TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #31
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The MRV code is missing in 6.3 and later releases and cannot be enabled with a patch.

Yes, the remote booking is handled over the satellite - no network or dialin is required.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #32
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

has someone deconstructed the new tivoapp to see if perchance Tivo snuck it back in?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #33
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Just to see what would happen, I went to the DVR scheduler section at the DirecTV site and tried to schedule a program. It said I didn't have the right kind of receiver and passed me on to a screen where I could upgrade. If the online guide click screen is ever activated for Tivo powered DVRs, it will be very nice. How they are going to do this over the satellite? I'm just wondering technically how it will be done - if it is ever done. The original announcement said Tivo DVR online scheduling "coming soon."
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
magnus
Tivo User

I'm going to go out on a limb with you and say.... no they are not going to even do bug fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1V0 View Post
No..this is the release talked about by Directv. The listed features were recently deleted folder, remote booking, and overlap protection. I know you seem to think Directv will enable networking/TTG for directivo's, but trust me, it will NEVER officially happen. EVER. PERIOD. They never stated it would be made available. This is probably the end of the line for directivo users aside from bug fixes.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...5yn3m00407402d

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #35
magnus
Tivo User

I would think it would work the same as ordering PPV over the website. It sends a signal over the satellite to authorize your boxes to be able to record the program. So, I would think the same would apply for online scheduling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager View Post
Just to see what would happen, I went to the DVR scheduler section at the DirecTV site and tried to schedule a program. It said I didn't have the right kind of receiver and passed me on to a screen where I could upgrade. If the online guide click screen is ever activated for Tivo powered DVRs, it will be very nice. How they are going to do this over the satellite? I'm just wondering technically how it will be done - if it is ever done. The original announcement said Tivo DVR online scheduling "coming soon."

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #36
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I would think it would work the same as ordering PPV over the website. It sends a signal over the satellite to authorize your boxes to be able to record the program. So, I would think the same would apply for online scheduling.
Yeah, that makes sense. Also, there have been times when I lost the locals and had to reauthorize at their web site -- it was just about instantaneous. It's just amazing such things are possible, so I suppose online scheduling isn't such a stretch.

I'm wondering what changes are involved with the Tivo software concerning this? Since I've installed the latest offering, it must be there. I suppose that DirecTV has to set something up on their web site to add Tivo DVRs to their master list of receivers that can do online scheduling.

As a note to others, the MRV keyring entry in /State/Keyring was not deleted during the upgrade. It may be just a vestige of 6.2a, but I'm still hoping the feature remains -- it's one of the most useful Tivo features going.

I'm going to try Tivo Desktop and see if that syncs up with it. In the copyright notices for the new software it mentions inclusion of the Apple Bonjour networking stuff, so maybe there is some hope that networking in there.

What was that mention in a previous post about all the wireless configuration options in 6.4a? They are not accessable by any of the menus, but I'm sure our online geniuses will find the patch to enable that stuff.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #37
RandCfilm

possible patch locations

dcstager, you could really try to guinea pig your unit if you want to try these locations. I do not have 6.4a on any of my units. Please read before continuing

POSSIBLE "confirmed by CrashHD only at this time 5-24-2008" new location patches 6.4a only. This information is for persons with higher pay grades to confirm.
DO NOT "confirmed by CrashHD only at this time 5-24-2008" try these locations without confirmation from the higher authorities as I used a very crude method to locate the possible new locations. Unless of course you want to screw your unit.

#No encryption (DEC) 1598904 orig 0c16a402
#30-second skip (DEC) 6883312 orig 1440002b
#Backdoors (DEC) 2806144 orig 00008021
#HMO/HME
(DEC) 906328 orig 00408821
(DEC) 1119964 orig 00408021
(DEC) 5874104 orig 14400014
#Free Trial (DEC) 920520 orig 0c1445a9
#OSD Message (DEC) 6895320 orig 0c3289f7

If the jump to locations remain the same as 6.3f then this is what the command would be. TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK "confirmed by CrashHD only at this time 5-24-2008"

Disable encryption:
echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1598904

30sec skip:
echo -ne "\x10\x40\x00\x2b" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6883312

Backdoors
echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=2806144

HMO/HME
echo -ne "\x34\x11\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=906328
echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1119964
echo -ne "\x10\x00\x00\x14" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=5874104

removes *TiVo Plus features (trial ends today)
echo -ne "\x24\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=920520
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.4a
(3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
RandCfilm

Last edited by RandCfilm : 05-24-2008 at 09:34 PM.
RandCfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #38
T1V0

Quote:
As a note to others, the MRV keyring entry in /State/Keyring was not deleted during the upgrade. It may be just a vestige of 6.2a, but I'm still hoping the feature remains -- it's one of the most useful Tivo features going.
That's normal. the tivo won't rubbish a key unless it's explicitly looking for it. You can create an MRV key on an HR10 if you want, it just won't do anything.
Quote:
I'm going to try Tivo Desktop and see if that syncs up with it. In the copyright notices for the new software it mentions inclusion of the Apple Bonjour networking stuff, so maybe there is some hope that networking in there.
Doubtful. The Bonjour notice appeared in 6.3. Again, dhcp functionality was REMOVED from this release. That doesn't seem hopeful for built-in networking.
Quote:
What was that mention in a previous post about all the wireless configuration options in 6.4a? They are not accessable by any of the menus, but I'm sure our online geniuses will find the patch to enable that stuff.
I deleted much of that post to avoid confusion. Most of this stuff that we hack in is there because tivo has obviously modularized alot of their code to make compilation simpler. It's much easier to have a single code base for all machines, and just compile it differently for each platform. This is why there are remnants of SA features in later Directv sw versions. But, something as simple as './configure --platform-DTVS2 --disable-MRV' could add or not add the MRV portion of the code base.
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #39
snickerrrrs
Tech-no Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerr24 View Post
6.4a... aka... beta test for our customers. Their motto must be 'Live on the edge, test in production'. lol

I'm not a guinea pig! I'm a human being!

1-R10 500GB 6.4a
1-SDDVR40 250GB 6.4a
1-HR10-250 1.5TB 6.4a
1-Premier (not activated)
1-Humax DRT800 8.1 (mothballed)
snickerrrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #40
grecorj

This is great news...looking forward to both remote scheduling and overlap protection....
grecorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:14 AM   #41
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerrrrs View Post
I'm not a guinea pig! I'm a human being!
You are Number six.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #42
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I'm not quite brave enough to make the attempt to apply untested tivoapp patches, so I will wait until one of the masters posts a tested superpatch -- which hopefully will be coming soon.

I noticed that the machine isn't making service downloads in the middle of the night anymore. It did it every day with 6.2a, but not since 6.4a was installed.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #43
macizcool

So is there any chance that 6.4a is faster than 6.2? My machine is so slow... I am mainly referring to the programming guide.
macizcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #44
jgriffin7

My HR10-250 now shows up in the DVR Scheduler dropdown on D*'s web site. I've sent a request to it to record a show today; I'll see if it works when I get home.
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #45
ForrestB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk View Post
You are Number six.
Who is Number One?
ForrestB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #46
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Speed is about the same. I never noticed any speed problems with 6.2a though.

Mine doesn't seem to work with remote scheduling. When I try I get the message: "You do not have a receiver that supports the digital video recording feature." Any tips? I'm just logging in, going to the DVR scheduler, and selecting record to receiver from the guide data grid.

Last edited by dcstager : 05-19-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #47
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestB View Post
Who is Number One?
The new Number 2.

Lets see if we can do the whole scene backwards
Old 05-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #48
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Speed is about the same. I never noticed any speed problems with 6.2a though.

Mine doesn't seem to work with remote scheduling. When I try I get the message: "You do not have a receiver that supports the digital video recording feature." Any tips? I'm just logging in, going to the DVR scheduler, and selecting record to receiver from the guide data grid.
If it is like the HR2x they will slowly activate accounts to use the remote scheduler. It took over a month for my account to be activated for my HR20-700. It took another month for my account to be activated on the mobile scheduler (m.directv.com)
Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #49
RandCfilm

Quote:
I'm not quite brave enough to make the attempt to apply untested tivoapp patches, so I will wait until one of the masters posts a tested superpatch -- which hopefully will be coming soon.
Smart man to heed the warning "may screw your unit"
I still do not have 6.4a on any three of my units
(1) HR10-250 320GB 6.4a
(3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
RandCfilm
RandCfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #50
schaeferp
Happy Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandCfilm View Post
I still do not have 6.4a on any three of my units
Same Here. When my 30 second skip disappears without a power failure I should have it.
There is nothing I will use from this besides the recently deleted folder and I doubt if I will ever use that. I have not accidentally deleted anything in years.
schaeferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #51
dtremain

Quote:
Under Channels, the channel list now looks like the latest standalone software. You have a channel list where you tag your favorite channels instead of a separate menu item where you pick your favorite channels and channels you receive.
This came with 6.3e.
dtremain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #52
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

If they can get the remote scheduling working, that's probably worth the upgrade and I'm sure I'll use that frequently.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #53
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I use it now on 6.2a and tivoweb.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #54
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

And the ability to do more than just schedule from anywhere...

TiVo Remote Access (GoToMyDVR)
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #55
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Gotomydvr rules!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #56
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
But "Remote Booking" does not require hacking.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #57
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

For whatever reason - probably something I did wrong somewhere -- gotomydvr would not run on my DVR under 6.3f or 6.4a. The interface for remote booking on the DirecTV site is pretty ideal -- if they would just turn it on for the Tivo people.

I wonder when the official rollout of 6.4a is supposed to happen? I imagine I have it up and running before DirecTV was ready to actually support it. Still not downloading any service data since the upgrade. Maybe that isn't necessary any more.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #58
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
For whatever reason - probably something I did wrong somewhere -- gotomydvr would not run on my DVR under 6.3f or 6.4a. The interface for remote booking on the DirecTV site is pretty ideal -- if they would just turn it on for the Tivo people.

I wonder when the official rollout of 6.4a is supposed to happen? I imagine I have it up and running before DirecTV was ready to actually support it. Still not downloading any service data since the upgrade. Maybe that isn't necessary any more.
TiVo/DIRECTV broke http_get; did you replace with the one attached in the first post of the thread? I think that is where it is, I have to check.

If that wasn't the reason, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you. When I get 6.4a, I'll look again and try to update things as best as possible.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #59
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

gotomydvr lets you run tivoweb remotely and tivoweb allows you to schedule manual recordings when you know the date, time and channel. The DirecTV interface is of course a lot better than that and as pointed out, does not require hacking. Seriously, the only thing I want is to be able to PUT THINGS ONTO the Tivo. I don't want to rip TV shows to disc. Directv's quality is now less than Super Video CD - even if I wanted to do it, the quality is poor even under the ideal situation of the Directivo which records the actual stream unmodified.

The tivoserver alpha application worked great with 6.2a and the Tivo's built-in MRV. If they decide to enable the regular Tivo Desktop or Desktop Plus -- even limited to put things onto the Tivo, I'd be happy with that. Running Tivo Desktop now, my home computer detects the Directivo, but won't work and directs me to the Tivo site to enable transfers and of course the Directivo isn't tracked on the Tivo site, so you can't enable it.

I wish DirecTV and Tivo would syncronize their watches.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:12 PM   #60
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I wish DirecTV and Tivo would syncronize their watches.
Amen to that. Unfortunately, DIRECTV's watch is solar powered and has been in a sock drawer for a few years...

... on my own TV I just decommissioned my HR10-250 and connected a Series 3; the ability to pull XVID onto the TiVo (shared with Desktop Plus) worked very well and with minimal effort.

I would not expect DIRECTV to do anything with the TiVo platforms (remember, its ultimately their decision on what functionality to release) that will put their current platform in a negative light or it will cause even more confusion that already existed when they began that transition several years ago.

I do hope that the Series3 architecture eventually finds its way onto the DIRECTV road map again one day, but until then, my DIRECTV boxes are for 'professional use only'...