TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
jmbach
der Neuerer

6TB Premiere - DIY instructions in post 2

Edit: See post 2 for instructions on how to create a 6TB Premiere image. It is now relatively straight forward.

A 6TB Premiere is possible to create but it is not all easy. The biggest obstacles are converting the TiVo APM all to 64bit entries and a manual coalesce. This will not work on a Roamio as TiVo changed how many partitions can exist on the main drive. Anything over 14 partitions causes a reformat of the drive. This is current as of 20.4.7a.

To create the 6TB image use MFSTools 3.2. The basic steps are as follows:

1) Use MFSTools 3.2 to copy your current image to a 6TB but limit the image size creation to 4TB. The current MFSTools cannot handle an image that has had either partition 10 and/or 12 coalesced previously. There is a mod that is being tested and seems to work if only partition 12 had been coalesced.

2) Use MFSTools 3.2 to add a pair of partitions to the newly created image.

3) Convert all APM entries except for the first one to 64bit entries.

4) Coalesce the last pair of partitions (15 and 16 into 15)

5) Modify each entry in the APM to reflect 15 total partitions.

6) Put it in your Premiere and let it boot and divorce.

You then should have a 6TB Premiere and if you used the appropriate switches in the first step, still have all recordings.

Our current coalescing tools only work on 32bit APMs so these tools will need to be either modified or new tools will need to made. Will also need to have a tool that will convert an APM from 32bit to 64bit.

I'll try getting a write up together with more details but hopefully someone will help develop those tools to make this process easier and much less prone to errors.

Last edited by jmbach; 06-23-2016 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Readability; add photo
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
jmbach
der Neuerer

After finally getting the time to create the necessary tool to convert the APM to 64 bit and then coalesce the added partition pair MFSTools 3.2 creates, we now have the instructions on how to create a 6TB premiere.

1. Download MFSTools 3.2 from this post in the format you want to use. Follow the instructions there to logon to root when you boot the image.

2. Boot the MFSTools image with the original and a 6TB drive connected.

3. Verify the correct drive labels using the command "fdisk -l" (Lower case L)

4 Run the command "mfstool copy -aiM 4000 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY" where sdX is your source drive and sdY is your target (6TB) drive. This command will copy all recordings and can take several days to complete if you are dealing with a large drive already. If you do not want the recordings drop the "a" in the command. Without the recordings it will take 10 to 20 minutes to complete. Might want to do this for a test run to make sure you got the process down correct.

5. Once that is complete I would boot the drive in the TiVo to make sure that the last step was successful. You should have about 4TB of recording space at this time.

6. Reconnect the 6TB drive to the computer and boot the MFSTools image.

7. Verify the correct label for the drive with "fdisk -l"

8. Run the command "mfstool add -x /dev/sdZ" where sdZ is the 6TB drive.

9. Next run the command "apmfix /dev/sdZ" where sdZ is the 6TB drive. If it completes successfully, it will let you know that the APM was converted to 64 bit and that partition 15 and 16 were successfully coalesced.

10. Place the drive in the TiVo and let it boot. It will ask you if you want to divorce the external drive. Go ahead and follow the directions to divorce the external drive. Once the drive is divorced, you will have a 6TB Premiere.

Last edited by jmbach; 05-29-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: 6TB Premiere instructions
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
TiVoTJung

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
A 6TB Premiere is possible to create but it is not all easy. The biggest obstacles are converting the TiVo APM all to 64bit entries and a manual coalesce. This will not work on a Roamio as TiVo changed how many partitions can exist on the main drive. Anything over 14 partitions causes a reformat of the drive. This is current as of 20.4.7a.

To create the 6TB image use MFSTools 3.2. The basic steps are as follows:

1) Use MFSTools 3.2 to copy your current image to a 6TB but limit the image size creation to 4TB. The current MFSTools cannot handle an image that has had either partition 10 and/or 12 coalesced previously. There is a mod that is being tested and seems to work if only partition 12 had been coalesced.

2) Use MFSTools 3.2 to add a pair of partitions to the newly created image.

3) Convert all APM entries except for the first one to 64bit entries.

4) Coalesce the last pair of partitions (15 and 16 into 15)

5) Modify each entry in the APM to reflect 15 total partitions.

6) Put it in your Premiere and let it boot and divorce.

You then should have a 6TB Premiere and if you used the appropriate switches in the first step, still have all recordings.

Our current coalescing tools only work on 32bit APMs so these tools will need to be either modified or new tools will need to made. Will also need to have a tool that will convert an APM from 32bit to 64bit.

I'll try getting a write up together with more details but hopefully someone will help develop those tools to make this process easier and much less prone to errors.
did you get this to work? you have a working 6tb image?

TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
jmbach
der Neuerer

I did. I edited the OP to include a picture of the result.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
TiVoTJung

Quote:
I did. I edited the OP to include a picture of the result.
dam thats a lotta hours

TiVoTJung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
Cybernut

Awesome, jmbach!! Kudos to you for pulling this off. A future project for me in a few months

Thanks for continuing your work with Premieres and also your generous time and help you've provided to me and others.

Last edited by Cybernut; 07-30-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #7
x60hz

Thank you JMBach for your hard work here.

I know you said you would come up with more details on this but I can't wait to try it. I saw Weaknees had a 6tb update so I went out and paid $250 for a 6tb WD drive thinking this would be just as easy as when I went from 320GB to 2TB. Could you just elaborate a bit on steps 3 & 4? Does MFSTools give you an option to convert APM entries? And what is meant when you say "coalesce the last pair of partitions". Lastly, what exactly is to be done when you say let the drive divorce?

x60hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
jmbach
der Neuerer

6TB Premiere

The hardest part of the process to explain is coalescing partition 15 and 16. When I get that done, I will post the whole process. However, if you want to do the first step of the process, copy your current image to the 6TB drive with MFSTools 3.2 with the command "mfstool copy -aiM 4000 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY" where sdX is your source drive and sdY is your 6TB drive. Then let the TiVo boot the 6TB drive. In fact you can let it use the drive until I get the final instructions completed to expand the image.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
x60hz

Very Cool. Thank you again so much. I think we all here owe you a drink or something!!!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
x60hz

Hey JM, just wondering how you were making out with the image expansion directions. Funny how fast a TiVo hard drive can fill up LoL!!

Old 03-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
jmbach
der Neuerer

Slowly right now. My development computer went down an am in process of replacing it and not enough free time due to other obligations.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #12
Soapm

Quote:
Slowly right now. My development computer went down an am in process of replacing it and not enough free time due to other obligations.
Other obligations??? I can beat the kids for you? That should free you up some time... ROFL...

Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:47 AM   #13
yoheidiho

Quote:
The hardest part of the process to explain is coalescing partition 15 and 16. When I get that done, I will post the whole process. However, if you want to do the first step of the process, copy your current image to the 6TB drive with MFSTools 3.2 with the command "mfstool copy -aiM 4000 /dev/sdX /dev/sdY" where sdX is your source drive and sdY is your 6TB drive. Then let the TiVo boot the 6TB drive. In fact you can let it use the drive until I get the final instructions completed to expand the image.
JMBach - did you every get the final instructions completed to expand the image from 4TB to 6TB?

I'm looking to expand a 2TB Premiere that I expanded and supersized back in the day with JMFS and a 500GB Premiere 4.

I am a total Linux newbie and would like to upgrade both units to 6TB but am hesitant if the 4TB to 6TB expansion is daunting.

yoheidiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #14
jmbach
der Neuerer

Should not be daunting when the auxiliary programs are finished. It will essentially be 3 commands to get the task done.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #15
yoheidiho

I'm getting buffer I/O errors which cause MFSTools to fail copying the 2TB Premiere drive which was expanded and supersized with JMFS. Can this be do to JMFS? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
jmbach
der Neuerer

I have use MFSTools 3.2 with drives that has been expanded multiple times with JMFS. I had a similar problem with one computer I used doing the process inside a virtual machine using two different Docks. For that computer I copied the source drive to a VHD image on the computer and then used the virtual machine to do the job.

How are you doing the copy process.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
yoheidiho

I am using the Live iso with direct sata3 connection to the motherboard. I've tried reversing sata connections but that doesn't help. I'm not using a dock or USB connection. I'm wondering if I should try a different computer with a sata1 connection.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #18
yoheidiho

I swapped computers and am trying again. I'm going to see if an Intel machine will accomplish what the AMD machine couldn't. Who knows, I'm hoping that it was a driver issue.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #19
yoheidiho

My issue is the source drive, not MFSTools. Ran KS 54 and got Fail 7 for short, conveyance and extended tests. The off-line scan is in progress.

I still want to, need to, upgrade to the 6TB drive with a 4TB image. I'm unsure of the best approach utilizing a clean image and migrating to retain recorded programs. Any advise?

Or would it be best to transfer my season passes to a second Premiere followed by the recordings? This sounds cumbersome and time consuming.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #20
jmbach
der Neuerer

Well, the only other thing I can think of is to use ddrescue or a similar program to copy the image to a good drive and then use MFSTools 3.2 to copy to the 6TB drive.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #21
jmbach
der Neuerer

If you are going to use a clean image then using kmttg or archivo to save the recordings is the way to go. You will not be able to save copy protected recordings.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #22
jmbach
der Neuerer

Well for those who are following this thread, I finally put together instructions on how to create a 6TB premiere in the second post of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #23
brimimc

Any reason to think this process would not work on a 8tb drive?

brimimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
jmbach
der Neuerer

Between the OS bug that limits partition sizes to 2TB and the partition limit placed on the internal drive, 6TB is the reasonable max.
Can I make a 8TB Premiere image, I can. In fact I probably can go up to 10TB. But that is the absolute max until TiVo fixes the OS bug. Going any higher than 6TB would require a lot more manipulation of the partition map and rearranging the physical partition layout of the drive. Not an easy task to automate.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #25
yoheidiho

I was unable to add a partition.

Current standalone size: 5122 hours

Ran apmfix.

Conversion to 64 bit AM complete.
Partition structure is not as expected. Too many or few partitions. Number of blocks in partition map is 15.
Unable to coalesce.

What should I do now?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #26
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoheidiho View Post
I was unable to add a partition.

Current standalone size: 5122 hours

Ran apmfix.

Conversion to 64 bit AM complete.
Partition structure is not as expected. Too many or few partitions. Number of blocks in partition map is 15.
Unable to coalesce.

What should I do now?
Use the command "mfstool add -x /dev/sdZ" to expand and rerun apmfix.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #27
yoheidiho

Quote:
Use the command "mfstool add -x /dev/sdZ" to expand and rerun apmfix.
I used the command "mfstool add -x /dev/sda" as directed and it still indicated "Nothing to add!" It did not create partitions 15 and 16.

Am I missing something?

I was expecting to see something like:
"Adding pair /dev/sda15-/dev/sda16...
New estimated standalone size: xxxx hours (yyyy more)
Done! Estimated standalone gain: zzzz hours
Revalidating partition table on /dev/sda... Success!"

It appears that I can get this done once I can add the pair of partitions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-05-29 22.57.49cr.jpg (45.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
jmbach
der Neuerer

Hmm. Did you verify the drive with fdisk?

Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #29
jmbach
der Neuerer

Based on your picture it is correct.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #30
jmbach
der Neuerer

Try "mfstool add - fx /dev/sda" until we add a pair of partitions, we cannot go further.