TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #121
spongex

hi guys.

so i've given it a couple days since i tried the reboot trick and it seems to be working. i used to get something like 10-12 tivo suggestions a day, but i'm only get like 5-6 a day now. i think i may need to thumbs up some more shows and it should fix it.

so what i did was i turned off suggestions, cleared all thumbs (i don't remember the exact wording of the choice i made), rebooted, turned on suggestions, rebooted. and then thumbed up some shows. then i waited and waited and the suggestions started to pop up. i'll give it a few more days and report back in.

jason.
spongex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #122
denature

Have Blank Suggestions Menu and Not Recording Suggestions. S1. Can get some suggestions to appear on menu by liberally applying thumbs. Then they soon disappear.
denature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #123
wkparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
@wkparker - good to hear... another non-S1 is cured with a reboot... did you do the reboot trick (sugg off/reboot/sugg on/reboot) or just a plain reboot?
Just a standard restart seems to have done the trick. I had planned to try again (turning suggestions off first) if that hadn't worked.

- Kerry
wkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #124
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by denature View Post
Have Blank Suggestions Menu and Not Recording Suggestions. S1. Can get some suggestions to appear on menu by liberally applying thumbs. Then they soon disappear.
Is this an S1 US Tivo unit as the symptoms sound the same as the ones we are experiencing here in the UK where Tivo have announced that they have now discontinued supporting the Suggestions service with effect from early September 2008.

Tivo deny that this will happen on US Series 1 units as they say the Suggestions system works differently on those units and the data is supplied differently but if that is the case why do US Series 1 units appear to be exhibiting identical symptoms with the loss of Suggestions except where new thumbs are applied to programs and there is then a one off new Suggestions recording on just that day related to those thumbs. The thumbs data is then lost for further Suggestions recording in the next daily download............
Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #125
denature

Quote:
Is this an S1 US Tivo unit as the symptoms sound the same as the ones we are experiencing here in the UK
Definitely U.S. Fairly vintage 30 hour Philips model.
denature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 AM   #126
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

Quote:
The problem is that it will not record suggestions at all, and (coincidentally or not) it will also show no Suggestions in the menu-pick. Only when we fiddle with the thumbs (ie, if you have JUST thumb-uped something) will the list populate with one or two items, and you may get an item to record at that time too... but once that show has gone by, the list goes empty, and the suggestions stop recording. In other words, we are NOT "still recording Suggestions" as you stated above...
This matches my symptoms exactly. No Suggestions being recorded and nothing in the Suggestions list.

Note that this started happening right around the middle of August for a lot of people.
F. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:02 AM   #127
perplexed

Tivo HD activated on/before ~9/22. Tivo Suggestions turned ON. I have 20 "old" Tivo Suggestions recordings in Now Playing... ranging from 9/23 to 9/30. I have not seen any new Tivo Suggestions since then.

My Tivo doesn't have many season pass / one off shows in Now Playing waiting to be played/deleted, so I'm sure I'm not even close to the capacity of the drive.

There are no shows listed in the Tivo Suggestions settings screen... just some text telling me about the feature, and pressing ENTER to view my current thumbs up/down... and I have a number of shows with thumbs up/down configured.

Troubling...
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #128
schwinn

@ Ken-6809er and @perplexed: Perform the "reboot trick"... as this has cured may non-S1 units of this problem

@spongex: Any news on your S2? Did the reboot trick/cleared-thumbs fix your problem, as we expect it to?

@TivoPony (or any other Tivo rep): How many TSNs have you received so far? Any news/progress on the matter (has anyone been actively looking at the code here, and/or do they have an idea of what might be causing this problem for us?)

The list so far... BSM = Blank Suggestions Menu; NRS = Not Recording Suggestions (except right after thumb-upping)

Not working:
the928guy: large-drive S1
FJones: virgin S1 [BSM+NRS]
schwinn: S1-hacked [BSM+NRS]
Illusion: large-drive S1 [BSM+NRS]
Illusion's neighbor: S1, monthly contract [BSM]
a68oliver: S1
ronsch: S1-hacked
Swisher: virgin S1
cgf: S1-hacked
nmiller855: virgin S1
ChevyRon: S1-hacked
ptimkey: S1
fuzzyfox: Two S1s (looking into the third S1)
spongex: S2 (Canada) reboot-trick
Eldan: S1
Ken-6809er: HD - BSM (doesn't use auto-record)
sc293: S1-hacked [BSM+NRS]
denature: S1 [BSM+NRS]
perplexed: HD - recommend trying reboot trick [NRS]
Working:
BanditWS6: TivoHD, reboot trick working since 9/13
pandabreath: S2, Full Reset worked
Bort13: S2 (reboot trick appears to be working)
SJAndrew: S2-hacked (reboot trick appears to be working)
wkparker: TivoHD (fixed with restart (not reboot-trick))
WORKING S1s: (None reported yet)
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #129
Eldan

schwinn, I am S1, BSM, NRS. Also, clearing the thumb history and rating about a dozen shows has not cured the problem.

Obviously, I'm eagerly awaiting a response here from Tivo.
Eldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #130
kingkong316

I am Dying here. My Tivo HD isn't recording suggestions either. I tried turning them off restarting turning them on restarting and doing a connect. It recorded 1 show and no others are in my to do list.

I guess I will try this one more time. And try clearing my thumbs as well.

Here goes nothing
kingkong316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #131
schwinn

@kingkong316: I believe the exact sequence is suggestions off, then reboot, then suggestions on, then reboot... did you do that sequence, or just off/on/reboot? Try the official sequence and see if that works... you shouldn't need to clear thumbs data.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #132
a68oliver

schwinn, I am virgin Sony S1, BSM, NRS.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #133
spongex

hi schwinn.

my s2 seems to be working now. i have something like 42 tivo suggestions waiting to be watched. so the reboot trick seems to have done the job. thanks to all the people here for helping me through this ordeal. i hope you s1 users get a fix soon.

spongex.

Quote:
@ Ken-6809er and @perplexed: Perform the "reboot trick"... as this has cured may non-S1 units of this problem

@spongex: Any news on your S2? Did the reboot trick/cleared-thumbs fix your problem, as we expect it to?

@TivoPony (or any other Tivo rep): How many TSNs have you received so far? Any news/progress on the matter (has anyone been actively looking at the code here, and/or do they have an idea of what might be causing this problem for us?)

The list so far... BSM = Blank Suggestions Menu; NRS = Not Recording Suggestions (except right after thumb-upping)

Not working:
the928guy: large-drive S1
FJones: virgin S1 [BSM+NRS]
schwinn: S1-hacked [BSM+NRS]
Illusion: large-drive S1 [BSM+NRS]
Illusion's neighbor: S1, monthly contract [BSM]
a68oliver: S1
ronsch: S1-hacked
Swisher: virgin S1
cgf: S1-hacked
nmiller855: virgin S1
ChevyRon: S1-hacked
ptimkey: S1
fuzzyfox: Two S1s (looking into the third S1)
spongex: S2 (Canada) reboot-trick
Eldan: S1
Ken-6809er: HD - BSM (doesn't use auto-record)
sc293: S1-hacked [BSM+NRS]
denature: S1 [BSM+NRS]
perplexed: HD - recommend trying reboot trick [NRS]
Working:
BanditWS6: TivoHD, reboot trick working since 9/13
pandabreath: S2, Full Reset worked
Bort13: S2 (reboot trick appears to be working)
SJAndrew: S2-hacked (reboot trick appears to be working)
wkparker: TivoHD (fixed with restart (not reboot-trick))
WORKING S1s: (None reported yet)

spongex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #134
the928guy
I have toh

I had a suggestion show up today! Yes, just one, and it's for a show that I've recorded before, but it's an improvement over the "if your TiVo is new" screen. I also had an unrelated movie recorded (of a type that I have no interest in), which is the first unscheduled recording I've gotten in a couple of weeks. I haven't done anything in the interim, i.e., no new thumb ratings, no resets, etc.

I guess this is progress ....
the928guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:38 AM   #135
schwinn

@TivoPony (or any other Tivo rep):
  • How many TSNs have you received so far?
  • Has this issue been acknowledged by Tivo as a real problem yet?
  • Any news/progress on the matter (has anyone been actively looking at the code here, and/or do they have an idea of what might be causing this problem for us?)
  • Does the above post by the928guy imply that some fix is being pushed out?

I didn't notice any new Suggestions last night, but I will admit I have gotten tired of being disappointed when I looked in the past.

Last edited by schwinn : 10-09-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #136
the928guy
I have toh

Quote:
  • Does the above post by the928guy imply that some fix is being pushed out?
Oh ... never mind. I'm back to no suggestions / nothing recorded. This was just another bit of randomness, I guess.
the928guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #137
kingkong316

Quote:
@kingkong316: I believe the exact sequence is suggestions off, then reboot, then suggestions on, then reboot... did you do that sequence, or just off/on/reboot? Try the official sequence and see if that works... you shouldn't need to clear thumbs data.
I did that. The first time I only got 1 suggestion the next day. So I did it again this time clearing the thumbs after I turned the suggestions off and it is working again.

However it took two days for it to get back to normal and I suspect if I had wait two days the first time I would have been fine. And I wouldn't have to put all my thumbs back in.
kingkong316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 AM   #138
charleswenzel

Series 1 problem, too

I have a series 1 with the identical problem and a series 2 that works. I have the lifetime subscription on both. Over the years I've modify my series 1 by installing a new drive then another drive for more space and a network card since we no longer have a phone line. All that has been working fine for some time. Mine seemed to stop selecting shows late August. I have tried all the simple suggestions and I will get a suggestion or two the first day but that's it. This has to be at the TiVo end since we all had the problem develop at the same time. Oddly, when it started, my TiVo also switched to "fast" on the IR remote and my satellite receiver couldn't keep up. That had me puzzled for a while. Setting the speed back down fixed that but I thought my TiVo had some sort of stroke!

Please fix this TiVo. We early adopters deserve it!

My series 2 is nowhere as imaginative as my series 1 was. When I heard about some new, interesting show, I could feel confident that my series 1 would grab it without fail. Series 2, not so much.
charleswenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #139
schwinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the928guy View Post
Oh ... never mind. I'm back to no suggestions / nothing recorded. This was just another bit of randomness, I guess.
Not surprising...

I checked my S1 last night - no new suggestions recorded, and still nothing on the suggestions menu...

(FYI, I haven't stopped updating the list... I just didn't think I needed to update it more than once a "page"... I'll update it when we get to the next page, of course...)

EDIT: I imagine that we're getting little/no response from Tivo because their programmers are busy working on the next interface for the S3/HDs: http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/10...ivo-hd-softwa/

I guess being a loyal, long-time customer doesn't mean much these days.

Last edited by schwinn : 10-10-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:27 PM   #140
Eldan

I've about had it with Tivo. I called their support, explained the problem at length, told them about all the people on this forum and Tivo's own forum that are reporting this problem, and they still fobbed me off on Sony. I called Sony, explained the problem at length, told them about this forum and Tivo's forum, and the best they could come up with is to send the unit in for "service."

Sony had me redo the guided setup. After I did that, added more thumbs, and made a daily call, I got a big list of suggestions. Most were movies I'd thumbed. There were one or two suggestions with no previous rating. Over the next two days just two of the previously rated shows were recorded and no unrated suggestions were recorded. Also over the two days no new suggestions have been generated and the list is quickly getting shortened to nothing.

Why should I pay $13 a month for no suggestions when I can pay $10 to my cable company for the same thing? I had planned to buy a new Tivo next year when I get an HD set but forget it now. Not with this kind of service. How about a quick note from Tivo admitting something is broken and asking for patience while they fix it? That would go a long way with me.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #141
badcrc
Thread Killer

I noticed one of my tivos wasn't recording any suggestions about 1.5 months ago after I deleted all the suggestions in an attempt to get a fresh batch. I didn't really mess with it until now, because I figured it was just a glitch. I tried adding a bunch of thumb ratings to no avail, then I searched and found this thread. I just tried the disable suggestions/reboot/enable/reboot fix but it doesn't seem to have changed the situation yet. My suggestions list still shows the "If your recorder is new..." garbage. Generally I only look at the suggestions every couple weeks when I don't want to watch any of my regular shows, but they're still nice to have around. This is really annoying.

Edit: All three of my tivos have stopped recording suggestions. I did the disable/enable suggestions fix on two of them and it didn't do anything. This sure looks like tivo has done something to stop suggestions, I don't think it's some bug or accident we can fix ourselves.

Last edited by badcrc : 10-12-2008 at 11:25 PM.
badcrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #142
nmiller855

Mine recorded 2 suggestions on 10/6 & 2 more on 10/11 but has the "If your TiVo is new" message instead of any listed suggestions.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #143
eblues

You can add me to the list of people who are not getting suggestions recorded and has a blank suggestions screen.

I've been following the thread for about a week hoping some silver bullet would show up to fix the problem, but I see it has not, so I just PMed TiVoPony my TSN.

I have a hacked S1 (2nd drive, TurboNet, TivoWeb+) with lifetime service. It stopped its regular recording of suggestions on 8/21 or 8/22 and since that time has sporadically recorded a total 4 episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus.
eblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #144
Eldan

A user on the tivo.com forum claims that he was told by Tivo Support that suggestions will no longer be supported on his S1 Phillips.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #145
badcrc
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
A user on the tivo.com forum claims that he was told by Tivo Support that suggestions will no longer be supported on his S1 Phillips.
Is that UK or US tivo? I read a message about that too but it was for S1 in the UK only. BTW, all 3 of my tivos stopped recording suggestions on 9/14 and haven't recorded one since.

I'm a little confused what tivo has to "support" for the S1 to generate suggestions. All the data needed for suggestions are included in the guide data download. This seems to me like a strong-arm tactic to get S1 users to upgrade. If tivo wants me to upgrade they need to come up with an offer better than making me pay for lifetime all over again.

Last edited by badcrc : 10-15-2008 at 02:14 AM.
badcrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #146
schwinn

@Tivo representatives on this site:

PLEASE tell us something. We are waiting as patiently as we can, but it's very hard to believe anything is being done on this matter, if we don't hear from you. As you can see, people are starting to get anxious, and the rumor mill will start to churn out information that may or may not be true. It is in your best interest that we "remain calm" with real, accurate information about where we are headed with this matter.

Please, let us know what's happening, before things get out of hand.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #147
Eldan

badcrc, I am assuming that was a US Tivo user because the post referred to 3.0 and all the UK Tivo users were stuck on 2.5.

I don't doubt the poster but it's very possible that what the support rep told him was incorrect.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #148
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Tivo representatives on this site:

PLEASE tell us something. We are waiting as patiently as we can, but it's very hard to believe anything is being done on this matter, if we don't hear from you. As you can see, people are starting to get anxious, and the rumor mill will start to churn out information that may or may not be true. It is in your best interest that we "remain calm" with real, accurate information about where we are headed with this matter.

Please, let us know what's happening, before things get out of hand.
There's nothing new to tell. We've had about a dozen reports of this (via the forums) for Series1 systems. We have Series1 systems internally here which continue to record suggestions. We have seen the blank Suggestions screen issue here. I've taken the dozen or so TSN's and passed them along to the engineering team. When there's more that I can share I'll pass it along.

Pony
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #149
Eldan

Pony, just to be clear, you have reproduced the problem on at least one unit there, and you also have units working properly. Yes?

Also, perhaps you could distribute some info to the phone support people, so they can say, "we're aware of the issue and working on it," instead of sending people to Sony (like they did to me, so I know you've had at least one report by phone) or Phillips, or telling them suggestions are gone for good.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #150
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Also, perhaps you could distribute some info to the phone support people, so they can say, "we're aware of the issue and working on it," instead of sending people to Sony (like they did to me, so I know you've had at least one report by phone) or Phillips, or telling them suggestions are gone for good.
Absolutely. A little customer support goes a long way.

A response such as "There's nothing new to tell." followed by the fact that you've "passed along information" doesn't address the root questions, which are "Do you know what's causing the problem?" and, more importantly, "Are you planning to fix it?".

Are there circumstances under which you will decide to not fix it? If so, let us know, so we can start looking for other DVRs.

If I drop my car off at the mechanic and every day he simply says "there's nothing new to tell" and "oh yeah, the brakes definitely still don't work", but won't tell me if he knows how to fix or is in fact ever planning on fixing the car, I'm going to take my business elsewhere.

I don't want to attack the messenger here, and I realize you're volunteering your help, but TiVo needs to come up with an official response for the people who have been paying them money with the expectation of a return of basic service. They should absolutely stop lying to their customers by telling them it's someone else's problem.

TiVo isn't doing us a favor by fixing the problem, we're doing TiVo the favor, by continuing to give them free money in return for a service which is not being provided. TiVo's attitude should reflect this.
F. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote