TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
UCLABB

Greg: DVRBars to back up Roamio Drive?

I have a spare 3tb drive sitting around and I wondered if I could clone my Roamio 3tb drive to it with DVRBars. If that would work would it keep the cable card pairing (assuming the pairing is on the HDD)?

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
jmbach

I am not greg, but DvrBARS at this time cannot backup any drive over 2TB because it uses VHD format to do the backups.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
telemark

I'm still not Greg.

Cloning the same drive size (3TB->3TB) works for Roamio using the byte-wise mode of other tools. CC pairing is reported to be preserved as long as the CC is not inserted while booting a non-matching hard drive.

On Linux/Mac, I use dd/ddrescue.
I can lookup Windows tools if preferred, or let another non-Greg answer.

Last edited by telemark; 05-20-2015 at 11:35 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
ggieseke

I am Greg, but jmbach and telemark already gave you the same answers that I would.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I'm still not Greg.

Cloning the same drive size (3TB->3TB) works for Roamio using the byte-wise mode of other tools. CC pairing is reported to be preserved as long as the CC is not inserted while booting a non-matching hard drive.

On Linux/Mac, I use dd/ddrescue.
I can lookup Windows tools if preferred, or let another non-Greg answer.
Greg or non-Gregs: what are the Windows programs for cloning? Also, when you say pairing is preserved, I take it if you clone the drive, when you put in the clone drive you don't have to pull the CC. One more related question, if I just put in a blank drive and pull the card first, then pairing would be preserved? I think that is what you are saying, but I just wanted to be sure.

UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
jmbach

I am still not Greg, but the answer on pairing is that if you clone the drive and do not pull the CableCARD and then you put the cloned drive in, the pairing is preserved. If you boot the TiVo with the clone drive but with the CableCARD removed, you will lose pairing with Motorola M-Cards. Not sure about Cisco/SA cards.
If you pull the CableCARD and let a new drive boot, then decide to put the original drive in, if you boot the original drive with the CableCARD installed, the original pairing is preserved. Again, I can verify this with Motorola M-Cards as that is what Charter uses in my area.

As far as Windows Copy programs, the one I use is from HDDGuru. It is called HDD Raw Copy Tool.

Thanks For This Post: