TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #151
wblynch

I would think Tivo would be happy to get those $6.95 deals off the books!

But I guess common sense isn't all that common.
wblynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #152
retired_guy

It seems to depend upon which rep you get when you call since they did it for Jakerock. The guy who took my call actually took time to talk to someone else about it before coming back and saying there was no way it could be done on their system.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #153
MarkF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_guy View Post
It seems to depend upon which rep you get when you call since they did it for Jakerock. The guy who took my call actually took time to talk to someone else about it before coming back and saying there was no way it could be done on their system.
Ditto for me I had the same experience, the guy tried and asked around. I even mentioned that someone else converted w/o any fees or penalty and they guy said he was sorry, nothing he can do.

What stinks is 3 years at 6.95 = $250 and now for $299 you get lifetime.
MarkF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #154
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I find it hard to believe that I got lucky when I called.

Only because that never happens.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #155
mikea128

Is there any indication that the lifetime option is going away any time soon for new customers?

When TiVo, Inc. has changed pricing structures in the past, how much warning has there been? I.E. if lifetime is going away, will we likely have some notice and a chance to jump in before it's gone again?

I ask all these questions because I'll be buying soon (next month or so), but definitely don't want to risk missing lifetime.
mikea128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #156
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Everyone....don't forget there may be an advantage to being at $6.95 on a month to month contract of some sort, as opposed to going LT. LT is for the life of the box. If after some period of time a new type of TiVo comes out, you CANNOT transfer the lifetime to it. However, if you are on a M-T-M contract, and a new TiVo comes out, you shoudl be able to just buy the box at retail and do a TSN swap in "manage my account". That's how I have my TiVoHD at $6.95/mo. I have no desire to go LT on mine at this point.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #157
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Everyone....don't forget there may be an advantage to being at $6.95 on a month to month contract of some sort, as opposed to going LT. LT is for the life of the box. If after some period of time a new type of TiVo comes out, you CANNOT transfer the lifetime to it. However, if you are on a M-T-M contract, and a new TiVo comes out, you shoudl be able to just buy the box at retail and do a TSN swap in "manage my account". That's how I have my TiVoHD at $6.95/mo. I have no desire to go LT on mine at this point.
It is this reason why I'm not sure if going lifetime is worth it or not. I just got a TivoHD with the three months free and I'm wondering if it is worth it to lifetime it if tru2way becomes a reality in a couple of years.

Course, CableCard was supposed to address the same problems, and that wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Who knows if tru2way will be better.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #158
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea128 View Post
Is there any indication that the lifetime option is going away any time soon for new customers?

When TiVo, Inc. has changed pricing structures in the past, how much warning has there been? I.E. if lifetime is going away, will we likely have some notice and a chance to jump in before it's gone again?

I ask all these questions because I'll be buying soon (next month or so), but definitely don't want to risk missing lifetime.
Tivo just reinstated lifetime as a regular subscription option less than three months ago so I wouldn't imagine that it'll go away anytime soon.
As for any warnings in price changing, there isn't any warning at all, they just change it. However, when they entirely removed the lifetime option back in 2006, Tivo did give about a 30 day warning and then they extended it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #159
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
I'm keeping a $6.95/mo Tivo that I don't even need because I just can't give up the rate.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #160
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I'm keeping a $6.95/mo Tivo that I don't even need because I just can't give up the rate.
Yep - I have a toshivo RS TX20 that I really only watch DVDs on since I got two DT boxes for the needed tuners. But I have not dropped it back to TiVo Basic since I wnat to pass on the 6.95 a mnth rate to a digital TiVo as I get more into that series line.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #161
retired_guy

I'm doing the same thing on my 810H; $6.95/monthly seems the best deal out there today; without it when the 3 year $6.95 lease on my HD expires, I'd have to either pay $9.95 monthly or $99 per year. Instead I plan to put the 810H back on TiVo Basic and transfer the $6.95 deal to the HD. It would perhaps turn out a bit cheaper to drop the 810H to Basic right now and pay the higher fee in 2+ years but I like the idea of keeping the $6.95 deal essentially "forever" as well as the flexibility of having full TiVo services on the 810H for now.
1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #162
mikea128

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Tivo just reinstated lifetime as a regular subscription option less than three months ago so I wouldn't imagine that it'll go away anytime soon.
As for any warnings in price changing, there isn't any warning at all, they just change it. However, when they entirely removed the lifetime option back in 2006, Tivo did give about a 30 day warning and then they extended it.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I don't have to be in any huge rush
mikea128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #163
shrpblnd

Feel screwed

What stinks is that when I got my Tivo HD, I was told they would "never" have lifetime again, so I signed up for the MSD for 3 years at $6.95.

Now, they won't let me break the contract and change to lifetime, so I am stuck with two more years before I can get out of it. I've tried calling multiple reps and none of them will budge.

This really ticks me off. I can't believe they treat their most loyal customers this way. I am sick and tired of TiVo's arrogance, and I will never buy another TIVO product again.
shrpblnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #164
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpblnd View Post
What stinks is that when I got my Tivo HD, I was told they would "never" have lifetime again, so I signed up for the MSD for 3 years at $6.95.

Now, they won't let me break the contract and change to lifetime, so I am stuck with two more years before I can get out of it. I've tried calling multiple reps and none of them will budge.

This really ticks me off. I can't believe they treat their most loyal customers this way. I am sick and tired of TiVo's arrogance, and I will never buy another TIVO product again.
It's absurd to think that a CSR would know about unannounced policy changes.

Why would you think a contract should be broken?
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #165
shrpblnd

I was told they would not be offering lifetime again. That was a direct quote from the CSR, and based on that information, I signed a contract. Less than one year later, they change the policy.

Okay, I get that circumstances change, but TiVo needs to take care of their loyal customers. They already got one year's worth of subscription money out of me. I am not asking for that money back. All I am asking is that I get the same treatment that a brand new purchaser of a HD TiVo would get, now today... not 2 more years from now.

I wouldn't think that is too much to ask, but apparently it is. On top of that you have some clear differential treatment depending on which agent you talk to. One person gets to break the contract, another one does not.

Not a good way to encourage loyalty in my book.
shrpblnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #166
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpblnd View Post
I was told they would not be offering lifetime again. That was a direct quote from the CSR, and based on that information, I signed a contract. Less than one year later, they change the policy.
I'm surprised that your CSR personally guaranteed that they would never offer lifetime ever again, vs. sayaing something along the lines of "We don't plan on offering it", but regardless, it's not a good idea to base long term decisions based on what a CSR tells you.

Unless there is a stipulation in the contract, it didn't happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #167
aus1ander
schmoopy

Has anyone in a similar situation as mine figured out the answer to whether a discounted Lifetime subscription can become a "Qualified Device" under the MSD terms?

For example, I have an old series 1 with lifetime and my TiVo HD is now on an MSD for 6.95. I have a spare S2 sitting in a closet. If I swab in my S2 for the 6.95 MSD and activate the HD for lifetime ($299) and sell the old S1 (and it eventually disappears off my account when the buyer registers it), will my old 6.95 MSD revert to 12.95? Or will TiVo automatically charge me $100 more for lifetime?

Logic would say that Lifetime is Lifetime, no matter how much you paid for it (ie, I paid $299 for lifetime on the S1 back in 2001, so why shouldn't a discounted Lifetime not be a Qualified Subscription?). Even the fine print in the MSD terms defines Lifetime as a Qualifying Subscription and doesn't differentiate how it was bought...anyone actually do this and have any experiences?
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #168
pdonoghu

Lifetime is lifetime. You primary box needs to be either on a full plan or lifetime to get MSD on the additional units.

What you want to do should work. As MSD is now $9.95/month, I think you can swap a TSN on an existing $6.95/month MSD. If you drop a unit and then add a new one, it will be at the higher price, so make sure you transfer your older price MSDs.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #169
aus1ander
schmoopy

I just decided to go ahead with it. The only reason I've been using the S1 was to keep my MSD price, so it makes sense to go with LT on the HD and keep the 6.95 plan as long as I can... might even buy another HD in a year or so and swab that in to my grandfathered MSD plan. I wonder how long TiVo will continue to let us do this...(keep grandfathered plans)
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #170
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Or will TiVo automatically charge me $100 more for lifetime?
Surely, you must be joking.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #171
modnar

To qualify for the $299 lifetime price, do I have to buy the TiVo HD from TiVo directly, or can I buy it at another retailer and still qualify for lifetime at the discounted rate of $299?
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #172
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by modnar View Post
To qualify for the $299 lifetime price, do I have to buy the TiVo HD from TiVo directly, or can I buy it at another retailer and still qualify for lifetime at the discounted rate of $299?
If you qualify for MSD, it doesn't matter where you buy it.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #173
modnar

Thanks!
modnar is offline   Reply With Quote