TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #181
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.9... make that 0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snathanb View Post
I can only run it if I set "use_gtk" to False. If I try to use GTK I get just a blank window with the IP address as the title bar, and it locks up.

All my other python/pyGTK apps seem to work ok.
WindowsXp, Python 2.5, GTK 2.0
OK, I finally installed Gtk in Windows, duplicated this, and fixed it. Apparently you can't use gtk.gdk.threads_init() in Windows; you have to use gobject.threads_init().

Also in this version:
- Added CLEAR command to the end of the SPS30 and Clock strings.
- Added support for the numeric keypad (with or without NumLock).
- When I was adding keyboard shortcuts, I'd temporarily forgotten that there was another program that already had keyboard shortcuts to simulate the TiVo remote: the Simulator from the Java HME SDK. Now, I've added the shortcuts from that program, where they didn't conflict with the ones already in use. (Fortunately most of them were already the same.)

Edit: Slight problem with 0.9 -- some of the KP_* keys apparently aren't defined by Tkinter on all platforms. With 0.10, they'll be skipped there, but still work on the platforms where they are defined.

[See sig for the latest version.]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 01:01 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #182
tivoq

A little off topic, we can now over the network

simulate the Tivo remote
pull a now showing list
transfer files in and out

all without prom hacking. What's left is getting Todo and direct remote scheduling (without the Tivo central delay). Is there any indication that Tivo will ever let us do that?
tivoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #183
orev

Don't forget the ability to delete a show remotely.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 AM   #184
SeanC
ECT

I've tried both 9 and 10 but can't seem to get them to work. On version 8 all I did was edit the tivo_address = line to reflect my tivo's IP address.

I did the same for both 9 and 10 but I can't run them. I renamed 10 to .py and ran it from a command prompt so I could get some output:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Desktop>remote.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Desktop\remote.py", line 441, in <module>

sock.connect((tivo_address, 31339))
File "<string>", line 1, in connect
socket.error: (10060, 'Operation timed out')

Not sure what the problem is....
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #185
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Are you sure you have the right address?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #186
SeanC
ECT

Yeah. I still have the old .8 it's edited to say the correct IP and it works.

.9 and .10 edited the same way, no response.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #187
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Let me put it another way... that error is what I get (under Windows) if I put in a bogus address. I don't see any other way for it to arise.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #188
SeanC
ECT

Ugh....

I've been having issues with my ISP so I had to recable the network to troubleshoot with them. I fogot that I moved my laptop to a different network than the Tivo....

Sorry about that.

I'll just be over in the corner hanging my head in shame......
Old 05-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #189
tivorepo

Got it to work. I haven't had any issues so far but I haven't pushed it too hard yet.

Is there any way to make the shortcut keys global so that I don't have to have the remote control window in focus to use a shortcut key?
tivorepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM   #190
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.11

This version tries to connect to the TiVo and exchange TCD beacons, to determine the TiVo's name, and uses that in the title bar instead of the address.

More significantly, if you don't specify the address (on the command line or by editing the file), it attempts to find suitable TiVos on your LAN automatically. If it finds only one, it connects; if more than one, it pops up a small window to let you choose. (I'm not crazy about this interface, BTW.) This feature relies on opening a fake HTTP server on a random port, so it may not get along with some firewalls.

Also, the "-h" option was broken.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #191
snathanb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, I finally installed Gtk in Windows, duplicated this, and fixed it. Apparently you can't use gtk.gdk.threads_init() in Windows; you have to use gobject.threads_init().
Thanks for fixing that. I should have been able to spot that myself, but I'm accustomed to the C bindings to GTK, so I overlooked it.

Version 0.11 works great on my home network. I had to grant it an exception through Zone alarm, but afterwards it quickly located both my Series 3 tivos, allowing me to chose which to control.
snathanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #192
hixeldice
Body Massage Machine

if it would help anyone, i just downloaded the crestron module from their site - the zip archive contains a simpl windows file, a visiontools project, and a couple of other things.

PM me if you could do anything with this.

if not, i'll just dissect them and see if i can find anything out - i'm pretty handy with simpl and vtproe.
hixeldice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #193
wrecklass

Just a great big warning to people trying this out. I have been using 0.8 through 0.11 versions and one thing I recently ran into is when closing down the tool I have had my TiVo suddenly stop responding to most of my real remote control functions and after about 30 seconds the TiVo reboots. It has happened to me twice in the past 24 hours with both 0.8 and 0.11.

Not sure what is going on, but it seems the software doesn't always close down the open session correctly and bang, you get reset.

I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to open the session when a command is being sent, and close the session once the command is finished. Rather than leaving a session open that apparently can get hosed up and cause drastic problems for the TiVo.

While I like this utility in general, I've had a couple of recordings messed up due to this problem. Use at your own risk!
wrecklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #194
SeanC
ECT

Good to know wrecklass.

Just as another data point, I've never had that happen to me.

I only have 1 S3 on my network, also I use the app very little, almost exclusively to turn closed captioning on and off. At most I think I've left the app running for 30 minutes.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #195
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecklass View Post
...I have had my TiVo suddenly stop responding to most of my real remote control functions and after about 30 seconds the TiVo reboots.
Discussed earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Not sure what is going on, but it seems the software doesn't always close down the open session correctly
On what do you base that?

Quote:
I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to open the session when a command is being sent, and close the session once the command is finished.
I doubt it very much... I suspect that would make it worse (see earlier posts). It would also kill the status bar. Feel free to try it, though.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #196
ehgreen
A Quiet Observer

Partial Recap of 7 pages of Great Tips

Lets see if I've got this right . . . .

A) This concept works ONLY on Series 3 machines, not even dual tuner Series 2?

B) Because of the lack of visability of where one is on the menu tree, effectively is limited to local usage, not trans=contentintal?

C) There is no API for a "Query List" function which will give back an ordered list or "Table of Contents" that could then be the basis for one to issue a command like "delete n"

Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated !

ehg
TiVo near Boston and the riches of 'GBH
Home near Los Angeles (cultural Wasteland)
Quarterly trips to download good stuff not broadcast there
ehgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 AM   #197
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgreen View Post
A) This concept works ONLY on Series 3 machines, not even dual tuner Series 2?
Afraid so.

As I recall it, when Crestron integration was introduced, it was presented as something of a luxury feature -- hence fitting with the "high-end" Series 3. That we also get it on the TiVo HD could even be an oversight.

I know of no technical reason for it not to be implemented on the S2... it just wasn't.

Quote:
B) Because of the lack of visability of where one is on the menu tree, effectively is limited to local usage, not trans=contentintal?
Um, yeah.

Quote:
C) There is no API for a "Query List" function which will give back an ordered list or "Table of Contents" that could then be the basis for one to issue a command like "delete n"
You can get a list -- not from this, but via the https server. You could then use that as the basis for sending a series of commands to delete a program, if you were willing to make some assumptions about the state of the Now Playing menu. Personally, I'm not interested in pursuing that; it seems too risky, and not especially useful.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #198
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.12

In this version:

- Delay a tenth of a second between each command. I can't say this will fix the crashing, since I can't produce crashes at will, and haven't personally seen one in some time. But it won't hurt, and it might help.

- If no address is given, and the automatic TiVo finder doesn't work, put up a prompt for an address.

- Some of the new keyboard shortcuts added in 0.9 didn't work in Gtk.

- Eliminate potential hang up in the automatic TiVo finder.

- Sort TiVo names in the list window.

- The keyboard shortcut list from "-k" didn't look right in other than 80 columns.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #199
ivanpiro

One more suggestion

I've been using your ultra-cool remote on my DELL Pocket PC and I can't say enough about it... Most of time I don't even need to use the pointer as the directional keys take care of most TiVo HD viewing, anywhere in my house.

Well, the on exception being the "skip" function. So the one thing I'd like to suggest is the option to assign the "skip" to the enter key. With that extra feature one would very seldom have to use the pointer.

Thanks for a great little program!
ivanpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM   #200
Prestond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpiro View Post
Got it working on my DELL Pocket PC. Very nice indeed!!!

Now I control the TiVo HD (channel 3) feeding all coax connections in my home via WiFi remote. Too cool!

Thanks again,

Ivan
Ivan,

How did you get it to work on your pocket pc? I got Dell Axim with pocket pc 2003 installed...

Did you install some sort of python for pocket pc?

Sorry to be confused..
Prestond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #201
ivanpiro

Well, most of the credit goes to wmcbrine! In post #150, he explained how to do it.

I think I'm going to try running the remote on an abandoned classic PSP.
ivanpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #202
LoREvanescence

Quote:
In this version:

- Delay a tenth of a second between each command. I can't say this will fix the crashing, since I can't produce crashes at will, and haven't personally seen one in some time. But it won't hurt, and it might help.

- If no address is given, and the automatic TiVo finder doesn't work, put up a prompt for an address.

- Some of the new keyboard shortcuts added in 0.9 didn't work in Gtk.

- Eliminate potential hang up in the automatic TiVo finder.

- Sort TiVo names in the list window.

- The keyboard shortcut list from "-k" didn't look right in other than 80 columns.
I just tried out this version of your program and could not get it to work. I installed python version 2.5.2 on my vista laptop, and when ever I attempt to run the remote.pyw file nothing happens. I get the little spinning wait icon for about 2 seconds, then it goes away. Nothing opens, no task is running. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #203
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No.

Try running it from the command line and see if there's an error message.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #204
LoREvanescence

This is what I came up with:

Code:
>>> 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\tivo-remote-0.12\remote.pyw", line 551, in <module>
    tivo_address, tivo_name = tivos[1]
IndexError: list index out of range
>>>

Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #205
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.13

Argh. Thanks. The autoconnect would fail when only a single eligible TiVo was found on the network.

Here's the fix.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-31-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #206
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Argh. Thanks. The autoconnect would fail when only a single eligible TiVo was found on the network.

Here's the fix.
Wow, I guess not many people only have a single TiVo. I'll most likely get a second one within a year or two of moving into my own home / apartment I hope to get later this summer. I just graduated from college this past month, and my S3 is all I got. Though, for the moment, it is set up along side my parents R10.

Thanks for the fix, I'll test it on on monday, I'm heading in to work soon, then I'm off camping for the weekend=)
Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 AM   #207
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
Thanks for the fix, I'll test it on on monday, I'm heading in to work soon, then I'm off camping for the weekend=)
I can confirm that it works. I only have 1 and had a problem with the autodetect not working, but I was used to manually editing in my tivo's IP address anyway, so that's what I did.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #208
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
Wow, I guess not many people only have a single TiVo.
No, it's just that you had to manually enter the address up until version 0.11 anyway, so people were used to that.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #209
LoREvanescence

I just wanted to report that in 9.4 this UI control via Telnet or any application is now disabled.

To enable it again, you have to go to Messages & Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control

Then you have to enable it, by default, the option is set to disables.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #210
morac
Cat God

I think that's actually a good thing since it gives the user some protection against "telnet attacks", but there's still no security if you want to use it.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote