TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #1681
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Is it possible that pyTivo is only set to do "retrieval" as an encrypted .TiVo file (haven't used it for TiVo->PC, so not even sure if it has a setting for anything else), whereas kmttg is setup to do retrieval + decoding + conversion to MP4 (or some other) format?

Just guessing as to what would cause a large time difference between the two.
I know what you're asking, and kmttg is just pulling the .Tivo file. That's all that's queued up, and that's all that is present when the transfer is complete.

Unless there's some hidden transcoding going on in kmttg, outside of pyTivo, that kmttg uses to product the .Tivo file?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #1682
kearygriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
I know what you're asking, and kmttg is just pulling the .Tivo file. That's all that's queued up, and that's all that is present when the transfer is complete.

Unless there's some hidden transcoding going on in kmttg, outside of pyTivo, that kmttg uses to product the .Tivo file?
Nope, if just the .TiVo file is showing up then that's probably not the issue-
When you run kmttg there are some checkboxes next to "Start Jobs" that tell kmttg what to do with the .TiVo file after it retrieves it. Just make sure none of them are checked (decrypt, encode, etc). The only exception might be having "metadata" checked which is quick & downloads the pyTivo format metadata (show information) with the .TiVo file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kearygriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #1683
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearygriffin View Post
Nope, if just the .TiVo file is showing up then that's probably not the issue-
When you run kmttg there are some checkboxes next to "Start Jobs" that tell kmttg what to do with the .TiVo file after it retrieves it. Just make sure none of them are checked (decrypt, encode, etc). The only exception might be having "metadata" checked which is quick & downloads the pyTivo format metadata (show information) with the .TiVo file.
Rght, nothing is checked. And it's just the one queue entry in the middle of the window, taking 9+ hours to download a 2 hour movie.

Just to be sure, I'm downloading the same movie directly in pyTivo, and it will take about 2.5 hours (it's almost done, so I feel safe in that estimate).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #1684
Brillian1080p

Is there a way to install only the "Tivodirectshowfilter.dll" without installing Tivo Desktop? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm attempting to use kmttg and Videoredo without Tivo Desktop. I've read more than once that uninstalling Tivo Desktop will leave 'TivodirectShowFilter" in place. But it takes it with it on uninstallation.

I did play .tivo files with Windows Media Player to "register' the file.

Thanks for assistance, kmttg has much better features!
Brillian1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #1685
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillian1080p View Post
Is there a way to install only the "Tivodirectshowfilter.dll" without installing Tivo Desktop? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I'm attempting to use kmttg and Videoredo without Tivo Desktop. I've read more than once that uninstalling Tivo Desktop will leave 'TivodirectShowFilter" in place. But it takes it with it on uninstallation.

I did play .tivo files with Windows Media Player to "register' the file.

Thanks for assistance, kmttg has much better features!
You can achieve this by first installing TiVo Desktop completely and specifying your MAK ID during installation. Once you verify you can play .TiVo files using Media Player then you can uninstall TiVo Desktop from "Programs and Features" and use the option to retain capability to play TiVo files. This keeps TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll installed and registered which is all that is needed for VideoRedo to be able to decrypt TiVo files. That is exactly what I have done as I don't want TD installed but do want TiVoDirectShowFilter.dll installed.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #1686
Brillian1080p

Thank you sir. That's where why my question arises. I installed Tivo Desktop and verified ability to edit .tivo files with VideoRedo and play them with Media Player. But I didn't notice an option to retain files when uninstalling Tivo Desktop. I'll do it again and pay more attention this time.

There are some .dll files that you can right click and choose install. The TivoDirectShowFilter.dll does not have that option. There must be a way to register that file without installing Tivo Desktop. I'm surprised someone hasn't figured it out.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #1687
moyekj

Can someone with iPod or iPhone verify that the modified ff_ipod_high_res.enc profile below generates a compatible iPod/iPhone video file without any need for transcoding? I'm pretty confident the changes will make it work but would be nice for someone to verify. Once verify I plan to update profiles for next release. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I need feedback on all these encoding profiles since I don't have most of these portable devices. I checked iPod & iPhone detailed specs and found various problems with ff_ipod_low_res and ff_ipod_high_res profiles.
Video: Must be 30fps, so added -r 29.97
Audio: Must be 2 channel, 48KHz and 160Kbps or less, so added -ac 2 -ab 128k -ar 48000

Can someone with iPod/iPhone please correct ff_ipod_high_res.enc file under kmttg encode folder to look like below and see that it syncs without changes to iPod or iPhone and plays correctly? (NOTE: This profile is well suited for iPhone as well)
Code:
# Description (single line, keep short)
<description>
mpeg4 container, 640x480 30fps xvid video, 48KHz/128Kbps 2 chan aac audio

# Encode command or script (single line)
# Known keywords: FFMPEG, HANDBRAKE, MENCODER, PERL, INPUT, OUTPUT, PWD, CPU_CORES, SRTFILE
<command>
FFMPEG -y -i INPUT -threads CPU_CORES -vcodec libxvid -maxrate 2000k -qmin 3 -qmax 5 -bufsize 5096k -g 300 -acodec libfaac -ac 2 -ab 128k -ar 48000 -s 640x480 -r 29.97 -b 1500k -f mp4 OUTPUT

# Encoded output file extension
<extension>
mp4

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #1688
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Can someone with iPod or iPhone verify that the modified ff_ipod_high_res.enc profile below generates a compatible iPod/iPhone video file without any need for transcoding? I'm pretty confident the changes will make it work but would be nice for someone to verify. Once verify I plan to update profiles for next release. Thanks.
I just tried it with my 5th gen Nano. It works fine. Why XVID rather than x264 though? Not that it really matters for the screen size we are talking about.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #1689
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
I just tried it with my 5th gen Nano. It works fine. Why XVID rather than x264 though? Not that it really matters for the screen size we are talking about.
OK great, thanks. xvid encode is much faster than h.264 which is why I figure it's the better choice for these small screen dimensions.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #1690
robbroy

File Naming

Is there a way to add the release year to a title in Title Naming so as to easily distinguish say for example, the 1939 version of "Of Mice and Men" from the 1992 version?

If not, moyekj would you consider adding "Release Year" as a naming convention keyword as a wish list item? Thanks.
robbroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #1691
Brillian1080p

My complements and thanks to moyekj. One of the negatives for me regarding Tivodesktop is the transfer time. I've been into high definition video for many years and it's the high def video I'm most interested in. Time for transfer usually is the length of the program or longer. I realize the biggest bottleneck is the NIC in the Tivo.

I just transferred a 4gb file in 40 minutes. The QuickStream fix took another 3m17s. All wonderfully automated by kmttg.

I very much appreciate the bit rate information. Knowing which channels are compressing more than others is great!

I also love good sound. I'd like to explore possibilities of verifying the Dolby Digital bit rate.

You have me interested in video again, job well done!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #1692
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillian1080p View Post
I also love good sound. I'd like to explore possibilities of verifying the Dolby Digital bit rate.
mediainfo is a nice compact GUI utility which can give such information about video files. You can set it up so it shows up in popup menu when you right click on a file which makes it very convenient to use.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #1693
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbroy View Post
Is there a way to add the release year to a title in Title Naming so as to easily distinguish say for example, the 1939 version of "Of Mice and Men" from the 1992 version?

If not, moyekj would you consider adding "Release Year" as a naming convention keyword as a wish list item? Thanks.
Such information (like Original Air Date) is only available in extended metadata information which requires additional https calls for each show to obtain such as:
Code:
https://192.168.1.101/TiVoVideoDetails?id=3440713
So while technically possible I do intentionally avoid making additional http calls which can slow things down and bog down the TiVo web server. The only time I access extended information currently is if "metadata" task is enabled, and that task is limited intentionally to 1 at a time to minimize load on TiVo web server.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #1694
Brillian1080p

I forgot that VLC can show audio bit rate.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #1695
RedMan8

Awesome program! I selected a bunch to download, cut, and re-upload last night and this morning when I woke up, they were done!

I have a strange issue though... VideoRedo only works when I run KMTTG from the jar file. When I bring up the jar interface and select a few shows, everything works fine. When I try to run it in service mode, it downloads OK, but then VideoRedo gives an error saying:
Mpeg stream error: Tivo file open error, please check your media access key.

I can open and run VideoRedo manually just fine, and like I said, it uses VR just fine when I run the kmttg.jar interface??

I've un-installed and re-installed VideoRedo and verified that it still works normally, and in the .jar interface.
RedMan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1696
jbernardis

I've recently seen this error too, and I have found out that videoredo NEEDS tivo desktop in order to open the .tivo file. You can still use kmttg to do the decoding, but videoredo will complain with this message.

Did you recently uninstall Tivo Desktop?
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #1697
RedMan8

I read about that too, and I've always had TiVo Desktop installed, but I stop the services on start up. I thought that might have something to do with it, so I left TiVo Desktop turned on and tried it... same result.

I haven't seen anyone else mention that they can run it from the interface just fine (I'm doing it now in fact), but not in "service" mode. Service mode does everything else just fine (I tried it without any VideoRedo steps and it worked fine).

Does the kmttg service use a slightly different command to VideoRedo? Or maybe run as a different user? (I haven't specified a user or anything).

I'm going to try and grab the .vbs file that it creates. I haven't gotten the command out of there to try it yet.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #1698
moyekj

RedMan8, is your kmttg service setup to run using a Local account? If not then perhaps try to set it up to do so. Make sure that you have a password associated with your Windows login name and then setup kmttg service to use that same account as described here under WINDOWS SERVICE header section:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/..._configuration

I have my kmttg service setup that way (on Windows Vista 64) and all the VideoRedo related tasks work in service mode.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #1699
RedMan8

Great suggestion... I'm trying it now.

Is there any way I can see what is in the push queue? I have a bunch of transfers started, but the first one is still transferring so I can't tell which files I've pushed.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1700
RedMan8

It worked! Thanks moyekj!

I'm all automated now. Woo Hoo!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #1701
Mark Wilden

Is there a known problem with multiple selection? Several times, I've selected a discontinous set of files to download, but kmttg seems to want to download the unselected files in between the selected ones.
Mark Wilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #1702
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilden View Post
Is there a known problem with multiple selection? Several times, I've selected a discontinous set of files to download, but kmttg seems to want to download the unselected files in between the selected ones.
I don't recall any other posts about that and have not experienced it myself, but I don't do that very often either. What OS & Java version are you using?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #1703
Mark Wilden

Quote:
I don't recall any other posts about that and have not experienced it myself, but I don't do that very often either. What OS & Java version are you using?
This is on OS X 10.5.8 with Java 1.5. I'd like to setup a test case to show you, but I imagine that's not possible. Maybe just select four contiguous files, unselect one in the middle, and start a job on them.
Mark Wilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #1704
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilden View Post
This is on OS X 10.5.8 with Java 1.5. I'd like to setup a test case to show you, but I imagine that's not possible. Maybe just select four contiguous files, unselect one in the middle, and start a job on them.
Just tried that and it worked as expected. The 3 still selected ones were queued up and unselected one was not. This is using Windows Vista 64 & Java 1.6.x. I don't have a Mac to test with. I do have Linux available and will test it there again, but I've tried that in the past and it has worked as expected.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #1705
moyekj

v0p7g just released

v0p7g version just released. See release notes for details:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/release_notes

NOTE: If upgrading older version be sure to update the encode folder as well since there were some fixes to existing profiles as well as new encoding profiles added.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #1706
RedMan8

Wow, this is fantastic!

The only manual step that I still do, is to change the seriesID and name so the pushed files go into a custom folder. I like to add the text "[cut]" to the show name so I can tell which folder has the real shows and which one is commercial free.

Currently, I have to tell all my auto transfers NOT to push at the end. After it cuts a few shows I go in and manually change the .txt files so the new folders have "[cut]" at the end, then I manually push the files.

Does anyone know a way to automate this step?

I thought about creating my own script and adding it as "custom", but the documentation says that will run last... which means I still can't auto-push because that would happen before my script.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #1707
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMan8 View Post
Wow, this is fantastic!

The only manual step that I still do, is to change the seriesID and name so the pushed files go into a custom folder. I like to add the text "[cut]" to the show name so I can tell which folder has the real shows and which one is commercial free.

Currently, I have to tell all my auto transfers NOT to push at the end. After it cuts a few shows I go in and manually change the .txt files so the new folders have "[cut]" at the end, then I manually push the files.

Does anyone know a way to automate this step?

I thought about creating my own script and adding it as "custom", but the documentation says that will run last... which means I still can't auto-push because that would happen before my script.
You can disable auto-push in kmttg, and add a push step to a custom script using cURL:

Code:
"C:\Program Files\cURL\curl.exe" -s -d "Command=Push&Container=%Container%&File=%File%&tsn=%tsn%" "http://localhost:9032/TivoConnect?"
%Container% would be the name of the pyTivo share that contains the file,
%File% would be the relative path to the file,
%tsn% would be the name of the DVR you want to push to, and
"http://localhost:9032/TivoConnect?" would be the pyTivo server web address.

Determining the %variable% values is the tricky part, but not impossible!

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #1708
RedMan8

ha... I never thought of that! duh!

I have a backup of a log file that has the curl command already. I can use that to figure out the variables.

That's perfect, thanks orangeboy!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #1709
RedMan8

ETA:
I think I got it. I was using the wrong name for the "Container". The command completed without any errors, but I won't know if the file pushed until some other files are done transferring (see my question in the next post)

ugh, I'm so close, but I can't get the curl command correct!

I left off the -s so I can see the output, and it says "Unsupported Command"

Quote:
<html>
<body>
<h3>Unsupported Command</h3>
Query:
<ul>
<li>tsn: ['Living Room']</li>
<li>Container: ['Push']</li>
<li>Command: ['Push']</li>
<li>File: ['/Snapped/Snapped - Monique Turenne (01_03_2010)_cut.mpg']</li>
</ul>
</body>
</html>

Last edited by RedMan8 : 01-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #1710
RedMan8

one more thing... I still can't figure out how to find the items that are currently in the "push queue". I think I have a couple items pushed (through the pyTiVo web interface), but I won't know for sure until it's done pushing the current item (and starts pushing the next).