TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #31
DrewTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
I'm not clear on the $399 vs. $299. If I already own a TiVo or 2 and I buy a new one, will I pay $399 or $299 for service?
$299. If you log in to your account and then purchase a tivo, the lifetime service option will show up as $299.

BTW, unless there's some restriction on canceling other accounts, this is a nice treat for current subscribers--basically giving them $100 off lifetime. (I.e., if you have a tivo under contract and want a new one, but don't want two, but this, wait a month, and then cancel the other one. You've saved $100 on lifetime).
DrewTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #32
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
Now I have to deal with considering if 299/6.95* = 43 months is worth a lifetime or not
Yup same question I have just got the TiVo HD and haven't set it up yet. The Tivo Series 2 that I was supposed to transfer the service off of still have some use to me so for $299 I will likely get lifetime for the new TiVo HD. If I do will have $665 into a new TiVo HD with lifetime, a TiVo wireless adapter and a 500 gig WD My DVR Expander external hard drive guess that's not bad.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #33
MickeS

Yeah I decided to keep my Series 2 Lifetimed and not take advantage of the transfer offers they've had. I guess there's just a part of me that thinks that the inability to control external boxes with the S3/THD could bite me in the ass... since the Series 2 will almost be guaranteed to work at least with SD satellite and cable for a long time, and it still does TTG/TTCB/music, I prefer to keep it at Lifetime.

This offer, to outright buy LT for a new unit, is more attractive to me.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #34
sirbob

Oh no, I just picked up my Tivo HD w/ Lifetime on April 10th using the $200 promotion so I'm a mere 5 days out of the window for getting the $100 credit. So sad,

Ryan
sirbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #35
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbob View Post
Oh no, I just picked up my Tivo HD w/ Lifetime on April 10th using the $200 promotion so I'm a mere 5 days out of the window for getting the $100 credit. So sad,

Ryan
I would still try and ask them for the credit. Worst that could happen is that they turn you down.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
Now I have to deal with considering if 299/6.95* = 43 months is worth a lifetime or not

* - old grandfathered month to month sub.
Old's cool
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosoph View Post
I want the Lifetime Service for the Web Special Refurb TiVo HD!!!
One would think, all new units bought through Tivo might have all service plans available eventually. Have you called up CS & asked?

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #37
sirbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
I would still try and ask them for the credit. Worst that could happen is that they turn you down.
I had the same line of thought but was sadly turned down. Oh 5 days, why must you taunt me.

However, if anyone else in a simillar situation of being over the 30 day mark by a week or so calls in and gets a switch-er-o do tell and I'll try again,

Ryan
sirbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #38
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
No, it means that you can't transfer that lifetime service to a brand new Series 5 in 2012.
Unless they get rid of lifetime again in 2011 for not being cost effective and then offer a "once in a lifetime, lifetime transfer" in 2012.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #39
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'm sort of hoping for a "special" lifetime transfer option when the next series of Tivo's come out. Or they could just mess up like they did when I transferred my Series 1 lifetime to my Tivo HD and not charge me at all.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #40
Hokie-Dave
Go Hokies!

Just called up and got my credit. It took all of 10 minutes. The lady in the billing department said that they have something in their system setup to do the credit for them if you are within 30 days so they do not have to go through the process of cancelling your account, crediting the $399, then reactivating it and charging you $299. I even got a confirmation email for the credit while I was on the phone with them.

TiVo Customer Service was a pleasure to deal with.

dave
Hokie-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #41
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Now I have to deal with considering if 299/6.95 = 43 months is worth a lifetime or not
I am in the same situation. My first thought was, "If you are capable of replacing the hard drive (more than likeky the only part of the TiVo that would wear out within four years), then go for it."
Note that, unlike with the 3-year plan, the lifetime plan does not extend the length of the parts warranty.

My second thought was, "I think I'll wait to see if they are working on a new machine that will somehow allow things like Video On Demand access without needing a separate cable box before investing that kind of money on a box I might want to replace."

(Then again, according to the TiVo website, if you get a lifetime service and then sell the box to someone else, they get the lifetime service for that box as well.)

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
SeanTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTivo View Post
That has nothing to do with anything. If it was profitable before Dish, it's profitable now. If not, not. I'm guessing they learned from the "limited" availability of lifetime that it was a good idea--clearly Tivo hasn't figured out consumer behavior very well, which is why they keep changing their pricing plan options.
If you want the answer to why they flip flopped on this again, read the Comcast/Tivo forum.

The Comcast rollout has been a disaster. DTV is ramping up efforts to replace the DTV Tivo's. The result is Tivo's sub base is shrinking. By a lot.

What choice do they have except to try growing Stand Alone subs by offering deals?

They have an earnings call in 2 weeks. I can't wait to hear Rogers explain why they are doing this after previous calls where he explained why they were dumping lifetime service because it didn't make sense for Tivo.
SeanTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #43
alyssa

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
My second thought was, "I think I'll wait to see if they are working on a new machine that will somehow allow things like Video On Demand access without needing a separate cable box before investing that kind of money on a box I might want to replace."
-- Don
yeah but say you've got 2 tivo's, one lifetimed & one at $6.95. If you bought a third tivo at the $299 lifetime offer & kept the $6.95 unit subed for the kiddo/workout/guest room tv.
Then when the S4 comes out you'd have a $6.95 sub to transfer to it.
Yeah, I'm desperately trying to talk myself into a second hd tivo to replace my S2.

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #44
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
I also thing TiVo sees more revenue oppurtunity in the active susbscriptions from 3rd party deals likes ads and Tivocasts and UNBOX. Also TiVo may see good revenue generation in moving older lifetime to a new box for 199$ that they bring out every so often. That is different from a 6 or 7 year old S1 still hanging on their cost structure.

Plus they just may have seen the light that a substantial group of consumsers just do not like any plan but pay once and be done.

* - old grandfathered month to month sub.
I always look at it this way. Say in 1/2 the time, 22 months you decide you want something new, or don't want it anymore.

That would have been $153 @ $6.95, but you paid $299.

The question is, could you sell it at a $146 (or more) premium with lifetime on it, then selling it without, and I think the answer has to be yes.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #45
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I always look at it this way. Say in 1/2 the time, 22 months you decide you want something new, or don't want it anymore.

The question is, could you sell it at a $146 (or more) premium with lifetime on it, then selling it without, and I think the answer has to be yes.

-smak-
That's a really good point. I have a Tivo HD that I'm paying $6.95/mon on. I think I might just pull the trigger on this. I also have a S3 in the middle of a 3 year pre-pay. Having the Tivo HD on lifetime will give me more options when the 3 -year pre-pay on the S3 runs out. I can put it on a monthly or yearly MSD plan.

Edit: Too bad Tivo's web site does not allow me to switch service plans on existing boxes. Looks like I have to make a call.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL

Last edited by yunlin12 : 05-15-2008 at 08:05 PM.
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #46
windracer
joined the 10k club

This story was mentioned on Friday's episode of Buzz out Loud (CNET podcast) with credit to GizmoLovers and zatznotfunny.

Funny quote by Molly: "According to Dave Zatz (I don't know who that is) ..."

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #47
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

-smak-

The problem with that Is that I have 4 kids and currently 4 active TiVo DVRs 3 of them dual tuners. I tend to move DVRs around versus a straight replacement of one so if I sell - it is older tech. Also I am not energetic about selling stuff. Double also my single tuner S2 has lifetime that is just creeping over 4 years old - it currently servce TiVo to my Sister and Borther in law in Switzerland via Slingbox. I hope to transfer its lifetime to a Series 4 when that comes out.

That is actually at the heart of my delimena as I will likely end up with one more TiVo HD before the S4 comes out and would I hang onto that TiVo HD for 43 months - I think the answer is yes though it depends on how much bette and easier the S4 might be - eg cable cards or not, more horsepower under the hood etc..
Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #48
keepthewebopen

So is the $299 pricetag on lifetime subs for existing subscribers good for naked HD Tivos or do you have to purchase the $598.99 bundle?

Tivo.com only allows you to purchase the lifetime sub when you bundle it with the $299 HD tivo, but I'm wondering if I could buy an HD Tivo elsewhere and then buy a $299 lifetime sub over the phone.

What say you tivo gurus?
keepthewebopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #49
lessd

[quote=keepthewebopen;6295654]So is the $299 pricetag on lifetime subs for existing subscribers good for naked HD Tivos or do you have to purchase the $598.99 bundle?

Tivo.com only allows you to purchase the lifetime sub when you bundle it with the $299 HD tivo, but I'm wondering if I could buy an HD Tivo elsewhere and then buy a $299 lifetime sub over the phone.

What say you tivo gurus?[/QUOTE

Yes, and no phone call needed, you can do it on the TiVo web sight (if you have another active TiVo in your account)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #50
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Unless you already have a wireless adapter then I'd just go for the bundle. But as mentioned you must already have a tivo active in order to do this. Once you go in to activate the new Tivo the lifetime sub should show up.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #51
Majik45

Well, Tivo screwed up my $100 refund on the lifetime price. I got on my credit card website this morning, and saw a $6.95 charge on there from Tivo which is weird considering I have a 3 year pre-pay on and old Series 2, and then I just bought a new HD Tivo on April 30th with lifetime. I logged into my account online to see what the deal was and here's what I find. I got the HD Tivo for $199 back with the deal that ended in April and bought the lifetime subscription for $399. Well, I see tivo refunded both of those prices in my accounts, and then recharged me for a Tivo HD at $299 and lifetime subscription at $299. Well because the price of the actual Tivo went up with the way they did it, I actually got charge $6.95 more or whatever it was because the tax on the tivo was now more. I guess I'll have to call them again to fix it.
Majik45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #52
keepthewebopen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes, and no phone call needed, you can do it on the TiVo web sight (if you have another active TiVo in your account)
You mean $299 lifetime will be listed when you put in the TSN of the box you want to activate, right? So, for example, you could purchase a $299 Tivo at Bestbuy and the $299 lifetime sub will be available when you go to activate under your existing account, right?

Because on the tivo store if you try to purchase a refurb unit or any other discounted unit it will not allow you to order together with a $299 lifetime sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Unless you already have a wireless adapter then I'd just go for the bundle. But as mentioned you must already have a tivo active in order to do this. Once you go in to activate the new Tivo the lifetime sub should show up.
The wireless adapter bundle doesn't seem to work with the MSD. The available bundles are:
1. $299 HD Tivo + $299 MSD lifetime sub
2. "Bluemoon" promo: $698.99 HD Tivo w/ wireless adapter and lifetime sub
3. "Webspecial": $199 refurb HD Tivo + 1 year-service commitment
4. "NEA" promo: $199 refurb HD Tivo + any service commitment (from 1-year to $399 lifetime sub).

When I log into my account and add each of these deals to my cart #1 is the only one which gives the $299 MSD lifetime sub. For example, deal #2 shows up at $698.99 whether I'm logged into my existing service account or not.

Now, lessd is reporting that if you enter the TSN to activate a new Tivo then the $299 MSD shows up too. However, the only place I know of to get an HD Tivo for as low as $199 (or $299 w/ free wireless adapter) is via one of the above bundles. So unless Tivo will issue a $100 refund, I can't get both a $199 HD Tivo (or $299 w/ free wireless) AND a $299 lifetime sub.

Last edited by keepthewebopen : 05-19-2008 at 11:05 AM.
keepthewebopen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #53
atmuscarella

keepthewebopen: I just got a new TiVo HD + wireless adapter on a special Tivo promotion for $199.99 and then purchased lifetime for the unit at $299.99 or $500 total. The promotion was limited and you had to receive the offer directly from TiVo, but I am guessing if you are willing to wait a few months something similar will come along that will be available to more people. TiVo seems to have lots of different offers, but once something is offered the first time it seems to come back around again (unless they offer something better).

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #54
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthewebopen View Post
You mean $299 lifetime will be listed when you put in the TSN of the box you want to activate, right? So, for example, you could purchase a $299 Tivo at Bestbuy and the $299 lifetime sub will be available when you go to activate under your existing account, right?

Because on the tivo store if you try to purchase a refurb unit or any other discounted unit it will not allow you to order together with a $299 lifetime sub.

Now, lessd is reporting that if you enter the TSN to activate a new Tivo then the $299 MSD shows up too. However, the only place I know of to get an HD Tivo for as low as $199 (or $299 w/ free wireless adapter) is via one of the above bundles. So unless Tivo will issue a $100 refund, I can't get both a $199 HD Tivo (or $299 w/ free wireless) AND a $299 lifetime sub.
You can get a new TiVo-HD at Amazon for $260 inc S&H, if you have a TiVo account with a active TiVo in it, then when you go to active the new TiVo one of the payment options will be $299 Lifetime (the $299 three year deal is no more). That is simple, there may be a way to purchase directly from TiVo and get the same deal..I don't know.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #55
scurby2

Great news on the $299 lifetime. I got a free HD tivo through my Tivo credit card points a few months ago and hadnt activated it yet, until now. This just saved me $100 and I can cancel the crappy time warner hd dvr rental box and save $15 a month on that. Now i just hope I get all the HD channels though Time Warner.
scurby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #56
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Funny quote by Molly: "According to Dave Zatz (I don't know who that is) ..."
Ouch!

Edit: I think we need to start a letter writing campaign.

Last edited by davezatz : 05-19-2008 at 07:18 PM.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #57
smak
TV MA SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Ouch!

They mention you on the Engadget HD podcast quite a bit

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #58
moyekj

Seems a little screwed up to me. Before signing in to Tivo web site the 3 year pre-pay of $299 is available, but after logging in it's not!? I know the $299 lifetime option is there, but lifetime is tied to that particular box only where 3 year pre-pay is not (can be moved to other boxes), so it would be good to have the 3 year pre-pay option still available as a current Tivo subscriber.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #59
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Seems a little screwed up to me. Before signing in to Tivo web site the 3 year pre-pay of $299 is available, but after logging in it's not!? I know the $299 lifetime option is there, but lifetime is tied to that particular box only where 3 year pre-pay is not (can be moved to other boxes), so it would be good to have the 3 year pre-pay option still available as a current Tivo subscriber.
WOW you would be TiVos dream as i am sure they would like to sell 3 year prepaid instead of the lifetime Sub.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #60
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Ouch!

Well, at least they mentioned you by name. When they said "Gizmo Lovers" I was sure I was going to hear Megazone mentioned.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote