaming freaking EEEEEE OOOOOOOO sounds before they proceed to tell you it might rain 200 miles from here. argh!!!

Then, of course, as mentioned, you are left on live tv and cannot even back into your show. You have to hit Tivo and proceed like you are going to your shows for the first time. At least it does change the channel back to what it was on before it started.

Sometimes they are every few minutes if there is a cloud in the sky. The ones called 'required weekly - whatever' often come 4-5 times in a week. I don't know about you, but 'weekly' to me doesn't mean 4-5 times a week. It means ONCE.

Geez, if they are compulsory, why can't they just do a little runner at the bottom of a screen and the bigger question for me (if this HAS to happen incessantly) - why does it even take you out of a recorded program? I can see it showing up if you are watching live tv.

Oh, and while I'm bitchin', don't you just love when it happens right at the last minute of a show (if you are watching something live) so that you miss the ending? Yeah, now I have to find another recording to find out who did it - or whatever.

Erick - For me (we have Charter), it shows up on a recording. If it happens while you are recording, it cuts into the show and you just lose those minutes.

Ok, end of rant.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
worachj

In my area (Comcast) the alert switches to a local government channel with no information on what the alerts about, and usually locks the TiVo for 5-10 minutes. It prevents me from actually using my TV to get information about the alert.

During weather alerts I want to switch to a station with radar maps and canít because the TiVo is locked on the local government channel. So Iím blinded without any information of the upcoming bad weather.

Instead of notifying, it makes the TV unusable. Just plain stupid and not whatís intended.