TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #2221
Icarus

I guess I need the vdrd/tvs4 profile for the ipad, since that's what I'm using for the encoding. Hmmmm.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 AM   #2222
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I guess I need the vdrd/tvs4 profile for the ipad, since that's what I'm using for the encoding. Hmmmm.

-David
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/at...5&d=1271173669
Save above xml to your computer.
Start VRD GUI & choose Tools-Edit Profile List...
Click on Import button and choose the xml file

However an issue with VRD is you can't control the H.264 level it uses directly, so you may end up with level 4.1 which may not work. The ffmpeg profile sets level to 3.1 so does not have that issue.

(With release 7j of kmttg VRD encoding profiles + all other non-VRD encoding profiles are all available at once in case you haven't upgraded to that version yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #2223
Icarus

thank you! You're incredible.

-David
Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #2224
Icarus

the transcoding (encoding) step is so slow with this ipad profile. I think we're going to have to play with it and tweak it a bit. Anyway, it's literally taking hours and hours to encode less than 1 hour of 1080i programming downloaded from my tivo.

I won't even have an ipad here to try it with for at least another week.

-David
Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #2225
moyekj

That's the nature of H.264 encoding in general - it's orders of magnitude slower than mpeg2 and even mpeg4 video for that matter especially from HD sources and when the output target is 720p resolution as in this case. If you're going to do a lot of H.264 encoding you need a powerful multi-core machine to do it on, not some run of the mill machine. Obviously make sure if you do have multi-core machine to set the "encoding cpu cores" to appropriate number.
NOTE: I think I remember seeing from specs that iPad also supports mpeg4 video up to 2500Kbps but quality won't be near as good as H.264 though the encode would be a lot faster.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #2226
Icarus

I have 'encoding cpu cores' set to 2.

This machine is a C2D, P8400, with 4G memory running windows 7.

What is the deal with the "double pass encoding" in that profile? What happens if I change it to single pass? For some reason, they also have the aspect ratio fixed at 16:9 instead of setting it to "no change". I think I will copy that profile and play with it.

I need to figure out how to get the cut/mpg file saved. I will try unticking some of the "remove file" boxes for now. I think I want to uncheck "remove mpg file after encode", is that right? Then I should be able to run the tvs4 encoding job manually?

-David
Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #2227
yixness

Archos 5 IT (with Android) perfect .enc file

Has someone out there figured out the perfect .enc file for the Droid Archos 5? I'm playing around, using info on the ffmpeg.org site as well as reading other things in this thread.

However, I wouldn't mind learning from someone who has already worked out an optimal encoding.

(I was using the Tivo encoder with TiVo Desktop Plus, but while the video looked fine on my computer, it was dismal on the Archos.)
yixness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #2228
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
if you do have multi-core machine to set the "encoding cpu cores" to appropriate number.
This is something that has always had me confused. What is actually the "appropriate number"?

I have a 2 processor - dual core machine (4 cpus). I have the kmttg active jobs number set to two. What is optimal to send the encoding cpu cores value set to? Should it be 2, the thinking being that each encode would get access to two cpu's. Or should it be set to 4, because the encodes will use what they need to process each video?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #2229
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
This is something that has always had me confused. What is actually the "appropriate number"?

I have a 2 processor - dual core machine (4 cpus). I have the kmttg active jobs number set to two. What is optimal to send the encoding cpu cores value set to? Should it be 2, the thinking being that each encode would get access to two cpu's. Or should it be set to 4, because the encodes will use what they need to process each video?
That number is how many threads you want to allow each encoding job to use. If you routinely run 2 encodes at same time then I would leave it at 2 so you get 2 dedicated threads per job. If you routinely run only 1 encode at a time then I would set it to 4.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #2230
moyekj

Quote:
I have 'encoding cpu cores' set to 2.
That would only apply to ffmpeg encoding. VRD uses all available threads and you have no control over that.
Quote:
What is the deal with the "double pass encoding" in that profile? What happens if I change it to single pass?
Well for a 720p encoding the 2500Kbps video bit rate is pretty low, so adding a 2nd encoding pass allows further optimization of the encoding to improve picture quality given the bit rate limitations.

Quote:
I need to figure out how to get the cut/mpg file saved. I will try unticking some of the "remove file" boxes for now. I think I want to uncheck "remove mpg file after encode", is that right? Then I should be able to run the tvs4 encoding job manually?
Simply end the task set on "Ad Cut" task instead of "encode", so you end up with the _cut.mpg file from kmttg.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #2231
cweb

Quote:
That number is how many threads you want to allow each encoding job to use. If you routinely run 2 encodes at same time then I would leave it at 2 so you get 2 dedicated threads per job. If you routinely run only 1 encode at a time then I would set it to 4.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure I receive an overall time savings by doing two encodes at a time. Perhaps I'll back it off to one. However, multiple qsfixes seem to buzz right along. Is there a way to allow multiple qsfixes without allowing multiple encodes?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM   #2232
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
Is there a way to allow multiple qsfixes without allowing multiple encodes?
Nope.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #2233
wood252ota

I did a search of this thread and I couldn't find the answer, so does anyone know how much space the system area takes up on the drive ? I have a tivo HD with the 160 GB drive. kmttg has you input the drive size, the OS has to take some portion of that 160G. I'm not looking for an exact size, to the nearest 10 Gig would be close enough. Thanks for any help
wood252ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #2234
Icarus

Quote:
Well for a 720p encoding the 2500Kbps video bit rate is pretty low, so adding a 2nd encoding pass allows further optimization of the encoding to improve picture quality given the bit rate limitations.
ok, I'm doing some experiments. That 2nd pass is super slow. Maybe this is an excuse for a new desktop build? I wonder how much difference a core i7 desktop would make. Hmmmm. Even with that, that 2nd pass is still the killer part of the process, I think. I'm going to try to compare single pass and 2 pass encoded stuff and see how much difference it makes.

-David
Old 04-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #2235
jeffster

Quote:
Yes, that's the iPad profile to be included in the next official release. Files originating from digital cable often have glitches that need to be cleaned up before you can re-encode them to other formats. It's likely if you use other encoding profiles on same source they would also be out of sync. Only effective tool to clean up glitches in original recording is VideoRedo Quickstream Fix - i.e. running "VRD QS Fix" task in kmttg before the encoding step. Obviously you need VideoRedo and be running on Windows platform for that. You can try out the free trial of VideoRedo if you don't have it to see if it indeed fixes your problem and then can decide if it's worth the $50 for the VRD Plus version.
I'm having this same problem. Problem does not appear when converting with vide redo in an xp virtual (but slow), or from Tivo Desktop plus.

I really want to use the power of my dual 8-core Mac pro. Any fix to the audio sync?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #2236
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
I'm having this same problem. Problem does not appear when converting with vide redo in an xp virtual (but slow), or from Tivo Desktop plus.

I really want to use the power of my dual 8-core Mac pro. Any fix to the audio sync?
In my experience TiVo Desktop Plus has same or similar sync issues when encoding mpeg2 recording with glitches that is not run through VRD QS Fix (and TiVo Desktop doesn't provide a means to insert VRD QS Fix into the flow). Why can't you run VRD QS fix in XP virtual mode on original .TiVo file (saving as mpeg2) and then encode natively under your Mac OS?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2237
jeffster

Quote:
In my experience TiVo Desktop Plus has same or similar sync issues when encoding mpeg2 recording with glitches that is not run through VRD QS Fix (and TiVo Desktop doesn't provide a means to insert VRD QS Fix into the flow). Why can't you run VRD QS fix in XP virtual mode on original .TiVo file (saving as mpeg2) and then encode natively under your Mac OS?
Moyekj, I will give that a try.

Is there a way to have kmttg do only the transfer? It seems a little more stable than Tivo Desktop Plus...

However, I can say that conversion of my .Tivo files by Tive Desktop Plus to iPhone video did NOT display the sync issues for the same file that kmttg did...

Last edited by jeffster : 04-18-2010 at 12:28 PM.
jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #2238
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster View Post
Is there a way to have kmttg do only the transfer? It seems a little more stable than Tivo Desktop Plus...
Sure. Just uncheck every task next to START JOBS and only download will happen.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #2239
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
ok, I'm doing some experiments. That 2nd pass is super slow. Maybe this is an excuse for a new desktop build? I wonder how much difference a core i7 desktop would make. Hmmmm. Even with that, that 2nd pass is still the killer part of the process, I think. I'm going to try to compare single pass and 2 pass encoded stuff and see how much difference it makes.

-David
With x264 (free h.264 encoder), the first pass uses faster settings than the second pass just to speed things up (since the first pass is really only used to determine where lower/higher bitrates are needed for optimal encoding). The MainConcept H.264 encoder likely does the same thing. The extra bells and whistles that are turned on in the second pass are probably needed with 2500 kbps. However, since the iPad profile reduces the framerate from 59.94fps to 29.97fps, 2500 kbps really isn't THAT low for h.264 encoded material. One might prefer to see it closer to 3000-3500 kbps, but it shouldn't be horrible.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #2240
DeWitt

Just some notes on using TS with a Premiere XL

Tested using a 15.5 Gig file. Tried three times. Each time the file transferred was only 4.7 Gigs.

Tried again using PS and everything worked fine. The TS speed was great, but I think I'll wait a bit for others to report success before trying again.

For reference, environment is Premiere XL 14.1c - Windows 7 64 bit.
KMTTG - v0P7j

Last edited by DeWitt : 04-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #2241
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
Just some notes on using TS with a Premiere XL

Tested using a 15.5 Gig file. Tried three times. Each time the file transferred was only 4.7 Gigs.

Tried again using PS and everything worked fine. The TS speed was great, but I think I'll wait a bit for others to report success before trying again.

For reference, environment is Premiere XL 14.1c - Windows 7 64 bit.
KMTTG - v0P7j
I'm curious, Are you wired or wireless? What speeds are you getting while downloading PS and TS stream files?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #2242
DeWitt

Wired network.

TS approx 60Mbps, PS approx 28Mbps. Tivo was busy recording and viewing at the time....
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #2243
kmp14

Ok, here is a tricky one. Does tivo expose the Season number and episode number as something that could be added as choices for the file name? Long story short, i want to try to pull the kmttg processed tivo files into sagetv and use a utility to get more metadata about the show, but the tool available for metadata retrival is requires the file names to have the season and episode in them (i.e. SE05EP10 for season 5, episode 10). I realize it is a long shot, but I thought I would ask.....
kmp14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #2244
SoBayJake

I believe episode number (like 205 is season 2, episode 5) is not always available, and as such, not a reliable item to use in the filename, as it might not always be there.

Check here: http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/configuring_kmttg
Look under "Advanced File Naming"

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #2245
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

With the Premiere box, Season/Episode is listed after the episode title, under the Discovery Bar and above the show's description. This may be kept in a new metadata field, with the field name being undiscovered for the time being. Dunno though, but it looks promising!

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #2246
VideoGrabber

This seems odd. I have my naming set up with:

[mainTitle] -[EpisodeNumber]- [episodeTitle] ([month] [mday], [year], [channel])

On my Premiere, when I transfer in PS mode, I get "Name -nnn- Etcetera". But when I transfer in TS mode, I get "Name -- Etcetera". Any reason you can think of for this?

(As a side issue, I have no way to tell between files I downloaded in TS mode vs. PS mode. And even in the log all I see is: "Refreshing encoding profiles" when I switch from one to the other. I can't even tell between files that came from the S3 via cable, and those from the S4 via antenna. If everything was working fine, I might not care. But I seem to be having sporadic glitching on a couple antenna-based channels. And TS vs PS has it's own set of issues.)
VideoGrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #2247
moyekj

TS mode setting has nothing to do with the file naming. EpisodeNumber is not available for all shows however, so if using it as part of file naming you will not get consistent naming. Given the same starting show whether you have TS mode enabled or not the file naming should come out the same as the metadata retrieval is the same regardless of that setting.
It's been made abundantly clear that TS downloads and decryption have issues so you should stick to PS downloads only for now. In next version I plan to default back to PS downloads again given the feedback to date on TS downloads from Premiere units.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 AM   #2248
VideoGrabber

Quote:
Given the same starting show whether you have TS mode enabled or not the file naming should come out the same as the metadata retrieval is the same regardless of that setting.
Thanks. As indicated, it was the same show, same recording. However I went back and checked, and the difference was that the one's w/o the episode #'s had been MRV'd from the S3 to the S4. So you were correct that TS vs PS made no difference. However, it appears that some metadata may be "lost in translation".
VideoGrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #2249
richklein

Is it possible to use KTTMG so that when it pushes files back to the tivo, that it puts those KTTMG edited files in a subfolder? I was thinking it would be nice if all transfers went to a folder for easy monitoring.

I was also curious if its possible to edit the details of the metafile to put a description that the Tivo would read, aside from Title, Name, etc.

Thanks I am really enjoying this big time!
richklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM   #2250
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by richklein View Post
Is it possible to use KTTMG so that when it pushes files back to the tivo, that it puts those KTTMG edited files in a subfolder? I was thinking it would be nice if all transfers went to a folder for easy monitoring.

I was also curious if its possible to edit the details of the metafile to put a description that the Tivo would read, aside from Title, Name, etc.

Thanks I am really enjoying this big time!
This Wiki page describes one pretty easy method to get a bunch of videos in same folder to group when pushing back to TiVo via pyTivo pushes.