Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #631
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by befaythful View Post
Hi,
Would someone please PM me links to images for my TCD652160. I'm scared it's the power supply as I have no luck (once i get to powering up, i'm stuck)..i've tried backing up that drive and restoring to another...but no good...sounds like there is no spinning going on.

I figured it couldn't hurt to try someone else's image. I'm using a usb docking station with my drive and WinMFS.

Thanks for a link!
Do you get the welcome screen, but it doesn't proceed to the just a few more minutes screen?

Have you tried any kickstart codes yet?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #632
befaythful

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you get the welcome screen, but it doesn't proceed to the just a few more minutes screen?

Have you tried any kickstart codes yet?
I get the initial powering up screen which just cycles over and over (only getting the green light on the front. I have not been able to use the pause button to access anything. Initially, I took the hard drive out, backed it up, and ran bootfix. It then appeared to work and came on, but when I woke the next morning it was once again cycling through the power up screen (never making it to the almost there screen)

Since then, nothing I do works. I also tried restoring from the 160gb to a 250 that i have but it still does the same cycle.
befaythful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #633
unitron

Quote:
I get the initial powering up screen which just cycles over and over (only getting the green light on the front. I have not been able to use the pause button to access anything. Initially, I took the hard drive out, backed it up, and ran bootfix. It then appeared to work and came on, but when I woke the next morning it was once again cycling through the power up screen (never making it to the almost there screen)

Since then, nothing I do works. I also tried restoring from the 160gb to a 250 that i have but it still does the same cycle.
How long is the initial screen on the screen before it reboots?

When you say you ran bootfix, are you talking about the thing built into WinMFS or something else?

Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #634
befaythful

Quote:
How long is the initial screen on the screen before it reboots?

When you say you ran bootfix, are you talking about the thing built into WinMFS or something else?
Yeah, I ran the WinFMS Fix bootpage tool.
It is usually on the initial screen for about a minute before it restarts.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #635
unitron

Quote:
Yeah, I ran the WinFMS Fix bootpage tool.
It is usually on the initial screen for about a minute before it restarts.
Run WinMFS, select the drive, click on mfsinfo, see if your booting from 3 and 4 or 6 and 7.

If 3 and 4, do bootfix option 2 to change it to 6 and 7, if 6 and 7, do option 1 to change it to 3 and 4.

Try the drive in the TiVo.

If no joy, put the opened TiVo near an opened computer with the drive in between, unplug the SATA data cable that goes to the drive from the TiVo motherboard, plug in a known good SATA data cable between the TiVo motherboard and the drive, and run a SATA power lead from the computer to the drive.

Boot the computer (you don't need the computer itself exactly, you just need the power supply to spin up the TiVo drive), make sure the drive is spinning, then boot the TiVo (best way, get a power strip with a switch to plug just the TiVo power cord into and use the switch to boot it).

If that works, or makes any kind of difference, it's time to learn about capacitor disease and examine the TiVo's power supply very closely.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #636
nmtbb

Hello all,
Can someone PM a link to an image for TCD652160? I tried to pull a backup from my failing unit and it just gives an error that says "Error Reading from zonemap!" If anyone can point me to an image it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by nmtbb : 10-30-2011 at 07:14 PM.
nmtbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #637
befaythful

Quote:
Run WinMFS, select the drive, click on mfsinfo, see if your booting from 3 and 4 or 6 and 7.

If 3 and 4, do bootfix option 2 to change it to 6 and 7, if 6 and 7, do option 1 to change it to 3 and 4.

Try the drive in the TiVo.

If no joy, put the opened TiVo near an opened computer with the drive in between, unplug the SATA data cable that goes to the drive from the TiVo motherboard, plug in a known good SATA data cable between the TiVo motherboard and the drive, and run a SATA power lead from the computer to the drive.

Boot the computer (you don't need the computer itself exactly, you just need the power supply to spin up the TiVo drive), make sure the drive is spinning, then boot the TiVo (best way, get a power strip with a switch to plug just the TiVo power cord into and use the switch to boot it).
Thanks for the information. I was able to test and do the bootfix however, I still had the same problem. Your idea for testing the power supply is great. Unfortunately, I only have laptops here.
I do have a working Series 2 Tivo that I don't need, however, I am guessing there is probably a difference in power supplies right?

Do you think it is worth it to try to get someone's image and restore the hard drive with that?

Thanks again.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #638
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I was able to test and do the bootfix however, I still had the same problem. Your idea for testing the power supply is great. Unfortunately, I only have laptops here.
I do have a working Series 2 Tivo that I don't need, however, I am guessing there is probably a difference in power supplies right?

Do you think it is worth it to try to get someone's image and restore the hard drive with that?

Thanks again.
There are several differences in the power supplies.

You might be able to "borrow" some capacitors for test purposes.

Which model Series 2 do you have?

Do you own a soldering iron?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #639
befaythful

Quote:
There are several differences in the power supplies.

You might be able to "borrow" some capacitors for test purposes.

Which model Series 2 do you have?

Do you own a soldering iron?
I have a TCD649080 (and a soldering iron) :-)
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #640
unitron

Quote:
I have a TCD649080 (and a soldering iron) :-)
Well, that's the best Series 2, unless you need to borrow some capacitors for an HD power supply

Okay, back to my use a computer power supply plan, only this time without the computer.

If you can find a 4 pin Molex to SATA power adapter locally (the 4 pin Molex end should be male pins, not female sockets), you can use the S2 power supply's 4 pin hard drive power socket to run the HD drive.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #641
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtbb View Post
Hello all,
Can someone PM a link to an image for TCD652160? I tried to pull a backup from my failing unit and it just gives an error that says "Error Reading from zonemap!" If anyone can point me to an image it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Quote:
Hi,
Would someone please PM me links to images for my TCD652160. I'm scared it's the power supply as I have no luck (once i get to powering up, i'm stuck)..i've tried backing up that drive and restoring to another...but no good...sounds like there is no spinning going on.

I figured it couldn't hurt to try someone else's image. I'm using a usb docking station with my drive and WinMFS.

Thanks for a link!
PMs on the way
Old 10-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #642
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
PMs on the way
Who are you using to host that image?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #643
nmtbb

Thank you!

Quote:
PMs on the way
Thanks a million!
nmtbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #644
befaythful

Great News

Great news! The clean image worked and my tivo has now started. I'm so glad it's not the power supply. Now the only problem is when I insert my cable card, it says invalid cable card, contact your cable company. I am hoping I will have more choices once I finish setup. I was expecting a gray screen with a number if I needed to reactivate instead of just an error message. Either way I am happy to have it booted (and with a larger hard drive)....now to figure out this next step.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #645
unitron

Quote:
... Now the only problem is when I insert my cable card, it says invalid cable card, contact your cable company....
Of course it does, the pairing is on your old drive, the new image doesn't have it, because the drive from which that image was taken was in a TiVo which was never paired with your cards.

Last edited by unitron : 10-30-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #646
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Who are you using to host that image?
I'm using Dropbox which offers 2GB free. Jump through a couple of hoops and they add an extra 250MB. Invite some friends and get another 250MB for each one that signs up (max 8GB). The desktop app places a folder on your computer and anything you copy to the folder gets uploaded automatically. Install the app on another computer and the files become visible in a folder on that computer as well. All I need to do is open the folder on my PC and copy a link to the file which I then paste into the PM. No expiration on the files and no ads to view to get to them.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #647
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Great news! The clean image worked and my tivo has now started. I'm so glad it's not the power supply. Now the only problem is when I insert my cable card, it says invalid cable card, contact your cable company. I am hoping I will have more choices once I finish setup. I was expecting a gray screen with a number if I needed to reactivate instead of just an error message. Either way I am happy to have it booted (and with a larger hard drive)....now to figure out this next step.
You should be able to go to the cablecard screen (where it shows the card serial number, MAC address, etc.) and then call your cable tech support to get the card re-paired. No need to pay for a truck roll.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #648
quikah

Looking for a Series 3 TCD648250B image.

I tried the Supafly image that is on torrent, but it seems corrupt? quickpar is saying it is missing 1 block, and a restore fails.

Hmm, I think I may have fixed it. I did a restore with MFStools CD using the downloaded image, but it says the restore failed. The TiVo boots, but it just grey screens after a while and reboots. So I did a backup of the restored drive with WinMFS, then restored to the same drive using the WinMFS backup. That seemed to fix it up, I am doing a C&DE now.

Last edited by quikah : 10-31-2011 at 03:36 AM.
quikah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #649
befaythful

Sad news

Well yesterday, I thought I was back up and running. I had copied the fresh image to a different hard drive and everything seemed to be going ok. Then this morning, I wake up to see the cycle has started again. I do not understand how installing a new hard drive with a fresh image can work perfectly and then the next day I'm back to the "welcome! powering up" screen over and over and over again. Maybe it's time to declare the death of my tivo.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #650
unitron

Quote:
Well yesterday, I thought I was back up and running. I had copied the fresh image to a different hard drive and everything seemed to be going ok. Then this morning, I wake up to see the cycle has started again. I do not understand how installing a new hard drive with a fresh image can work perfectly and then the next day I'm back to the "welcome! powering up" screen over and over and over again. Maybe it's time to declare the death of my tivo.
Go to badcaps.net and learn how to look for electrolytic capacitor trouble, then carefully eyeball the tall skinny capacitors under the power supply's heat sink. An even slightly wonky power supply can give all sorts of mystery symptoms.

My previous suggestion about powering the drive separately was based on the idea of taking some of the load off of the power supply, since the motherboard and the drive share the +12V and +5V rails.

If the TiVo works properly with the drive powered by something else, then you know that the TiVo's power supply can no longer do its job.

If it still doesn't work properly with a lightened load on the power supply, that could still be a power supply problem, or it could be a good power supply but something else wrong.

The odds are in favor of it being the power supply, though.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #651
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
If it is a lifetimed unit I'd keep trying to find a fix. If you don't have a convenient source for trying unitron's suggestion about powering the HD separately, you can get a USB to SATA adapter for less than $10 on either eBay or Amazon. The adapter comes with a power source for the HD.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #652
unitron

Quote:
If it is a lifetimed unit I'd keep trying to find a fix. If you don't have a convenient source for trying unitron's suggestion about powering the HD separately, you can get a USB to SATA adapter for less than $10 on either eBay or Amazon. The adapter comes with a power source for the HD.
I'm starting to think the first thing to do with a Series 3 is saw the SATA connector into separate data and power plugs.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #653
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I'm starting to think the first thing to do with a Series 3 is saw the SATA connector into separate data and power plugs.
I've never actually looked inside my S3HD (it came with a 1TB drive) so I've always assumed (I know, bad word) that the connectors are separate like they are on the adapters and on the hard drives and on PCs, yada, yada. Silly me to assume something so logical.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #654
unitron

Quote:
I've never actually looked inside my S3HD (it came with a 1TB drive) so I've always assumed (I know, bad word) that the connectors are separate like they are on the adapters and on the hard drives and on PCs, yada, yada. Silly me to assume something so logical.
No such luck, at least on the HD, haven't gotten my hands on a "thermometer front" yet.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #655
Terzik

Also looking for a Series 3 TCD648250B image. Would prefer to not have to mess with the Supafly image ... thanks
Terzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #656
Bsv

Hi everyone! I'm new to the TiVo community. I am looking for a image for my Humax T800. I ran a diagnostic today and my hard drive has some bad sectors.

Thanks!
Bsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #657
mswells

Red face Tivo Series 1 Image

I am looking for an original Tivo Series 1 {Phillips HDR112} image.

Can you send me a link to this, as I am unable to PM on here, since I havent had enough pm's yet.
mswells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #658
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswells View Post

Can you send me a link to this, as I am unable to PM on here, since I havent had enough pm's yet.
I have one from a 14GB S1 drive but the WINMFS image itself is 6.3GB so I can't upload it or e-mail it or even send it on a DVD. Maybe someone else has one that is smaller. If not, you could mail me an 8GB flash drive or SDHC memory card and I could mail it back to you with the image.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #659
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswells View Post

What size hard drive do you plan to put it on?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #660
dusterbuster

Hi everyone, my tivo harddrive apparently has crashed, and I'm looking for a Tivo HD (TCD652160) image that I can install on a new harddrive. Thanks in advance!
dusterbuster is offline   Reply With Quote