TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #211
JonHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I think that's actually a good thing since it gives the user some protection against "telnet attacks", but there's still no security if you want to use it.
It's not like your Tivo is sitting on a public IP. You only need to worry about telnet attacks from your own LAN machines. If you PC's are trying to hack into your Tivo, you have bigger problems!!
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 AM   #212
MickeS

I just found out about this telnet control. Nice. I was trying to see if someone had made a script to toggle the CC, clock and 30 sec skip, nice to see it was already done in the TiVo Remote app.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #213
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

So, what's the exact sequence for closed caption toggling in 9.4? I don't have 9.4 yet, but if someone will tell me the sequence, I can put it in a new version of my remote program, so the CC button will work on both old and new software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #214
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
So, what's the exact sequence for closed caption toggling in 9.4? I don't have 9.4 yet, but if someone will tell me the sequence, I can put it in a new version of my remote program, so the CC button will work on both old and new software.
I believe it's Right, Down four times, Select, Clear.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #215
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I assume that's "Right" in place of "Info"?

So, basically it's the same as the old version, but without the additional menu? Selecting the CC icon just toggles immediately?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #216
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
I assume that's "Right" in place of "Info"?

So, basically it's the same as the old version, but without the additional menu? Selecting the CC icon just toggles immediately?
Yeah - "Info" is better due to the three banner options and not everyone uses mine. Yeah, basically the same just no menu - just select it and it toggles. Through Settings you can adjust font, colors, etc. Unfortunately, toggling it on/off doesn't also clear the banner which is why I stuck that in there. I assume most folks would want it out of the way.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 PM   #217
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.14

OK, here's a version where the CC button should automatically work with both 9.3 and 9.4. It will also pop up an error window (saving you from having to run it from the command line just to see the error) if it fails to connect within five seconds; and, if 9.4 is detected on the target TiVo, it will even remind you where to re-enable the remote. Of course I haven't actually tested with 9.4 yet.

[See sig for latest version.]

Last edited by wmcbrine : 08-08-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #218
garys

First off, THANK YOU for putting together the remote.pyw software. I just got 9.4 software and just downloaded remote 1.4. When using the keyboard to type in youtube searches (by the way, how great is that), I accidentally hit "kbd" while not on the A character. Result: The tivo froze up. Just FYI, some combination of keys that the remote.pyw software hit or some other factor cause the tivo to freeze. I know, totally unhelpful amount of information for debugging.
garys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #219
memn0ch

/subscribe
memn0ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #220
hks200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
I just wanted to report that in 9.4 this UI control via Telnet or any application is now disabled.

To enable it again, you have to go to Messages & Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control

Then you have to enable it, by default, the option is set to disables.
Thanks for the post on the 9.4 having "Network Remote Control" being disabled by default. Just got the 9.4 upgrade and wasn't able to telnet to my TiVo until reading your post.
hks200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #221
jhimmel

Hmmm...
I just uncovered a little snafu with this app.

I have two S3's. Both are in my basement. They feed into an HDMI matrix distribution and are controlled remotely through my whole-house IR system. So, one is set to Remote Address 1, the other is set to Remote Address 2.

I noticed that occasionally something was going wrong and one of my S3's would lose its Remote Address setting. Today I found the problem. If you go into your system info screen with this app, it resets the Remote Address to (0), just like if you used a real remote that was set to (0) and accessed the System info screen.

This may be far beyond the ability of the Telnet access, but thought I would ask -
Is there ANY possible way that the virtual remote could query the current Remote Address setting and try to preserve it?
Otherwise I'll just have to try and remember to stay away from the System Info screen when using it.

By the way, wmcbrine, I use this little app ALL the time. I have a TV monitor in my home office. It is usually on while I'm at the computer. It's very handy to have the virtual remote open on the side of my screen for TiVo control while I am at the computer.

Jim H.
jhimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM   #222
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.15

The changes in this version are all about making it work better on a Mac:

- Removed sorted() calls so that it's compatible with the Python 2.3 that comes with OS X < 10.5.
- Suppress the "console" window that's created by Tkinter.

I wanted to provide an .app, but I couldn't find a way to distribute one that didn't care about the Python version, unless I bundled the whole interpreter. So, instead, I invite Mac users to make their own: First, rename remote.pyw to "remote.py" (or perhaps "TiVo Remote.py"). Then, pull up the context menu, and select "Open With...". You should see an option* to "Build applet". Select that, and you're done. The new app will work like a normal Mac app, with no extra console windows.

Of course this version should work the same as always for Windows, Linux, etc.

* Or two options, if you've installed your own Python. Either will work.

[See sig for latest version.]

Last edited by wmcbrine : 11-25-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #223
jhimmel

William,

Any thoughts of the resetting of the remote address? Any possible workaround?

Jim H.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #224
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, apart from the workaround you already found (i.e., don't do that), sorry. I'll keep your problem in mind, though.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #225
Jeshimon

One thing I really wish we had was a MUTE button.

Using the KBD feature was fun to watch.

Last edited by Jeshimon : 08-12-2008 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Addition
Jeshimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #226
goodtrips

Remote Internet Access?

First off, love the remote app. Really amazing work, wmcbrine!

This might be a naive question, but is there anyway to enable remote access this app, and then have it execute locally on my home network?

My vision is to have the app be accessible via an HTML page hosted on the machine running the remote app, that would then execute the telnet commands directly to the TiVo. I am not sure if this breaks or exceeds the limitations of python to be able to execute local commands from an HTML interface, though. I'm confident there are security implications that I should be nervous about, but the proof of concept is too intriguing.

Why would anyone want do this? Remote scheduling would infinitely easier -- I imagine sending video output from the TiVo through a capture card on the computer, use webcam software to broadcast the images, and then have the remote functions next to it.

And then, well, there is always the pie-in-the-sky idea of turning the set-up into a homemade slingbox...
goodtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #227
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

There are no real limitations in Python, apart from speed. But, the easiest way to do what you want is just to forward port 31339 from your router to the TiVo, and connect directly to the router's external address with the remote program. But as you note, there's no security there.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #228
goodtrips

Quote:
There are no real limitations in Python, apart from speed. But, the easiest way to do what you want is just to forward port 31339 from your router to the TiVo, and connect directly to the router's external address with the remote program. But as you note, there's no security there.
Great idea, wmcbrine. I'll definitely give that shot to see if it works.

Also been doing some reading up on telnet over http options out there. I'm sure this is all beyond anything I could pull off myself, but intrigued nonetheless.
goodtrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #229
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtrips View Post
Great idea, wmcbrine. I'll definitely give that shot to see if it works.
I'd be a bit wary of doing that. Not that I think someone will try and control your TiVo, but with all the people poking and prodding at ports out there, there's a chance (albeit slim) that one might hit that port and go to the TiVo. Based on posts here, sometimes sending unexpected commands to the TiVo causes it to reboot.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #230
pmiranda

I've just got to say this is SWEET! Goes well with the web interface to my Denon amp :-)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #231
jhimmel

Something strange has happened. The app no longer finds my machines automatically - I have to enter the address when it starts.

Any advice on where I should start looking for this problem?

This problem just started out of nowhere about two weeks ago, but I have been away so I am just posting now.

Jim H.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #232
JonHB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
I've just got to say this is SWEET! Goes well with the web interface to my Denon amp :-)
Is this an external web app or integral to the Denon amp itself? More info please!
JonHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #233
pmiranda

Some Denon amps (like my 4806) have a built-in ethernet interface for streaming music and run a http server for web control. Multi-room source selection, volume, EQ settings, tuner control, etc. Wifi has better reach than any wireless remote I've found, so it works great throughout the house. I also run VNC on a PC with iTunes, so I have total remote control via any PC or laptop (or Palm TX) in the house :-)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #234
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
Something strange has happened. The app no longer finds my machines automatically - I have to enter the address when it starts.

Any advice on where I should start looking for this problem?
Firewall? The app opens a random port to listen for http requests from the TiVos. If the requests are blocked, it has to fall back to manual address entry.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #235
jhimmel

Quote:
Firewall? The app opens a random port to listen for http requests from the TiVos. If the requests are blocked, it has to fall back to manual address entry.
No, local firewall is off. Only my router NAT firewall is up - just like before.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #236
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
I only have 1 Tivo and I've had this happen in the past, an upgraded version took care of it then, now out of the blue, nothing has changed here, the app started asking for the IP address of my Tivo.

Since I only have the one I edited the IP address into the script, but it is weird that it just suddenly happens like this.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #237
jhimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
now out of the blue, nothing has changed here, the app started asking for the IP address of my Tivo.
That's pretty much what happened here. I can't think of anything that changed. Just all of a sudden, it started asking for address. I have looked around, but besides obvious network stuff (and it works fine once fed the address), I can't imagine where to look.

Jim H.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #238
drivintin

I really want to take a look at porting this over to S2 boxes. Can someone that has telnet shell access help me out here?

From my understanding this is a daemon running that parses the telnet input into serial or IR commands. Can someone send me that file, and see if there are any related files that go with it.

Thanks!
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #239
Da Goon
Registered Abuser

it's not that simple. this is embedded within tivoapp. if you have a hacked S2, just use sendkeyplus (available from DDB).
Da Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #240
drivintin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Goon View Post
it's not that simple. this is embedded within tivoapp. if you have a hacked S2, just use sendkeyplus (available from DDB).
haha, well mostly i want to be able to interface it with the iPhone, since my wife can't seem to help but loose every damn remote. (but never looses her phone)

do you know how in interacts with tivoapp? i thought it was actually interacting with the IR deamon.
drivintin is offline   Reply With Quote