Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #91
the928guy
I have toh

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
My S1 was recording multiple suggestions every day. The last day of "normal" activity was 8/22. Since then, it has only intermittantly recorded suggestions as I have fussed with it. They were recorded on 9/7, 9/16, 9/19, and 9/24. In several cases these were repeat broadcasts of movies I had previously rated a very long time ago. These were not broadcasts of programs that I had recently changed the ratings of as I experimented with it.
That's an interesting data point. I checked mine, and it shows similar behavior -- the last normal suggestion activity was 8/22, then just random occasional recordings since then. I don't see how the TiVo folks could possibly suggest that the problem lies with anyone other than themselves.
the928guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #92
spongex

Hey guys

I’m new to the community. Just joined today. I am experiencing the same problem as everybody else in this thread. my tivo suggestions stopped working on 08/29. i thought it was because i had a tonne of Olympics stuff on the TiVo.

I’ve since cleared all that off my TiVo and the suggestions are still not back. When i get home tonight, I’m going to try the off/reboot/on/reboot fix. i hope it works. I’ll report back in later tonight.

I have a series2. One year pre-paid subscription. I’m in Canada. (Am I the only Canuck experiencing this?)
spongex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #93
Illusion

I would be curious if anyone with a S1 is not experiencing this issue.
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #94
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
I would be curious if anyone with a S1 is not experiencing this issue.
I gave one of my old S1s to a friend of mine. He recently moved and I helped him hook it all back up last Saturday. I was curious about his Suggestions as well.

Since we just turned it back on and re-ran guided setup, there were no suggestions in the suggestions list. However, as I looked at his NPL, there were a couple of suggestions recorded almost up to the date he disconnected the box. His box is nearly full so there was not a lot of room for suggestions.

I will email him and see if it has resumed recording suggestions. My remaining S1 still is not recording suggestions.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #95
Nero2

A semi-formal reply from Tivo Inc:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=406543

In the UK in would appear that suggestions will not/never work again.

I do hope that you chaps on the other side of the pond get better support than we did.

Thanks

Nero
Nero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #96
cgf

Better support seems unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero2 View Post
A semi-formal reply from Tivo Inc:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=406543

In the UK in would appear that suggestions will not/never work again.

I do hope that you chaps on the other side of the pond get better support than we did.
What a disappointing "resolution" to this problem.

I suspect that we will see nothing better than this but I'm wondering
if those of us with lifetime service don't have some recourse here.
It seems like tivo changed the deal for us if they are not providing
the functionality that we signed up for.
cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #97
Illusion

Nero2,

Thanks for coming over to this forum to let us know what is up. Really disappointing news. I actually feel sick to my stomach. Terrible, just terrible. I loved my Tivo Suggestions.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #98
Nero2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
Nero2,

Thanks for coming over to this forum to let us know what is up. Really disappointing news. I actually feel sick to my stomach. Terrible, just terrible. I loved my Tivo Suggestions.
Don't thank me, just light a candle for our lost functionality.

Thanks
Nero2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #99
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

We're investigating the reports here in the US of missing Suggestions. The situation is not the same nor as absolute as what we've found in the UK. Here in the US it appears to be a very small number of random customers are having an issue, in the UK there is a specific implementation in the version 2.5 software which prevents Suggestions from being available at all for any UK Series1 customer. There does not appear to be anything directly linking these two situations (other than guesswork posted here on the forum).

Our apologies to those of you having troubles here.

Thanks,
Pony
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #100
Illusion

TiVoPony,

Thank you for taking the time to post here.

I would like to reiterate my call for a single credible poster to come forward with an S1 that is NOT having this issue here in the US.

I do not think that this is as random and small numbered as you may think. I find the failure of both my S1 and my neighbor's S1 to be too coincidental. While I only have 2 units to look at, we have a 100% failure rate with that small sample size.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #101
fuzzyfox

Adding to the list...

I have three Gen 1 (lifetime) TiVos in service. I know that two have the suggestions problem. I will ask my sibling if the third is working or not.

Not that this observation advances the discussion any.

Doom.
fuzzyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #102
wkparker

I'll add my name to the list - my TivoHD stopped recording suggestions a couple of weeks ago. The behavior seems to be mutating, as now I can't delete any of my old Season Passes. I'll try a restart tonight and see if that helps. Sad that my 4+ year old Series 2 has been completely bulletproof, but my HD is on its third set of problems.

- Kerry

Last edited by wkparker : 09-30-2008 at 01:57 PM.
wkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #103
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
The situation is not the same nor as absolute as what we've found in the UK. Here in the US it appears to be a very small number of random customers are having an issue, in the UK there is a specific implementation in the version 2.5 software which prevents Suggestions from being available at all for any UK Series1 customer.
Bob,

As a UK Series 1 Tivo owner I was interested to read your comment here on the US side of the forum that it is the specific implementation of the UK's Series 1 Thomson Tivo 2.5.5 version software that is preventing Suggestions from working here as of two to three weeks ago and that you do not feel this will affect the recording of Suggestion on US Series 1 units running version 3.x.x software either at all or at least not permanently.

If that is so and there is another valid software version for Series 1 units that does not suffer from Suggestions being rendered inoperative by the recent change in the format of TMSIDs at the series level then can you explain why a version of that 3.x.x. software cannot be appropriately modified to be compatible with our UK Series 1 models and that software version then rolled out to those machines? It seems clear after all there is nothing in the hardware of UK machines versus US machines that should make the US S1 models unable to have their software modified to allow Suggestions to continue while the US machines can still carry on with recording Suggestions.

I think it is actually much more likely that Tribune's change in TMSID format for Series has broken the operation of Suggestions on all Series 1 machines but that as the typical US Series 1 owner may perhaps be seen as confining themselves to an older and out of date Tivo model (features wise) by choice (whereas here in the UK the Series 1 is Tivo's most current offering) and have the option to an upgrade to an S3 machine if they want to they may perhaps be less inclined to complain about this withdrawal of a key part of the Tivo service (notice how large those Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down buttons on the Tivo remote are) than members of the UK Tivo user base.

Either way I don't think Tivo Inc's current position that the Suggestions function can just be allowed to permanently fail on the UK Series 1 Tivo machines is acceptable and I am sure that if Mike Ramsay was still one of your Board members he would be horrified to hear of this cynical new approach by Tivo's current management.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #104
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete77 View Post
I think it is actually much more likely that Tribune's change in TMSID format for Series has broken the operation of Suggestions on all Series 1 machines
Pete,

The flaw with that logic is that here in the US the change in TMSID format took place last year. The UK issue happened concurrent to the TMSID format change in the UK...down to the day. This, combined with the fact that not all Series1 US systems are effected (but all UK systems are) gives us a good indication that we're not dealing with the same issue.

Pony
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #105
cgf

Quote:
Pete,
This, combined with the fact that not all Series1 US systems are effected (but all UK systems are) gives us a good indication that we're not dealing with the same issue.
You may have more data than we do about this but I don't think we've yet to see a single person in this thread who claimed that suggestions on their Series 1 were still working.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #106
Pete77

Quote:
Pete,

The flaw with that logic is that here in the US the change in TMSID format took place last year. The UK issue happened concurrent to the TMSID format change in the UK...down to the day. This, combined with the fact that not all Series1 US systems are effected (but all UK systems are) gives us a good indication that we're not dealing with the same issue.
Then it may be that in the US the Series 1 user base is currently experiencing the problems we had for the last year or so before Suggestions stopped working completely for all UK S1 users a couple of weeks ago (when the data format from TMS changed) of some users complaining that their units were not currently providing Suggestions or at least enough Suggestions, even though many other users did still have Suggestions available to them.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #107
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
You may have more data than we do about this but I don't think we've yet to see a single person in this thread who claimed that suggestions on their Series 1 were still working.
I do have more data, that's my job.

What seems common so far, and may be worth differentiating here on the forum...the boxes we've investigated are not generating lists of Suggestions to populate the Suggestions screen in the UI. But they're still recording Suggestions.

I wonder whether that may be the circumstance with some of the reports here? It would be a helpful piece of information to have (see, I don't have *every* bit of data).

Appreciate the assist as we investigate.

Pony
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #108
cgf

Quote:
I do have more data, that's my job.
Ok, so you were tangentially submitting facts not yet in evidence. If you really want our help maybe you could share some of the statistics . How many Series1 systems are still operating normally compared to the number with problems? Is there a geographic component? System age? OS level?

Quote:
What seems common so far, and may be worth differentiating here on the forum...the boxes we've investigated are not generating lists of Suggestions to populate the Suggestions screen in the UI. But they're still recording Suggestions.

I wonder whether that may be the circumstance with some of the reports here? It would be a helpful piece of information to have (see, I don't have *every* bit of data).

Appreciate the assist as we investigate.
In my case, I saw two suggestions scheduled/recorded in a two week period. Obviously I saw quite a few more before this problem manifested. The recording of suggestions seems to loosely correlate to when I modify thumb ratings.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #109
Pete77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
In my case, I saw two suggestions scheduled/recorded in a two week period. Obviously I saw quite a few more before this problem manifested. The recording of suggestions seems to loosely correlate to when I modify thumb ratings.
Then you appear to have precisely the same issue with Suggestions failing that we have here in the UK

That is that if people set new thumbs on a program or several programs then a Suggestion is recorded that day related to those thumbs but then the thumbs data is lost overnight when the new data comes in due to the disconnect with the TMSIDs for the series now being longer than the S1 Tivo database can cope with.

If that is not why many US users are now having problems with Suggestions failing on their S1 machines then I think it is for TivoPony and the rest of the Tivo support team to categorically prove that point to us and suggest why there is a fundamental difference between the architecture of the latest software versions issued for the UK and US Series 1 Tivo machines that affects the recording of Suggestions differently since TMS extended their series TMSID numbers.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #110
schwinn

@Pete77: Thanks for bringing that info to us!

@wkparker: It seems most S2/S3/HD users have succeeded with the reboot trick - I suggest you try that as well.

@TivoPony:
Quote:
That's not quite accurate, at least not in my case. The problem is that it will not record suggestions at all, and (coincidentally or not) it will also show no Suggestions in the menu-pick. Only when we fiddle with the thumbs (ie, if you have JUST thumb-uped something) will the list populate with one or two items, and you may get an item to record at that time too... but once that show has gone by, the list goes empty, and the suggestions stop recording. In other words, we are NOT "still recording Suggestions" as you stated above...
Quote:
I know ANY of us would be happy to detail more of the situation... can you tell us what kind of information you are looking for? I know I am more than willing to help in whatever way necessary (I can even provide telnet access if needed, or whatever...) I also have a spare (not currently plugged in) S1 that I can setup, if that helps in some way?

The list so far...

Not working:
the928guy: large-drive S1
FJones: virgin S1
schwinn: S1-hacked
Illusion: large-drive S1
Illusion's neighbor: S1, monthly contract
a68oliver: S1
ronsch: S1-hacked
Swisher: virgin S1
cgf: S1-hacked
nmiller855: virgin S1
ChevyRon: S1-hacked
ptimkey: S1
spongex: S2 (Canada) Going to try reboot-trick
fuzzyfox: Two S1s (looking into the third S1)
wkparker: TivoHD (also has other issues - trying restart)
Working:
BanditWS6: TivoHD, reboot trick working since 9/13
pandabreath: S2, Full Reset worked
Bort13: S2 (reboot trick appears to be working)
SJAndrew: S2-hacked (reboot trick appears to be working)
WORKING S1s: (None listed yet)
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #111
Illusion

TiVoPony,

My symptoms match schwinn's. The last successful TiVo suggestion that was recorded was 16 days ago, immediately following my second reset of all thumb ratings and restarting, and re-rating some shows. Left alone, the TiVo never recorded another suggestion, and the list is not populated with any suggestions that are being recommended by TiVo, and no suggestions are in fact recording.

My neighbor's S1 has had no mucking with any ratings, restarting, or any other kind of modifications, and it has no suggestions in the list either.

Last edited by Illusion : 10-01-2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #112
Eldan

I just joined up to track this thread. My Sony S1 running 3.0-01-1-010 is also not displaying or recording suggestions. The last one was 9/10. I tried the suggestons off->reboot->suggestions on->reboot technique yesterday, and a daily call was made overnight. So far nothing.

Also, for a few weeks before they stopped altogether it seemed the recorded suggestions were not really appropriate for my program rating history.
Eldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #113
Ken-6809er

I have a Tivo HD, and I have no shows at all listed under Tivo Suggestions. While I never auto-record the suggestions, I did occasionally refer to it to see if there was something I'd like to see. The suggestions that it did list went from multiple screens, to a couple of screens, to a couple of shows, to nothing at all now.
Ken-6809er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #114
sc293

Another first time poster here with this problem. My S1 was recording multiple suggestions every day up through 8/31. Once September started tivo stopped recording suggestions, and the "if your tivo is new" message shows up under Tivo suggestions. I found this thread a couple of weeks ago and tried the "turn off auto recording suggestions, reboot, turn on auto recording suggestions, reboot, force a daily call" trick and a few suggestions did show up under Tivo suggestions but they disappeared from there before being recorded. Since then nothing has shown up under Tivo suggestions whenever I check, but Tivo did automatically record 1 program every 3 - 4 days. Usually a movie that really didn't fit into any genre that matches my current thumbs up.

Last night (a couple of hours after the daily call) I manually searched for a couple of the programs that previously showed up under suggestions in the good old days and removed all the thumbs up, then added back a couple of thumbs up. After doing this for three programs, I did get three suggestions under tivo suggestions. Those suggestions were still there this morning, but nothing had been recorded yet (I don't think any of those programs had any showings yet). When I get home I'll check to see if anything has been recorded and if anything is still listed in tivo suggestions. The daily call is scheduled for this evening so I'll check to see what happens after the daily call takes place.

This is a Phillips (I don't remember the model # of the top of my head), it has a larger hard drive (two actually) and has been hacked. Also a life time subscription.
sc293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #115
TiVoPony

Ok, let's grab some more data points.

If you have Suggestions turned on but your box isn't recording Suggestions, drop me a private message with your TSN. Let me know in the private message what your situation is (when they stopped recording, confirm that you have Suggestions set to record as an option, is your Suggestions list blank, etc).

If you have Suggestions turned off but you're seeing a blank Suggestions list, don't send me your TSN yet. I need the people who have Suggestions turned on but aren't getting recordings first.

Thanks!
Pony
Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #116
wkparker

Update on my HD: A restart seems to have fixed the problem. Suggestions are recording again and I was able to delete an old season pass. All's well - for now...
wkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #117
schwinn

Just to simplify TivoPony's request, and to list the problem with more granularity, can everyone experiencing the problem please let me know if you are experiencing the "Blank Suggestions Menu" (BSM) problem AND/OR the "Not Recording Suggestions" (NRS) problem, so I can include that info on the list.

@wkparker - good to hear... another non-S1 is cured with a reboot... did you do the reboot trick (sugg off/reboot/sugg on/reboot) or just a plain reboot?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 AM   #118
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
Just to simplify TivoPony's request...
Schwinn, appreciate the assist, but I'd ask that people contact me via PM with the information I requested. I need information (like TSN's) that should not be shared publically.

(or were you referring to my earlier post? That makes sense too...still, PM me people).

Thanks,
Pony

Last edited by TiVoPony : 10-02-2008 at 09:24 AM. Reason: wondered which post was 'my request'
TiVoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #119
schwinn

Quote:
Schwinn, appreciate the assist, but I'd ask that people contact me via PM with the information I requested. I need information (like TSN's) that should not be shared publically.

(or were you referring to my earlier post? That makes sense too...still, PM me people).

Thanks,
Pony
Sorry - yes, I meant to have people PM you with their TSN (as you requested) AND also let me know of their specific symptoms for the list that I have been posting... just to keep that information documented for everyone.

I didn't want people to post their TSN, of course!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #120
Illusion

schwinn,

Illusion: BSM and NRS