TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Slider10
TiVo Minion

status of switched video dongle

hey everyone. I am excited with my new HD setup and my TiVo HD. I know my cable company is pulling some channels in a month to switched video. As we all know the current TiVo lineup doesn't support this and a dongle is in the works. My question is has anyone heard of any progress or updates to this? I think we can all agree that switched video is good and enables more hd channels but makes life with TiVo less than ideal.

If anyone knows anything or if Pony wants to chime in, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=390736

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
SpiritualPoet

What in the world is a dongle?
SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Slider10
TiVo Minion

Thank you! Glad to know it's coming soon.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualPoet View Post
early term for this when people first heard of USB attached they saw some small device hanging from a USB port on the back of the TiVo. Like the USB network adapter.

Turns out it is going to be a small box instead so "dongle" no longer really applies but the term was around long enough for itto keep popping up.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
pomerlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
early term for this when people first heard of USB attached they saw some small device hanging from a USB port on the back of the TiVo. Like the USB network adapter.

Turns out it is going to be a small box instead so "dongle" no longer really applies but the term was around long enough for itto keep popping up.
I didn't know that it was a small box. I'm a bit disappointed I was looking forward to playing with my dongle. Then showing my wife how to play with my dongle.

Of course playing with a small box can be fun as well.

OK, I'll stop now.
pomerlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #8
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlp View Post
I didn't know that it was a small box. I'm a bit disappointed I was looking forward to playing with my dongle. Then showing my wife how to play with my dongle.

Of course playing with a small box can be fun as well.

OK, I'll stop now.
that is why I rushed out and bought a Wii the first day I could
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
You're quite a bit too late:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dongle

says 1981.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
alyssa

Just got this in my inbox
Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Your friends at TiVo want to inform you about some changes in digital cable that could affect your TV viewing experience. Some cable operators are in the process of introducing a technology called Switched Digital Video (SDV). You may be made aware of this technology in the context of your provider informing you about the migration of certain lesser viewed existing channels or the introduction of new channels using SDV.

Unfortunately, today's CableCARD devices including the TiVo HD and Series3 DVRs do not currently support SDV, but the good news is that TiVo is working with cable operators to develop the Tuning Adapter, a solution that is currently being tested by your cable provider and will be available in the near term.

The Tuning Adapter will enable you to access the full spectrum of HD channels that the cable provider offers and should be made available by your local cable provider later this year. Although the majority of cable customers currently are not affected by switched digital services, we will continue to work with the cable industry to try to minimize the impact to subscribers that are inconvenienced.

We will keep you posted on developments as they occur and we greatly appreciate your patience during this transition.

Sincerely,
The TiVo Product Development Team

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like tin but for the golden glade. Do not take risks that you cannot return to the encapsulation. Margaret has not the stranding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You're quite a bit too late:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dongle

says 1981.

Zeo didn't say the word "dongle" was recently invented.

He said the word was recently applied to the Switched Video attachment intended to make an HD TiVo compatible, and that later the device turned out to NOT be a "dongle" but rather a box.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Quote:

Zeo didn't say the word "dongle" was recently invented.

He said the word was recently applied to the Switched Video attachment intended to make an HD TiVo compatible, and that later the device turned out to NOT be a "dongle" but rather a box.
exactly what Gastrof said. If someone is going to be using dictionary references you would think they would also use some reading comprehension along with it.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #13
beboyle

Quote:
exactly what Gastrof said. If someone is going to be using dictionary references you would think they would also use some reading comprehension along with it.
I think the point is that we called them dongles way before there was such a thing as a USB port. Or a PC, for that matter.
beboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
you would think they would also use some reading comprehension along with it.
Right back at ya

Quote:

USB - 1995
dongle - 1981
Old 05-21-2008, 06:20 AM   #15
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Right back at ya

USB - 1995
dongle - 1981
What's your point? What does this have to do with the fact that this device, when first conceived last year, was referred to as a USB dongle?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #16
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Here's a link to an article dated today: http://nab365.bdmetrics.com/NST-1-50...eo2qOYOKg=&r=t
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Here's a link to an article dated today: http://nab365.bdmetrics.com/NST-1-50...eo2qOYOKg=&r=t
Quote:
Pricing for the adapters or the ability to use them hasn't been determined, but TiVo said it doesn't expect cable to charge for the adapters.
That sounds like wishful thinking to the extreme.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
What's your point? What does this have to do with the fact that this device, when first conceived last year, was referred to as a USB dongle?
If you'd bother to follow the thread, you'd know that ZeoTiVo was called out by mattack on his explanation of where the term dongle came from. Then gastrof pointed out that ZeoTiVo never gave a date and ZeoTiVo was preaching comprehension, but the whole time mattack was the only one with a clue. It seems ZeoTiVo claimed that the term dongle came with the use of USB ports (USB was introduced in 1995) but mattacks pointed out that "dongle" came way before then - 1981. So you see dear friend, mattack was nothing but right, while ZepTiVo had limited comprehension of his own post.

