TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #1981
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I still think it would be cleaner and easier to construct a truly unique "kmttgid" perhaps out of programId & recorded time for every show so as to make it unique even for cases of lousy TiVo data. Having a user specify which shows are to be treated special complicates things unnecessarily.
Except that the user is going to have to treat those shows special in many cases already - the metadata is bad for those series.

Don't you give up several advantages by going to recording-based id instead of episode-based id? I know it complicates what I'm currently doing tremendously, which is constructing archives of series from reruns. I'll end up with many copies of the same rerun unless I maintain a complete archive on the TiVo as well to avoid re-recording the same program. But not having the space to do that is why I started using kmttg in the first place!

It also will mean folks with multiple TiVos will have to modify their auto-transfer info if they ever have a show recorded on more than one TiVo, as I often do. Otherwise they'll end up with multiple copies on the PC.

People who use a more general matching criteria, like matching keyword "Christmas", will also start getting more than one copy of a show if it gets recorded more than once in a season (or even over multiple seasons!). And if you ever have plans of expanding to actor based matching, you'll encounter this even more!

I realize people use kmttg for different purposes. I use it for archiving, and for that, the current episode-based id is perfect in most cases - I just need some mechanism to fall back on when the metadata is incorrect. I agree that the recording-based id is in some sense the most basic id - it will always be available and it solves most re-transmission problems. That's why I suggested it as the fall-back mechanism! But I view it as a step backwards for what I personally want from kmttg.

Quote:
I'm not following you here... there's a relationship between episode numbers & programId? Last I checked pyTivo metadata Wiki page I didn't see anything about programId mentioned so never thought to include it in metadata files.
In practice, the progamId for series is almost always some munging of seriesId and episodeNumber - my guess is that's the easiest thing to do for producers. Not a big deal, except in the cases where the rest of the info is inaccurate, or you want to do some checking of auto.history "Buffy" is an example where I could do something automatically if programId was included in the metadata, and I was just curious why it wasn't. (I think "Buffy" reports the season number instead of episode number for episodeNumber)
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #1982
moyekj

OK I realize now what you are talking about. By putting timestamp as part of an id this will cause issues if you re-record same show again on a different date on any of your TiVos. So the combination of date filter and <ignorehistory> is not sufficient to solve the issue for you? Would it help to have a auto transfer entry specific date filter?
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #1983
miguelakiira

Hi moyekj,
I installed your beta with the mpg.qsfix to block files that were already qsf'd. Now that background Videoredo doesn't qsfix anything, and videoredo is stuck with "tivo file open error.. please check media access key. This doesn't happen from the GUI
miguelakiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #1984
miguelakiira

oh, when you restart the kmttg service, it loses the login setting, lemm se if that fixes it..
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #1985
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
oh, when you restart the kmttg service, it loses the login setting, lemm se if that fixes it..
It will only lose login setting if you *remove* the service. If you simply stop and start service it should not lose the login setting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #1986
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
OK I realize now what you are talking about. By putting timestamp as part of an id this will cause issues if you re-record same show again on a different date on any of your TiVos. So the combination of date filter and <ignorehistory> is not sufficient to solve the issue for you? Would it help to have a auto transfer entry specific date filter?
Yes, putting a timestamp in the id makes it a recording-based id, and that seems like a step backwards for my purposes.

I gave up on the <ignorehistory> and date filter after experimenting a while. I could have done things better using it, but there were just too many weaknesses. I had things set to last 48 hours, with only a 60 minute wait between passes of kmttg -a. Problems (and potential problems) included
1. Shows were being copied something like 20 times before they reached the filter date.
2. MRV times were thus affected for days following a new recording (a 50% chance of the TiVo already doing a re-transmission, slowing up HD MRV transfers a lot and making live viewing impossible.) This was probably the major reason I dropped the approach.
3. kmttg -a was dying after a couple of days (I think lack of sufficient swap space on my server - we'll see now). Restarting was a pain if I didn't notice it within 48 hours since I had to either figure out exactly when things went down to change the 48 hour requirement in order to get my shows, or temporarily turn off the requirement, but that means the problematic shows were getting transferred again.
4. Similar problems when the archive server was down.
5. Meant I couldn't start archiving a series just by setting up an auto-transfer for it, since it wouldn't get the older recorded shows.

My view is that <ignorehistory> was a necessary kludge when you didn't have per series auto-transfer options. The retransmissions weren't optimal, but there wasn't an alternative. Now you have more options. As far as I can see, if you allow a recording-based option for a series, not only does it directly implement what people want for things like news and these shows with bad metadata, but it allows you to get rid of <ignorehistory> eventually.

Being able to set a series dependent timestamp would help several of my objections, but not all, and it still means substantial manual effort whenever the archive server or kmttg goes down for a while. I really want to be able to just start up the server and have everything work!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #1987
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispCritter
Now you have more options. As far as I can see, if you allow a recording-based option for a series, not only does it directly implement what people want for things like news and these shows with bad metadata, but it allows you to get rid of <ignorehistory> eventually.
Can you elaborate on that? Maybe you've spelled it out already but what kind of auto entry specific option(s) would solve this issue of multilple programs with same programId?

