TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #1
m_jonis

Anyone ever hear back from the FCC?

So our local TW is still setting CCI byte = 0x02 on the local digital channels (the ONLY ones they've set to 0x00 are the HD locals.) The NON-HD locals are still 0x02

I filed a complaint with the local franchise authority (New York State public service commission) who said that was outside of their authority and forwarded onto the FCC.

I also filed a separate complaint with the FCC.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a response? Has anyone ever gotten a response from the FCC?
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
mattack

I'm not sure about the FCC, but other people here have talked about successfully complaining to their local cable authority and getting the problem fixed.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
philwojo

I have not dealt with the FCC on this issue, but a few years ago I filed a complaint with them against my HOA for letting me have the ability to mount my antenna. It took several months to get a reply back from them, it is not a quick process. I would assume this would probably be similar.
Samsung DLP (HL-S6187W) HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
philwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Combat Medic
No guts, no glory

I've heard back from the FCC. They said that they don't agree with my assement about SDV being contrary to their rules.

-Mike
Combat Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
So our local TW is still setting CCI byte = 0x02 on the local digital channels (the ONLY ones they've set to 0x00 are the HD locals.) The NON-HD locals are still 0x02

I filed a complaint with the local franchise authority (New York State public service commission) who said that was outside of their authority and forwarded onto the FCC.

I also filed a separate complaint with the FCC.

Anyone know how long it takes to get a response? Has anyone ever gotten a response from the FCC?
Thanks for doing that. I hope it helps.

I wrote to HDNET asking about their position and outlining the whole TiVo scenario with transfers... Never heard back. If enough people chip in or one person really kicks it into gear, some improvements will occur.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Medic View Post
I've heard back from the FCC. They said that they don't agree with my assement about SDV being contrary to their rules.

-Mike
That's because you don't have a lobby or take enough congressmen out for lunch...
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
I wrote to HDNET asking about their position and outlining the whole TiVo scenario with transfers... Never heard back. If enough people chip in or one person really kicks it into gear, some improvements will occur.
I asked HDNet about Time-Warner marking HDNet and HDNet Movies as 0x02, contrary to HDNet's policy. I received a reply within one day:

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer@hd.net
Hi-

We have been in contact with TW regarding this issue. They are aware of the problem and are working to correct it.

We will also pass your note onto them for follow up.

Thanks!
That was several weeks ago, but I've seen no change with TWC.

TTYL
David
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
TexasGrillChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo View Post
Thanks for doing that. I hope it helps.

Apparently you wrote to the wrong person.

However, The fact that I am in Dallas & Mark Cuban (one of the owners of HDNet) is a proffesional associate of mine. I had asked him a similar question about this in the past.

HDNet does not request or have in its contract with ANY cable company to "Copy protect" any of it's programs. HDnet does not "Copy Protect" any of it's programs from their production facilities.

HOWEVER.... The Cable companies CAN at THEIR discretion Copy protect their channel if they choose too.

TGC
TexasGrillChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

Ooh, boy. I filed a complaint with them in December. I never heard back. Just today I got a call back from my cable provider (Brighthouse) who just got forwarded the complaint (which has been resolved long before).

I love my tax dollars at work.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

I just got a response letter from the FCC regarding my complaint. I filed it sometime in March. Their letter just says that they are reviewing my complaint and will contact me if additional information is needed.

My complaint? Copy protection flags (the 0x02 flag) on most of my digital channels. ESPN, BBCA, Disc, NickToons, TVLand, etc, etc. Comcast, without merit, broke my use of MRV.

Well, who knows what will come of it. I already cancelled service with Comcast because of it.
20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
m_jonis

Thanks for the info. I'll see what happens (mine was sent in like Feb.)
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Got a call from Comcast today. The rep said he was calling about the FCC complaint I had made. I confirmed with him that I had canceled all Comcast services since that filing (primarily due to that complaint).

I went over the issue with him (0x02 on basically all digital channels). He said he had to talk with an engineer and get back with me as to why they had made that 'executive' decision. Yes, he called it an 'executive' decision.

I wonder if I will get to talk with an executive about it. The only thing 'executive' about it is that it successfully 'executed' my customer relationship with them.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
Flyinace2000

I complained to the NJ State site and i got a call from Verizon (twice) and post card frm an investigator who will keep me in the loop on what he finds.
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

I just got another call from Comcast today. Even though they know I canceled services with them over the copy protection issue, it's impressive that they have kept focus on this issue.

Anyway, the escalation rep told me that they would be implementing changes later this week that would once again allow copy freely on the non-premium digital channels. That would mean that my use of MRV and TTG would return. He said that they had indeed set copy once flags on those digital channels, and there was a mistake in doing so.

Since I no longer have Comcast, I have no way of checking to see if they do fix this. My Mother has TiVo/cablecard/Comcast setup, so I could check with her to see if the copy once has been removed and replaced with copy freely.

There is another thread that is concerning Houston and this issue. I might double post this just so I can check with fellow Houston TiVo/cablecard/Comcast users to see if they notice the change.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #15
mattack

Maybe it's enough to go back to Comcast? maybe they'll give you a special deal for a while because of the hassle?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Maybe it's enough to go back to Comcast? maybe they'll give you a special deal for a while because of the hassle?
Maybe I'll go back to them. I'm going to do my own research to see if they have really corrected the issue. A special deal would be fine, only if it does not include some kind of committment. I'd rather pay full-fare to keep my options open.

I've got the TiVo units in my house hooked up to OTA only, and I've got U-Verse as a replacement to Comcast right now. Do I like U-Verse, not really. But as part of my canceling Comcast, I dropped their broadband as well. I've got broadband through U-Verse as part of their package. I actually like U-Verse broadband DSL better. I'm getting 6Mb down and 1Mb up.

If I go back to Comcast, it will be only for TV. Then I'll drop U-Verse TV, but keep their broadband DSL service.

Then, if FiOS ever comes to my area, I'll move everything to them. And hopefully be done with it all.