That was my point. Thanks for asking.

What does it have to do with the SDV dongle? Nothing. It was part of the explanation of what a dongle is tangent that was sparked by SpiritualPoet.

It's all about comprehension or the lack there of.
Thanks again for asking.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Really? Kindly point to where Zeo said that, because I'm not seeing it.

Your BS insults are getting f---ing old, particularly when you're so abysmally wrong in this case.

Stow the attitude and grow up.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #20
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:

Yup, pretty much a cable box with a USB cable instead of S-Video...

Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If you'd bother to follow the thread, you'd know that ZeoTiVo was called out by mattack on his explanation of where the term dongle came from.
wrong - I was very specifically saying why the tuning adapter (subject of this thread) was referred to as a dongle early on. (and it was the word 'early" that some did not place in thje proper context in my post. I at no time was explaining the word dongle except in the context of people envisioning a small device on a short usb cable for this tuning adapter.
Quote:
Then gastrof pointed out that ZeoTiVo never gave a date and ZeoTiVo was preaching comprehension, but the whole time mattack was the only one with a clue. It seems ZeoTiVo claimed that the term dongle came with the use of USB ports (USB was introduced in 1995)
and this would be an example of the lack of reading comprehension as I was in no way saying that dongle came out with USB. I inventoried, maintained and attached many a security dongle to serial ports in my day as network admin.
Quote:
but mattacks pointed out that "dongle" came way before then - 1981. So you see dear friend, mattack was nothing but right, while ZepTiVo had limited comprehension of his own post.
Sorry - but you all did not comprehend my post was specifically about the subject of this post - the tuning adapter and why some called it a SDV dongle.

Quote:
What does it have to do with the SDV dongle? Nothing. It was part of the explanation of what a dongle is tangent that was sparked by SpiritualPoet.
Oops. readers comprehending my post would see it was specifically about the term "SDV Dongle" and in no way an explantion of where the term "dongle" came from other than implied in the context of a small object hanging from the USB port, which goes back to talking specifically about the SDV adpater and had no explicit or implicit wording leading one to assume that I meant all dongles were attached to USB ports, since again (for those finding repitition useful for comprehension) I was speaking about the SDV adapter as it was the subject of this thread.
Quote:
It's all about comprehension or the lack there of.
correct

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 05-21-2008 at 02:50 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #22
mbhuff

Even though both Motorola and Cisco have demonstrated their Tuning Adapter, I think people are still way too optimistic. Since their is no mandate from any regulatory body (FCC, franchise board), cable companies are under no obligation to ever provide this box. I'm sure some will, as well as I'm sure some never will. We have seen how poorly the cable operators have deployed cablecards (which is mandated), so I really can't see them doing better with a box that isn't.

The argument in that they should be servicing a paying customer, most cable companies would shrug and say that since they are offering a DVR, why should they go to the trouble of providing a box which they have to order, stock, manage, and install. There interest is still in providing a STB where they control the UI so they can offer interactive services. If you read there SEC filings most cable companies have grand plans including offering auto and home sales, travel, and alternatives to ebay & craigslist. That is only possible if they control the UI.
mbhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhuff View Post
There interest is still in providing a STB where they control the UI so they can offer interactive services. If you read there SEC filings most cable companies have grand plans including offering auto and home sales, travel, and alternatives to ebay & craigslist. That is only possible if they control the UI.
if that was completely the case then we would not even see the SDV adapter on cablelabs radar. Certainly cable companies have displayed that very behavior but with the progress on TiVo buying into and working with tru2way for the series 4 and the FCC not being able to say cable comanies are not providing the full service on cable card devices then the cable companies do indeed get that UI they control and can hold up TiVo involvement as why tru2way is what any CE needs if they want interactive on a cable card device like a TV.

so I see the major cable companies supporting these devices across the board. Of course quality of service is always an open question
Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #24
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider10 View Post
. I think we can all agree that switched video is good ...

No we can't. No sdv fan here. Who knows if cable had other alternatives to complete with satellite. Also, will all of those dozens of new HD channels have more than token HD content? What we know is cable in an effort to keep up with the Joneses picked technology incompatible with TiVos.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #25
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Who knows if cable had other alternatives to complete with satellite.
Why does this matter?
Quote:
Also, will all of those dozens of new HD channels have more than token HD content?
They'll have just as much content as the sat companies, and really, isn't some HD better than none?
Quote:
What we know is cable in an effort to keep up with the Joneses picked technology incompatible with TiVos.
That technology soon will be. Would you rather they just not compete?