TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
1200n

Tivo Suggestion Not Working

My Tivo has been acting very strange. Last week I noticed that it was not recording any Tivo Suggestions. I checked the Tivo Suggestions area to see what was in the queue and to my surprise the list was no longer and just the default instructions and tutorial. I decided I would peform the "clear and delete everything" option and start from scratch. That didn't work.

Well I called Tivo today and they said it was not a hardware issue but a software issue and their recommendation is to take a "wait and see" approach until the end of July when the next update is issued.

I thought this was a horrible answer and asked if I could get a new unit. Of course they would send me one for $49. I said "no thanks" since I find it unfair that they are making me pay for a mistake caused by their software engineers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, did you find a solution. BTW, this a dual tuner, non-HD model.

Thanks !
1200n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
dsmith6281

same thing happening

i have lots of stuff in deleted items that are not going away as well.
this is unacceptable. suggestions is one of the main reasons to get a tivo
dsmith6281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith6281 View Post
i have lots of stuff in deleted items that are not going away as well.
this is unacceptable. suggestions is one of the main reasons to get a tivo
I hope you're joking. This has nothing to do with a TiVo not recording suggestions.

Recordings in the Deleted Items folder get emptied only when your machine need space to record something else.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200n View Post
My Tivo has been acting very strange. Last week I noticed that it was not recording any Tivo Suggestions. I checked the Tivo Suggestions area to see what was in the queue and to my surprise the list was no longer and just the default instructions and tutorial. I decided I would peform the "clear and delete everything" option and start from scratch. That didn't work.

Well I called Tivo today and they said it was not a hardware issue but a software issue and their recommendation is to take a "wait and see" approach until the end of July when the next update is issued.

I thought this was a horrible answer and asked if I could get a new unit. Of course they would send me one for $49. I said "no thanks" since I find it unfair that they are making me pay for a mistake caused by their software engineers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, did you find a solution. BTW, this a dual tuner, non-HD model.

Thanks !
How many recordings do you have saved up? Remember that your TiVo will only record a suggestion if there's space available. It will never trash an item even if it's scheduled to be deleted to make room for another scheduled recording.

Edit: Also, double check your recording setting to verify that you will automatically record suggestions.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime

Last edited by rocko : 05-29-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
dsmith6281

not joking at all...

i've had this tivo for almost a year and the deleted items go away by themselves, as new suggestions get recorded. this is not happening any more.

multiple calls to tivo.
multiple restarts.
clearing of the thumbs up recommendations.

i used to get 10-20 suggestions recorded every day. now one every day or two if that.

shouldnt it be permanently deleting the items to make room for suggestions?
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith6281 View Post
i've had this tivo for almost a year and the deleted items go away by themselves, as new suggestions get recorded. this is not happening any more.

multiple calls to tivo.
multiple restarts.
clearing of the thumbs up recommendations.

i used to get 10-20 suggestions recorded every day. now one every day or two if that.

shouldnt it be permanently deleting the items to make room for suggestions?
My point was that if your box decides it wants to record a suggestion it will dump the deleted items to make room. I'm guessing that it doesn't want to record for any number of reasons - a full DI folder not being one of them.

Empty the DI folder yourself to see if it starts recording stuff - I'm thinking it won't.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
dsmith6281

still no suggestions

understood.
i only even mention the DI because the first thing people say is that you may be out of space, which i'm not.

i manually permanently deleted half of them and still no suggestions.

any ideas?
this started happening a few weeks ago, shortly after the 9.3 update
Old 06-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #8
Phasers

I'm having the same issue here... my last suggestion was recorded as of 6/3.

I tried disabling tivo suggestions, restarting, then enabling tivo suggestions and restarting again... been a few hours and still nothing.
Phasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
argylega

I have pretty much the same problem. My unit is brand new (the HD unit). I definitely don't have it recording so much stuff that it doesn't have room for suggestions. I've been marking things as favorites, giving thumbs up to shows, channels, etc. Still absolutely nothing. I've double-checked to make sure that it *IS* turned on to record suggestions as well. I've had it for about a week, and it hasn't recorded a single suggestion. Starting to get annoying.
argylega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
RedDelorean

Same here

I've seen the same precipitous decline in Tivo Suggestions. For me this is a big selling point for the Tivo in the first place; otherwise, I could get a vanilla, dumb DVR anywhere.
RedDelorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
pomerlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDelorean View Post
I've seen the same precipitous decline in Tivo Suggestions. For me this is a big selling point for the Tivo in the first place; otherwise, I could get a vanilla, dumb DVR anywhere.
I can honestly say that in all the years that I have used TiVo in one manner or another I think I may have got one or two shows that I liked. I stopped using suggestions because it does nothing but show me every rerun of every Law & Order, Cops, CSI, etc.

So if this was a big selling point for you, trust me. At first I thought it was so cool but it only took me about 6 months before I turned it off. YMMV
pomerlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #12
TiVoEvan74

Did they tweak the suggestions algorithm? What happens if you thumbs up a lot of shows that are similar to what you're interested in Suggestions recording?

I know that over the past year, our TiVos record very few suggestions, and only a few items show up in the Suggestions page. Which is fine by us... I like having the deleted shows around longer so we can recover them when needed.

Be careful what you wish for! Several years back, Suggestions would seem to record everything under the sun.

In any event, what shows up when look at the Suggestions set up page itself? (Or whatever that's called... IIRC, you get there by pressing 8 when you're looking at the main menu)
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
alyssa

has anyone who's had the "suggestions not recording at all" problem gotten suggestions to work?

I'm not interested in debating the value of the suggestion function, just if there has be a solution found. the tivo web site said;
Quote:
If the TiVo Suggestions are not being recorded, perform the following steps:

Step one:Turn automatic recording of TiVo Suggestions off.

Step two: Highlight No, don't record TiVo Suggestions and press SELECT.

Step three:Restart the DVR.

Step four:After the DVR restarts, turn automatic recording of suggestions back on.

Step five:Highlight Yes, record when there's space and press SELECT.

Step six:Restart the DVR again.
http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/..._Recorded.html
I've just done this but still get the welcome screen in the list of suggestion page. It says to check back in 'a few hours'. I've got a S3.

eta; this process did work. It did take a few hours after the last restart but suggestions are now being recorded.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 06-25-2008 at 07:47 AM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Padwen

My Series 2, which I recently did an "erase everything" reset on, is having the same problems. For a week it would not record any suggestions, and the Suggestions screen only showed the instructions on how to give thumbs ratings to shows. After doing a "clear thumbs and suggestions" reset and giving some programs a thumbs up/down, it scheduled a couple suggestions after about 4 hours. Over the next two weeks it recorded a total of 4 suggestions, and I have lots and lots of free room (50+ hours). It hasn't recorded a suggestion in the past week.

I liked suggestions! I want them back!
Padwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #15
Mary Lucy Lou

My Tivo is not recording suggestions either. We have almost nothing recorded, so the memory isn't full. We have restarted the Tivo. We reset the Tivo in mid-June.

Is there a software fix for this?
Mary Lucy Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lucy Lou View Post
My Tivo is not recording suggestions either. We have almost nothing recorded, so the memory isn't full. We have restarted the Tivo. We reset the Tivo in mid-June.

Is there a software fix for this?
I don't think your TiVo is broken. Try giving some of the stuff you have recorded (or happen to be watching live) a Thumbs Up and see what happens. I seen to remember that Season Passes automatically apply a Thumbs rating so you should get suggestions based on SPs.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 07-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
sgreen0

Just adding my 2 cents.

My Tivo 2 stopped recording suggestions some time ago. I've reset Suggestion setting, rebooted and reset it again - no luck.

Was there a recent update that may have caused this?

Stephen
sgreen0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #18
Padwen

I think I shamed my TiVo by posting here yesterday, as it recorded four suggestions last night.
Padwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #19
alyssa

it took a bunch of hours after my last reastart (turn suggestions off,reboot, turn on, reboot) for suggestions to appear in (find a program etc) the tivo suggestions page.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alyssa : 07-14-2008 at 11:33 PM.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #20
jilter
Happy to be here.

My Tivo stopped recording Suggestions a few months ago as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
cshuttle

Has anyone seen a resolution to this issue with the new update?
cshuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
ronsch

It's not just the newer software releases as my old Philips 312 has run out of suggestions too with lots of free disk space available. This seems to be a systemic problem every so often. Guess I'll try the procedure documented above from the TiVo web site and see what happens.

Actually, it looks like a plain reboot I did about an hour ago has produced results. I have many scheduled suggestions now although none until Saturday to help replace the 36 hours of expired suggestions sitting on the TiVo. I'll wait and see if it actually starts recording these as scheduled before going any further.

Last edited by ronsch : 07-31-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: New information
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #23
SetsofWaves

My suggestions aren't working either. The Sugegstions page was completely blank, so I turned suggestions off, restarted, turned them on, restarted, and there were suggestions again.

However, for some reason, they didn't show up in my "To-Do" list. Even though it was set to automatically record, they weren't recording. So frustrating. I tried another restart-- so we'll see if that works. If it doesn't then I really don't know what to do next... Any ideas?

Eric
SetsofWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
jmpage2

Weirdly my Tivo has also stopped recording suggestions ever since we started recording the Olympics. There's still plenty of space on the unit, it just doesn't seem interested in recording suggestions any longer.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #25
nmiller855

I noticed my Series 1 unit wasn't recording suggestions so I did the normal reboot yesterday. Today I had only one suggestion listed. It wasn't something I wanted to see so I was going to delete it. I noticed it was time for a local weather update & since there is a potential storm that might come our way, I watched the weather channel for a few minutes. When I went back to delete the suggested recording, it was gone & now there are no suggestions listed. My list was usually full & I have lots of free space on my drive.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #26
markr33

This is really terrible, I like suggestions a lot, and so do my wife and kids! Have an S3 with tons and tons of space (just deleted 200+ hours of olympics, problem started before olympics).

I am trying the turn off/reboot/turn on/reboot suggesting from TIVO here -

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...0a%20list%20of
markr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #27
Outergarage

I am having the same issue on my Series 3. Also my To Do List is empty and it is not recording my Season Passes. My program data is up-to-date, and my hard drive is not full.

I can manually select a show to record though.
Outergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #28
Scanman0

I am having the same exact issue.
My unit was recording 10-12 suggestions a day until the 12'th of this month.
Series 1 with 300 gigs free space.

Called Tivo and the only answer they have is a clear and delete everything.

I have done the turn it off reboot turn it on reboot, was and repeat with no success.

I then stepped it up a notch and did a "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions".

Only made thumbs up suggestions, and still nothing under suggestions.

Next, I did a "Clear Program Data & To Do List"

Let it sit overnight, and created 32 season passes and rated positively many shows.

I then saw two shows in the Tivo's Suggestions and thought it was working. They did not record and when I checked the next day, there were no Tivo Suggestions at all.

I called Tivo and they are telling me to do a "Clear and Delete Everything"

I'll put a new drive with a clean image on it before I delete my 200+ recordings.

I do have a case # with them.
Scanman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #29
jmpage2

I rebooted my Tivo HD and thumbs up'd a few more shows and it seems to have started recording things again.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #30
ronsch

Mine has continued to resist recording suggestions but with the new network season about to begin I don't really care. Gonna need all that space by the end of October.