TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
ron2010

Problem Series 1 Tivo using MagicJack for Phone Line

I just bought MagicJack with high hopes of being able cancel my $55 monthly LAN line phone, but Tivo Series 1 doesn't like it. It will dial in, but it won't connect. I heard about using a dsl filter, tried it forward and backwards, No Luck. MagicJack, (it works great for talking) but not Tivo Series 1. Changed all kinds of phone settings on the Tivo and the MagicJack, again No Luck. I just read about The TurboNET Ethernet Adapter Card that plugs on to the Series 1 motherboard that hooks to a wired network for internet downloads of guide Info, but I have four Series 1 Tivo's with Lifetime Service I am not willing to give up yet and dont want to buy four TurboNET Ethernet Adapter Cards. Anybody out there have a lower-tech solution. Any Help would be appreciated.
ron2010

http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm
ron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
ciper

I found the solution. Read about it here http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/0...eula-says.html
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron2010 View Post
I just bought MagicJack with high hopes of being able cancel my $55 monthly LAN line phone,
The V in VOIP stand for voice for a reason.
It may be possible that your land (not LAN btw) line phone company could offer a low rate fax/data only line.
If that's not possible, the good news is that you'll only have to pay $280 for four turbonet cards and maybe an additional $24 for four connect kits to get your Tivos back in business.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
classicsat
Astute User

You can look into Serial PPP. Easy to do for one TiVo, but a bit of doing for four.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

You could try slowing down the connection speed. It may not help at all, but it's worth a try.
From: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=122090
Quote:
8. Dialing codes
Want to change the way your Tivo calls home? Read on. All these codes are inserted into the dialing prefix space in the Phone Setup stuff.

,#034 - This will limit the speed of the modem to v.34 (28.8k) which may improve your connections if you have poor lines. If you have a lot of failed calls, this might help. Makes the call take about twice as long, in theory.

,#019 - Same concept as above, but slower. If the above won't work, try this. But beware that it will seriously slow down the connection and make the call that much longer. Like 4 times longer than normal, approximately.
Don't forget the comma.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
ron2010

I greatly appreciate all of the Info Thank You.
Oh by the way, I really did not know that (The V in VOIP stand for voice)
This internet calling stuff is new to me. Thanks again.

ron2010

Last edited by ron2010 : 04-24-2008 at 09:00 PM.
ron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
ochophosphate

Any Luck Ron?

I'm having a similar issue. It Prepares, and I can see MJ dialing, but I never connect or update.

Luckily I only have one series 1 Tivo... so a fix for me will be a lot easier. Just wanted to check.
ochophosphate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #8
nedflanders

Anybody have any luck with this, if not me and my tivo 1 are sol.
nedflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
classicsat
Astute User

Consider serial PPP.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
lonewoolf47

Any recent updates to this thread?
lonewoolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
CKarpa

Smile

I have been researching many blogs and community forums....I also have 4 Tivo's - from series 1 - to HD....
Recently I switched to VOIP with Time Warner NYC. Most of the people moving from analog to digital voice in the forums were Vonnage customers. I tried many things - not wishing to have the added expense of turbonet. And this worked for me.
I purchased a RCA Wireless Portable Phone Jack RC940 at Radio shack for about $60. They also have them at Best Buy.
Then I adjusted the phone calling settings using ,#034
Called my local cable number
Takes a while to update. But it works....
Hope this saves you the trial and error I had.
Enjoy!
Carol
CKarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
jfcannon

CKarpa,

Let me make sure I understand your post correctly. You plugged your Tivo directly into your new VoIP with Time Warner and the Tivo couldn't connect to update its TV schedule, even if you used the ,#034 prefix. Then you plugged your Tivo into the wireless portable phone jack which connected via that jack to your VoIP with Time Warner, used the ,#034 prefix and the Tivo was able to update OK. In other words the only difference between failure and success is you sent the signal via the wireless portable phone jack? Have I got it right?

I don't see why it should make any difference whether you go through a wireless phone jack or not, but if you confirm that's what happened, I'll give it a try. Has anyone tried this with magicJack?

Last edited by jfcannon : 02-16-2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more.
jfcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
bosanci28

so will this "RCA Wireless Portable Phone Jack RC940"
work for tivo series 1 with magicjack?

thanks!
bosanci28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosanci28 View Post
so will this "RCA Wireless Portable Phone Jack RC940"
work for tivo series 1 with magicjack?

thanks!
I'm guessing that the wireless phone jack slowed down the connection enough for it to work.

If your Series 1's internal modem is still working (they're notorious for getting fried by the least little spike on the phone line*), then if you can find a way to make it slow down you can save yourself the cost of the wireless jack system.

Or you could research "tivo external modem", and learn how to use the TiVo's serial port to connect to an external modem and how to put in a dial prefix in the telephone settings of the TiVo that will make it use the external modem at the speed you specify. That way you don't have to worry about the internal modem going bad.

Of course, that's assuming that slowing down the connection is what allowed that guy's TiVo to work with Voice Over Internet Protocol.

As someone who lives where we get hurricanes, I like having a "regular" telephone fed by an underground line from a central office with its own power supply so that when the electricity, and the nearest cell phone towers, and the cable (and therefore the internet) are out, I can still pick up the house phone and make a call.

*You should tie a knot in each end of the phone line plugged into the back of the TiVo. At the extremely high frequencies of a voltage spike induced on the phone line it has enough inductance to act as a filter and reduce the level of the spike.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote