TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #31
DevoDog

I'm having the same issue with my Series 1. It started about 2 weeks ago.

Of course, I don't get any software updates...so it can't be a software update that caused the issue.

I'm wondering if there's something that changed in the guide data.

PS. My suggestions list went from about 60 programs to two.
DevoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #32
pandabreath

My Suggestions have stopped for at least three weeks. I have plenty of room on the drive and plenty of ratings. UK forum has lots of complaint about this. Will attempt full delete and reboot.
pandabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 AM   #33
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

My Suggestions have also given out, also after a prolonged period of recording long-ish blocks from the Olympics. I tried the on/off reboot thing to no effect.

Are there still TiVo reps in the forum who can look into these kinds of problems?
F. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #34
schwinn

My Philips S1 Tivo is also not recording suggestions... last one was 8/27. It's not a software update issue, since this is an S1, of course.

There are plenty of shows that have thumbs up/down in there, yet if you go to the Pick Programs to Record menu, then Tivo Suggestions, the screen tells you that there are none to show, and that you need to put some thumbs up/down to see things start to populate that list. It also says that it will repop the list nightly... clearly it's not doing that?

I imagine others may find that the same Pick Programs/Suggestions menu screen will show the same result as I have seen? (Anyone care to confirm?)

I'll give the Off/reboot/On/reboot thing a try now... but I'm not holding much hope for that right now. And I hate the thought of having to erase everything and start from scratch again... I have over 50 Season Passes (some shows that aren't on right now, so I can't restore them until they come out again, and I may miss them without the pass) and tons of thumb-ratings...

Edit: Ran into this thread on OzTivo that seems to have an idea: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=626

Unfortunately, my machine is not showing a clock warp error. However, there are A PILE of "ProcessOneFromIterator got errDbNotFound" in the tvlog.log file, which is also very large on my machine. Lots of other weirdness in there, too... would this be a clue?

#2: Performed a telnet-ed MFSCheck, and it found nothing, though, as mentioned in the OzTivo thread, my machine locked up hard, too, while doing this. I then performed a kickstart-code MFS check, and it booted through after a short while with no problems reported. I'll continue to poke around and see if I can find anything informative.

#3: Checked the kernel log and found that the MFS check didn't find anything wrong. However, during one of the previous reboots (where I missed the remote-panic time) it did find a bunch of bad "deleted inodes xxxx has zero dtime" during a "/dev/hda9 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced."

Lastly, in the kernel log, I also noticed this message: "I-Node table size is 131072 entries for 100000 active nodes max"... seems odd to have a table size larger than the "max"? I have no idea what any of that means, but just reporting the oddities that I can find.

Last edited by schwinn : 09-05-2008 at 11:28 PM.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #35
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I have automatic recording of Suggestions turned off, but this thread prompted me to check my Suggestions list.

I have 32 suggestions on my TivoHD, and around 40 on my S2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #36
schwinn

I tried the off/reboot/on/reboot trick, and it didn't seem to work.

Last night, I turned off the suggestions, and rebooted. The Pick Programs/Suggestions screen is still not populating any items (there are still thumbs, etc, in the machine, of course). I have left it this way since late last night (~12 hours ago) and still nothing. I forced a daily call, and it still shows nothing in that menu. I'll let it sit this way overnight and see if it eventually comes back (not like it's recording suggestions anyway!)

Been digging around in the tivo, and not finding much of value - anyone know what this "suggestions" DB might be called or anything? Maybe it's corrupt... if I delete it, it may be rebuilt? For that matter, anyone know what command the "Reset Thumbs/Suggestions" item in the UI might be calling to perform this work? I may consider doing that through the UI, since, again, it's not like it's recording suggestions anyway!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #37
schwinn

Looks like the reboot trick didn't work, even after waiting a day off, and a day-on. Trying the "reset Thumbs/Suggestions"... let's see if that works...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #38
schwinn

Good news - resetting the Thumbs/Suggestions appears to have restored items to the Pick Programs/Suggestions window (after I put in a few new thumb-ratings, of course). Now we will see if it actually records them, as it should...

I didn't see anything helpful/meaningful in the tvlog when I did the reset... I wish I could have seen what DB it was that needed rebuilding. I have the tvlog saved, if anyone smarter than me is interested...

Incidentally, all my season passes and old recordings are still there, so it's a "good" reset in that it doesn't affect these items...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 AM   #39
Timber

Series 3.

I'm having the same problem. I cleared out 1/3 of the items in my Deleted folder by deleting the shows one by one, I restarted and I turned Suggestions off and on. I think its a little better but...

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #40
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

A couple days after doing the on/off reboot trick, I got a grand total of two suggestions, both of them romantic comedy movies. I don't mind the odd romcom, but they certainly aren't the sort of thing I'd expect my TiVo to come up with.

Is there any way to escalate this to get in touch with a TiVo tech rep so maybe we can actually get this fixed instead of flailing in the dark?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #41
schwinn

Looks like I was successful... Tivo recorded 2 suggestion-programs today.

I read somewhere that using 3-thumbs-down "too much" can cause problems for the algorithm. I don't know if that's real or not (I have had many 3-downs in the past, and it didn't cause a problem back then.) I imagine something corrupted the DB. I wish I could have troubleshot it deeper, but I can't seem to find any direct reference to the actual location of this DB, nor how to repair it. At least the clean function worked to restore my machine...

F.Jones - you may consider doing the reset suggestions I mentioned above. Or just give it some time? Do you see any items in the Pick Programs/Suggestions menu pick?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #42
the928guy
I have toh

We went through this before, about four years ago. If you're feeling nostalgic, click here for the archived thread.

It eventually self-healed, and no explanation was ever given that I am aware of.
the928guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #43
schwinn

So sad... looks like it's broken again. Noting is showing up in the Pick Programs/Suggestions window, and no new programs have recorded since those first 2. I'm willing to hear other opinions on how this might be fixed?

Edit: The thread referenced above says to contact TivoBill, but he is not accepting PMs or email, so that's out. Is there any other Tivo person that can look at this?

I tried calling Tivo tech support just now, but they are reporting a 20-minute wait to get someone... looks like I'll have to try again later.

Last edited by schwinn : 09-11-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #44
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

Hmmm...that old thread reads just like this one. A lot of people asking questions and no answers.

Keep us posted, schwinn. I'd always figured you'd get more help on this forum than from the techs, who will listen to your problem, have you try one or two obvious things, then tell you to throw out all your data and start from scratch.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #45
pandabreath

Yes, I have a solution! Go to the Set-up menu and run the Delete and Re-boot Function.
You will unfortunatly lose everything but it will jump-start your Tivo suggestions after about 48 hrs from the re-boot. Re-do your season passes and make about 10 thumbs-up choices on your favorite programs. I'm pretty sure Tivo needs to download a software packet to load suggestions and it gets erased when the drive gets near full.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #46
pandabreath

The suggestion software being erased makes sense since eveeryone started having problems after the Olympics recording. Again run Delete and Re-boot and allow 48hrs for Suggestions to reappear.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #47
schwinn

@pandabreath
1) Does this mean you have experienced a "fix" by doing a full-reset?
2) How long has your fix lasted? (My suggestion/thumb reset, as you can see, only worked for about 1 day it seems...)
3) What series Tivo do you have?

Also, for anyone who knows... I have a hacked-Tivo (TivoWebPlus 1.2.1, endpad, etc installed)... will a full reset wipe these out on me? (Ie, should I be prepared to pull the drive and put that stuff back on there manually after the reset?) I figure I'll use TWP to restore my season passes quickly and easily through its backup/restore function... which won't be too bad... if it fixes the problem in the first place!

Edit: Ok, so more confusing info. When I got home, I checked my PP/Sugg list and it showed nothing. So, I thumb-upped one item... then about 2 hours later, I see Tivo is recording a suggestion! I checked the PP/Sugg list and there is one other item in the list (not the show that is currently recording).

So, it looks like I am suffering from the issue mentioned on the thread referenced by the928guy, which was that the Suggestions list gets smaller and smaller all the time, and you need to change thumbs somewhere, every so often, in order for it to repopulate anything into the list.

I'm gonna sit on hold for Tivo support now, hopefully they can do something here, because it sounds like the issue about the patch mentioned in that thread... not sure why it's happening now, all of a sudden, 2 years after that patch was released (and, no, I haven't done any additional hack-changes along the way - the system was working fine all along, until this... wtf?!)

Last edited by schwinn : 09-12-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #48
the928guy
I have toh

Back when the old thread was young, I tried the "reset thumbs" thing. If it worked at all, it didn't work for long. I'm not saying that no one should try it now, but I'm not going to go that route just yet myself.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #49
schwinn

Agreed - resetting my thumbs hasn't fixed it. If I thumb-up anything new, I see new items in the PP/Sugg list within less than 1 hour. If I continue thumbing items, more items show up in the list. However within a short period of time (after performing a record?) it empties out the list, leaving me back with nothing. Seems silly to have to keep thumbing shows for the rest of Tivo's life!

I did get a hold of Tivo support last night. They had no further suggestions to offer - the off/reboot/on/reboot trick, resetting suggestions, and performing a kickstart 57 (MFS check) were all they had to recommend. Obviously, since none of these have completely fixed it for me, he then suggested they would replace my Tivo. Well, I 'fessed up that I don't have a stock tivo - it's got a replaced HD, TurboNet card, and other software hacks installed... after which he said it was unlikely they would replace it. I said this was to be expected, but that I still wanted the matter looked into, and I would like to work with an engineer or whatever to help fix this problem. He gave me a case number, and so now I'll have to wait (at least the rest of Tivo is working fine!)

Oh yeah, I mentioned that people had said this happened since the Olympics. He said there was an update pushed out just before the Olympics for S2/S3 users (S1, my system, received no such update.) The operator, of course, didn't know if this would cause the problem for S2/S3 people, but it's a lead, I suppose?

So, I'll keep fiddling in there and see what I can find, while I wait for a response from Tivo support. I hope they at least try to help me, and not "give up" because I have a hacked Tivo. As I noted to them, it's been hacked for many years now, and has never had a problem until the end of August (last recorded sugg was 8/27).

One more question for the people here: For those experiencing a problem, can you tell me what series unit you have, and whether it's hacked or not? Just want to know what the population is for my own information, and so I can continue to feed Tivo support with information about the whole problem for everyone... hopefully so they see it's not just me, and not just hacked units...
Old 09-13-2008, 10:38 AM   #50
BanditWS6

Just discovered that I have this problem with my TiVo HD as well. I have not had a suggestion recorded since 8/24, and before then, I was getting several each day. I recently replaced my hard drive with a 1 TB drive and there's plenty of room for new recordings. Deleted items also has some stuff in it that hasn't been purged automatically, so there can't be a disk space issue.

The first thread I found on this issue, actually, was over in the TiVo UK section:

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=403510

Looks like a lot of people there are having the same issue.

I see the Olympics being mentioned -- I recorded the opening ceremonies on this unit, but nothing else. I used my older TiVo Series 2 to record all the other Olympic events, but it's still recording suggestions now as usual. It also has an upgraded hard drive, FWIW.

Both units have Lifetime Service.

I'm going to try a few things -- like toggling suggestions on and off, rebooting, forcing a call, etc. -- but may wind up just calling TiVo support to let them know I'm having the issue as well.
BanditWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #51
F. Jones
Gorilla at Large

I have an unhacked Series 1.

I experienced the same thing after wiping Thumbs data. It recorded one odd choice, then stopped. Currently there is one item in my Suggestions list -- a show for which I currently have a Season Pass.

Perhaps the tie to the Olympics thing is that the shows were just so long. Could be an issue of not properly freeing up the space of 4-hour blocks. We could try manually recording a bunch of shorter shows to fill up the TiVo, then see if the deletion process works properly.

The theory that the problem is based on the system running out of space and deleting an important bit of code sounds reasonable. Any way to force a software update?

Since I assume the "Delete and Reboot" option would wipe all the shows I currently have saved, I'm not willing to give those up in favor of Suggestions (and reinputting a ton of Season Passes, some of which are for seasonal shows that I wouldn't be able to add until they come back).
Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #52
BanditWS6

OK, back with some more info.

Earlier today I followed this procedure, as recommended here and elsewhere:

1. Turn off auto recording of suggestions.
2. Reboot TiVo.
3. Turn on auto recording of suggestions.
4. Reboot TiVo.
5. Force a manual connection to the TiVo service.
6. Let sit for 6 hours.

Now I have two suggestions on my hard drive and two more being recorded as we speak.

I'll keep monitoring this and see if it eventually stops working again, as it has for others here (like Schwinn).
Old 09-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
the928guy
I have toh

I, too, tried the turn off suggestions / reboot / turn on / reboot dance. Since then (about two days ago), I've had one odd movie recorded as a suggestion (a movie way outside of any genre that I might have interest in). Nothing has shown up in the Suggestions screen. I'm not going to clear thumb data, since I did that four years ago and it didn't help then. I'm not eager to start from scratch with the thumbs.

For what it's worth, I have a Series 1 -- Philips 312, if I recall correctly. The only mod I've done is swap the hard drive for a 120 gig one, and that was years ago.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #54
BanditWS6

There's about 3 or 4 pages of shows listed in my suggestions screen -- the one that lists upcoming programs that TiVo thinks I'd like -- but for some reason it stops after 9/17. If I recall correctly, this list used to be a lot longer.

I might be willing to try clearing all thumb ratings, but from what I read, that hasn't worked for anyone yet, so I probably won't bother.

I have 4 suggestions now, and they are all things that make sense given my ratings and recording history. The unit still doesn't seem to be recording suggestions as often as it should, but I'm not surprised because it's only had about 12 hours of uptime. The real test will be to see how it behaves over the next few days.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #55
BanditWS6

Update: I now have 14 relevant suggestions on my TiVo. This seems more like per-usual behavior.

Any chance this strange behavior lately is due to bad guide data? I got to thinking about that when I noticed my guide data keeps erroneously listing Mojo HD's series "Speed" as the 1992 film "Speed." (And speaking of which, is there anyone I can contact to address incorrect guide data?)
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #56
pandabreath

Big Grin

[quote=schwinn;6675448]@pandabreath
1) Does this mean you have experienced a "fix" by doing a full-reset?
2) How long has your fix lasted? (My suggestion/thumb reset, as you can see, only worked for about 1 day it seems...)
3) What series Tivo do you have?
QUOTE]

My series one was fixed after a full reset. I have at least 10-12 suggestions now.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #57
BanditWS6

Just to follow up, it looks like the toggle/reboot song & dance has actually worked in my case. I've got somewhere north of 40-50 suggestions now, with new ones recording almost constantly. This is the same sort of operation I was seeing prior to 8/24, when everything stopped. So for the moment, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #58
schwinn

So to summarize...

Not working:
the928guy: unhacked S1 (new drive only)
FJones: virgin S1
schwinn: hacked S1 (new drive and other hacks)

Working:
BanditWS6: TivoHD, off/reboot/on/reboot, working Since 9/13
pandabreath: (Series? How long has it lasted? # of Suggestion items?) Full Reset worked

Anyone else I am missing here? (I'm more interested in the ones that still don't work, so I have more "help" for Tivo when they get back to me on the case number.)

Incidentally, I have no response from Tivo yet...
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM   #59
fuzzyfox

No love.

I have been following this thread for a while hoping for a solution. I have the same problem.

Series 1, only mod is a larger HDD. No suggestions at all. I did not record any of the Olympics.

The "suggestions off/reboot/suggestions on/reboot" dance did not work. I tried that about a week, or so ago.

I have not tried the "suggestions off/reboot/suggestions on/reboot/force call" tango as of yet.

Doom. I have been thinking of upgrading to a newer TiVo anyway. I have a grandfathered (lifetime transfer) unit.
fuzzyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #60
BanditWS6

By the way, I should also note that in addition to the "suggestions off/reboot/suggestions on/reboot/force call" action, I've also gone back to several of the programs I already rated and re-rated them. This often meant something as simple as thumbing them down, and then back up again to the same rating I had given them originally. I also rated a few new shows. Might have had some effect.