TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #1861
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not really. VideoRedo Plus is just fine. I upgraded to TVSuite 4 because of ability to edit H.264 videos and secondary ability to encode to H.264 & VC-1. There are still things missing which I am waiting for in TVSuite 4 such as AC3 support in mp4 container. VideoRedo Plus is still fine for QS Fix, mpeg2 editing, etc. so there is really no reason to upgrade to TVSuite 4 for those capabilities.
Just out of curiosity, how are the VC-1 encodes? From past experience, VC-1 takes quite a bit longer than MPEG2 or H.264 encoding. Is that the case with VRDv4 as well? Interested to hear about it if you have messed around with it at all.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #1862
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Just out of curiosity, how are the VC-1 encodes? From past experience, VC-1 takes quite a bit longer than MPEG2 or H.264 encoding. Is that the case with VRDv4 as well? Interested to hear about it if you have messed around with it at all.
Haven't played with it much, just on some short clips. But for example on a 5 minute clip with profiles setup for a fixed output resolution and bit rate the H.264 encode was almost 3x faster. Resulting file size for VC-1 was about 15% smaller however. So certainly compared to H.264 VC-1 encoding is slow. One nice thing is that VC-1 encodes out of VRD TVS4 are TiVo Series 3 compatible.
Also a note that H.264 encodes out of TVS4 automatically place the "moov" atom at the front of the file which automatically make them TiVo Series 3 compatible without having to run qt-faststart on them (or have pyTivo and/or streambaby take care of doing that for you).
Main shortcoming right now is no AC3 audio in MP4 container, but that capability is expected to roll out in an unspecified future update and presumably before the full blown release of TVS4 (right now they are still in pre-release mode and not providing direct links on their web site to TVS4).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #1863
sender_name
XM 202!

I am confused by the VideoReDo page...it seems that it was recently updated to a newer version, but the versions for sale on the download page are still

Download Info:
Version: 2.5.6-512
Last Update: June 17, 2007

for videoredo plus...
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #1864
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
I am confused by the VideoReDo page...it seems that it was recently updated to a newer version, but the versions for sale on the download page are still

Download Info:
Version: 2.5.6-512
Last Update: June 17, 2007

for videoredo plus...
If you want latest TVSuite 4 version with H.264 support, see here.
If you are just looking for latest version of VideoRedo Plus see here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #1865
sender_name
XM 202!

cool, thanks for the link...dropped the cash today...one of the most 'worth it' programs i have come across in while that didn't have a red,green,yellow,blue squares logo
Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 AM   #1866
Icarus

ok, never mind, I think I solved my problem.

I had an extra box checked on the videoreview config pane.

I would think that if "Bring up VRD GUI to make manual cuts" box is checked and the proper file doesn't get generated in that step, maybe it could stop instead of blindly trying to move on and possibly deleting all the input files.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 02-03-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #1867
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
ok, never mind, I think I solved my problem.

I had an extra box checked on the videoreview config pane.

I would think that if "Bring up VRD GUI to make manual cuts" box is checked and the proper file doesn't get generated in that step, maybe it could stop instead of blindly trying to move on and possibly deleting all the input files.

-David
I've added a check for next release to look for expected output file: "file (02).mpg" for vrdreview task if that option is enabled and mark job as failed if it doesn't find it. If job is marked as failed then it won't look to remove file.mpg if option to remove mpeg file after Ad Cut is enabled.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #1868
Icarus

Thanks, Moyekj. The new version with the tvs4 changes is great.

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #1869
abnersnell

Quote:
After some more tweaking I finally settled on this. The quality difference between source mpeg and resulting h.264 was virtually imperceptible, with still big file size savings:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -flags +loop -coder ac -level 41 -b 8000k -refs 3 -bf 3 -me_method umh -subq 9 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -qscale 1 -sameq -g 24 -f mp4 OUTPUT
I have checked in above in SVN as the encoding profile for next release for ff_tivo_hd. I have same profile for ff_tivo_sd but with 3000k bit rate.
Thanks Moyekj! I also have done several tests with the following CRF profile with -level 41 included to keep the StreamBaby native compatibility. The result could quite possibly be the Holy Grail of quality/size. 41 minute episodes are approx 550mb and 21 minute episodes are approx 200mb. They look fantastic on a 47inch LCD. One catch - I had to use the ffmpeg version included with the recent release of WinFF 1.2. It must include something that the KMTTG version doesn't to support these flags. I would be interested to hear others opinions on the quality of the output. Changing -crf from 35.0 to 25.0 to 15.0 will increase quality but will also increase file size and -acodec copy can also be used to keep the original AC3.

Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -f mp4 -crf 35.0 -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ab 192kb -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 -threads CPU_CORES OUTPUT

Last edited by abnersnell : 02-03-2010 at 11:35 PM.
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #1870
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnersnell View Post
Thanks Moyekj! I also have done several tests with the following CRF profile with -level 41 included to keep the StreamBaby native compatibility. The result could quite possibly be the Holy Grail of quality/size. 41 minute episodes are approx 550mb and 21 minute episodes are approx 200mb. They look fantastic on a 47inch LCD. One catch - I had to use the ffmpeg version included with the recent release of WinFF 1.2. It must include something that the KMTTG version doesn't to support these flags. I would be interested to hear others opinions on the quality of the output. Changing -crf from 35.0 to 25.0 to 15.0 will increase quality but will also increase file size and -acodec copy can also be used to keep the original AC3.

Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -f mp4 -crf 35.0 -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ab 192kb -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 -threads CPU_CORES OUTPUT
For kmttg v0p7h when you install in a fresh folder it will download very recent version of ffmpeg that mostly works with the above, except a couple of changes: change libfaac to aac and add the following flags: -qmin 10 -qmax 50. i.e.
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -f mp4 -crf 35.0 -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -ar 48000 -ab 192kb -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -b_strategy 1 -threads CPU_CORES OUTPUT
However, if your source is mpeg with AC3 audio and your target is streambaby playback you shouldn't transcode audio to AAC. Change back to simply copy audio to preserve multi-channel AC3. TiVo can only properly handle 2 channel AAC playback so you are better off leaving audio as AC3. i.e.
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -f mp4 -crf 35.0 -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -b_strategy 1 -threads CPU_CORES OUTPUT

Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #1871
bkdtv

moyeki,

Considered remux capability? VideoRedo will save MPEG-2 files as mpg, m2ts, or dvr-ms. It will also save H.264 files as mp4, ts, or m2ts. It would be nice to have the choice in kmttg, since some formats work better with certain devices (ex: m2ts for PS3 and some Blu-ray players).

For those without VideoRedo, you could add TS and M2TS muxing options with tsMuxer. The tsMuxer site has command line versions available for Windows, OSX, and Linux. The free tsMuxer GUI utility from the same site also shows the appropriate command line parameters for each muxing option in its console window, so you don't have to figure those out yourself.

I think remux options might make the most sense with a second list control. I don't think you'd need a separate checkbox for remux; you could place "<mux format" or "Save as <mux format>" to the left of Encoding profile, with MPG as the default, and TS and M2TS as options; muxing would only be set if the user selected something other than the default. Further options (or lack thereof) might depend on whether encode is selected; if the user selects ff_zune encode profile, then you might list MP4 in the "Save as <mux format>" control and gray out the other options.

To expand the use of tsMuxer, you could add Blu-ray and AVCHD authoring options to the FILES tab (or create a new AUTHOR tab), using the appropriate command line parameters copied from tsMuxerGUI. To automate AVCHD and Blu-ray disk authoring on Windows, you could integrate with ImgBurn. ImgBurn accepts command line parameters to set the appropriate UDF 2.5 format and burn Blu-ray and AVCHD folders (or create an ISO); this capability is well-documented in the program's readme.txt.

Last edited by bkdtv : 02-04-2010 at 06:02 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #1872
moyekj

Yes I can add the other types of VRD profiles too easily enough - personally I don't have much use for them but I could see where others might want them.

The "encode" task is actually wide open to run pretty much whatever script or program you want and could certainly be used for tasks like the ones you describe. The "custom" task could also be used for perhaps another/different task. It's really pretty wide open what one can do. I stopped burning video (or pretty much anything else) to hard media quite a while back as I don't really see it as necessary anymore what with the abundance of hard drive and flash capacity and many options for portability and/or streaming. So I wonder if burning to hard media is something that is still popular?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:35 PM   #1873
smileyscout

Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -f mp4 -crf 35.0 -level 41 -vcodec libx264 -acodec copy -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -b_strategy 1 -threads CPU_CORES OUTPUT
This profile came up with some pretty amazing results. I used it on a 3.55 gb 720p episode of House and the output was 291 mb. For the size it really looked good. However there was a wee bit too much macro-blocking and distortion around objects moving in the frame for my taste.

I'm quite inexperienced with configuring proper encoding profiles. Which arguments would I change to get the file size to about 600 mb and would that be enough extra space to improve quality significantly?

If anyone has a space efficient profile for SD I would be interested. I encoded a 528 x 480 1.1 GB SD show from EWTN with two different profiles. The ff_ipod_high_res profile resulted in a 700 mb file. I know h.264 can do better then xvid I just don't know what arguments to set without destroying the audio sync or doing something unholy to the video stream.

Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.
smileyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #1874
moyekj

smileyscout, try the one I posted at end of last page for HD that I plan to release as ff_tivo_hd in next release. It produced very good results for me from 1080i sources and with good file size savings:
Code:
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -flags +loop -coder ac -level 41 -b 8000k -refs 3 -bf 3 -me_method umh -subq 9 -me_range 16 -qmin 10 -qmax 50 -qscale 1 -sameq -g 24 -f mp4 OUTPUT
For SD encodes simply change to "-b 3000k".

Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #1875
bkdtv

Quote:
smileyscout, try the one I posted at end of last page for HD that I plan to release as ff_tivo_hd in next release. It produced very good results for me from 1080i sources and with good file size savings:
Code:
For SD encodes simply change to "-b 3000k".
If you are updating the ffmpeg profiles, you may want to set the BT709 flag on HD encodes. A number of different Sigma-based media players (WDLive, Popcorn Hour, et) assume BT601 on HD content if no BT709 flag is set, which throws off color reproduction (example).

With x264, one can set BT709 as follows:

--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709

I'm not sure which of those ffmpeg supports.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #1876
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If you are updating the ffmpeg profiles, you may want to set the BT709 flag on HD encodes. A number of different Sigma-based media players (WDLive, Popcorn Hour, et) assume BT601 on HD content if no BT709 flag is set, which throws off color reproduction (example).

With x264, one can set BT709 as follows:

--colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709

I'm not sure which of those ffmpeg supports.
I didn't see any of those options available in ffmpeg, and this mapping page doesn't show any either:
http://sites.google.com/site/linuxen...ffmpeg-mapping

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #1877
sender_name
XM 202!

Alright...I just started using v0p7h and now every time i try to convert a mpg (saved .TiVo from videoredo) using handbrake hb_television it goes for about 30 seconds and then i get

"HandBrakeCLI.exe has stopped working"

it crashes...what do i need to do to fix this... v0p7h worked ok...
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #1878
bkdtv

Quote:
I didn't see any of those options available in ffmpeg, and this mapping page doesn't show any either:
http://sites.google.com/site/linuxen...ffmpeg-mapping
I just googled, and a Feb 4 post suggests that the "'-colorspace 4" option was added to set bt.709 in the latest trunk. Sounds like you'll have to wait on that.

HandbrakeCLI apparently supports color-matrix, though that setting may be redundant if set by resolution as indicated.

Code:
    -M  --color-matrix      Set the color space signaled by the output
          <601 or 709>      (Bt.601 is mostly for SD content, Bt.709 for HD,
                             default: set by resolution)

Old 02-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #1879
moyekj

Quote:
Alright...I just started using v0p7h and now every time i try to convert a mpg (saved .TiVo from videoredo) using handbrake hb_television it goes for about 30 seconds and then i get

"HandBrakeCLI.exe has stopped working"

it crashes...what do i need to do to fix this... v0p7h worked ok...
Try the older HandBrake executable from here. I just tried a few short clips (1080i, 720p & 480i) with hb_television profile and newer handbrake and didn't have any problems.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-07-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #1880
moyekj

Quote:
I just googled, and a Feb 4 post suggests that the "'-colorspace 4" option was added to set bt.709 in the latest trunk. Sounds like you'll have to wait on that.
I just tried and -colorspace 4 is an accepted option by the newer ffmpeg released with kmttg, but not sure how to know if it does anything related to bt.709.

For Handbrake after encoding an HD video Mediainfo does show BT.709 is set:
Code:
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
ffmpeg shows nothing of the short so I assume "-colorspace 4" does not set those options with current version.

Last edited by moyekj : 02-07-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #1881
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:
Try the older HandBrake executable from here. I just tried a few short clips (1080i, 720p & 480i) with hb_television profile and newer handbrake and didn't have any problems.
Ok..well that link didn't actually include the hb_television.enc
so i grabbed it from version g and overwrote the h version with it...still had the problem. So then i ran quickstream fix and that seemed to solve the problem i think..thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #1882
moyekj

Quote:
Ok..well that link didn't actually include the hb_television.enc
so i grabbed it from version g and overwrote the h version with it...still had the problem. So then i ran quickstream fix and that seemed to solve the problem i think..thanks
If you have VideoRedo then QS Fix should be a permanent fixture in your task set - it is indispensable. Don't do any further processing until you have run video through QS Fix is my advice.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #1883
scop

srvany folder in Win32 tools zip

Quote:
v0p7h version is now released. Please see release notes for details:
Hi, thanks so much for this program. I noticed that the srvany folder is not in the updated Win32 tools package, is that deprecated or should I copy it over from my old install?

Thanks in advance.
scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #1884
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by scop View Post
Hi, thanks so much for this program. I noticed that the srvany folder is not in the updated Win32 tools package, is that deprecated or should I copy it over from my old install?

Thanks in advance.
It is no longer used. That was in place previously for the old/deprecated Perl based implementation but is no longer used anymore.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #1885
bkdtv

Quote:
If you have VideoRedo then QS Fix should be a permanent fixture in your task set - it is indispensable. Don't do any further processing until you have run video through QS Fix is my advice.
For the next release, you could remove VRD QS fix as a JOB option. You could leave it enabled by default, but allow the user to disable it on a global basis under the VideoRedo settings tab.

I just don't see any scenario where a user with VideoRedo would want to disable this feature (assuming they know what they are doing) on a per program basis.

Edit: Another possibility is that you remove VRD QS fix as a JOB option by default, but show it if the user deselects the option for "Always use Quickstream fix" (default is checked) on the VideoRedo settings tab.

Last edited by bkdtv : 02-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #1886
bkdtv

With the same basic idea as above, you might consider [completely] hiding the JOB for "captions" unless the path for "t2extract (captions)" is specified. You might also do the same for the custom JOB.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #1887
moyekj

Quote:
For the next release, you could remove VRD QS fix as a JOB option. You could leave it enabled by default, but allow the user to disable it on a global basis under the VideoRedo settings tab.

I just don't see any scenario where a user with VideoRedo would want to disable this feature (assuming they know what they are doing) on a per program basis.

Edit: Another possibility is that you remove VRD QS fix as a JOB option by default, but show it if the user deselects the option for "Always use Quickstream fix" (default is checked) on the VideoRedo settings tab.
I still like to have flexibility. For example in FILES mode if you start from a TiVo or mpg file that already went through QS Fix previously then there is no need to run it again and the user can consciously make that decision. If it was a global setting then it would be a pain to go change the setting to skip that step for individual files - easier just to toggle the task on/off from main GUI.
Another example is if user starts from FILES mode and selects a file that VRD QS Fix may not be able to process. (By default FILES mode has TiVo and mpg file filters but one can switch to '*' filter and start from any type of video file one desires perhaps to do an encode).

Last edited by moyekj : 02-09-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #1888
scop

Quote:
It is no longer used. That was in place previously for the old/deprecated Perl based implementation but is no longer used anymore.
Thanks, it was still in the win tools package v0p5m before the last release so I just wanted to make sure.
scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #1889
abnersnell

Once I started to play around with the Auto Transfer service, running VideRedo as Admin, turning off UAC, I started to get the following message in either manual or auto runs. I re-enable UAC, still get this problem. I double-checked my MAK and the download step seems to work, I end up with a .tivo file. I have also restarted the Tivo. Any ideas?

Code:
>> Getting Now Playing List from TIVOHD ...
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Abner\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie758016583445182633.tmp --url https://192.168.1.3/TiVoConnect?Command=QueryContainer&Container=/NowPlaying&Recurse=Yes&AnchorOffset=0 --output C:\Users\Abner\AppData\Local\Temp\NPL7361577631969073013.tmp 
NPL job completed: 00:00:01
---DONE--- job=playlist tivo=TIVOHD
16 SHOWS, 40 GB USED
'Dora the Explorer' 3 SHOWS, 1 GB USED

Dora the Explorer - Big River
Recorded Mon 02/08/2010 11:30 AM on 46=NIK, Duration = 30 mins
Boots loses one of his boots in the river. 
>> DOWNLOADING C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo ...
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Abner\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie6265728647074643292.tmp --url http://192.168.1.3:80/download/Dora%20the%20Explorer.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=2504939 --output "C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo" 
C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo: size=357.78 MB elapsed=00:06:04 (8.25 Mbps)
---DONE--- job=download output=C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo
>> DECRYPTING C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo ...
C:\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --out "C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.mpg" "C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo" 
tivodecode failed (exit code: 10 ) - check command: C:\kmttg\tivodecode\tivodecode.exe --mak MAK --out "C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.mpg" "C:\kmttg\work\Dora the Explorer\Big River.TiVo" 
processing frame: No error
Encryption by QUALCOMM ;)
Invalid MAK -- aborting

Last edited by abnersnell : 02-10-2010 at 07:59 AM.
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #1890
moyekj

Obviously tivodecode is failing for some reason. That looks like kind of error tivodecode spits out for incomplete TiVo files. Is the Dora TiVo file complete? The total downloaded file size reported was 357MB. How about other shows, do they download & decrypt OK?

If you have at least a partial TiVo Desktop installation with TiVoDirectShowFilter then you should be able to play the TiVo file to check it. Also you could enable Decrypt using VideoRedo instead of tivodecode option to use VideoRedo and TiVoDirectShowFilter to decrypt instead of tivodecode to see if that works.