P.S. My way of dealing with this (I only have 1 show that is affected) is to not set them up in auto transfers and just manually bring up kmttg GUI to choose & process the ones I want.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-26-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #1988
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? Maybe you've spelled it out already but what kind of auto entry specific option(s) would solve this issue of multilple programs with same programId?

P.S. My way of dealing with this (I only have 1 show that is affected) is to not set them up in auto transfers and just manually bring up kmttg GUI to choose & process the ones I want.
Sounds like it might be mildly useful for you as well. Please note that I'm not saying that this should be a high priority or even definitely implemented. It would be a benefit to me and to a few others I've seen messages from, but it's up to you where it fits in your priorities and needs. I'm grateful your program already does so much!

What I envision, without knowing your code at all, is a binary flag in the series area of the auto-transfer config screen that says something to the effect of "Each recording should be viewed as a distinct show". Default of false. The implementation would be in your code when you form or get the programId. If the flag is set, the programId becomes the current programId concatenated with whatever your favorite recording specific info is, like recording time or size and url.

That should handle everything. The modified programId would be stored in auto.history, and checked (using the same procedure) at auto-transfer time. It would allow a single auto-transfer of a recording that doesn't have a unique programId, whether due to a mistake or intentional like some news, weather, or music channel stations (I think).
Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #1989
Mark Wilden

Timeouts

Very frequently, when I start kmttg, it times out while retrieving the Now Playing List. If I reset the TiVo, it's usually able to connect then.

However, I believe the same problem is occuring when downloading a number of shows. kmttg downloads a few of them, then hangs up while trying to start downloading the next one.

I don't think this is a problem with kmttg (which I love), but I would appreciate any tips on how I might troubleshoot/solve this problem.
Mark Wilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #1990
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilden View Post
Very frequently, when I start kmttg, it times out while retrieving the Now Playing List. If I reset the TiVo, it's usually able to connect then.

However, I believe the same problem is occuring when downloading a number of shows. kmttg downloads a few of them, then hangs up while trying to start downloading the next one.

I don't think this is a problem with kmttg (which I love), but I would appreciate any tips on how I might troubleshoot/solve this problem.
One issue I often encounter is that if you're running more than one PC server, they will interfere with each other - evidently for some tasks the TiVo restricts itself to one at a time.

Thus running TiVo Desktop from one server and pyTivo and/or kmttg from another will very often cause downloads to fail.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #1991
Mark Wilden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Thus running TiVo Desktop from one server and pyTivo and/or kmttg from another will very often cause downloads to fail.
That doesn't seem to be the case here, although I appreciate your response.
Mark Wilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #1992
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Sounds like it might be mildly useful for you as well. Please note that I'm not saying that this should be a high priority or even definitely implemented. It would be a benefit to me and to a few others I've seen messages from, but it's up to you where it fits in your priorities and needs. I'm grateful your program already does so much!

What I envision, without knowing your code at all, is a binary flag in the series area of the auto-transfer config screen that says something to the effect of "Each recording should be viewed as a distinct show". Default of false. The implementation would be in your code when you form or get the programId. If the flag is set, the programId becomes the current programId concatenated with whatever your favorite recording specific info is, like recording time or size and url.

That should handle everything. The modified programId would be stored in auto.history, and checked (using the same procedure) at auto-transfer time. It would allow a single auto-transfer of a recording that doesn't have a unique programId, whether due to a mistake or intentional like some news, weather, or music channel stations (I think).
Sounds like that may work. I'll look into to when I get some time. Lately I've been extremely busy with real work so very little time to do anything related to this project.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #1993
miguelakiira

HI, I havent been able to transfer from my Tivo for 2 days now, it has the following even after I reset the Tivo and reset the web server:

Failed to retrieve Now Playing List from DVR-7090
Exit code: 35
Check YOUR MAK & IP settings

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to 192.168.137.73:443
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #1994
miguelakiira

btw, the Tivo connects to the net over ethernet fine
Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #1995
miguelakiira

Actually when I reset the machine, quit kmttg, and restart, it comes back for a while.. is this new behavior with the 7i beta?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 AM   #1996
miguelakiira

Here's another possible clue this Tivo doesn't show up in the log at all
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #1997
miguelakiira

If I try to download manually, Kmttg says that the server is busy.
Maybe another clue is that one qsfix job in gui is counting minutes, and the other qsfix job is counting percentages. Hope this helps..
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1998
miguelakiira

OK I think I am closer to seeing my problem.
A file starts to download from the Tivo. The file gets stuck in transfer. Curl gets stuck. The Tivo remains "busy" and the autolog does not refresh the playlist in autotrasnfer anymore. If I reset the Tivo, the same problem repeats.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #1999
miguelakiira

when I quit the curl process, the Tivo starts another transfer and stalls again at around 150 megs
Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #2000
miguelakiira

another clue? If a Tivo has two files with the same name, same date -all transfering stalls?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #2001
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

There are at least two possible explanations that others have seen:
1. You just have a bad network - the TiVo is not good at recovering from some sorts of network errors.
2. Some recorded programs have glitches in them and cannot be transferred from a TiVo by any mechanism. The TiVo needs to reconstruct the stream that it transfers to a non-identical device, and some glitches in some recordings cause the reconstruction to bomb. If your transfers are bombing at the same place on a recording, this is probably what's happening. If your TiVo disk is starting to go bad, this sort of error happens much more frequently.

Note that interrupted transfers often require a TiVo reboot to clear out the partial transfered show - otherwise the TiVo keeps on trying to transfer the same show and bombing again.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #2002
txporter
One sec, almost done

Also, try disabling your anti-virus if you haven't tried that. That is the other problem I have seen noted.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #2003
miguelakiira

Thanks guys, this is so helpful!
Moyekj is there a way to have the kmttg service monitor curl, and have it cancel a process that is stalled?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #2004
scop

Decrypting MPEG2 TS files

Hi, just doing some more research on the TS files being used in Australian boxes.

I have already been checking out the patched tivodecode to see how that copes with the MPEG2 TS files.

Then I tried to use the "Decrypt using VideoReDo instead of tivodecode" option. This doesn't work with the TS file. The error is:

qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRD5996870064600481566.vbs "D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\TiVo Recordings\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010)-TS.TiVo" "D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\kmttg\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010)-TS.mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock2540545503438310644.t mp

It works fine on the PS file:

>> Running qsfix on D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\TiVo Recordings\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).TiVo ...
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRD1947087586603372174.vbs "D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\TiVo Recordings\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).TiVo" "D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\kmttg\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\VRDLock9003063527354149503.t mp
qsfix job completed: 00:01:03
---DONE--- job=qsfix output=D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\kmttg\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).mpg.qsfix
(Renamed D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\kmttg\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).mpg.qsfix to D:\Tim\My Documents\My Videos\kmttg\Every Picture Tells a Story - The Tempest (02_20_2010).mpg)

However, using VideoReDo by itself, the TS file can be decrypted using "Save Video As" but the QuickStream Fix tool doesn't work (using version 3.20.1.596). No doubt this is why it doesn't work via kmttg either. Not sure if this has been fixed in a more recent version of VideoReDo...
scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #2005
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scop View Post
However, using VideoReDo by itself, the TS file can be decrypted using "Save Video As" but the QuickStream Fix tool doesn't work (using version 3.20.1.596). No doubt this is why it doesn't work via kmttg either. Not sure if this has been fixed in a more recent version of VideoReDo...
You probably should report the bug in VideoReDo TVSuiteV4 forums. 596 is the most recent version released so there is no later version to try at the moment.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #2006
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
Thanks guys, this is so helpful!
Moyekj is there a way to have the kmttg service monitor curl, and have it cancel a process that is stalled?
The fact that it is stalling indicates a problem with the TiVo server, so terminating the job such that another job could proceed with a download from same TiVo likely wouldn't help much most of the time.
In next release I already have implemented a scheme where failed downloads will be automatically tried again a user-specified number of times with a user-specified timeout between tries. That won't help for this specific issue where it is just stalling but may help in general when TiVo server rejects downloads requests with "Too Busy" type responses.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #2007
nickhaas33

Moyekj,
Do you have any more encoding options that are not included in the program itself.
I am looking for either a handbrake, ffmpeg, or mencoder version for the Archos 605 wifi.
I have tried several of the ones included, but in all instances the volume is too low, but I have found a couple that the video looks pretty good.
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #2008
scop

Quote:
You probably should report the bug in VideoReDo TVSuiteV4 forums. 596 is the most recent version released so there is no later version to try at the moment.
Good idea, thanks: http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/sh...5696#post65696
scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #2009
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhaas33 View Post
Moyekj,
Do you have any more encoding options that are not included in the program itself.
I am looking for either a handbrake, ffmpeg, or mencoder version for the Archos 605 wifi.
I have tried several of the ones included, but in all instances the volume is too low, but I have found a couple that the video looks pretty good.
If there's an ffmpeg profile that works well but it's just audio that's low you can add the following ffmpeg option to boost audio level:
-vol 1024
Nominal audio level is 256, so the above would mean a 4x boost or about 6dB. Obviously you can adjust the number to what works best for you. That's what I use in a profile for generating an encoding for my portable player.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #2010
nickhaas33

I get the -ACODEC COPY is incompatible with -VOL XXX
error, so I am making a special one without it as a trial.
I saw the -vol in some posts about ffmpeg, but it does not appear
on their official list of audio parameters.

This device (Archos 605) has a very limited volume level due to European restrictions (trying to protect young ears).

Thanks, as always for your help!
nickhaas33 is offline   Reply With Quote