TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #61
bicker
Gruff

It probably times out waiting for your next command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #62
MarkStega

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It probably times out waiting for your next command.
So is everyone seeing this? If so, it seems like the 'proper' use pattern would be to connect, send the command, disconnect.
MarkStega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #63
pzand

MarkStega,

This seems to be a "line-end" issue. Windows clients send <lf><cr> (0x0D,0x0A) at the end of each line. Tivo only sends/reacts to <lf> (0x0D). So when you paste your command, you actually send "SETCH 0840<lf><cr>". Tivo sees the <lf> and executes the SETCH 0840 command. It then sees the <cr> and thinks it's part of a next command. Since there is never a <lf> following it, it eventually times out.

The fact that is shows as overwriting in the telnet client (telnet/putty/etc) is a display thing. The client is actually seeing the <lf> at the end of the Tivo reply and using it as a <cr>. Yeah, it's messy

Peter
pzand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #64
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I don't seem to get COMMAND_TIMEOUT with my remote.py. (I realize the version I posted doesn't display any status codes... this was with a test version.) I found that the TiVo wants a CR (chr(13)) after each command... perhaps telnet is sending a CRLF, and the TiVo interprets the LF as the beginning of a command?

Edit: I was typing at the same time as Peter. However, he has CR and LF reversed -- CR = 13 (0x0D), LF = 10 (0x0A).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #65
pzand

What he said. I have my <cr>'s and <lf>'s mixed up.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #66
MarkStega

Thanks to both of you -- I even suspected that was the case ands tried to set the CR only option in the Vista TelNet client with the "unset crlf" command, but that didn't help.

I am writing a device driver for CQC and I can absolutely control each character sent, so I won't have an issue with that.
MarkStega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #67
windracer
joined the 10k club

Is there a proper exit/quit commands? Using regular Microsoft Telnet, I can't seem to exit out via CTL-C or anything and have to just close the window.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #68
yincrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Is there a proper exit/quit commands? Using regular Microsoft Telnet, I can't seem to exit out via CTL-C or anything and have to just close the window.
Since I believe it's just a raw TCP connection, the proper way to quit is to disconnect. Either by closing your telnet app or if your app has a disconnect button. I doubt that something like this would need any separate disconnect message to be sent for cleanup purposes or whatever.
yincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #69
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

I'm pretty sure the Windows telnet client will take a Ctrl-] (close square bracket) to disconnect but leave the telnet client running. Then you can use "quit" to get back to the CLI.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #70
morac
Cat God

This is very cool, but it's also a little unnerving. Especially if you start allowing communication to the TiVo from outside your network. You could end up with drive by forced channel changes if you aren't careful.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #71
bgiannes

so someone could write a program that could, control everything tivo does/records. You could have a program running external to tivo getting lineups info from web, and controling tivo in everyway? season passes, etc etc... Tivo would become a shell?
bgiannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #72
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiannes View Post
so someone could write a program that could, control everything tivo does/records. You could have a program running external to tivo getting lineups info from web, and controling tivo in everyway? season passes, etc etc... Tivo would become a shell?
Yup. Essentially, that's what Ashu is asking for above. Let the external computer be the smarts, and make the S3/THD a dumb CableCARD-enabled recorder.

I would imagine BeyondTV, with the ability to record 6 to 10 different tuners could handle this fairly simply, were they to write up a bit of glue code to do this.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #73
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Yup. Essentially, that's what Ashu is asking for above. Let the external computer be the smarts, and make the S3/THD a dumb CableCARD-enabled recorder.

I would imagine BeyondTV, with the ability to record 6 to 10 different tuners could handle this fairly simply, were they to write up a bit of glue code to do this.
Actually, that was me. The reason I suggested it be done in JAVA was so that it could work 'cross-platform' without much trouble. I'm sure there would be other ways to do it so it could run inside a browser, but since my coding skills pretty much end in with FORTRAN and shell scripting, I've not kept up on the cross-platform stuff so well.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #74
bicker
Gruff

Still, none of this gives us what I would consider the holy grail: The Now Playing List (and the ability to select from it by handle on a specific title), and/or the To Do List (etc.)

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:58 PM   #75
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
Actually, that was me. The reason I suggested it be done in JAVA was so that it could work 'cross-platform' without much trouble. I'm sure there would be other ways to do it so it could run inside a browser, but since my coding skills pretty much end in with FORTRAN and shell scripting, I've not kept up on the cross-platform stuff so well.
python would work just as well, and keep it platform agnostic.

Ashu's point was that you could enable co-operative scheduling between TiVo units using this. Have the computer do all of the scheduling and conflict resolution, and just have the TiVo's serve as tuners with storage. BeyondTV came to mind since they nearly already do all of this, except with internal tuners. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to issue a series of telnet commands to start a recording rather than a few driver calls to fiddle with a tuner.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #76
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
python would work just as well, and keep it platform agnostic.

Ashu's point was that you could enable co-operative scheduling between TiVo units using this. Have the computer do all of the scheduling and conflict resolution, and just have the TiVo's serve as tuners with storage. BeyondTV came to mind since they nearly already do all of this, except with internal tuners. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to issue a series of telnet commands to start a recording rather than a few driver calls to fiddle with a tuner.
I like the idea of python; it is definitely enjoying a resurgence.

I smell a 'bounty' on the horizon; the one we did for the Neuros really didn't turn into anything, but I think that is because it was too complicated. Will give it some thought over the weekend and chime in again here if it makes sense...

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #77
pzand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Still, none of this gives us what I would consider the holy grail: The Now Playing List (and the ability to select from it by handle on a specific title), and/or the To Do List (etc.)
Exactly.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #78
reneg

Though I haven't played with ircode record yet, it seems problematic to me. I don't see an ircode to stop. If record is dependant upon the guide data in the Tivo, then there will be problems. What happens when you pass the Tivo a record ircode? Does it record the channel you are on for the duration of the program according to the guide data within the Tivo? If so, then trying to coordinate recording from a PC with odd start times for shows and padding just doesn't seem feasible from the outside from what I've seen so far. It would seem that the Tivo and PC guide data would have to be in sync.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #79
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Though I haven't played with ircode record yet, it seems problematic to me. I don't see an ircode to stop. If record is dependant upon the guide data in the Tivo, then there will be problems. What happens when you pass the Tivo a record ircode? Does it record the channel you are on for the duration of the program according to the guide data within the Tivo? If so, then trying to coordinate recording from a PC with odd start times for shows and padding just doesn't seem feasible from the outside from what I've seen so far. It would seem that the Tivo and PC guide data would have to be in sync.
Sounds very likely. You'd have to start playing games with recording back-to-back shows to effect padding, and using "FORCECH" to effect a stop function. Messy stuff.

Additionally, you'd have to worry about clock skew between the PC and the TiVo. If the IRCODE RECORD only records the current show on the current channel, what happens if the PC issues the command a minute too early ? You end up recording the wrong program.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #80
bgiannes

could a prgram like vlcplayer be used to steam the on-screen display, to a remote location that has this remote control program? this would make tivo into a sling-box?
bgiannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #81
SuperC142

Omikron - this is awesome; thank you for posting!!

I think the biggest goldmine will be the KEYBOARD command. I'm wondering if there's some kind of escape code for literal characters. Such as the IRCODE command requiring NUM[n]. I've tried obvious stuff: "KEYA", "LETA", "KEY0x65", "\A", etc., etc., but can't get it yet. But when you think about it, it might need this to differentiate between literal strings and special keys (like "CTRL") so that it doesn't take the special keys literally. Just a thought.

Last edited by SuperC142 : 05-02-2008 at 03:13 PM.
SuperC142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #82
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Even if we can't get "KEYBOARD" to do anything, we can still use port 31339 to get easier keyboard entry -- we just translate a string to the appropriate sequence of up, down, left, right, and select.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #83
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
we just translate a string to the appropriate sequence of up, down, left, right, and select.
Yikes ... we'll need another utility to generate the strings!

With all of the different ouija board layouts, that could be "fun."

|
Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #84
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
After hitting Ctrl-], entering 'C' will close connection and 'O address' will open another without closing the telnet client. Hitting 'Q' will close the client though.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #85
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Here's my first stab at a simulated remote...
That's a pretty good stab, remind me not to meet up with you in a dark alley!!

Is there any way to have it display the current channel being shown?

Another button that might be nice to have is one that brings up the NPL by sending two 'TIVO' signals.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #86
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
Another button that might be nice to have is one that brings up the NPL by sending two 'TIVO' signals.
Just send in a 'TELEPORT NOWPLAYING' or 'IRCODE NOWPLAYING'

~~~~~

Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 PM   #87
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Just send in a 'TELEPORT NOWPLAYING' or 'IRCODE NOWPLAYING'
That works once you replace NOWPLAYING with NOWSHOWING.

And using the remote.py with NOWPLAYING before I saw the difference just caused my TiVo HD to reboot.

I've modified the script lines 32 and 33 to be:

Quote:
buttons = (('Menu', 'TIVO', 0, 1, 0, 1), ('NPL', 'NOWSHOWING', 1, 2, 0, 1),
('Aspect', 'WINDOW', 0, 1, 1, 2),
It works good for getting straight to the NPL now.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #88
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Yikes ... we'll need another utility to generate the strings!

With all of the different ouija board layouts, that could be "fun."
Plus you have to either remember where you're at on the ouija board before the next character, or get the character in, then reverse course back to a known starting place before going for the next character. But I bet it would be cool as hell to watch as those commands stream into the TiVo.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #89
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
That works once you replace NOWPLAYING with NOWSHOWING.

And using the remote.py with NOWPLAYING before I saw the difference just caused my TiVo HD to reboot.
I looked at my list and I have:

IRCODE NOWSHOWING
TELEPORT NOWPLAYING

~~~~~

Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #90
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Here's my first stab at a simulated remote... a Python app that requires GTK.
Ha, cool. I got it working on my Eee PC. Nice.

|