Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #31
shady
We have chickens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Well in Cupertino BSG wasn't pixelating but it wasn't UHD quality either it was as mentioned before DVD quality.

When are going to get guide data. Arrgh. I don't remember it ever taking this long.
We have guide data a few miles north in Belmont.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #32
coltrane

some new channels now, some old ones missing

In Richmond on Comcast with cable cards, we got the new channels last week however now have lost the Nat Geo channel. It is still in the guide, still on selected channels but when we select it we are getting a black screen and a message saying we do not have it available.
We also show SciFi in the guide but nothing but a black screen there too.

FWIW, we are getting the Food Channel (as well the others mentioned) but as with TBS HD the aspect seems to be 4:3 stretched to the 16:9 signal and resolution seems the same as std definition.

Anyone else have the same issues?

(I am loathe to contact Comcast as I've seen issues like this get handled over time and the kind contact folk on the phone usually are completely clueless.)
coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #33
vutng103

Channel Listing - Bay Area, CA

Came home drunk from the Kanye West concert late last night around 1 am, powered up my TV and to my amazement, all the channels and shows are listed for the new HD channels. So all is good here in SJ...

Now if Comcast can just get us up with FX and SPIKE, I'll be one happy customer...
Sony Playstation 3 - 80GB
Monster HDMI & Digital Fiber Optic cables
Comcast Digital w/ MS card
vutng103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #34
holmete
Gadget Guru

Question RE: Few extra not listed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmwright View Post
I can confirm that I received many new channels as well and a few extra not listed in the first post. I live in the 94531 Zip code which is the East Bay Antioch area.
What extra (not listed) channels did you get?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #35
johnf@home

The new channels turned up in South San Jose (95123) this weekend.

One thing I've noticed - SCiFiHD appears to be on the Eastern time zone. This means that programs we record using a wishlist will generally record off ScFiHD, as the program shows up there 3 hours before it shows up on ScFiP.

Now I want Speed and BBC America in HD ...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 AM   #36
yew

I am in Cupertino. foodhd and cnnhd just showed up on the channel guide this weekend.

Yes, I want Speed HD too!
yew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #37
stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf@home View Post
The new channels turned up in South San Jose (95123) this weekend.

One thing I've noticed - SCiFiHD appears to be on the Eastern time zone. This means that programs we record using a wishlist will generally record off ScFiHD, as the program shows up there 3 hours before it shows up on ScFiP.

Now I want Speed and BBC America in HD ...
I've noticed that on many of the HD channels, in the evening the shows are on both an east coast and west coast schedule (show that normally airs @ 9 PM, will air @ 6 & 9 PM, for example).

Also want Speed in HD! And Spike.
stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
Kenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
... with TBS HD the aspect seems to be 4:3 stretched to the 16:9 signal and resolution seems the same as std definition.
Welcome to Comcast "HD". Sadly, cable TV's bitrates seem to be falling as they cram more channels into a fixed-bandwidth pipe. Even the mainstream media seems to be taking notice.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #39
stargazer_guy

Yeah, the picture quality of Battlestar was aweful this weekend. I would have preferred to watch a high quality SD version rather than this crappy HD version. If Comcast doesn't improve things soon then I'll bail.

On a brighter note, I watched "I am Legend" in HD on my Apple TV this weekend. Holy cow! The quality was excellent. I'm glad to see that Apple doesn't compromise on picture quality. Let's hope they get Battlestar on Apple TV soon.
stargazer_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #40
Evilmonkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltrane View Post
In Richmond on Comcast with cable cards, we got the new channels last week however now have lost the Nat Geo channel. It is still in the guide, still on selected channels but when we select it we are getting a black screen and a message saying we do not have it available.
We also show SciFi in the guide but nothing but a black screen there too.

FWIW, we are getting the Food Channel (as well the others mentioned) but as with TBS HD the aspect seems to be 4:3 stretched to the 16:9 signal and resolution seems the same as std definition.

Anyone else have the same issues?

(I am loathe to contact Comcast as I've seen issues like this get handled over time and the kind contact folk on the phone usually are completely clueless.)
I am in Richmond as well(out by the marina). NGHD is showing black for me, as well as UHD(739). SciFiHD and the other new HD channels are all working fine, although AnimalPlanetHD initially showed up in the 800s in Tivo, but didn't work. I found it at channel 769. It's working there but there is no guide data or channel identification for it.

Just before the 15th I had a technician come out to check why UHD wasn't working when it should. He determined that although my residence is in Richmond, I should have been on the El Cerrito lineup. He had the head office change some info on my account and hit the box. That worked and UHD began working again. A couple days later it stopped working again. I called Comcast again and they said they would send another hit to my box but it was backlogged by a half hour or more. I don't think it ever made it or if it did, it didn't work. Such a PITA.

Something else of note. We were originally on the Digital Silver package but I guess they went through a naming/restructure change at some point. We had HBO/Encore as part of our package. I think when they made those changes to our account they put us in one of the newer packages because now we are getting all the Starz channels as well. I'll have to keep an eye on our next bill to see if they are charging us any more.
Evilmonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #41
sammydee

I watched SciFiHD's first-run Battlestar last Friday in zip code 95119, and the picture quality really sucked.

Whenever the camera panned across the screen, everything got amazingly fuzzy. When the camera was still, things usually looked OK.

But every once in a while I'd get nearly horizontal streaks of wildly mis-colored macroblocks across the screen. These were in the original bitstream - I could single-frame through the sections and the artifacts were there on every playing.

For this next week, I will record Battlestar both in HD and SD. If the HD isn't any better, then I unfortunately may just record the SD version in the future - the artifacts were THAT bad. I can live with the fuzzy panning, but not with the streaks.

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #42
stargazer_guy

Uggh. Battlestar picture quality was just as bad this week. Does Comcast really think we don't care? They greatly under estimate the need for a high quality SciFi channel.
stargazer_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #43
CharlesH

But the marketing target is "we have more HD channels than <insert competitor here>". The picture quality is irrelevant in this context.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #44
sammydee

Yeah, the picture quality for Battlestar in HD in 95119 wasn't any better this week. Fortunately this week's episode of Battlestar sucked so badly that my anger was directed towards the writers, not towards Comcast.

I'll give it another week. But the streaks of corrupted macroblocks were still there this week, big time.

Actually, Food HD is starting to bug me even more. On several Food shows - Guy's Big Bite in particular - panning literally makes me nauseous. There is a fisheye lens effect to pans ... the outer edges of the screen pan faster than the center. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't notice this behavior on other HD channels. So long as the camera doesn't pan things look good. The effect occurs for either horizontal or vertical pans.

...Sam
sammydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #45
steinercat

Getting all the HD channels clear in 94404.

Just wondering though....does Comcast throw in Starz for a period when you get HBO?

I don't remember signing up for Starz....but its there.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote