TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
kevinwill1
Don't Get Eliminated

Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM); anyone know of the current status on this?

Hello, and Happy New Year to everyone...

I have finally had enough with Time Warner and I want to switch to DirecTV. My main concern is that the favorite of my 4 TiVos (an S2 Dual Tuner) will be rendered a Single Tuner as a result of my switch, which I really don't want to lose.

I have been doing some reading on here and other sites, and found out about this magical device known as the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM), but haven't come across any recent info about an imminent general release. Firstly, does anyone know about a tentative street date by any chance (last I read was an expected late 4Q '07 or early 1Q '08, but nothing beyond that)? Secondly, will this device even solve the problem of me wanting to watch/record 2 programs at once with DirecTV and using TiVo?

TiVo is the most revered member of my family , and I realize there are alternatives out there, but I am not wanting to part with all the extra features that my 4 networked TiVos give me. Plus, I have been with TiVo for a very long time and I don't want to abandon them now.

Please, someone save me from TWC! Thanks in advance for any info, suggestions, or advice...

KW

S2 80-hr DT
S2 80-hr
S2 80-hr
S2 40-hr
kevinwill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
mattack

I have no idea what that is, but if you want to go to DirecTV, you can get "DirecTivos" off of eBay or elsewhere, which record 2 shows at once. They only handle MPEG2, not MPEG-4, so there will be more channels over time that you can't access. Since this also requires all of the millions and millions of non-DVR DirecTV boxes out there being replaced, I think this will take a very long time to happen entirely.

There's also the Tivo that does DirecTV and OTA HD..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
SullyND
L: 14-49

SWM will not allow a Standalone TiVo to record two DirecTV programs at once.

If you want DirecTV and TiVo with two tuners then a used DirecTiVo is your best option, though if you are currently HD or plan on going HD you would be better off with Cable.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have not seen any hint as to when SWM will become available, but it's been in field trials long enough that I expect it to be within the next few months.

However, as SullyND says, this won't help you. Only specific DirecTV boxes are able to make use of a SWM connection, none of them TiVos. SWM modules do have "legacy" outputs for non-SWM-capable boxes, but this means extra wiring.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I have no idea what that is, but if you want to go to DirecTV, you can get "DirecTivos" off of eBay or elsewhere, which record 2 shows at once. ..
note, these boxes can be hacked to give you MRV-like and TTG-like capabilities(discussion of the how is not allowed on this forum though) but of course no broadband features like TiVocast or UNBOX etc..

With your desire to stay with standalone TiVo you really need to stick with cable or FIOS. I have TWC as well and no love lost by me for them but everything works the way I wnat it to.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
milominderbinder

The SWM8 Single Wire Multi-Switch is now shipping: Click here.

Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) technology allows you to distribute satellite and Over The Air (OTA) antenna signals on a single cable. For instance, you can combine your Sat 1, Sat 2, and the OTA cable into one cable. In addition, a house that was wired with a single cable can now have up to 8 tuners anywhere in the house.

The SWM's do work with the TiVo's and other "Legacy" receivers using the legacy ports. So for instance an HR10 would use 2 legacy ports and still use two cables for it's two tuners.

Currently the only SWM Receivers are:

D12 Standard Definition Receiver - Single Tuner
H20 / H21 HD Receivers - Single Tuner
HR20/HR21 DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR - Dual Tuner

+ Older "Legacy" Receiver Tuners must be connected individually to the Legacy ports.
+ The SWM5 can serve up to 5 SWM tuners plus 2 Legacy tuners. For example, it might serve (2) HR20's, (1) H20's, and (1) TiVo.
+ The SWM8 can serve up to 8 SWM tuners plus 3 Legacy tuners. For example, it might serve (3) HR20's, (2) H20's, (1) TiVo, and 1 older receiver.
+ "SWM" is now used instead of "FTM". Older units may have a label of FTM instead of SWM but they mean the same thing.

Here is the most updated Diagram and Notes on the SWM8 from the HD DVR FAQ:

Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM)

Because it is an active device, I saw a jump in signal levels too.

The SWM8 does a great job of combining OTA and satellite on one wire. It can be 1 cable instead of 3 going to your DVR now. You need a good diplexer though to split the OTA back out at the receiver.

Here is the comparison chart: Diplexers

- Craig

Last edited by milominderbinder : 01-08-2008 at 10:04 AM.
milominderbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
AstroDad
Like Death & Taxes

I recently acquired a swm-8 and installed it Friday night. All I can say is WOW!

It was so easy to install and I was able to

1) use both tuners in the bedroom where before I only had one because I can only run one line into that room because of the way the house is built.

2) Reduced the number of lines going into the living room from 5 (1 HR20 w/OTA & 1 HR21) to ONE.

NICE!! I love this thing!

They can be had for around $120 on ebay. Virtually no chance of getting one from DirecTV unless you are a new subscriber and meet their requirements.