TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Seattlesun

Tivo and Magicjack

Well...I bit on a late night infomercial (for the first time) and tried Magicjack...VOIP for $20 setup and $20 a year...and it works!

But not with Tivo. It won't connect or configure. I tried a couple of the Vonage dial prefix tricks and connected once but couldn't configure.

Anyone else figure this one out yet?

I have a Tivo Series 2 (stand alone) and connect with a cable modem.

Thanks!
Seattlesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
nirisahn

If you have a series 2 and a cable modem, why can't you connect directly to the network? I don't know anything about Magicjack, but if it connects like other VoIP equipment, you have the modem first, then the router (if you're using one) and then everything else connects to the router. If you can't connect to the network via the Magicjack equipment, can't you put a router in the sequence and connect to that?
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Seattlesun

I'm not sure if you're talking about a wired or wireless network, but I don't have one (trying to avoid going that route, but I may have to).

Magicjack is a usb device that plugs into a usb outlet and you plug your phone directly into the other end of the usb device. It gives you a dialtone just like a phone and you use your phone the same way. Sounds weird...it is but it works.

Last edited by Seattlesun : 04-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
nirisahn

Yes, you'll probably have to go the wired route. Or wireless if your TiVo is too far from the router to use a network cable. Wireless really isn't difficult to set up, and if you're not familiar with securing a wireless network, I'll bet anything one of your friends knows how and can help you. It will also mean that your TiVo will no longer tie up your phone. Just something to think about.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
ciper

Seattlesun : Have you considered a powerline adapter?
ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesun View Post
I'm not sure if you're talking about a wired or wireless network, but I don't have one (trying to avoid going that route, but I may have to).
Since you already have a cable modem, why not go for a network?

Routers are cheap...you can often get them on sale for as little as $20 new. Or search eBay and you can get them for similar prices.

Today's routers are very easy to set up. Once you plug everything in, from your computer's internet browser you type in the router's default IP address to access the router's settings. Often it's printed on a label somewhere on the router itself, if not it should be in the instructions.

Cable modem is the easiest to set up as it usually doesn't require a log-in. Even if it does like with DSL/PPPoE, you store those settings in the router's firmware.

As far as wired vs. wireless, wired is definitely the easiest. Most wireless routers will have wired ports as well, usually 3-4, so don't limit your search for just wired routers. Using wired is almost always a Plug and Play affair, if you have a Series 2 Dual Tuner there is already an ethernet jack on the back. If yours is a single tuner model, all you'll need is a USB to ethernet adapter. Not all adapters will work with TiVo, check the TiVo website or this forum for recommended models.

If running ethernet cable between the router and TiVo is not practical, you will need to set up a wireless network. The Series 2 can use a greater variety of USB wireless adapters than the later models, but if you want to use the more secure WPA encryption, you will need to use the official TiVo Wireless Adapter. Or, as someone else already pointed out, use a Powerline adapter. These plug into your wall outlets and use your house wiring like a really big ethernet network.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Seattlesun

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I've never heard of powerline adapters...something else to look into.

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
dylanemcgregor

One other thing to think about when considering putting your TiVo on a network is that you will then have access to a lot of other features on the TiVo. Things like downloading movies from Amazon directly to the TiVo, access to music and photos that are on your computer via your TV, etc...

There are a lot of other network features you get, some of which are cool, and some which will probably be useless to you...but you should at least check it out to see if there is anything you might be interested in.
dylanemcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote