TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1741
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post
Is it possible to extend http_timeout so the logs reflect whether the push was successful?
In SVN I changed timeout from 10 to 60 seconds so next release will get that change (of course you can build your own kmttg.jar from SVN as well if you want change right away).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #1742
moyekj

Need help testing next version on Mac OSX

In next version I'm planning on upgrading to newer version of ffmpeg. Unfortunately that means x264 encoding profiles & those with aac audio all have to be updated. I've got everything working on windows but since I don't have Mac to test with I need help from any Mac users to ensure things are still working. So if you have a Mac and would like to help out please visit this issue and give the beta version a shot:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=79
(NOTE: Please install in a fresh/new directory and let kmttg download the helper tools). I'm not sure if the ffmpeg in there is universal or PPC which is one of the things I need feedback on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #1743
luvmytivo

I'm running 7g on a mac, and for some reason the Atomic Parsley step is not running on my auto jobs. The .m4v.txt file is sitting there right next to the .m4v but according to my logs it's just download, decrypt, encode, and move on - no AP calls at all.

I have double checked the AP location in the configuration, and it points to a working copy of AP (the one that came with the kmttg download), so any other troubleshooting steps I can try out? I've got 80 files downloaded that are in the process of decrypting and encoding in an auto job, and I'm gonna have to stop it and start over...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #1744
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmytivo View Post
I'm running 7g on a mac, and for some reason the Atomic Parsley step is not running on my auto jobs. The .m4v.txt file is sitting there right next to the .m4v but according to my logs it's just download, decrypt, encode, and move on - no AP calls at all.

I have double checked the AP location in the configuration, and it points to a working copy of AP (the one that came with the kmttg download), so any other troubleshooting steps I can try out? I've got 80 files downloaded that are in the process of decrypting and encoding in an auto job, and I'm gonna have to stop it and start over...
Are the encoding jobs finishing normally? i.e. Do you see the following message in the log files:
Code:
encoding job completed: ...
---DONE--- job=encode output=file.m4v
Other than that as long as AP is properly configured and both file.m4v & file.m4v.txt exist it should be scheduling the job. Here's the relevant code to determine if to schedule AP or not:
Code:

// Schedule an AtomicParsley job if relevant
            if (file.isFile(config.AtomicParsley)) {
               job.metaFile = job.encodeFile + ".txt";
               if ( ! file.isFile(job.metaFile) ) {
                  job.metaFile = job.mpegFile_cut + ".txt";
               }
               if ( ! file.isFile(job.metaFile) ) {
                  job.metaFile = job.mpegFile + ".txt";
               }
               if ( file.isFile(job.metaFile) &&
                    (job.encodeFile.toLowerCase().endsWith(".mp4") ||
                     job.encodeFile.toLowerCase().endsWith(".m4v")) ) {
                  // Schedule AP job

Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #1745
luvmytivo

[quote=moyekj;7719205]Are the encoding jobs finishing normally? i.e. Do you see the following message in the log files:
Code:
Yes. I just ran a test of doing this with a manual download (instead of the 'auto' one I had set up) and for the single file I d'ld it worked. I will re-run my auto and try it again...
Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #1746
luvmytivo

[quote=luvmytivo;7719267]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Are the encoding jobs finishing normally? i.e. Do you see the following message in the log files:
Code:
Yes. I just ran a test of doing this with a manual download (instead of the 'auto' one I had set up) and for the single file I d'ld it worked. I will re-run my auto and try it again...
Ok, the auto-run didn't tag my file this time either, so I'll just do them manually for now.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #1747
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmytivo View Post
Ok, the auto-run didn't tag my file this time either, so I'll just do them manually for now.
That's very odd because it's the exact same code being called whether you do it in GUI or auto mode...

Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #1748
dwalzer

kmttg only downloading partial file from Tivo

Hi, I am running kmttg v0p7g on an old laptop (Win XP SP3, Pentium 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM). It's slow but I don't care about the speed. It connects to a Tivo HD over my home network. The issue is that it does not complete downloading the entire .tivo files from the Tivo, even though I don't get any error messages. For example, this is from the kmttg.log file:

Code:
How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident
Recorded Mon 12/21/2009 01:30 AM on 140=LIFE, Duration = 20 mins
Ted relies on his friends to fill in the gaps left in his memory by a night of partying. 
C:\Documents and Settings\dwalzer\Desktop\kmttg\tivo_output\How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident (12_21_2009).TiVo: size=727.54 MB elapsed=00:17:30 (5.81 Mbps)
---DONE--- job=download output=C:\Documents and Settings\dwalzer\Desktop\kmttg\tivo_output\How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident (12_21_2009).TiVo
The file in question is a 20-minute clip, but the file size on the Tivo is about 1GB (according to kmttg). However, it only downloads a partial file -- in this case, 727MB. I've done repeated tests; the percentage downloaded varies and seems random. Following this, it seems to decrypt and re-encode the file normally, but obviously only on the partial file it downloaded. Any ideas why it is doing this? Thanks so much for any help!
dwalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #1749
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalzer View Post
Hi, I am running kmttg v0p7g on an old laptop (Win XP SP3, Pentium 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM). It's slow but I don't care about the speed. It connects to a Tivo HD over my home network. The issue is that it does not complete downloading the entire .tivo files from the Tivo, even though I don't get any error messages. For example, this is from the kmttg.log file:

Code:
How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident
Ted relies on his friends to fill in the gaps left in his memory by a night of partying. 
C:\Documents and Settings\dwalzer\Desktop\kmttg\tivo_output\How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident (12_21_2009).TiVo: size=727.54 MB elapsed=00:17:30 (5.81 Mbps)
---DONE--- job=download output=C:\Documents and Settings\dwalzer\Desktop\kmttg\tivo_output\How I Met Your Mother - The Pineapple Incident (12_21_2009).TiVo
The file in question is a 20-minute clip, but the file size on the Tivo is about 1GB (according to kmttg). However, it only downloads a partial file -- in this case, 727MB. I've done repeated tests; the percentage downloaded varies and seems random. Following this, it seems to decrypt and re-encode the file normally, but obviously only on the partial file it downloaded. Any ideas why it is doing this? Thanks so much for any help!
This seems a little odd:
i.e. On the TiVo itself it appears to be a 20 minute recording. If there are commercials it should be 30 minutes. Did you check the recording on the TiVo itself to see if it is complete there? Could be that it is intentionally a partial 20 minute recording in which case see below.

What does Mediainfo report as the total time for the kmttg downloaded TiVo file?

A couple of notes on file sizes reported by TiVo:
1. The sizes are those as stored on TiVo. When it transfers to a computer it remuxes and re-encrypts (CPU intensive and hence why transfers are slow) and file sizes always decrease. Since it's not predictable how much the file sizes decrease during transfers kmttg will use the TiVo reported file size and as a result the transfer will always complete before 100% progress indication.
2. File sizes for partial recordings reported by TiVo can be way off.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #1750
dwalzer

Yes, on the Tivo it's just a partial recording of the program, but that's OK. I've been using it as a test file simply because its 1GB file size makes it easy to see total compression in the final encoded output. All that aside, my point is that the file does not complete downloading -- I might end up with only 15 minutes of the original 20, or maybe only 2 minutes. As I said, it seems random how much I get.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #1751
moyekj

That is very odd. I've heard of cases of partial transfers due to some problem with TiVo doing the TTG conversion, but usually those always fail at same spot, not random.
kmttg uses "curl" to do the transfer and reports any problems there may be. Next time you initiate a transfer double click on the download job in job monitor and you can see the curl output statistics and messages as it downloads. Perhaps look for anything unusual there. Also make sure you have enough room available to where you are downloading files to.
Other than that if you try and download via a web browser do you get random results as well?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #1752
dwalzer

The problem just occurred again. I watched the download quit prematurely, and got the following error message from curl:

curl: (56) Received problem 3 in the chunky parser
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #1753
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalzer View Post
The problem just occurred again. I watched the download quit prematurely, and got the following error message from curl:

Sounds like erratic responses from your TiVo web server. Have you tried rebooting your TiVo? What's your network setup? Do you have wireless in the picture?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #1754
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
What's your network setup? Do you have wireless in the picture?
Agreed. Sounds like wireless network drop-out.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #1755
dwalzer

I have not tried rebooting the Tivo yet. Network setup is solid -- both Tivo and PC are hardwired directly to the Fios router; no wireless. I'm trying to isolate if the problem is worse when it's working on a queue of tasks as opposed to just a single file. Maybe I'm just overloading the PC. It is an old machine after all (even though I've left Active Job Limit and Encoding CPU Cores at 1).
Old 01-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #1756
moyekj

I don't think the PC is the problem. A download doesn't take much in terms of resources. The download speed is throttled by TiVo slow processor which means disk I/O is pretty low and there should be not much CPU overhead involved. Guess you can bring up Task Manager to check but I think you will find that for the download task itself there shouldn't be much overhead.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #1757
dwalzer

OK, thanks a million for all your help! I will go noodle around with it some more, reboot the Tivo, and report back when I think I've solved it.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #1758
VideoGrabber

> I've heard of cases of partial transfers due to some problem with TiVo doing the TTG conversion, but usually those always fail at same spot, not random. <

I ran into that a lot in the early days of TTG, but an update a year ago took care of most of it. Though it's happening again now, consistently on one channel that the cableco started inserting SD commercials into HD broadcasts. So my grief has returned. (And it's something other than just the Dimension Changes, since TTG handles those fine, and I clean them up in VideoReDo.)

When TTG fails in this way, it's always at the same byte, which is a discontinuity in the stream. It also doesn't matter externally how the transfer is being handled (web browser, TiVoDesk, DesktopLite, kmttg/curl, etc.) Even though the TiVo can "play thru" whatever the problem is in the stream, the internal TTG software will throw up it's hands and give up, even though it knows there's GB's more data in the stream. Pretty sad, actually. (I.e., anything the TiVo video engine can play, TTG should be able to transfer, and simply skip over the packets it has a problem with.)

> Next time you initiate a transfer double click on the download job in job monitor and you can see the curl output statistics and messages as it downloads. <

I'm not seeing that. Where is it located/accessed?

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #1759
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
When TTG fails in this way, it's always at the same byte, which is a discontinuity in the stream. It also doesn't matter externally how the transfer is being handled (web browser, TiVoDesk, DesktopLite, kmttg/curl, etc.) Even though the TiVo can "play thru" whatever the problem is in the stream, the internal TTG software will throw up it's hands and give up, even though it knows there's GB's more data in the stream. Pretty sad, actually. (I.e., anything the TiVo video engine can play, TTG should be able to transfer, and simply skip over the packets it has a problem with.)
Yes, that's what I was referring to. In this case since the behavior is erratic/random so I believe it's a different problem to what you describe above, but maybe not.

Quote:
> Next time you initiate a transfer double click on the download job in job monitor and you can see the curl output statistics and messages as it downloads. <

I'm not seeing that. Where is it located/accessed?
The list below the CANCEL JOBS button has a list of currently active and queued jobs. If you double-click on an active "download" task it pops up a "Task stdout/stderr" window showing you the output of curl in stderr pane.
This applies to any kind of job that is currently running and where you may be interested in seeing program stdout/stderr.
(The above feature is documented and there is also a tooltip that tells you as much if you hover over a job.)

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #1760
VideoGrabber

> The list below the CANCEL JOBS button has a list of currently active and queued jobs. If you double-click on an active "download" task it pops up a "Task stdout/stderr" window showing you the output of curl in stderr pane. <

Cool. Thanks! (though a monospaced font would make the columns line up better.)

- Tim
VideoGrabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #1761
dwalzer

Quote:
I don't think the PC is the problem. A download doesn't take much in terms of resources. The download speed is throttled by TiVo slow processor which means disk I/O is pretty low and there should be not much CPU overhead involved. Guess you can bring up Task Manager to check but I think you will find that for the download task itself there shouldn't be much overhead.
Monitored Task Manager, and well, the old girl's working pretty hard. On a download, curl + other stuff pushes the CPU to 100%; on an encode, ffmpeg or handbrake encoder processes ALONE drive the CPU to 100%. No wonder she chokes when multitasking on a kmttg queue. Time for a new machine...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #1762
oldgeezer19

Copy protection turned on when file copied back to Tivo

I just started using kmttgv0p7g to transfer and decode Tivo files to my PC's.

I love the program and the ability to perform decryption and commercial detection and cutting with a single tool.

I'm experiencing one problem, however.

I have used kmttg to decrypt Tivo files which I had previously transferred to my PC with Tivo Desktop prior to installing kmttg. I then used pyTivo to transfer the resulting mpeg files back to my TivoHD.

After these files were transferred back onto the Tivo they appeared in the Tivo Desktop and kmttg GUI's as being copy protected.

As a test, I transferred a Tivo file to my PC using kmttg without any decryption or other processing. I then transferred the Tivo file back to the Tivo using pyTivo.

The Tivo file that had been transferred back was now copy protected.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Is there a solution for this, or a workaround?

Thanks.
oldgeezer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #1763
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgeezer19 View Post
As a test, I transferred a Tivo file to my PC using kmttg without any decryption or other processing. I then transferred the Tivo file back to the Tivo using pyTivo.

The Tivo file that had been transferred back was now copy protected.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Is there a solution for this, or a workaround?
If you use pyTivo "push" method (either via kmttg "push" task or through pyTivo web server) then they will always be copy protected. If however you initiate transfers from PC->TiVo from your TiVo instead then they will NOT be copy protected.
i.e. Pulls are not copy-protected but pushes always are.
It's a shame that is the case since pushes are a lot more convenient, but no solution to that side-effect has been found yet by pyTivo developers.
(It's not anything pyTivo is doing per se, any transfers scheduled via mind.tivo.com server are marked as copy protected and TiVo Desktop auto transfers suffer from the same side-effect).

Last edited by moyekj : 01-15-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #1764
oldgeezer19

Quote:
If you use pyTivo "push" method (either via kmttg "push" task or through pyTivo web server) then they will always be copy protected. If however you initiate transfers from PC->TiVo from your TiVo instead then they will NOT be copy protected.
i.e. Pulls are not copy-protected but pushes always are.
It's a shame that is the case since pushes are a lot more convenient, but no solution to that side-effect has been found yet by pyTivo developers.
(It's not anything pyTivo is doing per se, any transfers scheduled via mind.tivo.com server are marked as copy protected and TiVo Desktop auto transfers suffer from the same side-effect).
OK, too bad that's how it works, but, at least there's a workaround.

Thanks for the explanation and quick reply.
oldgeezer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #1765
jharvey31

Decoding Tivo HD .tivo file to .mpg only gives me audio

I have a Tivo HD (not Series 3, just HD), and I'm trying to download and view my first video on my Windows 7 PC.

I first installed Tivo Desktop (as Admin), set up the MAK, and did the upgrade to Plus with my license key. All seemed fine.

I then tried downloading via kmttg and decrypting. The result of this is a .mpg file, however when I try to play in WMP, all I get is audio.

I have also tried downloading directly from the web UI with Firefox, and decrypting that file yielded the same results.

For reference, here's the log lines in kmttg for decrypting:

>> DECRYPTING C:\Users\John\Documents\kmttg_v0p7g\Sesame Street - Frankly, Its a Habitat (01_08_2010).TiVo ...
C:\Users\John\Documents\kmttg_v0p7g\tivodecode\tivodecode.ex e --mak MAK --out "C:\Users\John\Documents\kmttg_v0p7g\Sesame Street - Frankly, Its a Habitat (01_08_2010).mpg" "C:\Users\John\Documents\kmttg_v0p7g\Sesame Street - Frankly, Its a Habitat (01_08_2010).TiVo"

I have read in some threads and I ought to be able to play a .tivo file directly in WMP, but this gives me error C00D11B1.

I'm speculating that this might be a codec or DRM issue, but I'm at a loss as to where to look.
jharvey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #1766
jbernardis

Download videolan media player (VLC). I think it is a better player than wmp and it plays everything I throw at it. If nothing else, you'll have some additional evidence as you try to solve your original problem.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #1767
moyekj

As stated VLC is always a good thing to have installed since it is self-sufficient (does not depend on windows installed codecs). If you want to play mpg and a bunch of other formats via WMP install the k-lite full codec pack.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #1768
jharvey31

Quote:
As stated VLC is always a good thing to have installed since it is self-sufficient (does not depend on windows installed codecs). If you want to play mpg and a bunch of other formats via WMP install the k-lite full codec pack.
This worked like a charm, thanks for the tip!
jharvey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #1769
moyekj

New VideoRedo w/ H.264 support

For those using VideoRedo and not already up to speed on latest VideoRedo developments there is now a pre-release version of TVSuiteV4 that among other things contains H.264 support (reading, editing, encoding):
http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/forumdisplay.php?f=39

There are still some kinks to be worked out for generating MP4 files via batch mode and AC3 audio in MP4 container is not there yet but is coming soon, but it's shaping up to look very promising for generating MP4/H.264/AC3 files compatible with TiVo. (Note that it generates mp4 files with moov atom already at front of file as well so no need for further processing to make it fully TiVo compatible).

So I envision hopefully not too long from now even more VRD integration within kmttg with options to encode using VRD built in and user-defined encoding profiles.
Of course this new VRD version has become so full featured that it really largely negates the need for other tools such as this one for users that don't care about a lot of automation.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #1770
jbernardis

Lately I have been having trouble with curl transferring programs to my PC. I get the following in the log:

Quote:
C:\downloads\The National Parks Americas Best Idea - The Scripture of Nature (1851-1890) (09_28_2009).TiVo: size=187.65 MB elapsed=00:02:52 (9.15 Mbps)
Download failed to file: C:\downloads\The National Parks Americas Best Idea - The Scripture of Nature (1851-1890) (09_28_2009).TiVo
Exit code: 56
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 31 0 31 0 0 152 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 152
0 31 0 31 0 0 152 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- 0:00:01 --:--:-- 0
0 31 0 187M 0 0 1113k 0 --:--:-- 0:02:52 --:--:-- 1244k
0 31 0 187M 0 0 1113k 0 --:--:-- 0:02:52 --:--:-- 1247k
Any ideas what might be wrong? When I try the file again, sometimes it works, but if it does fail again, it fails at a different point. Obviously the larger the file, the more likely it will fail.

My network is basically wired (100Mbit), although tivo in question is connected wirelessly. The wireless adapter is literally 6 inches from the WAP, and the signal strength is never less than 95 or so - so I don't think that's the problem.

I was thinking of installing a 4 port switch in front of the WAP so that I could connect the tivo with a wire. Beyond that, can anybody think of anything I might be able to do? One thing I was wondering was whether or not there is a curl option to pace the transfer - make it go a little slower. Not sure if this would help or not, but I don't know enough about curl to even know if this is possible
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote