TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #391
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Eh, not quite. I think that was in 9.4. Meanwhile, the port worked without having to turn it on in some earlier versions -- according to Omikron in the first post of this thread, since 9.1. So it seems like it should work with artships' system. I have no experience with PROM-modded TiVo HD's, though.
The feature can be turned off/on from the mothership. Artships should upgrade to a current software release. Normally this would happen automatically if not blocking updates. Running old software on a SA tivo is known to cause problems. As Bullwinkle would say, don't be a moron.

Last edited by JamieP : 03-12-2009 at 07:22 PM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #392
artships

Well, I certainly don't want to be a moron.

Telneted in, echo mls /SwSystem |tivosh showed one partition with 9.2 on it and the other with 11 - Hey, I want that one! I assumed that if bootpage -p showed upgradesoftware=false that I should change it to upgradesoftware=true, so I did:
Code:
set x=`bootpage -p /dev/sda`
set y=`echo "$x" | sed 's/re=false/re=true/'`
bootpage -P "$y" /dev/sda
Rebooted. Oops. Stuck on "Welcome Powering up". Plugged the drive into mfslive and changed it back to false. Still stuck. Through mfslive, bootpage -b said 6, bootpage -f changed it to 3. Still stuck. Bummer.

Oh, and when I mount it from mfslive, the /var/log directory is unhelpfully empty.

Last edited by artships : 03-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
artships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #393
Omikron

Quote:
Originally Posted by artships View Post
Well, I certainly don't want to be a moron.

Telneted in, echo mls /SwSystem |tivosh showed one partition with 9.2 on it and the other with 11 - Hey, I want that one! I assumed that if bootpage -p showed upgradesoftware=false that I should change it to upgradesoftware=true, so I did:
Code:
set x=`bootpage -p /dev/sda`
set y=`echo "$x" | sed 's/re=false/re=true/'`
bootpage "$y" /dev/sda
Rebooted. Oops. Stuck on "Welcome Powering up". Plugged the drive into mfslive and changed it back to false. Still stuck. Through mfslive, bootpage -b said 6, bootpage -f changed it to 3. Still stuck. Bummer.

Oh, and when I mount it from mfslive, the /var/log directory is unhelpfully empty.
Maybe I'm missing something, but did you allow the TiVo to attempt the software update automatically on a hacked unit?

Normally, such an action should result in an unhacked, but usable system.
Omikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #394
JamieP

I'm not convinced your bootpage edit was correct. I use "-P" when I want to change the bootpage kernel parameters.

Flipping to the alternate partitions is never a good idea unless you know you have a working software version there compatible with your MFS. The fact that 11.0b is in /SwSystem does not mean it is installed in the alternate partitions.

Check your bootpage kernel parameters again. If you are never getting past the "Powering up" screen, chances are you just messed something up there.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM   #395
artships

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
I use "-P" when I want to change the bootpage kernel parameters.
So do I, except when I write it here. Sorry. bootpage -p showed I got the command right. I'm not convinced though that it's not a flakey harddrive. Popped the original back in the tivo and it runs fine (ruling out a bad power supply but not ruling out buggered software). I just keep reminind myself I like doing this stuff, mistakes and all. Thanks for you help!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #396
JamieP

I guess it's time to hook up the serial console then. Or start over with a fresh image, let it upgrade, then hack.

It might make sense to take this over to DDB, since it doesn't have much to do with this thread topic anymore.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #397
artships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omikron View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but did you allow the TiVo to attempt the software update automatically on a hacked unit?
If by allow you mean, would really wish it would happen, especially after several forced calls, yes. I came to imagine that upgradesoftware=false inhibits such software updates, hence my mad determination to change it. I know that when I first hooked it up after getting it back from that fabulous guy who fixed it up for me (Thanks!) the first thing it wanted to do with the old disk in it was fetch fresh software (v11 - Woohoo!) and again when I put the old disk back into it this morning (v11.0b, IIRC).

I'll have to kick this around some more this weekend, as fixing the bigger disk is bound to be less time consuming than rescuing all the recordings. And besides, another problem or two and I'll have enough postings to be able to read the links at the bottom of other people's sigs. Now there's something to look forward to. Thanks for you help!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #398
artships

Works now. Had to start over with a later gen06 file that works with the latest tivo software version. Like with most tivo hacks, it's installed and works. Just have to imagine what I want to do with it.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #399
dragontivo

I'm in a little need of help on how to run this remote through Python. I downloaded and installed python, the latest version 3.1a1.

I downloaded the scripts and extracted the remote.pyw and the Zeroconf.py files. I tried running both of them directly but nothing happens.

I also tried opening Python and opening the files from there, and running them. When I do that I get Invalid syntax messages. This is my first time trying to run Python scripts, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, would appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Thanks!
dragontivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #400
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontivo View Post
I'm in a little need of help on how to run this remote through Python. I downloaded and installed python, the latest version 3.1a1.
Yeah, you need to stick to the 2.x series of Python for now. That's true for almost all Python software you'll come across -- don't use 3.x unless specified. Sorry about that; it's a confusing situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM   #401
dragontivo

thanks for the quick response! i switch over and see how it goes.
dragontivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #402
kg08854

I was running this utility - and it was great - had a harddrive crash - trying to download it again, and now you need 10? posts inorder to follow the links? Whats up?
kg08854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #403
kg08854

I know this is anoying. Sorry
Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #404
kg08854

Hopefully I will get to 10 quickly and not bother too manyfolks.

Anyway - I found the remote very useful, at times even more reliable to an IR remote. I see that there is one for the IPHONE - would be nice if I could get it on the ATT tilt.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #405
kg08854

I have also run pytivo, and have found it very useful as well
Old 04-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #406
kg08854

Tried Gallion years ago, but stoped using it after awhile. I have been somewhat sucessful using PYTIVO to watch european video's (DVD's) streamed from one of my old PC's
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #407
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Yeah, it's kind of a weird anti-spam measure that they're doing now. I discovered it by accident recently when I came here with a new browser and hadn't logged in yet. Just one more reason why I need to set up a regular web page for the remote etc. (I already knew that only registered users could download.) Sorry about that.

I have two possible explanations for the restriction against reading URLs in sigs:

1. By letting only regular posters see the URLs, they prevent them from being spidered. Getting Googlebot to spider the links (to increase page rank) is probably the prime reason spammers post nowadays -- they're not actually expecting people here to follow obvious spam links.

2. It's a mistake, and they meant to restrict posting URLs in sigs rather than reading them.

Anyway, if you're going to post just to up your count (which I don't recommend), then you might want to do it in the Test section, where no one will complain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #408
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Anyway, if you're going to post just to up your count (which I don't recommend), then you might want to do it in the Test section, where no one will complain.
Posts in the Test section aren't included in post counts.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #409
cremion

Does anyone know the IRCODE for previous channel by chance (if there is one)? Thanks!
cremion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #410
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremion View Post
Does anyone know the IRCODE for previous channel by chance (if there is one)? Thanks!
Pressing ENTER will go to the previous channel.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #411
cremion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Pressing ENTER will go to the previous channel.
Oh, right...awesome, thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #412
cremion

I don't suppose anyone ever figured out how to work the KEYBOARD command...?
Old 04-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #413
mwhaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
this is the output I get:

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/GroupLayout$Group
	at tivodesktopremote.TiVoDesktopRemoteApp.startup(TiVoDesktopRemoteApp.java:19)
	at org.jdesktop.application.Application$1.run(Application.java:171)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)
Try upgrading to a newer version of java. I upgraded to Java 6 and now I can run this jar.
mwhaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #414
mwhaycraft

Thumbs up Best computer tivo remote over TCP/IP in this thread (world?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhaycraft View Post
Try upgrading to a newer version of java. I upgraded to Java 6 and now I can run this jar.
Then again i'd recommend #384 with python. The text isn't as pretty, but it's full featured.
The keyboard shortcuts make it FASTER then the peanut remote itself!
I also like that the standby button is right there.

Kudos to wmcbrine for creating this program! And at only 741 lines of code, wow that's some powerful stuff!

Last edited by mwhaycraft : 04-24-2009 at 02:50 AM. Reason: errrata
mwhaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #415
cweb

There was some earlier mention of someone potentially doing a javascript version or one that works with the philips pronto professional remotes.

Has anyone progressed on that?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #416
GBTheater
Tivo user since 2000

Pronto and Tivo Series 3

CWEB,
Now you're talking. I've been searching for a couple of days and this thread seems to come the closest to what I'm trying to achieve.
I am a professional custom installer of the Philips Pronto line of controllers and am looking at how I can get 2-way control of Tivo Series 3 units. The Pronto does have 2-way communication ability through IP or RS-232. IP, it seems, would be the preferred method of communication.

So, has anyone out there got anything going yet in this area or am I going to have to try and create this from scratch using the information in this thread? Is there better information anywhere else?

Thanks,
Green Bay Custom Theater LLC
(The ONLY Pronto Level 3 Certified Installer in the United States)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
There was some earlier mention of someone potentially doing a javascript version or one that works with the philips pronto professional remotes.

Has anyone progressed on that?

GBTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #417
GBTheater
Tivo user since 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzand View Post
Regardless of what the second parameter in the response means, what's clear is that this is an absolutely EXCELLENT find!!

This is going to make my Pronto 9600 soooo much better!
PZAND, how is this going to make your Pronto 9600 soooo much better? Have you figured out a way to do 2-way communication using your Pronto?
GBTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #418
sfxc13

Trying to do something similar to this with my hacked series 2 (want to be able to change channels via my pc.) Does anybody know of a way to install this hack onto a series 2 or another way to accomplish this?
sfxc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #419
djl25
C64 hacker

AFAIK this hack does not work with series 2 units. If it's already hacked your best bet is to use sendkeyplus, there's even a module for it in TivoWebPlus 2.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfxc13 View Post
Trying to do something similar to this with my hacked series 2 (want to be able to change channels via my pc.) Does anybody know of a way to install this hack onto a series 2 or another way to accomplish this?

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #420
sfxc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl25 View Post
AFAIK this hack does not work with series 2 units. If it's already hacked your best bet is to use sendkeyplus, there's even a module for it in TivoWebPlus 2.1.
The web remote of tivowebplus is handicapped by its requirement to send each key individually over the web. I'd like an application like this one which could control the sendkey commands quickly. Any thoughts?
sfxc13 is offline   Reply With Quote