TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
justintime

Any problems using non-WD (Toshiba) 2TB drive in upgrade of TCD652160?

Hi everyone,

Been a *long* time since I visited, good to see the community is still chugging along. I've had a stock TCD652160 that has been faithfully in service for my kids for years. I recently upgraded to a Roamio Pro for myself, and I'm replacing my kids' TiVo HD with a TiVo Mini.

I'm going to eBay the original TCD652160. I had a spare Toshiba 2TB drive sitting around, so I figured I'd see if I could maximize my profit and upgrade the TiVo HD using that drive. To my surprise, it worked flawlessly.

The last thing I want to do is to sell an upgraded TiVo on eBay that will have problems down the road. I let it run for awhile after the upgrade, and everything seemed okay, but I have to admit I haven't done a full burn-in.

Googling for the answer returns too much noise about the old Toshiba branded TiVo's, so I figured I'd ask the experts. Is using a Toshiba drive a generally accepted okay thing to do?

TIA,

Justin
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintime View Post
Hi everyone,

Been a *long* time since I visited, good to see the community is still chugging along. I've had a stock TCD652160 that has been faithfully in service for my kids for years. I recently upgraded to a Roamio Pro for myself, and I'm replacing my kids' TiVo HD with a TiVo Mini.

I'm going to eBay the original TCD652160. I had a spare Toshiba 2TB drive sitting around, so I figured I'd see if I could maximize my profit and upgrade the TiVo HD using that drive. To my surprise, it worked flawlessly.

The last thing I want to do is to sell an upgraded TiVo on eBay that will have problems down the road. I let it run for awhile after the upgrade, and everything seemed okay, but I have to admit I haven't done a full burn-in.

Googling for the answer returns too much noise about the old Toshiba branded TiVo's, so I figured I'd ask the experts. Is using a Toshiba drive a generally accepted okay thing to do?

TIA,

Justin
Post the actual model number of that Toshiba drive.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
justintime

Man, I'm an idiot. It's not a Toshiba, it's a Hitachi. Part number is 0F12117. Probably shouldn't have written the OP from memory, rookie mistake
Old 12-07-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
justintime

A forum search for that part number shows some people back in 2011 saying it was an option, but at the time it was a new HD and hadn't had much testing. Is there any more recent info?