TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #751
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17z View Post
Still looking for an image for a sony svr-3000. My hard drive died. Thanks.
Here's one for $50, with spare parts and 2 remotes included.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/2747250823.html

Of course, unless this thing has a lifetime sub they forgot to mention, their opinion of the unit's worth is a topic on which they'll need re-educating.

(There are people giving away dual tuner S2s)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #752
Redoctobyr

Could anyone help me get an image for a TCD 24004A? Thank you.
Redoctobyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #753
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoctobyr View Post
Could anyone help me get an image for a TCD 24004A? Thank you.
If you can use either of these

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post8707432

you're morally obligated to download both, to help keep them "in play" for the next person.

One's for restoring using the MFS Live cd and the other is for restoring with WinMFS.

Both are for the 24008A, which means you need at least an 80GB Maxtor (they had a slightly larger LBA number than the WD 80GB drives) or larger.

It's the same software, it's just that the image is of an installation with bigger MFS partitions.

If you want to use an up to 1TB SATA drive, read the adapter thread first.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

(If you have to restore to the original 40GB drive, but can borrow or otherwise temporarily use a larger drive, let me know, there's something we can try)

Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #754
Redoctobyr

Moral obligations completed, both are downloading. Thank you for the links. I had seen those mentioned, but did not realize I could use them for my TiVo, thanks. I will be restoring to an >80GB disk, so that should work fine.

FWIW, I have a Rosewill RC-203 SATA->IDE adapter which has been working very nicely for me, I was using it on a 640GB SATA disk.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
Redoctobyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #755
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoctobyr View Post
Moral obligations completed, both are downloading. Thank you for the links. I had seen those mentioned, but did not realize I could use them for my TiVo, thanks. I will be restoring to an >80GB disk, so that should work fine.

FWIW, I have a Rosewill RC-203 SATA->IDE adapter which has been working very nicely for me, I was using it on a 640GB SATA disk.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!
Then, if you haven't already, go to the adapter thread and document exactly which adapter with exactly which chipset is working for you on exactly which drive(s) in exactly which TiVo, for the benefit of future searchers.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #756
vsaltv

I really need a series 1 standalone image. Like an HDR112 or similar. Got a series 1 with no hard drive (must have removed it years ago and forgot about it). I bought instantcake years ago but I can't find the dang CD now. Thanks for the help.
vsaltv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #757
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaltv View Post
I really need a series 1 standalone image. Like an HDR112 or similar. Got a series 1 with no hard drive (must have removed it years ago and forgot about it). I bought instantcake years ago but I can't find the dang CD now. Thanks for the help.
Is your S1 a Philips or a Sony?

Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #758
vsaltv

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is your S1 a Philips or a Sony?
Philips
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #759
unitron

Quote:
Philips
I might be able to help you in a few days if no one else comes to the rescue first.

In the meantime, read the adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

in case you want to put a decent sized drive in there.

Short version, only a Marvell chipset based adapter will work in an S1, and a Caviar Blue, SATA or PATA/IDE, either one, will not work in an S1.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #760
vsaltv

please help if you can, I would really appreciate. I only need it so it can make a call to tivo to prove I have the unit to them so i can activate new lifetime service at the discount price. Wish I could remember why I took out the hard drive to begin with.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #761
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
please help if you can, I would really appreciate. I only need it so it can make a call to tivo to prove I have the unit to them so i can activate new lifetime service at the discount price. Wish I could remember why I took out the hard drive to begin with.
I have a working image (WINMFS) for the S1 Philips but it is over 6GB in size so I can't post it like I can with my other images. If no one else can get one to you, I would be willing to copy it to an 8GB flash drive or SDHC card if you send it to me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #762
vsaltv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I have a working image (WINMFS) for the S1 Philips but it is over 6GB in size so I can't post it like I can with my other images. If no one else can get one to you, I would be willing to copy it to an 8GB flash drive or SDHC card if you send it to me.
If i set up an ftp would you be able to upload it to me? I really hope so
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #763
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
If i set up an ftp would you be able to upload it to me? I really hope so
I haven't tried that but would be willing to give it a go. I'll PM my e-mail address so you can send the necessary info to me. You won't be able to PM until you get at least 10 posts.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #764
unitron

Quote:
That's like double huge for an S1 image, did you include a bunch of shows or something?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #765
vsaltv

Quote:
I haven't tried that but would be willing to give it a go. I'll PM my e-mail address so you can send the necessary info to me. You won't be able to PM until you get at least 10 posts.
I sent the mail.. can you believe i've been a member here for like what 6 yrs and still can't send a PM lol

not to mention when i first signed up i could send PMs, they must have taken it away
Old 12-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #766
vsaltv

Quote:
That's like double huge for an S1 image, did you include a bunch of shows or something?
I wouldn't mind if it was 10 gig heh, I am so happy to get an image!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #767
unitron

Quote:
If you have a universal remote that'll do both Sony and Philips TiVos, then burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd (not WinMFS) and download the Sony image from this link

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post6228202

and restore it onto a non-Caviar Blue drive of at least 30GB, no need for the -x option to expand for your purposes, and do not use the -p option either, because that's only for S2s and newer. While you're at it, skip the -z option as well.

[Also, if you use a drive larger than 128GB or 137GB, depending how you figure GB, I'm not sure if you'll need to run copykern (it's on a different cd, though. I can walk you through where to get it and how to how to use it to patch the kernel if that's necessary) to make the kernel LBA48 aware or not, since you won't be expanding.

We'll just have to wait and see on that one, but only if you use a drive that goes over the limit.]

That'll get the Philips up and running, and it's version 3 of the software so you can use a TurboNet card or a CacheCard to connect over the internet, or for telephone line connection an external modem (or use a program called pilotnet to connect to a 9 pin serial port on a computer with an internal modem and use that) if necessary (S1 modems are notorious for getting killed by spikes other equipment never notices).

Once we get your immediate problem solved we can work on getting you a proper Philips image for it later.
I think you'll have to use the Sony remote codes to control it.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #768
vsaltv

Quote:
If you have a universal remote that'll do both Sony and Philips TiVos, then burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd (not WinMFS) and download the Sony image from this link

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...02#post6228202

and restore it onto a non-Caviar Blue drive of at least 30GB, no need for the -x option to expand for your purposes, and do not use the -p option either, because that's only for S2s and newer. While you're at it, skip the -z option as well.

[Also, if you use a drive larger than 128GB or 137GB, depending how you figure GB, I'm not sure if you'll need to run copykern (it's on a different cd, though. I can walk you through where to get it and how to how to use it to patch the kernel if that's necessary) to make the kernel LBA48 aware or not, since you won't be expanding.

We'll just have to wait and see on that one, but only if you use a drive that goes over the limit.]

That'll get the Philips up and running, and it's version 3 of the software so you can use a TurboNet card or a CacheCard to connect over the internet, or for telephone line connection an external modem (or use a program called pilotnet to connect to a 9 pin serial port on a computer with an internal modem and use that) if necessary (S1 modems are notorious for getting killed by spikes other equipment never notices).

Once we get your immediate problem solved we can work on getting you a proper Philips image for it later.
I think you'll have to use the Sony remote codes to control it.
is it ok if the universal remote is infrared only? I have a few tivo brand remotes.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #769
unitron

Quote:
is it ok if the universal remote is infrared only? I have a few tivo brand remotes.
Almost all remotes are infrared only, unless you're talking about those expensive things.

When I say universal remote, I'm not talking about one of those $100-$300 things with more buttons than a fabric store, just a 3 or 4 device $10 to $20 type.

The Tivo brand remotes will run an S1 Philips-made TiVo, provided that it's running the S1 software intended for Philips-made TiVos, but we're going to be running Sony-made TiVo S1 software on that Philips-made S1 TiVo, so we need something that can do the Sony TiVo remote codes*, and a universal is cheaper and easier to lay your hands on than an actual Sony TiVo remote.

*There was also one Sony Series 2 TiVo.

Please note that if you got hold of a Philips S1 image, you won't need something that does Sony S1 codes. Only if you use that Sony image I linked to will you have to use the Sony remote codes.

If you use a Philips S1 image, any of those TiVo remotes you have should work just fine.

Now, what kind of hard drive are you going to be using?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #770
vsaltv

Quote:
Now, what kind of hard drive are you going to be using?
Let me look (trying to get 10 relevant posts heh)
OK I got a Seagate 10gb 9w1001 (will edit post when i find more hdd's they are everywhere)
Next is a Maxtor 5.7gb 90576d4
Next a Maxtor 200gb BAH41E00

I think that's all my old IDE style drives. I could also pull I believe a 40gb out of my DirectTivo unit if need be but would rather leave that along seeing how difficult it is to get images these days.

Can I expand the sony image on a 200gb drive but keep the partition under 137gb limit?

Last edited by vsaltv : 12-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #771
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
No shows but it does have all of my Guide data (didn't know about Clear and Delete Everything back then). I did it two different times, about a month apart, on the same 14GB original drive. If I still had the drive I'd put it back in, do a C&DE and try again. As of now the only one I have available to pull an image from is an 80GB drive. It has always mystified me as to why the S1 image is so huge compared to the S2 and S3 images I've pulled. I tried to get an answer from Spike some time ago but I think he has quit replying to posts.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #772
vsaltv

Quote:
No shows but it does have all of my Guide data (didn't know about Clear and Delete Everything back then). I did it two different times, about a month apart, on the same 14GB original drive. If I still had the drive I'd put it back in, do a C&DE and try again. As of now the only one I have available to pull an image from is an 80GB drive. It has always mystified me as to why the S1 image is so huge compared to the S2 and S3 images I've pulled. I tried to get an answer from Spike some time ago but I think he has quit replying to posts.
Wish I could send you a faster internet so you can send the image to me :P I think you are the last guy on earth who can properly restore a S1
Old 12-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #773
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Wish I could send you a faster internet so you can send the image to me :P I think you are the last guy on earth who can properly restore a S1
If I have time later today I can pull the 80GB drive from my remaining S1, restore the old 14GB image without expanding, do a CD&E, and then try to capture a new image. If that doesn't work then I know a guy who collects old computer parts who may be willing to loan me a 15 or 20GB drive to image. I really don't think I'm the last guy able to image S1's but I'm late to the Tivo party and did a lot of messing around with four S1's before I moved up so my experiences are relatively fresh.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #774
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Quote:
If I have time later today I can pull the 80GB drive from my remaining S1, restore the old 14GB image without expanding, do a CD&E, and then try to capture a new image. If that doesn't work then I know a guy who collects old computer parts who may be willing to loan me a 15 or 20GB drive to image. I really don't think I'm the last guy able to image S1's but I'm late to the Tivo party and did a lot of messing around with four S1's before I moved up so my experiences are relatively fresh.
Did all the stuff I mentioned above and sent you an e-mail with a link to the new image. The C&DE cut the file size down to about 130 MB.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 AM   #775
unitron

Quote:
Let me look (trying to get 10 relevant posts heh)
OK I got a Seagate 10gb 9w1001 (will edit post when i find more hdd's they are everywhere)
Next is a Maxtor 5.7gb 90576d4
Next a Maxtor 200gb BAH41E00

I think that's all my old IDE style drives. I could also pull I believe a 40gb out of my DirectTivo unit if need be but would rather leave that along seeing how difficult it is to get images these days.

Can I expand the sony image on a 200gb drive but keep the partition under 137gb limit?
What you can do with the Sony image is use MFS Live to restore it to a drive 30GB or larger without expanding, and that'll be enough to let that S1 contact the mothership and re-assert the lifetime sub to qualify you for Multi-Set Discount, or MSD. But you'll need something that outputs the Sony remote codes.

If you want to do more than that, like keep using the S1 as a TiVo, you can go ahead with the Sony image now, on the 200GB Maxtor, and then we can talk about putting a Philips image on it later, (and how you'll need to learn how to unlock the drive) and using the copykern utility to patch the kernel to make it LBA48 aware.

If you already have a Philips image, then either MFS Live or WinMFS, depending on which was used to make the image, can restore it, as 30GB of space used, to that 200Gb, and then we can use copykern, and then we can expand. If you do that, suggest you specify a swap partition size of 100 to 128 MB during the initial restore and do not use the "optimized" partition layout (which is only for Series 2 and newer models, and only confuses an S1).

Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #776
vsaltv

Can I image to a 200gb IDE drive but use a smaller than 137gb partition on it so i can get this box up and running? Or any use of a 200gb drive require a kernel patch regardless of partition size?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #777
unitron

Quote:
Can I image to a 200gb IDE drive but use a smaller than 137gb partition on it so i can get this box up and running? Or any use of a 200gb drive require a kernel patch regardless of partition size?
Either the Sony image I linked to or any S1 Philips image you're likely to get will restore as 30GB worth of partitions.

Just don't expand (which on a TiVo drive means adding partitions) until after you've run copykern.

And don't run copykern until I tell you how.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #778
vsaltv

Thank you very much, so what you're saying is as long as I don't expand that image past its original partition size, i should be good to go to boot up on the 200gb drive I'll post my results of this imaging once completed.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #779
unitron

Quote:
Thank you very much, so what you're saying is as long as I don't expand that image past its original partition size, i should be good to go to boot up on the 200gb drive I'll post my results of this imaging once completed.
Yeah, the Series 1 TiVo hardware can handle drives up to about 1TB (which means a SATA drive with a Marvell chipset based SATA/IDE adapter).

It's the TiVo's software that has the problem until you patch the kernel.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #780
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Either the Sony image I linked to or any S1 Philips image you're likely to get will restore as 30GB worth of partitions.

Just don't expand (which on a TiVo drive means adding partitions) until after you've run copykern.

And don't run copykern until I tell you how.
Quote:
The new S1 Philips image I pointed you to has 14GB of partitions. That's the smallest drive they put into one of those boxes. I didn't have a small drive to burn it to (to see if the 60+GB Apple Free partition would cause WINMFS to barf) but then I remembered that I had a 16GB SDHC card. WINMFS had no problem with it.