TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #241
goodtrips

wmcbrine, quick question--

I'm having trouble getting the app to run on tiger on a mac. I built the app per your instructions, but double clicking on the new application icon doesn't actually do anything. You can see a terminal window pop for a microsecond, but that's it. Do you have any other suggestions?
goodtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #242
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No. (I have Tiger myself, BTW.) You shouldn't be seeing a terminal window at all.

Try running it from Terminal instead of the app, and see if there's an error message.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #243
goodtrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
No. (I have Tiger myself, BTW.) You shouldn't be seeing a terminal window at all.

Try running it from Terminal instead of the app, and see if there's an error message.
This is the error I get from terminal:
LSOpenFromURLSpec() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/xxxx/remote.app.

...it may not be a terminal window that pops up, to be fair. You can tell from the taskbar that something tries to load, but the process immediately shuts down before anything happens.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #244
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

What if you just run "./remote.py"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #245
goodtrips

Something loads in the taskbar for a split second, but then disappears... Is there any chance you can maybe post or PM me the compiled app that is working for you?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #246
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I meant, run "./remote.py" from Terminal...

I can only give you a PPC app for the Python 2.3 that comes with Tiger, or a Universal app that requires a user-installed Python 2.5. However, I suspect it won't help.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-02-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #247
pauldf78

i can not telnet in on port 31339 on a new Tivo HD XL.. can anyone else verify this?
pauldf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #248
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldf78 View Post
i can not telnet in on port 31339 on a new Tivo HD XL.. can anyone else verify this?
What version is it running? V9.4 has a switch in messages & Settings/ Settings/ Remote, Cablecards & Devices/ Network Remote Control

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #249
pauldf78

you're right my bad it works now
pauldf78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #250
barrygordon

I am an old time Tivo Hacker who has not been around for a while. I currently do a lot of work writing applications for the Philips Pronto PRO line of remote controls. I no longer have a Tivo, and do not know if one will even work on the cable network I am on. I am interested in writing the Pronto TCPIP code for Tivo control. Has anyone started that yet?
barrygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #251
W4ZOO

Sounds fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon View Post
I am an old time Tivo Hacker who has not been around for a while. I currently do a lot of work writing applications for the Philips Pronto PRO line of remote controls. I no longer have a Tivo, and do not know if one will even work on the cable network I am on. I am interested in writing the Pronto TCPIP code for Tivo control. Has anyone started that yet?
I have a Tivo HD and also have a Pronto TS9200, I have ZIP as far as Talent but would like keep up on wha your doing..

Ken

Only my second post but have been a long time reader
Old 09-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #252
barrygordon

Sorry the 9200 does not do tcpip. Ionly work in that area and only with the 9400,9600,9800
barrygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #253
mickever

Telnet a path to more?

This is probably a dumb question, from a non-programmer whose guide to Linux is appropriately addressed to Dummies, but...

Does the ability to Telnet open a backdoor to other possibilities? Could the Telnet crack in the Tivo HD's software armor present a Trojan Horse opportunity? I'm wondering, basically, if the underlying program architecture that allows Telnet could be exploited to transfer other utilities --- chief among them TivoWebPlus --- to the root directory?

Or am I dreaming, guys? Anything to avoid a prom mod!
mickever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #254
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickever View Post
Does the ability to Telnet open a backdoor to other possibilities?
No.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #255
MelSmith

Thumbs up My Hacked TiVo Remote 0.15 for Mac OS X

Thank you very much wmcbrine for your TiVo Remote application, it is a godsend!

I have never used Python, but I could work out enough to make a few changes to the code for my own wants.

I have attached my modified version of remote.py here. Please let me know if this is of any interest to anyone.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture.jpg (29.4 KB, 832 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip remote.zip (7.9 KB, 67 views)
MelSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #256
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I tried to do Unicode "icons" like that as well, but few of them showed up under Windows, so I abandoned the effort.

P.S. Your changelog says "Added handling of '*', '-', and ' ' (space) characters to Text input", but space handling was already there. I don't agree that your layout is closer to the peanut's, either, but that's subjective. Anyway, I'm happy to see people tweaking it.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-26-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #257
MelSmith

I figured Windows would probably have an issue, but that was not an issue for me.

I know the changes are not perfect for everyone; but I thought I might as well share what I did, in hopes it would be of use to someone.

I toyed with the idea of using an image of a TiVo remote, and implementing working buttons in it; but that is too much learning for me at this point.

Thanks again for one of the most useful applications I have ever seen!
MelSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #258
DVDerek
<WittySaying />

Quote:
The changes in this version are all about making it work better on a Mac:

- Removed sorted() calls so that it's compatible with the Python 2.3 that comes with OS X < 10.5.
- Suppress the "console" window that's created by Tkinter.

I wanted to provide an .app, but I couldn't find a way to distribute one that didn't care about the Python version, unless I bundled the whole interpreter. So, instead, I invite Mac users to make their own: First, rename remote.pyw to "remote.py" (or perhaps "TiVo Remote.py"). Then, pull up the context menu. You should see an option* to "Build applet". Select that, and you're done. The new app will work like a normal Mac app, with no extra console windows.

Of course this version should work the same as always for Windows, Linux, etc.

* Or two options, if you've installed your own Python. Either will work.
I tried to create the stand alone application but there is not entry for "build applet" in my context menu. (OS X, 10.5.5). Am I missing something? Runs fine as remote.pyw from the terminal.
DVDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #259
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You have to rename it so it ends in ".py" before "build applet" will appear in the menu. (I used ".pyw" because it suppresses the console window in Windows.)

Old 09-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #260
DVDerek
&amp;amp;lt;WittySaying /&amp;amp;gt;

Quote:
You have to rename it so it ends in ".py" before "build applet" will appear in the menu. (I used ".pyw" because it suppresses the console window in Windows.)
Yeah, did that.

You can't tell from the picture, but I'm right clicking on "remote.py" which is associated with TextMate by default (not sure if that matters).
DVDerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #261
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Ah... look under "Open With".

Sorry about that. I've now edited the 0.15 post to reflect this.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 09-30-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #262
Phasers

This was a godsend

I lost (well my wife!!!!!!) my remote on my series 3, and this is the only thing keeping me going until tivo sends me a new one.

I can't believe I am using a $1500 laptop solely as a remote control for tivo but hey what can I say.

It took me 2 days to find this, and I realized how mch I was addicted.

By the way if anyone hasn't enable the network remote control feature (Under settings somewhere) the info button on the front of the series 3 will work to input the 3 thumbs up when you have to confirm when you enable the feature

Dude thanks so so so so so much!
Phasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #263
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
First, rename remote.pyw to "remote.py" (or perhaps "TiVo Remote.py"). Then, pull up the context menu, and select "Open With...". You should see an option* to "Build applet". Select that, and you're done.
I am running OS X 10.5.5 (Leopard,) I renamed it to TiVo Remote.py, and don't get that contextual menu. The only thing under "Open With" is "SubEthaEdit" and "Other..."

I know Python 2.5.1 is pre-installed with Leopard, do I need to install it again?
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #264
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Hmm... based on that link, it sounds like it only shows up if you've installed Xcode and/or a new Python. If I've misled anyone, it was unintentional; sorry.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:10 AM   #265
Morfious
Happy Series 3 user

You can DL a version of python from here:

http://pythonmac.org/packages/py25-f...2.5-macosx.dmg

The context menu will show up once it's installed.
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #266
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Hmm... based on that link, it sounds like it only shows up if you've installed Xcode and/or a new Python. If I've misled anyone, it was unintentional; sorry.
Yes you need Xcode installed for the Build Applet to show up.

Thanks for this app!
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #267
nwellner

Any chance?

I've only seen the Iphone remote App for jailbroken phones. Is there a chance there will be a version released in the Itunes app store? Or are there too many corporate implications with Tivo and Apple for this to happen?

*sorry if this has been mentioned, I scanned these 9 pages in this thread looking for the answer but didn't find it.
nwellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #268
sanjonny

Sorry years of replay experience but new to tivo

Am i just missing something, I can't figure out why there are programs that run on an iphone without needing to install python, but to do it on a windows i need to run python.

I am using a new dell 4 series (the new mini ultra) that has limited memory and space and it looks like the program for the remote is extemely small, but python is like 15 megs. Why not compile this app into an exe so or make it into a yahoo gadget or java so people could run it anywhere without having to install python?

knowning nothing about it, it seems like that would make more sense and you would have many more people able to use the front end remote than requiring everyone to install python.

Am i just missing something? If there is an easy way to run this as an exe or something please let me know, i read all the responses thus far and can find nothing that explains why this is the way it is.
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #269
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I guess you're missing how trivial it is to install Python... plus the fact that it's a free program... among other things.

It's written in Python because I enjoy writing in Python. If you're not interested in installing Python, you're welcome not to use it. I don't care.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #270
sanjonny

Look, I am not dissing python or anything, I know nothing about it. But it takes a minimum of 38mb from what I saw in the install package. So in order to run this on a majorly limited capacity machine, that seems like a lot of overhead. I don't have an iphone, but it seems to run the app on the iphone requires almost no overhead, like under 100k.

Does python not allow you to compile the code into executables? For the replays there is a similar backdoor for remote control that is run both thru a widget and also a html script, as a stand alone executable and also a java program. And that community is almost dead so I would figure that it shouldn't be that hard to port something out that could be used by a larger universe of users than those that have the technical competance and the overhead to be able to run python.

If this is ported to java, it could run almost anywhere and get a large following because then it could run on any java device, or if python lets you compile, you could port it out to windows, linux, CE, apple software or just about anything.

I don't think it matter what language the code is written in, python ,c visual basic or whatever, usually you can port it out. I am just wondering why not do that, to be able to have it exposed to more users who would appreciate it?

You would probably get ten times as many people using it on multiple different platforms. More people who would be glad that you wrote it and more notoriety for yourself!
sanjonny is offline   Reply With Quote