TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
jhyland

Use any external esata drive with bolt esata port

Has anyone figured out a way to use whatever external drive we want with the external esata port? (rather than just the ones tivo allows)

If not, is anyone working on this? Or is it thought to be impossible?

Thanks.

jhyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to use whatever external drive we want with the external esata port? (rather than just the ones tivo allows)

If not, is anyone working on this? Or is it thought to be impossible?

Thanks.
MFSTools 3.2

Old 09-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
jhyland

I'm looking to keep the same internal drive and use a 2TB external drive to connect to the bolt to get extra recording time.

I've looked through the MFStools 3.2 thread, but didn't find something specific to address this. Is there a guide for doing what I like? Or what is the command I need to use?

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
jmbach
der Neuerer

Hook up both drives to the computer and run mfstool add -x /dev/sdX /dev/sdY where sdX is the internal drive and sdY is the external drive.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 09-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
jhyland

Thanks. I was hoping to not have to open the unit to get the internal drive. Since I need to do that, I might as well get a bigger internal drive also.

I appreciate you making it simple by providing the precise command.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #6
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Hook up both drives to the computer and run mfstool add -x /dev/sdX /dev/sdY where sdX is the internal drive and sdY is the external drive.
Why is this necessary for an external drive when (as I understand it) a 1T internal drive is plug-and-play? Does the Bolt know how to "format" an internal drive when it finds a new one, but not an external drive?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc56 View Post
Why is this necessary for an external drive when (as I understand it) a 1T internal drive is plug-and-play? Does the Bolt know how to "format" an internal drive when it finds a new one, but not an external drive?
It will if you only get a TiVo approved external drive. It will not for any external drive.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyland View Post
Thanks. I was hoping to not have to open the unit to get the internal drive. Since I need to do that, I might as well get a bigger internal drive also.

I appreciate you making it simple by providing the precise command.

You can go up to an 8TB drive with MFSR but you will not retain any recording. If you want to retain recordings, you can use MFSTools 3.2 to copy and expand in one command up to 4TB. You can then add at least a 6TB external drive but I think there is room to add an 8TB external drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 09-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
ian928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Will this command also work on a Roamio Plus/Pro? Will the internal drive retain the existing recordings after doing this? I would like to connect a 3TB esata drive that I already have externally to my 3TB internal Roamio.

ian928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
jmbach
der Neuerer

It will but you have add a switch in the command to limit all the partitions it creates to 2TiB each.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #11
Yohannon

So I've been researching this intensely, and this thread caught my eye; If I'm reading this correctly, I can take my existing drive/recordings, use this command to copy to a 4TB drive for use in the Roamio:

mfstool copy -ai /dev/sdX /dev/sdY

And then pair it with an external eSata drive upwards of *8*TB:

mfstool add -x /dev/sdX /dev/sdY

For a total 12TB of usable recording space on the Roamio, for about 2200 HD hours and about 19,000 SD hours of recordings? (And excuse me as my mind boggles at three straight MONTHS of HD TV recordings!)

Mind you, I'd likely do the more pragmatic thing and drop in two 4TB if I can manage it... I think my wife would be more than happy with 1400 hours, give or take. :P

Yohannon is offline   Reply With Quote