TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
modhatter

Direct TV or Comcast bundle

I currently have Direct tV and a regular single drive Tivo 2 unit. I have been happy with the Direct TV, but I am moving and considering Comcast with their bundle package for some savings. Also, because I would then be able to use a dual drive unit and record two programs at the same time or watch one program while recording another.

However, I do not want to sacrafice picture quality or good service for the above. Anyone out there with experience with both companies.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I currently have Direct tV and a regular single drive Tivo 2 unit. I have been happy with the Direct TV, but I am moving and considering Comcast with their bundle package for some savings. Also, because I would then be able to use a dual drive unit and record two programs at the same time or watch one program while recording another.

However, I do not want to sacrafice picture quality or good service for the above. Anyone out there with experience with both companies.
Yes, I recently switched from Direct to Comcast. I had Comcast before for my broadband, so it was very easy to get a Tivo HD and try it out for 30 days. You can't do that with the D* dvrs - as soon as they are in your house, you're stuck with them for 2 years unless you pay a hefty cancellation fee.

There are several things that I love about the Tivo HD - the MRV feature is the biggest addition for me. It actually allowed me to have one unit just connected to the antenna and the other unit connected to Comcast.

The other big surprise for me was how great the Comcast SD signal is compare to the Direct version. I also find the Comast HD signals to be as good as my antenna, so I am quite pleased overall. While Direct technically has more HD, I get all of the locals (in addition to getting them from my antenna) in HD, plus get a lot more than what I was receiving on Direct.

Direct was slightly cheaper on just the video, but I get a $15.00 discount because of the broadband, and I just found out that the phone would only be $5.00 more, so I am considering that as well.

In the end, being able to test everything without making a commitment - especially one for 2 years - was the one item that drove me away from Direct. I had been with them since '94, but they refused to let me try their box at home for even 15 days. I was pretty sure I didn't like their box to begin with, but really wanted to try it before leaving Direct, however the retention folks all told me there was no way they could set that up... so in the end, I left.

The good news for me is that I love the stand alone Tivo HD's. It felt like a huge upgrade because of getting the features that D* wouldn't allow us to have. So, I am quite happy with the decision.
RS4 is offline   Reply With Quote