TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #2041
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
moyekj, what are the non-download jobs that a tivo must do before it is freed up to download again? sometimes, the tivo doesn't download for hours. Is it the qsfix? Is it possible to keep the tivo downloading at all times? thanks for all your hard work!
I explained the algorithm in post above:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...35#post7824235
Compared to download times qsfix jobs are really fast so should not be a bottleneck. I think you were messing things up when removing auto.history file causing a bunch of qsfix jobs to run, and they were not running properly in service mode for you for some reason. With 93a beta version I pointed you to you don't need remove auto.history anymore since the non-unique ProgramId problem has a good workaround now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #2042
miguelakiira

Thanks moyekj, I will continue to use 93a for the next few days and see how it goes. Kmttg rules!
miguelakiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #2043
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
Thanks moyekj, I will continue to use 93a for the next few days and see how it goes. Kmttg rules!
Obviously if you haven't already you will need to update your auto transfers setup for the programs that don't have unique ProgramId for the fix to work.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #2044
cweb

I was downloading and converting approximately 10 shows when kmttg crashed and had to be restarted. This happened during the last encode and just before the queued atomic for each show was to start. So all the shows are good (except for the last one), but contain no metadata.

Is there a way to add the shows and have kmttg do just the atomic for each one?
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #2045
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
I was downloading and converting approximately 10 shows when kmttg crashed and had to be restarted. This happened during the last encode and just before the queued atomic for each show was to start. So all the shows are good (except for the last one), but contain no metadata.

Is there a way to add the shows and have kmttg do just the atomic for each one?
Not with a released version. The jobs are scheduled automatically at end of encode. However you can do so with this beta version:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_issue90c.zip
(Rename your kmttg.jar and replace with one in above zip file).

IMPORTANT: Make sure in kmttg configuration you TURN OFF "Overwrite existing files" option. Then you can go to FILES tab and add all your mp4 or m4v files (change Files of Type to "All Files") and for task set simply enable "encode" and nothing else. Since files already exist and overwrite files is turned off the encode step will be skipped but atomic parsley jobs will still run.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #2046
tmarnik

This looks like a major improvement over Tivo Desktop, and I intend to use it soon. I found this while searching for a way to stream a show that Tivo is currently recording to my PC.

Are there any plans to add that feature in the future, or is it just not possible?
tmarnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #2047
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarnik View Post
This looks like a major improvement over Tivo Desktop, and I intend to use it soon. I found this while searching for a way to stream a show that Tivo is currently recording to my PC.

Are there any plans to add that feature in the future, or is it just not possible?
It's not physically possible, I've tried. The TiVo web server refuses to serve up a file that is still recording.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #2048
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Transfer of currently recording shows is blocked by the TiVo. This appears to be a policy decision by TiVo (appeasing some content fascists), rather than a technical limitation -- although "streaming" would be questionable anyway, given the usual speed of TTG.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #2049
cweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not with a released version. The jobs are scheduled automatically at end of encode. However you can do so with this beta version:
http://kmttg.googlecode.com/files/kmttg_issue90c.zip

IMPORTANT: Make sure in kmttg configuration you TURN OFF "Overwrite existing files" option. Then you can go to FILES tab and add all your mp4 or m4v files (change Files of Type to "All Files") and for task set simply enable "encode" and nothing else. Since files already exist and overwrite files is turned off the encode step will be skipped but atomic parsley jobs will still run.
I tried the beta version and turned off the "overwrite existing files" option, but instead of just doing the "atomic" it starts to re-encode the mp4 file, The new re-encoding file gets created in the root directory of "Encode Output Dir" instead of the show folder.

What might I be doing wrong? In the start options, I am only checking the encode option.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #2050
moyekj

Quote:
I tried the beta version and turned off the "overwrite existing files" option, but instead of just doing the "atomic" it starts to re-encode the mp4 file, The new re-encoding file gets created in the root directory of "Encode Output Dir" instead of the show folder.

What might I be doing wrong? In the start options, I am only checking the encode option.
From FILES tab select mp4 file that is already in the "Encode Output Dir" as the starting point. i.e. That is where the mp4 file would be created in normal flow, and since it's already there and you have overwrite turned off then kmttg skips the encode and just runs atomic. If your mp4 files are not already in "Encode Output Dir" location then move them there 1st.
NOTE: Make sure the pyTivo metadata files are also in the "Encode Output Dir" along with the mp4 files.

Last edited by moyekj : 03-21-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #2051
cweb

Quote:
From FILES tab select mp4 file that is already in the "Encode Output Dir" as the starting point. i.e. That is where the mp4 file would be created in normal flow, and since it's already there and you have overwrite turned off then kmttg skips the encode and just runs atomic. If your mp4 files are not already in "Encode Output Dir" location then move them there 1st.
NOTE: Make sure the pyTivo metadata files are also in the "Encode Output Dir" along with the mp4 files.
Moyekj, thanksnfor the quick responses. You solution now works.

However, it also highlight a dynamic of kmttg I have been curious about. In the settings file, I am using a file naming convention that results in a folder being created where the downloaded/converted show is put ([mainTitle][/][mainTitle] ["Ep" EpisodeNumber " "][year]-[monthNum]-[mday] [episodeTitle]). If downloading from the Tivo to start, the show get put in the expected folder. However, if the "add file" option is used to add a .tivo, Mpeg, or mp4 file, the the resulting processed file ends up in the top level of the output directory instead of the show's folder where the original was located, as I would have expected (i.e., the processed result for the show Sanctuary's .tivo file ends up in "z:\" instead of "z:\Sanctuary\").

Is this behavior by choice?
Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #2052
moyekj

Quote:
Moyekj, thanksnfor the quick responses. You solution now works.

However, it also highlight a dynamic of kmttg I have been curious about. In the settings file, I am using a file naming convention that results in a folder being created where the downloaded/converted show is put ([mainTitle][/][mainTitle] ["Ep" EpisodeNumber " "][year]-[monthNum]-[mday] [episodeTitle]). If downloading from the Tivo to start, the show get put in the expected folder. However, if the "add file" option is used to add a .tivo, Mpeg, or mp4 file, the the resulting processed file ends up in the top level of the output directory instead of the show's folder where the original was located, as I would have expected (i.e., the processed result for the show Sanctuary's .tivo file ends up in "z:\" instead of "z:\Sanctuary\").

Is this behavior by choice?
Yes, in general the "File Naming" template applies to the downloaded TiVo file and subsequent files just cue off that name. For FILES mode the starting cue is the starting file name (which doesn't have sub-folders).

Old 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #2053
moyekj

VRD TVS4 598 release

The latest VideoRedo TVSuite 4 release (598) changed the reporting of encoding output profiles files a little which required a slight update to kmttg parser. As a result currently if you update to version 598 of VRD the encoding profiles won't show up any longer. This is already fixed in SVN and I will probably have a release sometime this week including this update among several other things.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #2054
epstewart

How to merge closed captions?

I have begun trying to find my way around in kmttg, and I like what I see.

My TiVo files generally have closed captions, important to me since I don't hear well. Decrypting them to MPEG-2 loses the captions.

I've been able to use a Windows version of kmttg along with T2Sami to extract the captions, but my computers are both Macs and T2Sami doesn't work on a Mac. I run Windows XP in Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac emulation software. When I run kmttg there I frequently find that some of its window content just doesn't show up ... especially the Configure window. But I can run standalone T2Sami under Windows with success, so that's not a big problem. kmttg on Mac, meanwhile, generates decrypted MPEG-2 files from my TiVo transfers.

Merging the captions files with the MPEG files to send back to a TiVo is what I'd like to do. At present I am not sure how to do that, though.

The MPEG file that gets created by kmttg's 'decrypt' command (using tivodecode) won't actually play in QuickTime, however. (It will play in Windows/Mac VLC or in MPlayer on the Mac.) Accordingly, it will not play in iSubtitle on the Mac.

I have also started experimenting with ffmpegx on the Mac, which nominally can do the video-subtitle merging. I am not yet sure which of its output formats is best for, but I'd (ideally?) like to just pass through the MPEG-2 video and audio, with the subtitles superimposed over the video. My first attempt to do that failed immediately with an incomprehensible software error, so I changed to using the mencoder software that ffmpegx contains to produce captioned h.264 output at the original 1280x720 resolution. The encoding process is in progress as I write this, and it seems to be taking forever (over 5 hours and counting for a 1-hr. show).

I understand that kmttg is also able to do equivalent mencoder encoding, so maybe I'm better off to use it (under Windows so T2Sami works).

So I'm here to ask the experts:

(1) How would you handle closed captions/subtitle merging, if you were me?

(2) Do you recommend trying to keep the MPEG-2 output format and resolution, as I'm trying to do, or should I accept something with smaller file sizes like h.264? (I want the result to be playable on my computers and movable back to my TiVo for play there, with captions/subtitles visible in both cases.)

(3) If I use h.264, should I keep the original 1280x720 resolution? (That seems very desirable to me, but it may be one of those niceties that would have to be sacrificed to get other things working to my satisfaction.)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice ...
Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #2055
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
...I've been able to use a Windows version of kmttg along with T2Sami to extract the captions, but my computers are both Macs and T2Sami doesn't work on a Mac...
That's what I thought too, but there is a version of T2Sami that will run on Mac. I'll see if I can include it the next time I create the Mac tools for Kevin.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #2056
AudioNutz

Ok,
So I've got a version of T2Sami that runs on Mac. Tell me... I'm an idiot when it comes to closed captioning, how are you using T2Sami with kmttg on Windows?

I see that kmttg is telling me that it would normally do "-f srt videofile", but when I get information on the Mac version of t2Sami I get:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg/t2sami/t2sami 
Usage: /Applications/kmttg/t2sami/t2sami [--help] [opts...] <tivofile|mpgfile>

--output-file, -o      write output to specified file
  --output-path, -p      output file location (default: same path as input file)
  --srt, -s              output SRT format instead of SAMI format
  --add-spaces, -S       add extra spaces that exist in the captions
  --sync-bias, -b        synchronization bias (sec.)
  --cutoff-duration, -c  cutoff duration (sec.)
  --channel, -a          closed caption channel to extract (1 or 2, default 1)
  --html-encode, -e      html encode non-ascii characters (SAMI format)
  --text-size, -z        text size (SAMI format)
  --text-weight, -w      text weight (SAMI format)
  --font-style, -y       font family (SAMI format)
  --quiet, -q            quiet mode
  --version, -V          print the version information and exit
  --help, -h             print this help and exit

The file names specified for the output file or the tivo file may be -, which
means stdout or stdin respectively
It would appear that -f is an invalid option, according to the error that I see.

Last edited by AudioNutz : 03-24-2010 at 07:03 PM.
AudioNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #2057
moyekj

Probably the t2sami distro you are using is very old. For example the current windows binary version is 3.2.x and a quick google search only turns up source code for 2.x. I'm pretty sure the author no longer distributes source code with more recent releases...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #2058
jmemmott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
That's what I thought too, but there is a version of T2Sami that will run on Mac. I'll see if I can include it the next time I create the Mac tools for Kevin.
If you are running t2sami.exe, you are using the tivodecode version which is at least two years old. While it will work, it has a number of known issues in the captions it generates. With the release of ccextractor and my own admitted resource limitations for supporting multiplatform development I have given my support to ccextractor for use on non-Windows platforms.

I still personally use t2sami so it is still being improved and released but only for Windows or Windows environments such as Wine. This window version has four components none of which is "t2sami.exe".

1. T2Desktop.exe

A GUI "desktop" environment that is able download programs extract caption and convert the .tivo files to other media formats. It is also able to convert other media formats to Tivo compatible mpegs with the captions converted to closed captions

2. t2extract.exe

A command line utility that is able to extract captions from .tivo files and format them into various subtile text formats such as .srt, .sami and timed text files.

3. t2merge.exe

A command line utility that is able to merge a Tivo compatible mpeg or vob files with .srt captions to create an mpeg file containing closed captions that will play back on a Tivo.

4. T2Player.exe

A GUI utility that can play back a .tivo file using DirectShow with closed captions and a captioning transcript without the need to extract the captions before playback.

jmemmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #2059
epstewart

Quote:
Probably the t2sami distro you are using is very old. For example the current windows binary version is 3.2.x and a quick google search only turns up source code for 2.x. I'm pretty sure the author no longer distributes source code with more recent releases...
I can confirm that the 2.x version is old. I contacted jmemmott, author of T2Sami, by e-mail. He said:

Quote:
I am afraid that there is not a version for Mac. I have never had the time or tools to support t2sami in a cross platform environment. It was created for personal use and released mostly because other people asked me to do so. My experimentation on tivo files and captioning has always focused on the environment I know best which is Windows. The platform-neutral version was an experiment that was done by some one else using the sources that were current at the time. When he moved on to other things, that version stopped evolving. There have been significant enough changes and optimizations of the OS interfaces in my current sources that converting it to a platform neutral version would be a much bigger task than it was last time. For that reason, I have thrown my support in the cross platform world behind the ccextractor project.
I have not tried T2Sami v. 2.0, though I have downloaded it to my Mac. Right now I am using v. 3.2.0072 on Windows.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #2060
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmemmott View Post
If you are running t2sami.exe, you are using the tivodecode version which is at least two years old. While it will work, it has a number of known issues in the captions it generates. With the release of ccextractor and my own admitted resource limitations for supporting multiplatform development I have given my support to ccextractor for use on non-Windows platforms.

I still personally use t2sami so it is still being improved and released but only for Windows or Windows environments such as Wine. This window version has four components none of which is "t2sami.exe".

1. T2Desktop.exe

A GUI "desktop" environment that is able download programs extract caption and convert the .tivo files to other media formats. It is also able to convert other media formats to Tivo compatible mpegs with the captions converted to closed captions

2. t2extract.exe

A command line utility that is able to extract captions from .tivo files and format them into various subtile text formats such as .srt, .sami and timed text files.

3. t2merge.exe

A command line utility that is able to merge a Tivo compatible mpeg or vob files with .srt captions to create an mpeg file containing closed captions that will play back on a Tivo.

4. T2Player.exe

A GUI utility that can play back a .tivo file using DirectShow with closed captions and a captioning transcript without the need to extract the captions before playback.
James,

Your post came in while I was composing my previous one. I'm the guy who contacted you by e-mail recently to ask whether there is a current Mac version of T2Sami. Thanks for your helpful reply, quoted in my previous post to this thread.

I would like to ask you how you recommend merging the .srt or .smi output of T2Sami for Windows with a downloaded TiVo file, or with its decoded .mpg version, or with whatever derived video format you prefer to use. How do you actually take advantage of the T2Sami output, in other words? Do you have the ability to move the captioned or subtitled result back to the TiVo for use there? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #2061
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Ok,
So I've got a version of T2Sami that runs on Mac. Tell me... I'm an idiot when it comes to closed captioning, how are you using T2Sami with kmttg on Windows?

I see that kmttg is telling me that it would normally do "-f srt videofile", but when I get information on the Mac version of t2Sami I get:
Code:
/Applications/kmttg/t2sami/t2sami 
Usage: /Applications/kmttg/t2sami/t2sami [--help] [opts...] <tivofile|mpgfile>

--output-file, -o      write output to specified file
  --output-path, -p      output file location (default: same path as input file)
  --srt, -s              output SRT format instead of SAMI format
  --add-spaces, -S       add extra spaces that exist in the captions
  --channel, -a          closed caption channel to extract (1 or 2, default 1)
  --html-encode, -e      html encode non-ascii characters (SAMI format)
  --quiet, -q            quiet mode
  --version, -V          print the version information and exit

The file names specified for the output file or the tivo file may be -, which
means stdout or stdin respectively
It would appear that -f is an invalid option, according to the error that I see.
AudioNutz,

The current version of T2Sami for Windows (specifically, T2extract.exe) has:

Code:
T2Extract - Tivo Closed Caption Extraction Utility
     Version 3.2.0072
     Copyright (c) 2009 James Memmott - All Rights Reserved
     http://t2sami.com

Usage: C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\t2extract.exe [--help] [opts...] <tivofile>
                  -or-
Usage: C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\t2extract.exe [--help] [opts...] --vts n --pgc m --dvd <VIDEO_TS directory>

--path, -p             output file location (default: same path as input file)

--format, -f           output captioning format
                         sami (Default), srt (SubRip), 3gpp (Timed Text), dfxp (Timed Text)
  --dvd, -d              process DVD VIDEO_TS directory contents
  --pgc, -g              target PGC (DVD Only)
  --video, -i            extract video program(DVD Only)
  --output, -o           output file name(DVD Only)(default: based on VTS, PGG values)
  --vts, -v              target VTS (DVD Only)
  --subtitle, -s         process subtitle ( EN | FR | ... ) (DVD Only)
  --stream, -t           process subtitle stream ( 0x20-0x3f )(DVD Only)
  --channel, -n          captioning channel 1 or 2
  --case, -a             sentence case conversion of ALL CAPS
The -f option specifies the output captioning format that is desired.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #2062
jmemmott

Quote:
I would like to ask you how you recommend merging the .srt or .smi output of T2Sami for Windows with a downloaded TiVo file, or with its decoded .mpg version, or with whatever derived video format you prefer to use. How do you actually take advantage of the T2Sami output, in other words? Do you have the ability to move the captioned or subtitled result back to the TiVo for use there? Thanks.
Your question is not entirely clear. There is no need to merge the results with a file that comes from a Tivo as the file already contains the merged results. If you want to watch them in another player, typically they can be left as .smi files for WMP or .srt files for most other players. If you want to merge captions with video from another source for viewing on a Tivo, t2merge would be the simplest approach though not the only one. Stealing from my help file :

Two Windows command line utilities have been provided to aid you in creating complex processing paths using additional third party tools. T2Merge is used to send captioned video back to a Tivo.

T2Merge - Used to insert captions into an .mpg files for playback on your Tivo.

T2Merge - Closed Caption Merge Utility

Usage: %s [--help] [opts...] <mpeg file>
-or-
Usage: %s [--help] [opts...] -dvd <VIDEO_TS directory>

--output-path, -p
output file location (default: same path as input file)

--output-file, -o
output file - output file name

--dvd, -d
Process the directory contents as a DVD VIDEO_TS directory

--pgc, -g
target PGC (DVD Only)

--vts, -v
target VTS (DVD Only)

--help, -h
print help and exit

the command line

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).mpg"

would merge SRT captions from a file named "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).srt" with this Flash Gordon episode in the SRT format and save them in "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08)(0).mpg". The name of the output file and its location can be changed by including the -p and/or -o options:

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" -p "C:\My Video\Flash Gordon" -o "Cold Day in Hell.mpg" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).mpg"

would place the output in the "C:\My Video\Flash Gordon" subdirectory with the file name "Cold Day in Hell.mpg"

similarly the command line

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" -p "C:\My Video\Sister Windy" -o "In the Beginning.mpg" --vts 1 --pgc 1 --dvd "C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS"

would extract the captions from VTS 1, PGC 1 of the unencrypted DVD in C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS and save them in "C:\My Video\Sister Windy\In the Beginning.mpg" in a format suitable for display on your Tivo. The t2merge utility does not transcode the audio or video portions of the program stream so these will be in the same format and resolution as they were on the original DVD.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #2063
epstewart

Quote:
Your question is not entirely clear. There is no need to merge the results with a file that comes from a Tivo as the file already contains the merged results. If you want to watch them in another player, typically they can be left as .smi files for WMP or .srt files for most other players. If you want to merge captions with video from another source for viewing on a Tivo, t2merge would be the simplest approach though not the only one. Stealing from my help file :

Two Windows command line utilities have been provided to aid you in creating complex processing paths using additional third party tools. T2Merge is used to send captioned video back to a Tivo.

T2Merge - Used to insert captions into an .mpg files for playback on your Tivo.

T2Merge - Closed Caption Merge Utility

Usage: %s [--help] [opts...] <mpeg file>
-or-
Usage: %s [--help] [opts...] -dvd <VIDEO_TS directory>

--output-path, -p
output file location (default: same path as input file)

--output-file, -o
output file - output file name

--dvd, -d
Process the directory contents as a DVD VIDEO_TS directory

--pgc, -g
target PGC (DVD Only)

--vts, -v
target VTS (DVD Only)

--help, -h
print help and exit

the command line

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).mpg"

would merge SRT captions from a file named "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).srt" with this Flash Gordon episode in the SRT format and save them in "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08)(0).mpg". The name of the output file and its location can be changed by including the -p and/or -o options:

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" -p "C:\My Video\Flash Gordon" -o "Cold Day in Hell.mpg" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).mpg"

would place the output in the "C:\My Video\Flash Gordon" subdirectory with the file name "Cold Day in Hell.mpg"

similarly the command line

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\t2merge" -p "C:\My Video\Sister Windy" -o "In the Beginning.mpg" --vts 1 --pgc 1 --dvd "C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS"

would extract the captions from VTS 1, PGC 1 of the unencrypted DVD in C:\DVD\The Story of Art\VIDEO_TS and save them in "C:\My Video\Sister Windy\In the Beginning.mpg" in a format suitable for display on your Tivo. The t2merge utility does not transcode the audio or video portions of the program stream so these will be in the same format and resolution as they were on the original DVD.
James,

I thank you profusely for the info. I have just begun to recognize that there are now several different executables in the current T2Sami package, T2Merge.exe among them. I expect it will do the thing I am after, which is to merge captions back into the .mpg file after it has been decrypted from the .TiVo file. Afterward, if I understand you correctly, I can send the unencrypted .mpg file with the merged captions back to the TiVo for viewing. Excellent! Thanks again ....
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #2064
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
James,

I thank you profusely for the info. I have just begun to recognize that there are now several different executables in the current T2Sami package, T2Merge.exe among them. I expect it will do the thing I am after, which is to merge captions back into the .mpg file after it has been decrypted from the .TiVo file. Afterward, if I understand you correctly, I can send the unencrypted .mpg file with the merged captions back to the TiVo for viewing. Excellent! Thanks again ....
Actually, if all you are doing is decrypting the .tivo file and then sending the .mpg back to your Tivo, you should not need to do anything. The caption stream is left intact when .tivo files are decrypted to .mpg. (I believe that James also mentioned this.) Things are different if you want to transcode your video to h.264 or something else, however. In those case, you would need to use something to hardcode the subtitles into the video frames. I use avisynth + x264 or xvid_encraw, depending on whether I want to go to h.264 or xvid. Those are windows based programs though, so I am not sure how they would work under Mac windows emulation.

Generally, I download shows to edit out commercials and then push/pull them back up to my Tivo. I use VideoRedo for editing/decrypting. Captions are held intact through the editting and decrypting process with VideoRedo. The output file will be .mpg that can be brought back to Tivo without any further work needed.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #2065
epstewart

Quote:
James,

James,

I tried t2merge and got unexpected behavior.

First I did

Code:
C:\>"C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\t2extract.exe" -f srt "\\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).mpg"
Extracting captions...
Completed: 100%
That gave me the expected .srt file as output. Then I did

Code:
C:\>"C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\t2merge.exe" "\\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).mpg"
Injecting captions...
Completed: 100%
Rebuilding Program Stream...
but that did not seem to generate a new .mpg output file and/or modify the old one. Instead it seems to have generated two output files, an .m2v and an .ac3. The .m2v plays in VLC or MPlayer on the Mac. It has captions as subtitles over the video, but it does not have audio. The separate .ac3 file has the audio.

I understood from the instructions you gave in an earlier post that I was to expect the output file to be .mpg, not .m2v, and that the audio, video, and superimposed captions were to be in that one .mpg file. (I wasn't sure whether t2merge would just modify the original .mpg file or generate a new one.) How can I get t2merge to combine all elements into a single file?

A separate issue: I tried to see whether I would get video, audio, and subtitles if I used t2player on the t2merge output, but t2player behaved very strangely. The first time I used it, it asked whether I wanted to use a package ("ff__________"?) not at all, one time, always, etc. I answered "always." Then I figured out how to open a video and tried to do so. t2player then failed to complete redrawing its window, while a "green arrow" icon appeared next to its tab in my task bar and then kept appearing and reappearing. I could not get t2player to continue, and eventually had to force it to quit. This is, of course, in Windows XP running under Parallels on my Mac. I tried twice more and (aside from not having to revisit whether to use "ff__________"?) got the same odd result. Any idea what was wrong?

Thanks once again for all your help.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #2066
jmemmott

Quote:
I tried t2merge and got unexpected behavior.
I am still not sure we are communicating. If all you are trying to do is watch the video, you do not need to use t2merge at all. Use tivodecode to create an mpg from the .tivo file, use t2extract to extract the caption to an .srt file. You are done!

Play the file in VLC and it will find both the .mpg file with the audio/video stream and the .srt file with the captions as long has they have the same base file name. If the subtitle display is turned on, it will show as video with sound overlaid with the subtitles...

If you subsequently run t2merge as you describe, you will simply put the captions back into the mpg stream and essentially recreate the file you started with. Going full circle and ending up back where you started.

I suspect that the issue you are seeing with t2merge is related to the environment/installation on the Mac. The injection of captions from an .srt is done by injecting EIA 708 user data packets into the video stream on a frame by frame basis and plays havoc with the relationship between the physical program stream and the logical video stream inside of it. Seeing an mpg in this state will choke a Tivo during transfer. To avoid this, the program stream must be remultiplexed to clean it up. The audio (.ac3) and video (.m2v) are separated in the injection step and then multiplexed back together using mplex.exe afterward. If t2merge cannot invoke mplex.exe for this last step on the Mac it would leave things as you describe.

Quote:
A separate issue: I tried to see whether I would get video, audio, and subtitles if I used t2player on the t2merge output, but t2player behaved very strangely.
It sounds like you are using ffdshow as your mpeg codec. The "green arrow" is the subtitle filter icon in ffdshow. It appears when ffdshow detects an .srt file and tries to display them for you. In T2Player this will result in two sets of captions: one from the embedded closed captions through T2Players filters and one from the .srt file and ffdshow. ffdshow will run with this anomaly under Windows but I have never tried DirectShow or ffdshow using Parallels on a Mac. In any case, all the symptoms point to ffdshow/DirectShow configuration issues on the Mac.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #2067
epstewart

James,

Thanks yet again! I'm going to ignore the issue with t2player/ffdshow/DirectShow just now ... I've enough perplexity on my plate as it is. I'll look further into that matter later on.

Quote:
I am still not sure we are communicating. If all you are trying to do is watch the video, you do not need to use t2merge at all. Use tivodecode to create an mpg from the .tivo file, use t2extract to extract the caption to an .srt file. You are done!
I'm just playing the video on my computer to see what the t2sami software has produced. The ultimate aim is to move it to the TiVo.

Quote:
Play the file in VLC and it will find both the .mpg file with the audio/video stream and the .srt file with the captions as long has they have the same base file name. If the subtitle display is turned on, it will show as video with sound overlaid with the subtitles...
I can play the original .mpg file (the one I input to t2extract and t2merge) in VLC running under Windows, and I can manually cause VLC to find the .srt subtitles file and use it. I get audio, video, and superimposed subtitles/captions. But I assume t2merge (or mplex.exe) did not multiplex the subtitles/captions into that original .mpg file.

Quote:
If you subsequently run t2merge as you describe, you will simply put the captions back into the mpg stream and essentially recreate the file you started with. Going full circle and ending up back where you started.
But not into the original .mpg file, right? That file appeared to be unchanged by all I tried to do ... unless your software manages to change its contents without changing the modification date reported by the Mac???

Quote:
The injection of captions from an .srt is done by injecting EIA 708 user data packets into the video stream on a frame by frame basis and plays havoc with the relationship between the physical program stream and the logical video stream inside of it. Seeing an mpg in this state will choke a Tivo during transfer. To avoid this, the program stream must be remultiplexed to clean it up. The audio (.ac3) and video (.m2v) are separated in the injection step and then multiplexed back together using mplex.exe afterward. If t2merge cannot invoke mplex.exe for this last step on the Mac it would leave things as you describe.
If t2merge is able to invoke mplex.exe as its last step, what would I expect to see? A brand new file with the .mpg extension and with the original filename (but with something like "(0)" appended, I assume.

I did not see that. Nor did I see any indication in the cmd.exe execution of t2merge that mplex.exe had actually been invoked at the end, either successfully or unsuccessfully. There were no error messages that I was able to see. t2merge just wrapped up its execution, seemingly normally.

But no new version of the .mpg file appeared. I am assuming that one should have appeared. Why do you imagine it didn't?

If you don't know what the cause of that was, then can you give me a hint as to how best to invoke mplex.exe manually ... what command line options to use, etc.?

Quote:
I suspect that the issue you are seeing with t2merge is related to the environment/installation on the Mac.
That is certainly not out of the question. I am using the Parallels emulation software with Windows XP SP2. Parallels allows me to pass folders from the Mac into Windows as directories that Windows can supposedly use in the usual way. The .tivo, .mpg, .srt, etc. files I have been talking about are all on the Mac and accessed via a "pseudo" Windows pathname that normally works fine. Clearly, t2extract had no problem with it, and t2merge was able to find the input file and create the intermediate .m4v and .ac3 output files in that directory. If I try mplex.exe manually, I may learn that it does in fact have a problem with the "pseudo" path ...

The following was edited in after the original posting:

I decided to go ahead and take a stab at using mplex.exe manually:

Code:
C:\>"C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\mplex.exe" -f 3 -v 2 -o "\\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010)(1).mpg" "\\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).m2v" "\\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).ac3"
   INFO: [C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\mplex.exe] mplex version 1.9.0 (2.2.7 $Date: 2006/02/01 22:23:01 $)
**ERROR: [C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\mplex.exe] File \\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).m2v unrecogniseable!
   INFO: [C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\mplex.exe] File \\.psf\Host\Volumes\New 2TB Drive\TiVo Transfers\The Human Spark\3. Brain Matters\The Human Spark - Brain Matters (01_20_2010).ac3 looks like an AC3 Audio stream.
**ERROR: [C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\new kmttg stuff\T2Sami Stuff\mplex.exe] Unrecogniseable file(s)... exiting.

C:\>
As you can see, mplex objected to my .m2v file as unrecognizable. I simply dragged the icon for the file from a folder window to the cmd window, so I know the problem is not that I misspelled the filename. The .m2v file was made by t2merge and would seem to be OK. VLC plays it. Was I supposed to specify the .m4v file and the .ac3 file? That would seem to make sense. Why would the former be unrecognizable?

Last edited by epstewart : 03-25-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: To add more information
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #2068
jmemmott

There is no problem with experimenting. I just wanted to make sure that you realized that the file that should be coming out of t2merge will be not be logically any different than the file you started with. If you sent the original file back to the Tivo and played it back with caption turned on or if you set the file that came out of t2merge back and played it the viewing experience would be substantially the same. Both would show essentially the same captions at the same point in the video.

In any case, for my previous example

the mplex command would be as follows

"C:\Program Files\T2Sami\mplex.exe" -f 3 -o "C:\My Video\Flash Gordon\Cold Day in Hell.mpg" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).m2v" "C:\My Video\Tivo\Flash Gordon - Cold Day in Hell - (Recorded 01-25-08).mp2"

From the error message you are getting in your edited portion, I would suggest putting the original file through the Quick Stream Fix (QSF) function of VideoReDo and then repeating the experiment with the cleaned up version.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #2069
superflysocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
awesome program! this is reason enough to keep my tivo instead of moxi.

One request: in Auto transfer config, can we make the time filter option to be not global or an option for it not to be global but for each individual shows?
is this possible?
superflysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #2070
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysocal View Post
is this possible?
That would have to be added as another option since currently the time filter is global. I'm curious though what you are using the time filter for specifically? If you don't want older programs to transfer you can always add them to history file from GUI using Auto Transfers->Add selected to history file. i.e. I'm just trying to figure out the value of having time filters for specific programs? If the problem is related to certain programs that don't have unique ProgramId entries that issue is already solved in next release.