TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #121
fallingwater

Big Grin And the beat goes on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
...I have no information on Scientific Atlantic or Motorola or other DVR manufacturers but it doesn't seem like they're losing money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xok1v...eature=related
fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #122
cryptmagic

Question for you guys can i buy a tivo from amazon.com and then get the lifetime subscription? I already have a couple tivos, just noticed if buy from amazon i save 75 per box, and no tax or shipping?
cryptmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #123
Hokie-Dave
Go Hokies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptmagic View Post
Question for you guys can i buy a tivo from amazon.com and then get the lifetime subscription? I already have a couple tivos, just noticed if buy from amazon i save 75 per box, and no tax or shipping?

Shouldn't be a problem. I bought mine from Costco and got it lifetimed..
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM   #124
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I dont see a problem either. When you go to tivo.com and enter the TSN of the Tivo you bought lifetime should be an option provided you already have atleast one other Tivo activated on your account.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:36 AM   #125
NA9D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptmagic View Post
I bought mine from a flea market vendor and put a ilfetime on it...
NA9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #126
gadgetfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I dont see a problem either. When you go to tivo.com and enter the TSN of the Tivo you bought lifetime should be an option provided you already have atleast one other Tivo activated on your account.
Since I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I just want to confirm the above: you must already have an active Tivo in order to be able to activate a lifetime subscription on a new one purchased at a retail outlet? So the only way for a Tivo newbie to get lifetime service is to buy direct from Tivo?
gadgetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #127
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfan View Post
Since I'm thinking about doing the same thing, I just want to confirm the above: you must already have an active Tivo in order to be able to activate a lifetime subscription on a new one purchased at a retail outlet? So the only way for a Tivo newbie to get lifetime service is to buy direct from Tivo?
In order to get the lifetime for $299 you would have to have another tivo on the account. If this is your first Tivo I believe you could still add lifetime to it but for $399. This is just speculation, hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #128
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
In order to get the lifetime for $299 you would have to have another tivo on the account. If this is your first Tivo I believe you could still add lifetime to it but for $399. This is just speculation, hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.
You are correct !!

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #129
gadgetfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
You are correct !!
Excellent. I've actually got an SD-H400 that only has the Basic service on it, but with the return of lifetime service, we're thinking about picking up a Tivo HD and lifetime, even if we don't have the HDTV to go along with it just yet. If nothing else, we'd be able to take advantage of having a dual-tuner unit.

Just bummed that we missed out on the Fry's deal a few weeks back...we're just a few miles away from one.
gadgetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #130
MarkF2

I'm curious how you guys think this would play out.

I have an S2 as my primary paying $14/mo (rounding) and my HD is my MSD and I'm paying $7/month. I'd like to get a lifetime on the HD which I should be able to get for $299 b/c I have the S2 on the account. Once the lifetime for $299 is active can I cancel the service on the S2?

Thanks
MarkF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #131
MarkF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF2 View Post

I have an S2 as my primary paying $14/mo (rounding) and my HD is my MSD and I'm paying $7/month. I'd like to get a lifetime on the HD which I should be able to get for $299 b/c I have the S2 on the account. Once the lifetime for $299 is active can I cancel the service on the S2?

Thanks

Oh yeah and then after I have the $299 lifetime I want to add the S2 back in for $7 under MSD, is that possible?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #132
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Oh yeah and then after I have the $299 lifetime I want to add the S2 back in for $7 under MSD, is that possible?
I doubt you'll be able to get the $6.95/month MSD rate on the S2; after you do what you describe your choices will probably only be the new $9.95/month rate or the $99/year MSD rates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #133
Hokie-Dave
Go Hokies!

Quote:

Thanks
Did you do a 3yr commitment to get the $6.95 rate, or have you had it for quite a while (probably not since it is an HD). The problem here is that I don't think you will be able to move the HD to lifetime unless you break the MSD contract which would have a cancellation payment.

Here is how I can see this working. Find a free or almost free S1 or S2. Replace the MSD'ed HD with this machine (cancel HD sub). Lifetime the HD. Cancel your $14/month HD. Replace the free or almost free S1/2 that you just put on MSD (6.95) with your S2.

I think this should be legal and should be able to accomplish all online. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #134
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I had my HD unit moved to lifetime this week. I haven't owned it for even a year but was on the 6.95 three year plan. There was no problem what so ever. She mentioned that it was breaking the 3 year commitment (which I had forgotten about) and said something along the lines of "of course, that is not a problem" and moved on.

To be clear there was no cancellation charge or issue with breaking the 3 year commitment in order to move to lifetime.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #135
radioflyer410

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Amazon is currently selling the Tivo HD for $228 w/free shipping. You have to add to cart to see the price. This is from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller.
radioflyer410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 AM   #136
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
What I want to know is, how did that guy extract a Tivocast from his Tivo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #137
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyer410 View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Amazon is currently selling the Tivo HD for $228 w/free shipping. You have to add to cart to see the price. This is from Amazon, not a 3rd party seller.
Ordered one on Tuesday. Got it yesterday, installed it, and activated it with lifetime.

Sweet.

Though it wasn't from Amazon it was from 6Ave when I ordered it. Also it was slightly cheaper.

Last edited by jakerock : 05-31-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added last line
jakerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #138
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
What I want to know is, how did that guy extract a Tivocast from his Tivo?
PC capture card is a good bet. A better question is why bother uploading it to YouTube when it's available on David Pogue's blog.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #139
MarkF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post
Did you do a 3yr commitment to get the $6.95 rate, or have you had it for quite a while (probably not since it is an HD). The problem here is that I don't think you will be able to move the HD to lifetime unless you break the MSD contract which would have a cancellation payment.

Here is how I can see this working. Find a free or almost free S1 or S2. Replace the MSD'ed HD with this machine (cancel HD sub). Lifetime the HD. Cancel your $14/month HD. Replace the free or almost free S1/2 that you just put on MSD (6.95) with your S2.

I think this should be legal and should be able to accomplish all online. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Well I just called up and said I wanted to switch to lifetime on my Tivo HD and she said the only catch is I don't have a 30 day cancellation. I said that was fine and the whole transaction was done in 2 minutes.

Now I'm going to call back in a week or 2 and see if I can get an MSD discount on the S2.

I also do have a second S2 that I can do the swap with.

I am also considering getting another Tivo HD and getting lifetime on that one too.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #140
c3
TiVoholic

MarkF2, you just lost $7/month MSD. Should have done what Hokie-Dave suggested.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #141
MarkF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post
MarkF2, you just lost $7/month MSD. Should have done what Hokie-Dave suggested.

Well I sort of got screwed. They did add the lifetime but it was effective in 2010 AFTER my $7 3 year deal was over. I called TIVO to ask to cancel my lifetime order because of the 2 year delay, which they said they did (I'll fight it with the credit card if they didn't).

I may still try what hokie-dave suggested since I have an extra S2 sitting around, but there are going to be case notes on my account since it was a big deal to cancel the lifetime order.

The second rep was real nice and basically said I got screwed by that 3 year $7 deal, b/c of the termination fee. I did ask him if I can transfer it (3 year deal) to another unit and he said yes. Tonight I will try to move the 3 year deal onto my spare S2, effectively cancel service on my HD and then tomorrow I'll try to buy the lifetime on the HD.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #142
MarkF2

I just did the whole transaction online, shifting all of my plans around, added the lifetime on my HD, put the $7 on the S2 in use and the month to month on my spare S2
Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #143
Hokie-Dave
Go Hokies!

Quote:
I just did the whole transaction online, shifting all of my plans around, added the lifetime on my HD, put the $7 on the S2 in use and the month to month on my spare S2

Sounds exactly like I suggested. Glad it worked.

dave
Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #144
MarkF2

Yup, just canceled my spare worked out perfectly.

Thanks for the idea.

Now I have an HD with lifetime and my S2 with 3 years @ $7 with 2 years to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post
Sounds exactly like I suggested. Glad it worked.

dave

Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #145
hunter69

Where online is the option to change to lifetime? I know I can call, but was looking for an online solution.

Thanks
hunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #146
MarkF2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter69 View Post
Where online is the option to change to lifetime? I know I can call, but was looking for an online solution.

Thanks
I couldn't find it when I wanted to change. However it was there when I went to add a unit.

That is why I had to put my spare into play.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #147
Hokie-Dave
Go Hokies!

Quote:
I couldn't find it when I wanted to change. However it was there when I went to add a unit.

That is why I had to put my spare into play.
I believe that is correct. Is your current TiVo still under contract? Or is it on a month to month w/ no contract? The only way I saw the lifetime available option was to add a new unit as well. But if you only have one unit, you can't cancel and then add lifetime to that online since you would then not be a customer and wouldn't get the $299 rate. The $299 rate may not even apply to you though. I think it may be for existing customers adding new units into service, not changing their existing unit to lifetime but I could be wrong.

dave
Old 06-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #148
hunter69

Thanks for the info. I have 4 Tivos with Lifetime now, and an HD that has the contract ending the end of this month. I will just sit back and wait for my box to go to monthly and try again.
hunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #149
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter69 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have 4 Tivos with Lifetime now, and an HD that has the contract ending the end of this month. I will just sit back and wait for my box to go to monthly and try again.

If you want you can call Tivo and have them change it to a lifetime now. That is what I did. You can't do it online but they will transfer the service with no fee etc. They did that for me. I had a HD that I have owned for less than a year on a three year commitment.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #150
retired_guy

I tried to buy lifetime for my HD which was about eight months into a three year %6.95 deal and the TiVo rep said there was no way for him to do it unless I paid the cancellation charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
I had my HD unit moved to lifetime this week. I haven't owned it for even a year but was on the 6.95 three year plan. There was no problem what so ever. She mentioned that it was breaking the 3 year commitment (which I had forgotten about) and said something along the lines of "of course, that is not a problem" and moved on.

To be clear there was no cancellation charge or issue with breaking the 3 year commitment in order to move to lifetime.

1 TiVo HD 1TB Lifetime
retired_guy is offline   Reply With Quote