TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
snotblower

Tivo suggestions: just trickling in

Tivo suggestions has started acting oddly for me...

Normally, it would keep the disk at near 100% full. Now... it doesn't. It does record 2-3 shows a day. But not many. There are clearly lots of thumbs up shows that have not played recently that it can record.

Just as an example... see the attachment. (I can be a little bit of a graphing nut...) I graph several things on tivo stats. If you look at the graph you'll see where in February I tossed all the tivo suggestions. (I replaced a failing hard drive). The suggestions refilled over about a month. If you look at somewhere around June, suggestions suddenly slow down. There is lots of free, unused space and they don't record.

This slow down coincides with me adding cable. I previously was only recording off of an antenna with about 6 channels. Now I have cable and antenna and a ton of channels... but just a trickle on the suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suggest.jpg (29.2 KB, 11 views)
snotblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Suggestions never go into the measure of how full a disc is, so your comment on 100% (assuming you are using the measure on the tivo "home" page) is a misnomer.

Are your deleted items empty- that is a measure of a full drive.

How about some facts. Model, service provider, disc size, use of KUID, ect.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
evanborkow

Tuning Adapter?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
snotblower

I had an unrelated issue I thought was just an annoyance.... it turns out: this was the issue:

After a lineup change on the cable provider side, I was getting multiple instances of several channels. Sometimes they were even the same: same channel number, same program, etc. If you deleted one... you deleted both.

I had repeated the initial setup 4 times to try to get rid of it... and just gave up. Several weeks later, I ran the setup again and ... the duplicates went away... and suggestions started working.

As to "Suggestions never go into the measure of how full a disc is..." ... I've got years of graph data that would go to disprove that statement. When suggestions work as expected "in progress" + "normal recording" + "expires soon" + "expired recording" + "save until I delete" + "suggestion" makes a flat line graph that is approximately the size of the disk. (i.e. It is the size of the disk minus the boot partitions and file system overhead). The whole point of suggestions is to fully utilize the disk.

See attached graph for just the last year. You can see where I replaced the disk... and where the channel lineup changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg userspace.jpg (37.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by snotblower : 09-03-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: attach graph
snotblower is offline   Reply With Quote