TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #1801
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
I had 2 straight failures last night trying to transfer Conan's last show to my Ipod Touch.
The download went fine (using version c); no errors. The decrypt and encrypt went fine; no error messages. I used both ipod high and low res. Added the file (in each case) to itunes just fine. It plays on the computer with or without using itunes. It downloaded to my touch just fine. It won't play at all on my touch. Older shows that went through the same process play fine on the touch.After the high res didn't work I deleted everything but the downloaded file from Tivo and re-did it in low res and it brings a pop up that says file can't be played. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stu
There were some fixes to ffmpeg ipod encoding profiles in version 7g. Install version 7g and make sure to use the "encode" folder that comes with that version.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #1802
AudioNutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Does the latest version allow you to automatically schedule downloads from the TiVo's? I know that version I'm using is supposed to do it, but it doesn't.
Every version has had that capability for some time. I've only been doing it for about 18 months, but I know folks have been using auto transfers for much longer.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #1803
miguelakiira

HI thanks for making this useful program!
The issue I have is in windows 7 64 bit. I am using kmttg p7g.
I run kmttg as a service. I set the service with a user/login. I started the service. Kmttg will read the dvr playlist once and start downloading, but it never refreshes the list. I set kmttg check tivos interval to 15 (minutes). Also, Kmttg will sometimes download a series of files as 1k files. Any ideas? TIA
miguelakiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #1804
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
HI thanks for making this useful program!
The issue I have is in windows 7 64 bit. I am using kmttg p7g.
I run kmttg as a service. I set the service with a user/login. I started the service. Kmttg will read the dvr playlist once and start downloading, but it never refreshes the list. I set kmttg check tivos interval to 15 (minutes). Also, Kmttg will sometimes download a series of files as 1k files. Any ideas? TIA
Check or post relevant portions of your auto.log file which has details about what is happening in service mode.
For the 1k files that is likely problem with TiVo web server refusing to allow downloads for a period of time. The auto log file should have corresponding error messages for failed downloads but you can also open the files with a text editor to see the error message contained therein. Rebooting your TiVo usually fixes the bad state the web server can get in at times.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #1805
sender_name
XM 202!

which should take less time to encode to handbrake television (hb_television)
a .tivo file or a .tivo file saved as a mpg via VideoReDo...
i cut the commercials from my .tivo with VideoReDo and then i reencode to the hb_television...which should work faster?
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #1806
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
which should take less time to encode to handbrake television (hb_television)
a .tivo file or a .tivo file saved as a mpg via VideoReDo...
i cut the commercials from my .tivo with VideoReDo and then i reencode to the hb_television...which should work faster?
I don't really understand the question. I don't think handbrake accepts TiVo files as input so you have to feed it mpeg. Your flow of TiVo->VRD commercial trimming->mpeg->handbrake looks like the optimal to me.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #1807
sender_name
XM 202!

Oh ok...It just seemed like for some reason a conversion of my show took forever yesterday...like 4 hrs to covert a 43 min mpg2 to hb_television...I wonder if i did something that was overkill in the kmttg settings...I'm going to time the next one. I have a Vista ultimate, quad core q9550 and 4 gb of ram...so it's not a resource issue..thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #1808
moyekj

h.264 encoding tends to be very slow and handbrake in general is slow compared to ffmpeg.
Make sure that under kmttg configuration->General you set encoding cpu cores > 1 to take advantage of multi-core CPU.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #1809
abnersnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, I'm following it very closely and eagerly await 595 with the fix which tentatively will come out this week according to Dan R. In the meantime I already have development code ready to go which allows one to optionally switch to use VideoRedo TVSuite4 encoding profiles for the "encode" task (built in or custom defined), so now just need the fix to verify the implementation works.
BTW TVSuite4 can also output VC-1 video in wmv container which is TiVo series 3 compatible (I verified a couple of days ago with an encoding I was able to push natively to TiVo). I'm more interested in update which will allow AC3 in mp4 container though since that's the most useful audio format for TiVo multi-channel audio. Right now as you probably know VRD TVS4 only supports AAC audio in mp4 container (H.264 + AC3 only currently supported in TS container).
595 is available! I am ready to test! ;-)
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #1810
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnersnell View Post
595 is available! I am ready to test! ;-)
Everything is working beautifully in development code. Aside from VRD encoding support there are a bunch of other good changes related to VRD tasks and also some long overdue kmttg GUI enhancements (stretchable panes). So this next release coming out soon is shaping up to be a good one.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #1811
AudioNutz

Quote:
I was planning on "upgrading" to newer ffmpeg for next release but I have discovered that the the "aac" codec in the newer ffmpeg builds is buggy/flawed. I noticed playing back encodings with aac on my portable player had a lot of pops and some screeches. Playing back on my PC I also noticed the same. If I switch back to older ffmpeg with "libfaac" codec and encode with same specs there are no such problems. So I conclude that "aac" has a flaw. I tried about 6 different builds from the latest to the earliest ones released with the newer aac codec and all suffered from same problem.

The previous "libfaac" codec (which is what is used in current kmttg release) is much better but ffmpeg folks were forced to remove it since it does not meet GPL standards.

So at this point I do not consider the newer ffmpeg to be an "upgrade" given this problem and so at this point I don't think it's a good idea to have a release with it.
Ever since seeing this, I've been testing the new Mac tools that I packaged for you. I haven't been seeing any issues with the Mac version of aac. Can you be a bit more specific about the issues with the aac on the Windows side?

Also... If that is still available, I could throw together a Windows VM for comparison.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #1812
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I have been using handbrake because I get a good quality encode that works on both AppletTv and my iPod. Is their a reccomended profile for ffmpeg that will work on both devices?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1813
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I have been using handbrake because I get a good quality encode that works on both AppletTv and my iPod. Is their a reccomended profile for ffmpeg that will work on both devices?
Which handbrake profile are you using? The ffmpeg ff_ipod_high_res and/or ff_ipod_low_res will probably work fine for both, obviously the high_res giving better quality. Just make sure you are using 0p7g release and the "encode" folder that comes with that release since there were fixes to those profiles.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #1814
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutz View Post
Ever since seeing this, I've been testing the new Mac tools that I packaged for you. I haven't been seeing any issues with the Mac version of aac. Can you be a bit more specific about the issues with the aac on the Windows side?

Also... If that is still available, I could throw together a Windows VM for comparison.
It is likely source mpeg file specific and it's not the easiest thing to pick out without earphones. I put encoded recordings on my portable player when going to the gym. I noticed twice that when playing back the recordings that were generated using the new ffmpeg annoying pops in the audio every few seconds. Seeing as I had switched out to new ffmpeg I reverted back to older one using libfaac and generated mp4 from same source and played it on my portable player and that one came out fine. That was the case for 2 other source recordings as well from same channel (same news program).
I can see if I can generate a short source clip that you can encode from and an accompanying mp4 encoding with the audio glitches, but I'm fairly convinced it's a bug in the source, so doesn't matter what platform you use. (As I mentioned I tried several of newer ffmpeg builds that spanned the last 6 months and all had the same problem).

Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #1815
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Which handbrake profile are you using? The ffmpeg ff_ipod_high_res and/or ff_ipod_low_res will probably work fine for both, obviously the high_res giving better quality. Just make sure you are using 0p7g release and the "encode" folder that comes with that release since there were fixes to those profiles.

I am currently using a handbrake "universal" profile. You don't supply this one but I munged it together from the handbrake ui. It works pretty well but the encode is really slow. Wondering, if ffmpeg might be faster.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #1816
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I am currently using a handbrake "universal" profile. You don't supply this one but I munged it together from the handbrake ui. It works pretty well but the encode is really slow. Wondering, if ffmpeg might be faster.
There is little doubt the ones I mentioned will be faster. If you have multi-core CPU make sure to turn set the kmttg setting appropriately to use them as that will help.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #1817
moyekj

v0p7h version released

v0p7h version is now released. Please see release notes for details:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

NOTE: This release was updated to use newer ffmpeg build which also required changes to encoding profiles. So install kmttg to a fresh location to make sure you get the up to date versions of 3rd party tools and "encode" folder. For auto transfers setup you can copy your auto.ini file from previous installation folder over to new folder so you don't have to redo auto transfers.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #1818
abnersnell

Quote:

NOTE: This release was updated to use newer ffmpeg build which also required changes to encoding profiles. So install kmttg to a fresh location to make sure you get the up to date versions of 3rd party tools and "encode" folder. For auto transfers setup you can copy your auto.ini file from previous installation folder over to new folder so you don't have to redo auto transfers.
Awesome! I got everything situated with this release but it complains when attempting to grab VideoRedo encoding profiles. Do I need to rename the VideoRedo exe in TVSuite4? I am running 595. I think the exe's are different names from VideRedoPlus vs VideoRedoSuite.

Refreshing encoding profiles
C:\Users\Abner\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD8171412680062598749.vbs (2, 1) WScript.CreateObject: Could not locate automation class named "VideoReDo.VideoReDoSilent".
Encountered problems obtaining encoding profiles from VideoRedo

Thanks for the hard work and dedication to this project. My children are growing up in a house without commercials and the WAF is very very high! ;-)

DOH! Should have read the Wiki first! Works perfectly after running VideoRedo as Administrator in Windows 7.

Last edited by abnersnell : 01-29-2010 at 04:08 PM.
abnersnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #1819
miguelakiira

Moyekj,
Thanks for your reply. KMTTG is reliably refreshing the playlist. I have been reading the auto.log quite a bit, it is indispensable! Here is the message I get when a transfer fails:

2010_01_29_15:06:19 >> DOWNLOADING K:\Video Workbench\MSNBC News Live (MSNBC_23 01_29_2010).TiVo ...
2010_01_29_15:06:19 C:\Users\Akiira\Desktop\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\Akiira\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie6646847331887724329 .tmp --url ___://192.168.137.56:80/download/MSNBC%20News%20Live.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=189440 --output "K:\Video Workbench\MSNBC News Live (MSNBC_23 01_29_2010).TiVo"
2010_01_29_15:06:27 NOTE: K:\Video Workbench\MSNBC News Live (MSNBC_23 01_29_2010).TiVo: size=0.00 MB elapsed=00:00:08 (0.00 Mbps)
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: <h2>Server Busy</h2>
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Download failed to file: K:\Video Workbench\MSNBC News Live (MSNBC_23 01_29_2010).TiVo
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Exit code: 0
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 31 0 31 0 0 283 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 283
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 31 0 31 0 0 283 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 251 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 251
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 251 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 1 seconds. 3 retries
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Warning: left.
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Throwing away 51 bytes
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 817 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 817
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 817 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 2 seconds. 2 retries
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 363 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 363
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 363 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Warning: Transient problem: HTTP error Will retry in 4 seconds. 1 retries
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 272 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 272
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: 0 51 0 51 0 0 272 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0

It sounds, like you say, that the server is blocked. Is this the web server online, or the ftp server in the actual Tivo? Is there anyway to prevent these drop outs from occuring?
The odd thing is that I have multiple Tivos, and they fail transfering at the same time. I guess this would confirm that it is an issue with the online web server, although I don't understand why restarting the Tivos would correct the problem. Is there automated scripting that can be done to reset the server if it fails? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #1820
miguelakiira

ps I took "http" out of the above auto.log
Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #1821
bkdtv

abner,

Do you have the latest build of VideoRedo TVSuite v4? If you just installed it, and are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, be sure to run it as administrator at least once. Right-click on VideoRedo and select "run as administrator."
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #1822
bkdtv

Quote:

The new version is excellent. The integration of custom VideoRedo v4 encode profiles is a very powerful feature.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #1823
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The new version is excellent. The integration of custom VideoRedo v4 encode profiles is a very powerful feature.
Thanks, I am very happy with the updates in this release. For those using VideoRedo even if not upgrading to TVSuite 4 version this release has some good changes as well that make updating worthwhile.

Hopefully the new ffmpeg won't cause problems... I'm still not totally happy about the ffmpeg "aac" codec compared to the older "libfaac" one but hopefully the issues are isolated to me and I know how to workaround them.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #1824
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
Moyekj,
Thanks for your reply. KMTTG is reliably refreshing the playlist. I have been reading the auto.log quite a bit, it is indispensable! Here is the message I get when a transfer fails:
<snip>
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: <h2>Server Busy</h2>
2010_01_29_15:06:27 ERROR: Download failed to file: K:\Video Workbench\MSNBC News Live (MSNBC_23 01_29_2010).TiVo
<snip>
It sounds, like you say, that the server is blocked. Is this the web server online, or the ftp server in the actual Tivo? Is there anyway to prevent these drop outs from occuring?
The odd thing is that I have multiple Tivos, and they fail transfering at the same time. I guess this would confirm that it is an issue with the online web server, although I don't understand why restarting the Tivos would correct the problem. Is there automated scripting that can be done to reset the server if it fails? Thanks for your help!
It's the internal web server of the TiVo itself that sometimes gets into a bad state and will return Server Busy message or similar. These TiVos have very wimpy processor & memory so it looks like it doesn't take much to overload it since downloads are pretty CPU & memory intensive for the TiVos. Note that if you have web downloads or use TiVo Desktop and/or pyTivo at the same time you are trying to transfer recordings from the TiVos that can easily lead to the above state, so try and run downloads from TiVos at "quiet" times when you are not transferring anything else to or from your TiVo.

Some have reported that using File->Reset TiVo web server from kmttg has been able to fix the issue, but I think most of the time it requires a TiVo reboot to fix once it gets into that state.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #1825
bkdtv

I have my kmttg window configured as follows:

Whenever open/close or navigate folders in kmttg, it resets to this view:

I've probably asked this before, but at some point will you add the ability to remember a user's column widths?

I would also like the ability to show more programs on the screen. In 7h, there is a 0.6:1 proportional limit on the size of recordings list. I would like to see that limit increased from 0.6 to at least 0.75.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-29-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #1826
bkdtv

Quote:
You might move the "Download TiVo Files in Transport Stream Format" to the General tab and rename it as "TiVo download format" with drop down selections for MPG and TS.
Disregard this suggestion until TiVo adds support for TS to the U.S. boxes.

Quote:
I'm still learning Java GUI programming. I just made an adjustment that allows all 3 panels to be stretched vertically very flexibly now instead of the somewhat restrained area in v0p7h. That means for example you can devote most vertical area now to the Now Playing List and leave just a tiny area for the other panels. I can get you a test version to try out once I put in a fix for the above folder view issue.

The way it's programmed now all tabs are created horizontally only. I suppose depending on your font size setting it starts to wrap tabs around. For me on my Vista machine I get just a single row of tabs right now.

Makes sense to bundle these currently somewhat distributed options into a group.
Just tried beta v86a. It's perfect!

I wouldn't mind the ability to hide the record times (under the date field), but that's more of a nitpick. V86a works very well for me as is.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-30-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #1827
moyekj

Quote:
I have my kmttg window configured as follows:
I've probably asked this before, but at some point will you add the ability to remember a user's column widths?

I would also like the ability to show more programs on the screen. In 7h, there is a 0.6:1 proportional limit on the size of recordings list. I would like to see that limit increased from 0.6 to at least 0.75.
I never use folders in kmttg since I usually don't have many recordings stored on my Tivos, so I guess that goes largely untested by me. I think the problem may be the table compaction function is not being called when returning from folder view. Should be able to fix that issue.

I'm still learning Java GUI programming. I just made an adjustment that allows all 3 panels to be stretched vertically very flexibly now instead of the somewhat restrained area in v0p7h. That means for example you can devote most vertical area now to the Now Playing List and leave just a tiny area for the other panels. I can get you a test version to try out once I put in a fix for the above folder view issue.

Quote:
You might reorganize the Configuration dialog as follows.

Top line order: General, File Settings, Programs, Program Settings, TiVos
Bottom line order: VideoRedo, PyTivo
The way it's programmed now all tabs are created horizontally only. I suppose depending on your font size setting it starts to wrap tabs around. For me on my Vista machine I get just a single row of tabs right now.

Quote:
Between General and File Settings, you might create and insert a new "Display" or "View" tab with the following options:

Show
Tooltips
Full paths in the Job Monitor (default checked)
Copy protected files in table (default unchecked)
Recorded times (default unchecked)
Channel numbers (default checked), and if checked, selection for Min # Channel Digits
Makes sense to bundle these currently somewhat distributed options into a group.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #1828
sender_name
XM 202!

Just an FYI for those who are interested...

Today it took the hb_Televison 3.5 hours to convert a 3.92gb mpeg (1hr show converted from a .tivo to commercial free 42min mpeg via VideoReDo) to a 448mb mkv.
System is a Intel Quad Core 9550 @2.83ghz, 4gb of ram and Vista 64. All 4 cores are active in the config.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #1829
AudioNutz

Wow... 3.5hrs... At that rate, you might as well watch the commercials!

Handbrake performance is pretty slow on the Mac side too, but luckily ffmpeg only takes around 22 minutes to encode a 60 minute show after it's been comcut. (This is on hardware built in 2003, but if I use newer hardware, I can encode the same show in less than 6 minutes)
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #1830
sender_name
XM 202!

I actually cut/convert it to share it with some 'friends' so i need to put it into a decent size/quality package...I have been trying to figure out what people use for the 1.09gb MKV 1hr tv show rips on the intertubes for bittorrent...